Author Topic: Do Atheists Proselytize?  (Read 26812 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Do Atheists Proselytize?
« on: July 10, 2009, 11:20:33 AM »
Sure seems like it.  Why do they try and convince people there is no God? 

Maybe I should have posted these questions in the "Is Atheism a Mental Disorder" thread?   :D

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: Do Atheists Proselytze?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 11:26:44 AM »

Maybe I should have posted these questions in the "Is Atheism a Mental Disorder" thread?   :D

No. It is merely a reaction against the religious fundamentalism that exists in the USA. You find no such phenomenon in places like Denmark or Sweden. What you see is merely the complement to what you yourself believe. Where there is a lack, you will find its lacking counterpart.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 01:15:36 PM »
No. It is merely a reaction against the religious fundamentalism that exists in the USA. You find no such phenomenon in places like Denmark or Sweden. What you see is merely the complement to what you yourself believe. Where there is a lack, you will find its lacking counterpart.

I could have sworn I read comments by you explaining why you post on the religion board, when you hate religion.  Didn't you say something to the effect of you wanted to influence people's opinions? 

And just we're clear, I wasn't directing this thread to any particular person. 

Sir Humphrey

• Getbig IV
  • It's only gay if you want it to be.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 01:25:44 PM »
Only as much as a-fairyists, a-leprechaunists, a-ghostists, and a-unicornists proselytize.

Imagine living among millions of morons who believe that an invisible sky fairy knocked up some woman who then gave birth to him (i.e. he is his own father), he died and came back to life and now he is a cosmic zombie. They believe they can talk to him, and what's worse, he talks back to them. They have conversations with him in their heads and then want to dictate to the rest of us how our morality should be, and want to turn their views into our laws. One such moron even believed the sky fairy told him to invade a large Middle-eastern country!

It's like living among among morons who believe in ghosts, and believe they are talking to distant ancestors and getting advice from them, and then wanting to dictate that advice as mandatory rules for the rest of us.

Or like living among morons who believe in astrology and want their moronic ideas taught as an alternative to astronomy in schools.

Or like living among morons who believe creationism and want their moronic fairy tale taught as an alternative to astronomy, geology, and biology in schools.

Hope this helps.  :P

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 01:27:43 PM »
I could have sworn I read comments by you explaining why you post on the religion board, when you hate religion.  Didn't you say something to the effect of you wanted to influence people's opinions? 

And just we're clear, I wasn't directing this thread to any particular person. 

I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 01:36:04 PM »
Only as much as a-fairyists, a-leprechaunists, a-ghostists, and a-unicornists proselytize.

Imagine living among millions of morons who believe that an invisible sky fairy knocked up some woman who then gave birth to him (i.e. he is his own father), he died and came back to life and now he is a cosmic zombie. They believe they can talk to him, and what's worse, he talks back to them. They have conversations with him in their heads and then want to dictate to the rest of us how our morality should be, and want to turn their views into our laws. One such moron even believed the sky fairy told him to invade a large Middle-eastern country!

It's like living among among morons who believe in ghosts, and believe they are talking to distant ancestors and getting advice from them, and then wanting to dictate that advice as mandatory rules for the rest of us.

Or like living among morons who believe in astrology and want their moronic ideas taught as an alternative to astronomy in schools.

Or like living among morons who believe creationism and want their moronic fairy tale taught as an alternative to astronomy, geology, and biology in schools.

No.  But thank you for sharing.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 01:39:17 PM »

Oh no.  Not a ten minute clip. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 01:41:57 PM »
Oh no.  Not a ten minute clip. 

