Author Topic: Soccer's growing popularity in America (yes, political thread).  (Read 5601 times)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Now, 99% of the time, I am a bleeding heart, whiney, liberal bitch, but I have serious problems with the growing popularity of soccer in America.  Is this a huge sign that immigrants (who dont care at all about america) who have come from poor countries, with no money but to kick round objects around are taking over our nation?  Basketball, baseball, football, volleyball, golf, tennis... these are not 3rd world sports.  They require money, specially built playing areas, equipment, organization. Soccer requires a ball and a hoarde of unsupervised children running around screaming.  Do we really want to become a nation where soccer, the most boring, generic, slow and riot inducing sport is popular?  I think not.

No one who's parents and grandparents were born in america like soccer.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: Soccer's growing popularity in America (yes, political thread).
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 02:31:29 PM »
Now, 99% of the time, I am a bleeding heart, whiney, liberal bitch, but I have serious problems with the growing popularity of soccer in America.  Is this a huge sign that immigrants (who dont care at all about america) who have come from poor countries, with no money but to kick round objects around are taking over our nation?  Basketball, baseball, football, volleyball, golf, tennis... these are not 3rd world sports.  They require money, specially built playing areas, equipment, organization. Soccer requires a ball and a hoarde of unsupervised children running around screaming.  Do we really want to become a nation where soccer, the most boring, generic, slow and riot inducing sport is popular?  I think not.

Very good thread!
S

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 02:40:11 PM »
No.  Soccer is a huge sport with younger kids (younger than high school).  It's not an immigrant thing for those kids, or their parents.  There are parts of the country that have adult soccer leagues, and many who play in those leagues are probably immigrants, but they are outnumbered by the kids who play.  Most of our best athletes abandon soccer when they get to high school. 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:41:02 PM »
No.  Soccer is a huge sport with younger kids (younger than high school).  It's not an immigrant thing for those kids, or their parents.  There are parts of the country that have adult soccer leagues, and many who play in those leagues are probably immigrants, but they are outnumbered by the kids who play.  Most of our best athletes abandon soccer when they get to high school. 

Liberal  ::)
S

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 02:43:05 PM »

I'll give you kudos for that post Traps... That was comical!

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 02:50:45 PM »
I'll give you kudos for that post Traps... That was comical!

hey man, i am really am a bleeding heart liberal... but i hate that i see kids playing soccer these days, and never baseball.  they're all brown and fat too.  baseball yes, kicking ball back and forth for hours no.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »
Well at least now they can use a real soccer ball, and not have to use the severed head of some poor bastard from the village next door anymore...  :)

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 03:21:44 PM »
Well at least now they can use a real soccer ball, and not have to use the severed head of some poor bastard from the village next door anymore...  :)

HAHA
S

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 03:26:30 PM »
It works motor coordination and cardio for younger kids and I support the sport on that level. I always encourage my son to play, until he was of age to play tackle football. Some states don't allow kids to play tackle until they're 12 or based on grade. My son played soccer. I was never very ethusiastic like the rest of the parents. U get a different brand of parent at soccer. I hate the game and find it boring as all hell, especially at the pro level.
L

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 04:20:58 PM »
love soccer.

Hereford

• Getbig V

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 05:07:41 PM »
Why?

I enjoy the game. I also play in a men's league.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 05:33:02 PM »
I've seen at least 10 hot latin women with Ronaldinho shirts, and more wearing Brazil shirts...If this is a result of Soccer's popularity, I say, let it keep getting popular.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 09:13:30 PM »
We were playing soccer like crazy in Wyoming in the 70's and 80's and I'm not sure I'd ever seen a 3rd world immigrant.  An occasional exchange student.  It's been around forever.  If it's picking up in popularity, it's probably because professional soccer is.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 09:20:23 PM »
The ratings for the Confederations Cup were lower than the World Cups from the beginning of this decade. Beckham did nothing to grow the sport when he was over here. Doubt it's growing much, if at all.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 09:31:49 PM »
I really wouldn't know, it's a boring sport compared to football.  I just know it's been around schools forever.  The popularity was just a guess.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 09:53:09 PM »
I really wouldn't know, it's a boring sport compared to football.  I just know it's been around schools forever.  The popularity was just a guess.

Aren't you a Broncos fan? Football must be pretty boring watching a team lose all the time.  :D

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 11:40:18 PM »
Aren't you a Broncos fan? Football must be pretty boring watching a team lose all the time.  :D
not any more.  I'm teamless. :(  The broncos are dead to me. >:( :(  ah fuck it, I don't need a team to love football. 

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 01:21:54 AM »
Footbally (soccer ::)) = the Greatest Sport Ever
الاسلام هو شيطانية

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 07:07:45 AM »

1. Fútbol(soccer) is very very popular in rich developed countries such as those in Western Europe.

2. In poor countries such as Cuba, Dominican Republic and Venezuela, Baseball is much more popular than Fútbol, and just as popular as it is in the US.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 07:37:27 AM »
Poor countries also excel in football; the South Americans for example - football is a religion in Brazil for instance.

Sadly the arrogance of Americans with their love for watching advertisements and commercially designed sports fail to understand the beautiful game and how it transcends every level of society.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 07:45:15 AM »
Poor countries also excel in football; the South Americans for example - football is a religion in Brazil for instance.

Sadly the arrogance of Americans with their love for watching advertisements and commercially designed sports fail to understand the beautiful game and how it transcends every level of society.

Yup, Pele and Maradona("coke snorting fat bastard"  ;D) are some of the best and most popular players in the world.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 11:36:35 AM »
Soccer is ok I guess but the field is too big and they don't score enough goals (from a spectator's view).
How about importing more rugby...thats a man's sport.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 11:45:02 AM »

Piss off! If they didn't let other teams win once in awhile they wouldn't want to play anymore.

Aren't you a Ravens fan by rights?

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 11:48:22 AM »
Footbally (soccer ::)) = the Greatest Sport Ever

not exactly my good chap.

american football > greatest sport ever