Author Topic: I cannot get past a 225 bench press. Help!  (Read 6873 times)

nodeal

• Getbig III
I cannot get past a 225 bench press. Help!
« on: July 08, 2009, 11:43:57 PM »
I cannot get past a 225 bench press. I will get stronger at every other exercise (including dumbbell presses!) but my barbell bench will remain at 225 for 4 or 5 reps.

I will achieve impressive lifts (deadlift 405 for a few reps, squat 365 for moderate, shoulder press 80 pound dumbbells for 5 or 6 reps, barbell row 245 for 12-15 reps, dumbbell row the 125 for 14 reps), but my barbell bench will not BUDGE!

I know benching isn't everything but god damn it the first question I'm always asked.."How much do you bench, bro?" and then I say 225 and I get "Oh really? That's it?"

I've asked questions about benching here before and implicated the advice I got into my workouts but, fuck, NOTHING WORKS!.

Shit.

Is it genetic? Was I made in such a way that I will never dominate 225 pounds on the barbell bench press ever? Am I doomed to be forever embarrassed under the poundage of 225?

Perhaps I will look for the answer elsewhere...a place that exceeds the knowledge I can obtain from getbig. This place I call my DREAM JOURNAL. I will jot down several more entries the next few nights and try to connect the dots. I will see where my dreams take me and what information they provide. Maybe they will reveal the secret to dominating the bench press!

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
Re: Am I doomed to be a tiny tit for the rest of my life?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:50:56 PM »
I cannot get past a 225 bench press. I will get stronger at every other exercise (including dumbbell presses!) but my barbell bench will remain at 225 for 4 or 5 reps.

I will achieve impressive lifts (deadlift 405 for a few reps, squat 365 for moderate, shoulder press 80 pound dumbbells for 5 or 6 reps, barbell row 245 for 12-15 reps, dumbbell row the 125 for 14 reps), but my barbell bench will not BUDGE!

I know benching isn't everything but god damn it the first question I'm always asked.."How much do you bench, bro?" and then I say 225 and I get "Oh really? That's it?"

I've asked questions about benching here before and implicated the advice I got into my workouts but, fuck, NOTHING WORKS!.

Shit.

Is it genetic? Was I made in such a way that I will never dominate 225 pounds on the barbell bench press ever? Am I doomed to be forever embarrassed under the poundage of 225?

Perhaps I will look for the answer elsewhere...a place that exceeds the knowledge I can obtain from getbig. This place I call my DREAM JOURNAL. I will jot down several more entries the next few nights and try to connect the dots. I will see where my dreams take me and what information they provide. Maybe they will reveal the secret to dominating the bench press!

Do nothing but close grip decline and wide grip incline for a month and then go back to it. you will be surprised

But to answer your title question......yes, you are doomed to be a tiny tit the rest of your life

Alex23

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:53:18 PM »
Do nothing but close grip decline and wide grip incline for a month and then go back to it. you will be surprised

Shit you beat me to it.... ;D

Most people think "I can't bench so must've weak pecs". Au contraire; most of the time the triceps isn't there nor is the front delt to support the movement.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 12:01:23 AM »

Most people think "I can't bench so must've weak pecs". Au contraire; most of the time the triceps isn't there nor is the front delt to support to movement.

Another gem......
HAHA, RON.....

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 12:06:41 AM »

Most people think "I can't bench so must've weak pecs". Au contraire; most of the time the triceps isn't there nor is the front delt to support to movement.

Funny you say this I was just saying how I'm going to focus on triceps to help my bench.

But to answer your title question......yes, you are doomed to be a tiny tit the rest of your life

Alright I will do close grip decline...never tried them before.

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 12:13:52 AM »
where do you place your grip?

my pinky finger is 2 inches IN from the rings, i use closer grip like levrone even for regular bench pressing, less chance to tear pec.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 12:25:08 AM »

my pinky finger is 2 inches IN from the rings, i use closer grip like levrone even for regular bench pressing, less chance to tear pec.

when I do close grips I touch my thumbs in the center of the bar, then move my hands out till there's about three inches between the thumbs.

I used to be "hardcore" and do them thumbs touching, but all that did was hurt my wrists

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 01:10:06 AM »

I put my index fingers on the rings. I have long arms.

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 01:13:32 AM »
There is no way that you can do barbell rows with 245 for 12 to 14 reps and not be able to bench 225 for 1.  Totally impossible, unless your barbell row form is totally fucked (which it probably is.)

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 01:16:12 AM »
Increasing my standing military press was the key to increasing my bench.
P

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 01:17:39 AM »

Shit.

I was the same until I tried a couple of HST cycles which got my bench up to 264 in a short period of time.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 01:18:57 AM »
Increasing my standing military press was the key to increasing my bench.

Yep  because you strengthened your front delts ( and tris to a degree) from the militaries. I haven't done standing in forever, think i'll give them a whirl next time

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 01:23:33 AM »
so do i, im 6ft.2

your grip is too wide.

Pecs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 01:27:54 AM »

Shit.

you deadlift 405 for reps, but 225 troubles you in bench?? It might be genetic but strengthen your front delts and tris should do the trick

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 01:30:41 AM »
i have long arms as well, have a hard time making them massive.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 01:32:05 AM »
i have long arms as well, have a hard time making them massive.

I have secret exercises for that, I will share them with The Great Mars

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 01:33:35 AM »
dont worry about it. some people dont have the physical mechanics to be able to lift big bench.

just keep on at it bro.

are you putting on mass?

if not, try a different rep range. my FBP was always crap compared to my other lifts..i could incline more than i did flat, and i could almost tricep french press what i benched...

still, flat flyes were pretty good, curls, leg press etc..all solid.

FBP is not the measure of strength or size. another way to look at it is to total about a dozen exercises and work on increasing that total.

theres loads of ways to measure improvement. getting caught up in the BP lift is negative and counter productive and will result in lower esteem, which will make it harder to progress.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 01:35:26 AM »

Whats your stats. Height, weight etc.
P

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 01:41:11 AM »

Shit.

i had a friend who was just like you.. he was strong in everything but his bench press!!.. he had a bigger gyno than fat alex too!..

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 01:53:22 AM »
i had a friend who was just like you.. he was strong in everything but his bench press!!.. he had a bigger gyno than fat alex too!..

NEVER insult the KING!!!!!!!

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 01:57:02 AM »
NEVER insult the KING!!!!!!!

i didnt insult his majesty, i was just mentioning him as a famous example of gyno!!.. and when i said "fat" i didnt mean to insult him,.. it was just a description..

dont worry slave boy, i respect your fat king..

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 02:00:55 AM »
i didnt insult his majesty, i was just mentioning him as a famous example of gyno!!.. and when i said "fat" i didnt mean to insult him,.. it was just a description..

dont worry slave boy, i respect your fat king..

You have been marked by the DELT DONS

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 02:03:48 AM »
You have been marked by the DELT DONS

again you didnt like your face in the pic. :-\ you have to practice how to pose without having your face look like shit ;D

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 02:07:33 AM »
Drop it all togeather , you are proberly overtrained on the movement..
Focus on upper pec work and use DBs for flat bench work.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 02:11:46 AM »

Shit.

Might help if you spend time learning proper powerlifting technique. Getting evaluated at the local powerlifting club might be a good idea. They can probably see your strenghts and weaknesses and teach you proper set-up on the bench and how to perform the exercise in the different stages. Proper technique can help you get the best out of the strenght you've got.

And make sure to let the powerlifters evaluate your training and progress.