Author Topic: Iran? - are you guys watching this ?  (Read 3201 times)

body88

Re: Iran? - are you guys watching this ?
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 07:31:53 PM »
+1

The impression I get from Iranians - I've mostly spoken to Persians - in general is very different from Arabs.

They seem to long for a more secular nation, if anything.

Iranians abroad are very seldom religious. They are quite often straight up Atheists, in my experience. Whereas Arabs usually are Muslims, and even seem to become even more involved in their Islamic beliefs.

So Iran can actually shape up to a pretty good country in a relatively short while.

Yes.  They can only be held down for so long......

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 08:38:11 PM »
+1

The impression I get from Iranians - I've mostly spoken to Persians - in general is very different from Arabs.

Iranians abroad are very seldom religious. They are quite often straight up Atheists, in my experience. Whereas Arabs usually are Muslims, and even seem to become even more involved in their Islamic beliefs.

So Iran can actually shape up to a pretty good country in a relatively short while.

the reason you get that impression, is because it's true. Persians are not Arabs. Persia aka Iran was a very secular nation until the backlash against CIA intervention that ousted the Shah and ushered in the Islamic Revolution.

What we may be seeing here is another cultural Revolution, ...one which everyone seems to be shy about naming.

As I've often said... the myth that Iranians hate America and the American people is merely that... a myth.
the iranian people are very secular, ...it's their leadership that expresses Anti-American sentiment.

Anyway... the Supreme Leader is expected to address the population and the world on Friday.

Anyone with access to postings from Iran can now translate those through Google.

http://translate.google.com/translate_t?sl=fa&tl=en#
w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 08:49:39 PM »
the reason you get that impression, is because it's true. Persians are not Arabs. Persia aka Iran was a very secular nation until the backlash against CIA intervention that ousted the Shah and ushered in the Islamic Revolution.
Fcuk you dipshit.
Wrong again.

Iran = not Persia.

You got about 50% Persians in Iran, but there are plenty of other ethnicities as well, like Armenians and plenty of other European ethnicities. In the north there are Afghanic and Slavic ethnicities, in the west you got Arabs.

As empty as paradise

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 09:20:59 PM »

Fcuk you dipshit.

Who peed in your cornflakes?   :-\

Wrong again.

Iran = not Persia.

You got about 50% Persians in Iran, but there are plenty of other ethnicities as well, like Armenians and plenty of other European ethnicities. In the north there are Afghanic and Slavic ethnicities, in the west you got Arabs.

According to the CIA World Fact Book the demographics are as follows:

The main ethnic groups are Persians (51%), Azeris (24%), Gilaki and Mazandarani (8%), Kurds (7%), Arabs (3%), Baluchi (2%), Lurs (2%), Turkmens (2%), Laks, Qashqai, Armenians, Persian Jews, Georgians, Assyrians, Circassians, Tats, Mandaeans, Gypsies, Brahuis, Hazara, Kazakhs and others (1%).

Article 15 of the Iranian constitution states that the "Official language of Iran is Persian.

The presence of other ethniticites within Iran doesn't make it any less a very Persian country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persia#Demography
w

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 09:46:52 PM »
+1

I would long for a secular nation too if my life was run by Islamic nutbags

but what about Christian nutbags

I wonder what would happen if the Iranians learned about the "good news".