I gave two (possible) reasons why atheists organise themselves.
I hate the State.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 01:46:11 PM »

dont forget the are the absolute authorities on good or bad what is a sin and what will happen to you and all your loved ones if you dont believe what they say. They tell gays that are going to burn in hell, meanwhile animals exhibit gay behaviour ::)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 01:52:19 PM »
dont forget the are the absolute authorities on good or bad what is a sin and what will happen to you and all your loved ones if you dont believe what they say. They tell gays that are going to burn in hell, meanwhile animals exhibit gay behaviour ::)

You don't really have this problem in Novia Scotia though, do you?
I hate the State.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 02:01:09 PM »
I'd say in my experience, atheists do not proselytize. If and when they mention it, it is in context and simply as a matter of the subject coming up. I do know one particular guy who is what one could classify as a "proselytizing atheist". He's almost evangelical in his atheism... so much so that I've pretty much had to tell him he's just as bad if not worse than some of the evangelical types I've encountered. That he needed to keep his religion or his lack of religion to himself 'cause I didn't want to hear about it. I think he's an abnormality and quite different from most or the "typical atheist". I also think his evangelical nature is a knee-jerk survival method for him. He's almost like a drowning man. He lives in Salt Lake City surrounded by people who think & believe in different ways, ...and I think his desire to innapropriately bring up his atheism in every conversation ie: Q: Have you tried this particular flavour of ice cream? It's delicious. I just love a nice bowl of ice cream on a hot day don't you? A: No I haven't tried it. It's made by ABC company. Did you know XYZ company breadmaker founders are atheists? ...and the guy who delivers my newspaper is an atheist too." ...is like a drowning man gasping for air. Problem is... he's sucking all the oxygen out of the room.

btw Deicide, ...you really should train your voice. I could see you making money with it.
w

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 02:03:52 PM »
I'd say in my experience, atheists do not proselytize. If and when they mention it, it is in context and simply as a matter of the subject coming up. I do know one particular guy who is what one could classify as a "proselytizing atheist". He's almost evangelical in his atheism... so much so that I've pretty much had to tell him he's just as bad if not worse than some of the evangelical types I've encountered. That he needed to keep his religion or his lack of religion to himself 'cause I didn't want to hear about it. I think he's an abnormality and quite different from most or the "typical atheist". I also think his evangelical nature is a knee-jerk survival method for him. He's almost like a drowning man. He lives in Salt Lake City surrounded by people who think & believe in different ways, ...and I think his desire to innapropriately bring up his atheism in every conversation ie: Q: Have you tried this particular flavour of ice cream? It's delicious. I just love a nice bowl of ice cream on a hot day don't you? A: No I haven't tried it. It's made by ABC company. Did you know XYZ company breadmaker founders are atheists? ...and the guy who delivers my newspaper is an atheist too." ...is like a drowning man gasping for air. Problem is... he's sucking all the oxygen out of the room.

btw Deicide, ...you really should train your voice. I could see you making money with it.

I have never heard that in real life but since I started making youtubes a bunch of people have told me I should. Well, first do this damned thesis and then see.

I would have no idea how to begin something like that anyway... ???
I hate the State.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 02:19:18 PM »

I would say some atheists do.

Why do they try to convince people there is no god?  Much for the same reason you might try and convince people there is a god.  Its hard for some people to listen, witness, interact etc. with something that they believe isn't true without speaking up about it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 11:43:40 PM »
I gave two (possible) reasons why atheists organise themselves.

No thanks.  CliffsNotes. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 11:47:40 PM »

Why do they try to convince people there is no god?  Much for the same reason you might try and convince people there is a god.  Its hard for some people to listen, witness, interact etc. with something that they believe isn't true without speaking up about it.

Not me.  Aside from the banter on this board, I don't ever try and convince people that God exists. 

But I do find it inconsistent and curious that many atheists aren't simply content to believe in nothing.  They have the same desire as a lot of "religious" people to share their belief in nothing. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 12:14:03 AM »

Speaking up when something is spoken that contradicts your beliefs is one thing, and it's something that occurs within the context of regular conversation. Seeking people out to determine their beliefs, specifically targetting those who you suspect may NOT believe as you do, ...and then proceeding with unsolicited statements about your beliefs, ...then trying to convince them otherwise, or engage them in a conversation to which they want no part, is a completely different thing. I don't believe atheists do that as a general rule. The same cannot be said about others though. Infact, ...some groups make it a mandatory coming of age requiring you to do just that for a few years.

I think the difference is some radicals immerse themselves so fully in the culture of their belief that they don't understand what they're doing. And there are so many of them EVERYWHERE that people have come to accept their extremism as a normal part of life, ...but there is nothing normal about it.

