Author Topic: What can you do if on a deadlift your gym doesn't have enough plates?  (Read 4648 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
My gym has almost nothing, so what can be done to add weight? ???
I hate the State.

Meso_z

• Getbig V

add people.  ;D

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
go to a new gym

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
go to a new gym

Besides that option?
I hate the State.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
Add bands?  Stand on a platform?  Bring a bag full of your own plates?  Switch to 1-arm?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
maybe try doing them at the end of your workout deicide.

Per Se

• Getbig III

You're either retardedly strong, or go to a shit gym lol!

What's ur max dead out of interest?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Off a platform might help you for a bit. If you really get stuck use a platform and tie dumbbells to/off the bar. It sounds silly but was somewhat common in the old days when lifters used bumpers or thick "deep dish" plates and need to add weight to the bar, but didn't have enough space. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
You're either retardedly strong, or go to a shit gym lol!

What's ur max dead out of interest?

My gym is shit. It is the university gym. It was cheap and signed on for a year so I have to make the best of it.

Max? I don't know. I did 160kg once for 5 reps.
I hate the State.

Charlys69

• Getbig III
you signed up for a gym thatīs shit... ???   man, thatīs your problem...... :-\

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: What can you do if on a deadlift your gym doesn't have enough plates?
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 03:27:25 AM »
you signed up for a gym thatīs shit... ???   man, thatīs your problem...... :-\

for 1 year.....working up to 160 kg....then doing just single reps....resting 5-10 seconds between each rep....i guess you can start with
8-10 reps that way....after 1 year you normally can lift this weight 20 times in that fashion... and yout back will be much thicker...

"after this" switch to another gym !!

Convenience and money; super cheap + 10 minute walk from me.
I hate the State.

Dropkick

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 05:14:56 AM »
Suggest to the gym that they purchase more heavy plates?

Per Se

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 05:25:10 AM »
My gym is shit. It is the university gym. It was cheap and signed on for a year so I have to make the best of it.

Max? I don't know. I did 160kg once for 5 reps.

3 and a half plates for 5 reps
40kg dumbells on the incline
Weighing 160 odd pounds

...your strength sounds pretty good to me...this "THG" stuff is a bit silly isn't it?
Just carry on doing what u do, and appreciate the results as they come.   8)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 05:27:50 AM »
3 and a half plates for 5 reps
40kg dumbells on the incline
Weighing 160 odd pounds

...your strength sounds pretty good to me...this "THG" stuff is a bit silly isn't it?
Just carry on doing what u do, and appreciate the results as they come.   8)

It's ok.

Hmm...I wonder if I hung a dumbbell around my neck...? for extra weight on the deadlift.
I hate the State.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 08:38:56 AM »
If your into true BB'ing you may find that you really do not need heavy DL's for your goals. Assuming heavy, lower rep DL'ing produced serious muscle mass for everyone can be misleading. Most guy's have crap style anyway (check out some of the DL'ing vid's shown by GB members), which only invites injury as more weight is used. I also assume that gym does not have heavier DB's (150 & up) where you might DL that way. Heavy DB's are an excellent way to improve the overall  starting power of the DL. Just to add, if doing one arm DL's for a while, the strength may closely match your regular two hand version rather quickly. The grip will vastly improve.

Seems as how you may be stuck at that gym, than make the most of a bad experience and try for higher rep Dl'ing per set. As 15 to 20 reps. Might surprise you as to affect these can have on muscle size & strength. Be advised that most men avoid higher rep compound exercises because "it's too much like work". Which, I guess, is the whole point of working out in the first place. Also throw in some GM'ing and bent over rows for more strength to the lower back (also outstanding lat's).

When you do join a more serious gym, your Dl'ing basic structure should be well geared for heavier lower rep work, if that is your main concern. Good Luck.

Side Bar: If allowed, you could tie two DB's, on each side, inside the collars for added leverage.
F

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 04:13:50 PM »
I ask one of the 132lbs all matching Nike gear and his ILS syndrome "tapout" tshirt wearing, loud grunting on every rep boyfriend to help weigh it down.

