Author Topic: Anyone supplement 'neuro-nutrients'?  (Read 3863 times)

Bast175

Anyone supplement 'neuro-nutrients'?
« on: July 03, 2009, 09:55:28 PM »
aminos acids,  besides from protein powder?

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
Re: Anyone supplement 'neuro-nutrients'?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:58:53 PM »
If you're getting lots of complete protein, I've never really understood the point of supplementing free-form amino acids.  The protein you take in gets broken down into its constituent amino acids anyway.  I think it's just another way for supplement-hawkers to earn coin.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Bast175

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 10:07:14 PM »
Well, non-standard amino acids (GABA for one) aren't included in protein.  GABA supposedly has an immediate calming effect when supplemented.

Also I wonder if taking higher levels of BCAA's than what we get from food and supplemented protein can help with neurotransmitter deficiencies...

I will be trying this personally.  I ordered 10 different products... $50.

liltacobell

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 10:13:55 PM »
gaba in hight dose make u feel high as fuck and give you weird dreams.....

also how can anyone here deny the benefit of some sort of rapid release bcaa in post work out scenario??

sure its not a whole protein, but if your following protocol and having whole protein source in a sane time frame after workout, how can a bcaa NOT be beneficial from a biochemical/recovery standpoint?

necessary...maybe not....but thats not really the point of the arguement was it

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 10:29:35 PM »
Well, non-standard amino acids (GABA for one) aren't included in protein.  GABA supposedly has an immediate calming effect when supplemented.

Also I wonder if taking higher levels of BCAA's than what we get from food and supplemented protein can help with neurotransmitter deficiencies...

With the extremely high amount of protein we bodybuilders eat, I seriously doubt any of us are deficient in BCAA's.

With regard to GABA, I wasn't familiar, so I read up on it:

Although chemically it is an amino acid, GABA is rarely referred to as such in the scientific or medical communities, because the term "amino acid," used without a qualifier, refers to the alpha amino acids, which GABA is not, nor is it incorporated into proteins. 

So you are correct, we don't get it directly from the protein we injest.  But...

Organisms synthesize GABA from glutamate using the enzyme L-glutamic acid decarboxylase and pyridoxal phosphate (which is the active form of vitamin B6) as a cofactor. This process converts glutamate, the principal excitatory neurotransmitter, into the principal inhibitory neurotransmitter (GABA).[17][18]

So it seems to me that as long as your intake of glutamate (from protein) and Vitamin B6 is sufficient, you should be good to go and have no need to supplement.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 10:36:44 PM »
also how can anyone here deny the benefit of some sort of rapid release bcaa in post work out scenario??

sure its not a whole protein, but if your following protocol and having whole protein source in a sane time frame after workout, how can a bcaa NOT be beneficial from a biochemical/recovery standpoint?

If you eat lots of protein, you'll have plenty of BCAA's floating around your system.  You eat protein, and your body digests it and breaks it down into the amino acids that make it up, including leucine, isoleucine and valine (the branch-chain amino acids).

Bast175

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 10:38:25 PM »

With the extremely high amount of protein we bodybuilders eat, I seriously doubt any of us are deficient in BCAA's.

With regard to GABA, I wasn't familiar, so I read up on it:

So you are correct, we don't get it directly from the protein we injest.  But...

So it seems to me that as long as your intake of glutamate (from protein) and Vitamin B6 is sufficient, you should be good to go and have no need to supplement.

I have had people tell me they tried GABA and they felt immediate effects from it.   So if that helps me get to sleep quicker when my mind is racing on certain nights then it will be well worth trying.  I figured I would try other amino acids in the process.  

Also, personally I get moderate amounts of protein.  I eat low calorie.  

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 10:39:21 PM »
GABA supposedly has an immediate calming effect when supplemented.

So does Xanax, and at least with that it's cheap and I know it works.

Bast175

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 10:40:29 PM »

So does Xanax, and at least with that it's cheap and I know it works.

haha, I have it actually.   They say it's addictive so I don't take it often.

GABA is cheap as well.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 10:43:25 PM »
haha, I have it actually.   They say it's addictive so I don't take it often.

On average I might take one pill 3 or 4 days out of a week, depending on how much stress I'm under on any given day.  As long as you're not taking it every day or more than once a day, addiction usually isn't a problem.

Bast175

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 10:48:03 PM »

On average I might take one pill 3 or 4 days out of a week, depending on how much stress I'm under on any given day.  As long as you're not taking it every day or more than once a day, addiction usually isn't a problem.

Yea, and I've never had addiction issues with anything.   I just don't want to rely on something that I need to get permission to refill each month.   Bullshit drug laws

liltacobell

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 10:55:23 PM »

If you eat lots of protein, you'll have plenty of BCAA's floating around your system.  You eat protein, and your body digests it and breaks it down into the amino acids that make it up, including leucine, isoleucine and valine (the branch-chain amino acids).

uhh...ok..we all know aminos are broken into their constituent elements...some not specifically BRANCH chain, but i digress...

my arguement was based on the benefit of bcaa supplementation SPECIFICALLY in a post workout enviroment....and the differences in muscle uptake and retention thereof...

test is made up of cholesterol, but its a hell a lot more efficient and biochemically prudent to SHOOT the shit if we wanna really get a benefit......follow me??....im getting at direct influx at the biological apex of necessity of certain aminos to kick start the recovery process...we still gonna need the constant influx of protein regadless.....

once again, will it make a HUGE difference...maybe not.....but that was not the point of the point...ya know.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 10:58:13 PM »
if they aren't found in natural foods, which the body have evolved to use for optimal health, chances are they're not needed, and/or are over hyped supplement junk.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 11:01:49 PM »

once again, will it make a HUGE difference...maybe not.....but that was not the point of the point...ya know.