Their choice of suppliers is often dictated by this. Little things like personal stationary, or sending birthday cards for instance. There are plenty of online greeting card companies, ...but some people immerse themselves so deeply that even their personal stationary or post-it notes have to include some verse to whatever personal religious belief they have. If you have to leave a note on the door for FedEx or UPS, ...is it necessary to including verses from your particular religion? If you want to wish someone a happy birthday, ...is it necessary to include a verse from your particular religion? When was the last time any of us got a greeting card from "an atheist Greeting card comany?" or bought a book on car maintenance because it came from a religious publishing company as opposed to a book on car maintenance published by someone else? It's as if they think because if has a particular religions stamp of approval on it, ...the instructions for doing oil changes will be more complete, more holy, and more sanctified by their god, ...or that their oil will stay purer longer. What do they think the other maintenance manual might include... illicit subliminal unholy messages? ...Or is that they're concerned that the manual does not instruct them to say a prayer for every ounce of oil they pour into the motor?  ::)

I sometimes wonder how some of these same people would respond if they were sent a greeting card with verses from the Quran... or with printed philosophy that came from a religion completely different from their own.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 12:19:33 AM »
Not me.  Aside from the banter on this board, I don't ever try and convince people that God exists. 

But I do find it inconsistent and curious that many atheists aren't simply content to believe in nothing.  They have the same desire as a lot of "religious" people to share their belief in nothing. 

Contributors on these boards excepted for obvious reasons, ...I've only found that in real life from one atheist,
...but I wish I had a nickle for each time I've encountered it in real life by evangelical theists.

My bank account would make Rockefeller look like a pauper.  ;D
w

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 07:44:14 AM »
or bought a book on car maintenance because it came from a religious publishing company as opposed to a book on car maintenance published by someone else? It's as if they think because if has a particular religions stamp of approval on it, ...the instructions for doing oil changes will be more complete, more holy, and more sanctified by their god, ...or that their oil will stay purer longer. What do they think the other maintenance manual might include... illicit subliminal unholy messages? ...Or is that they're concerned that the manual does not instruct them to say a prayer for every ounce of oil they pour into the motor?  ::)

I think believers want to think that other believers will treat them right and maybe want to help support their businesses...it's not that they think their oil would stay purer longer or pray for each ounce of oil  ;D

Of course people are fallible and some are outright scam artists....I called a pest control once for cicada killers and they had a "Jesus fish" on their ad in the phone book.  When the kid arrived he was afraid of the cicada killers and just really didn't know what he was doing.  Then he tried to charge me $300 bucks for a month or so guarantee when he hadn't even found all the holes.  I told him no way.  I will never call them again.

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 08:00:38 AM »

I would have no idea how to begin something like that anyway... ???

I have a relative (haven't talked to him in years though) that had a studio and people would come and do voice over stuff and they'd get paid a lot (from a 3rd company) for just reading stuff and having their voice recorded.  Not sure if it's still that lucrative but you could research it.  I was at their house once and some girl came over and did a "Press one for customer service....blah blah blah..."  Not sure how many sessions it covered but her check was for over $1000 for what seemed like minutes of "work."
R

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 08:38:40 AM »

I have never known an atheist in person who solicited their beliefs on anyone.  However, I have known far too many over zealous religious people soliciting their beliefs on anyone and everyone.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 08:41:19 AM »
Speaking up when something is spoken that contradicts your beliefs is one thing, and it's something that occurs within the context of regular conversation. Seeking people out to determine their beliefs, specifically targetting those who you suspect may NOT believe as you do, ...and then proceeding with unsolicited statements about your beliefs, ...then trying to convince them otherwise, or engage them in a conversation to which they want no part, is a completely different thing. I don't believe atheists do that as a general rule. The same cannot be said about others though. Infact, ...some groups make it a mandatory coming of age requiring you to do just that for a few years.

I think the difference is some radicals immerse themselves so fully in the culture of their belief that they don't understand what they're doing. And there are so many of them EVERYWHERE that people have come to accept their extremism as a normal part of life, ...but there is nothing normal about it.