If you really want to have fun..ask them to "spot" you on each end of your 400+ lbs deadlift so you don't "drop it too fast" then..halfway down your last rep..let it go and watch them get jerked off their feet. If you're lucky, they fall right into eachother and bump the top of their heads together!...only happened once for me :-\...but I never forgot it ;D

...yeah..Im going to hell for that one.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 05:39:37 PM »
I ask one of the 132lbs all matching Nike gear and his ILS syndrome "tapout" tshirt wearing, loud grunting on every rep boyfriend to help weigh it down.

If you really want to have fun..ask them to "spot" you on each end of your 400+ lbs deadlift so you don't "drop it too fast" then..halfway down your last rep..let it go and watch them get jerked off their feet. If you're lucky, they fall right into eachother and bump the top of their heads together!...only happened once for me :-\...but I never forgot it ;D

...yeah..Im going to hell for that one.

LMMFAOO!!!!! LOL

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 06:31:54 PM »

Just tell them to buy some plates, it doesn't cost that much for a couple of 20kg plates.

Or stick 225lbs on the bar and aim for the magic 112 reps...

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 07:57:37 AM »
No offense but it's essentially a waste of time bothering with an endless number of training posts on behalf of someone with a distinctly defeatist attitude about a body that's not that bad. Who claims that results are "all genetics" (BS), who creates a "team horrible genetics", who doesn't necessarily train hard, doesn't have a history of hard training, from which to base conclusive personal conclusions.

As per the previous thread on g & o, i instead propose alternatives such as yoga, meditation, power-walking, etc.  ;)

Besides which, DLs aren't essential for BB and are an excellent way to get injured.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 08:13:34 AM »
No offense but it's essentially a waste of time bothering with an endless number of training posts on behalf of someone with a distinctly defeatist attitude about a body that's not that bad. Who claims that results are "all genetics" (BS), who creates a "team horrible genetics", who doesn't necessarily train hard, doesn't have a history of hard training, from which to base conclusive personal conclusions.

As per the previous thread on g & o, i instead propose alternatives such as yoga, meditation, power-walking, etc.  ;)

Besides which, DLs aren't essential for BB and are an excellent way to get injured.

Well, with encouragement like that, it is no wonder I sometimes feel that way. ::)
I hate the State.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 09:49:21 AM »
Well, with encouragement like that, it is no wonder I sometimes feel that way. ::)

Lame, because he's not honest enough to give context - i've already spent plenty of time in pms and posts both encouraging big-time and providing opinions. Lots of it. Only after this bounced off many times have i drawn conclusions about this negatron.

As weak a rebuttal as the poor attitude. I said to you see a therapist for an attitudue readjustment, or stop bitching and train hard for two years, or take up golf. ;)

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 04:04:14 PM »

Go to the parking lot & deadlift a small car.  ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 07:48:15 PM »
Actually I think Rimbaud stumbled onto something, toothy grinning face and all.

We jr high kids started  to reverse DL (Hack lift style really) an old VW bug & Fiat to get ready for football. Than would walk with them  for a few yards or so. Fun stuff than, did it just about every day after school. Set up a couple stacked used rail road ties, so we had to squat down lower and raise it up higher. Old rags (or our shirts) around the hands to help the grip. Also got down on the dirt and tried pressing out (BP lockout style) the ends. No one really did, though not too bad for 13-14 year old kids.

If Deicide has the will, there is always a way to adapt to lifting just about anything to get results. Be it a $12,000 Hammer machine or a junk yard old VW. But you have to have the fire down below to get you started. Good Luck,
F

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 09:22:56 PM »
Back extensions. Just hold some weight plates, DB's.

I often alternate these with deads.

I think deads are great, but i would rather go and do some weighted back extensions than "lifting an old VW".
No doubt about it...

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 02:16:19 AM »
Makes me  wonder what else this shit-gym is lacking...

are there any women there?