With regard to supplements, I'm of the view that unless it's injectable and you need a prescription for it, it probably ain't gonna make much of a difference at all.

liltacobell

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 11:24:56 PM »

With regard to supplements, I'm of the view that unless it's injectable and you need a prescription for it, it probably ain't gonna make much of a difference at all.

well...those are the better ones!!...lol....

but the reality is that a supplement is just that.....a supplement.....designed to SUPPLEMENT the holes in your nutrition or your nutrition goals.....and for THAT SPECIFIC value they do fill a gap.....necessary.....no i guess not...unless you wanna try and eat 25g creatine or some shit in your plan if that is your plan....some values of consumption from whole foods are just not realistic unless you wanna sit at home and cook and eat all day....

but hey....i knew a guy who drank wesson oil for calories....and truth be told he was big and strong as fuck!! stupid....probably...... ..healthy....i can only imagine not.....

to each their own....

Bast175

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 11:27:15 PM »
well...those are the better ones!!...lol....

but the reality is that a supplement is just that.....a supplement.....designed to SUPPLEMENT the holes in your nutrition or your nutrition goals.....and for THAT SPECIFIC value they do fill a gap.....necessary.....no i guess not...unless you wanna try and eat 25g creatine or some shit in your plan if that is your plan....some values of consumption from whole foods are just not realistic unless you wanna sit at home and cook and eat all day....

but hey....i knew a guy who drank wesson oil for calories....and truth be told he was big and strong as fuck!! stupid....probably...... ..healthy....i can only imagine not.....

to each their own....

Yes but we want to avoid supplements that don't give us noticeable results.  That's what he is saying.

liltacobell

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 11:32:27 PM »
well...then dont buy pretty much anything they advertize....LOL...(and i sell this shit for a living mind you)...

i never seen a supp give noticable results over a decent diet.....save for prosteroids and the like which are just pretty much otc dianabol...hehe..

BUT if you can use a supp to fix a HOLE in your diet, or nutrition, or whatever, then it becomes a noticable adjunct to that individual.....not so much because of the super mega secret formula, but just cuz you plugged the hole that was leaking your results.....

Alex23

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 11:34:19 PM »

Great post bast and owning goatshit to no end.

GABA is great so is Tryptophan.

Tyrosine improves mental performance and also use DMAE and Vinpocetine. Make a big difference IMO.

Also fish greatly improve your positiveness.  

Bast175

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 11:38:14 PM »

GABA is great so is Tryptophan.

Tyrosine improves mental performance and also use DMAE and Vinpocetine. Make a big difference IMO.

Good info. 

Here's what I ordered yesterday:

1  [Orange] Source Naturals GABA Calm Subli    $4.95   
   1  Source Naturals GABA 750mg 45 tablet        $5.95   
   1  Source Naturals 5-HTP 50mg 30 capsule       $4.95   
   1  Source Naturals DMAE 351mg 50 capsule       $4.95 
   1  Source Naturals DLPA 375mg 60 tablet        $5.95   
   1  Source Naturals N-Acetyl Cysteine 600mg     $4.95   
   1  NOW Foods DOPA Mucuna 400mg 90 capsule      $9.95   
   1  NOW Foods L-Methionine 500mg + B6 100 ca    $6.95   
   1  Source Naturals L-Tyrosine 500mg 50 tabl    $3.95   

Alex23

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
Good info. 

1  Source Naturals 5-HTP 50mg 30 capsule       $4.95  
   1  Source Naturals DMAE 351mg 50 capsule       $4.95 
   1  Source Naturals N-Acetyl Cysteine 600mg     $4.95  

This is quite a brainy stack right there.

Your grey matter will love it.

Just be careful with your caffein intake if you got > 500mg on tyrosine; it can make you agitated / anxious.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 11:45:25 PM »

He wasn't "owning" me, we were having a discussion, not a debate. 

Then maybe you should eat more fish, fat french fag.  ::)

Alex23

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 11:46:30 PM »
Then maybe you should eat more fish, fat french fag.  ::)

I'm as french as you are britsh you dipshit.

and "breaking" protein don't produce every FFAA.. ::)

Get an education.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 11:53:21 PM »
Good info. 

1  Source Naturals 5-HTP 50mg 30 capsule       $4.95   
   1  Source Naturals DMAE 351mg 50 capsule       $4.95 
   1  Source Naturals N-Acetyl Cysteine 600mg     $4.95   

What site did you order this from? Nice prices.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 11:54:22 PM »
I'm as french as you are britsh you dipshit.

Then why the accent?  Last I checked, I wasn't speaking like a brit (my ancestry isn't british anyway, you moron, it's german)

and "breaking" protein don't produce every FFAA.. ::)

Really?  Then why do people who eat sufficient quantities of complete protein not end up with amino acid deficiencies?  ::)

Get an education.

Mine's probably better than yours, fatfrenchfag

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
I SUPPLEMENTED WITH SOME PSYLOCIBIN AND CANNABIS NEURO NUTRIENTS LAST NIGHT