Their choice of suppliers is often dictated by this. Little things like personal stationary, or sending birthday cards for instance. There are plenty of online greeting card companies, ...but some people immerse themselves so deeply that even their personal stationary or post-it notes have to include some verse to whatever personal religious belief they have. If you have to leave a note on the door for FedEx or UPS, ...is it necessary to including verses from your particular religion? If you want to wish someone a happy birthday, ...is it necessary to include a verse from your particular religion? When was the last time any of us got a greeting card from "an atheist Greeting card comany?" or bought a book on car maintenance because it came from a religious publishing company as opposed to a book on car maintenance published by someone else? It's as if they think because if has a particular religions stamp of approval on it, ...the instructions for doing oil changes will be more complete, more holy, and more sanctified by their god, ...or that their oil will stay purer longer. What do they think the other maintenance manual might include... illicit subliminal unholy messages? ...Or is that they're concerned that the manual does not instruct them to say a prayer for every ounce of oil they pour into the motor?  ::)

I sometimes wonder how some of these same people would respond if they were sent a greeting card with verses from the Quran... or with printed philosophy that came from a religion completely different from their own.

Yeah,  i got a religious chain text message the other day from a reformed, rehabilitated x-con person i know.   ::)

If religion keeps them out of prison then good.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 09:44:50 AM »
I have never known an atheist in person who solicited their beliefs on anyone.  However, I have known far too many over zealous religious people soliciting their beliefs on anyone and everyone.

I have read repeated attempts on this board designed to convince people that God doesn't exist.  I've spoken with some in real life who do the same. 

I'm not comparing atheists with religious people, because it's pretty clear religious folks do far more proselytizing, if for no other reason than there are so many religious people, and atheists makes up a tiny percentage of the population. 

I was focused more on the atheists who do proselytize and trying to understand why. 

Also, they are the only group I can think of that organize around a non-belief in something.  Very odd.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 09:55:24 AM »
I have read repeated attempts on this board designed to convince people that God doesn't exist.  I've spoken with some in real life who do the same. 

I'm not comparing atheists with religious people, because it's pretty clear religious folks do far more proselytizing, if for no other reason than there are so many religious people, and atheists makes up a tiny percentage of the population. 

I was focused more on the atheists who do proselytize and trying to understand why. 

Also, they are the only group I can think of that organize around a non-belief in something.  Very odd.

Yeah, but you can't count this board for anything because of what it is:  "Religious debate"

Interesting, I met a friend of my son's last week who is an atheist, she's 18, and her parents are pastors.

I would imagine an atheist sees someone who believes in God no different than and adult who believes in Santa Claus and center their life around them.  Because of that, it's hard for them not to say anything.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 10:22:31 AM »
Yeah, but you can't count this board for anything because of what it is:  "Religious debate"

Interesting, I met a friend of my son's last week who is an atheist, she's 18, and her parents are pastors.

I would imagine an atheist sees someone who believes in God no different than and adult who believes in Santa Claus and center their life around them.  Because of that, it's hard for them not to say anything.

Wow.   :o  The parents must be having a hard time with that one.  Did you talk to the her about why she became an atheist? 

There likely isn't a measurable number of adults who believe in Santa Claus.  There really isn't a good parallel IMO.  For example, I don't believe in Pele or any of the other Hawaiian gods, and I have no trouble not talking about Pele, criticizing her, forming anti-Pele groups, etc.   

I'm not sure what most atheists think, but the trends I see are anger, sarcasm, ridicule, etc.  I started thumbing through a book that's on my reading list about an atheist who became a Christian and it does have some insight on this.  I'll post some excerpts when I get around to reading the book. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Do Atheists Proselytize?
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 10:43:55 AM »
I've never had an atheist come to my door to proselytize?

I've never seen the 24/7 atheist channel on TV begging for donations so their leaders can live in mansion and fly around in private jets.

I've never seen an atheist meeting place on every other corner in ever town in America

I've never received letters and cards in the mail urging me to join an atheist group or send a donation

etc...