Author Topic: What would be the difference in terms of emphasis between a regular squat and a  (Read 1426 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
dumbbell squat? Would the dumbbell put more influence on the inner quads?
I hate the State.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
I thought you were traveling this week? lol anyway why don't you try it and let us know while posing the question?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I thought you were traveling this week? lol anyway why don't you try it and let us know while posing the question?

I was, see my thread titled 'A cautionary tale of the truth of Murphy's law'.

Never travel by train in the UK if you have somewhere to go to and it's important as well.

It has been cancelled to say the least... :(
I hate the State.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
It would put more emphasis on your quads overall, and less on your glutes and lower back because you can stay more upright with the dbs by your sides.

By inner quads do you mean the vastus medialis muscle of the quadriceps, or the adductor muscles of the inner thigh?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
It would put more emphasis on your quads overall, and less on your glutes and lower back because you can stay more upright with the dbs by your sides.

By inner quads do you mean the vastus medialis muscle of the quadriceps, or the adductor muscles of the inner thigh?

I mean this.
I hate the State.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
I mean this.

Front squats, and lately I've been using barbell hack squats w/ heels raised on bricks and they seem pretty good too.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Front squats, and lately I've been using barbell hack squats w/ heels raised on bricks and they seem pretty good too.

Yeah, well there is no squat rack at my gym so it is kind of the only thing I can do...
I hate the State.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
I don't really see how it would hit a certain part of the quad moreso than a regular BB squat. Generally comes down to foot positioning, i.e narrow stance = hits vastus lateralis more.
No doubt about it...

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
Yeah, well there is no squat rack at my gym so it is kind of the only thing I can do...

Yeah, I train at home with no squat rack too, that's why I do barbell hack squats. 

Or I clean the weight and do high rep front squats.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
Yeah, I train at home with no squat rack too, that's why I do barbell hack squats. 

Or I clean the weight and do high rep front squats.

This is probably your best bet.  I used to do this before I got a squat rack.

Lucky Lance

• Getbig II
A big advantage of DB squats are the fact that you can go to failure each set without worrying about getting smashed under the weight of the barbell (even in a power rack, going to absolute failure on barbell squats can be scary and dangerous).

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
problem is it tends to become more of a DB deadlift instead of a squat...