Author Topic: preventing bicep tear  (Read 2065 times)

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
preventing bicep tear
« on: July 07, 2009, 06:01:26 PM »
during deadlift.

im hearing alot of talk about people tearing biceps on the DL. Im of the impression that its alot of blow hards who use it as an excuse not to lift heavy.

however, what are some good / bad technique to emply to avoid this?

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
Re: preventing bicep tear
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 06:54:21 PM »
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/6528

kinda answered my own question i think. good info here.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 07:27:23 PM »
That is good info. Just need to try to include the biceps as little as possible and keep them strong/flexible. If you are tearing a bicep on the DL then you are pulling incorrectly, plain and simple.

splinterhands

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 01:31:48 AM »
I can't get the link to work. 

I had a little "twinge" in my left bicep my last deadlift workout. :(  It scared the hell out of me but apparently nothing was damaged.

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 10:34:30 AM »
That is good info. Just need to try to include the biceps as little as possible and keep them strong/flexible. If you are tearing a bicep on the DL then you are pulling incorrectly, plain and simple.
not necessarily, with the over /under grip the under hand and the bicep are under tremendous strain which can cause it to rupture.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 02:01:11 PM »
not necessarily, with the over /under grip the under hand and the bicep are under tremendous strain which can cause it to rupture.

Though the fact that its happening only at higher weights means that you are using the bicep to pull for some reason. The bicep should have no involvement in a DL. Stability at most. It does not assist the grip. People try to keep their back and traps fully flexed (a good thing) but when they feel their form start to go they attempt to readjust their form mid-lift. That will certainly put a strain on the biceps. This is the reason it is always the "under" hand. There would be almost no chance of ripping the bicep if someone were to use straps (overhand). I suggest people use straps at max if they have had a problem with the biceps while DLing. Also work on static grip (holds).