Author Topic: Do Atheists Proselytize?  (Read 26974 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Do Atheists Proselytize?
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2009, 04:38:22 PM »
Well you're getting closer.

Check out their calendar of events for this month - it's packed with proselytizing

http://www.atheists.org/calendar

the sole "event" this month is some guy going on a paranormal radio show.

lol.  Horrible spin. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2009, 04:41:11 PM »
lol.  Horrible spin. 

what "spin"?

I was expecting to see a calendar packed with proselytizing events.

Did you scroll though the rest of the year?

Check it out - maybe I missed something

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2009, 04:43:39 PM »
If you call that poster proselytizing then that's your perogative.

That poster wouldn't motivate anyone to do anything.

If they really want to motivate people they need to scare them and then offer them a solution to their new found fear.

That's how the christians do it.

That’s hardly the point. The poster and bus billboards were designed to “proselytize”. Effectiveness is another issue altogether. Bad proselytizing is proselytizing, nonetheless.

As for your blurb about "how the Christians do it", that's also categorically false. I've met plenty of people, who became Christians in their adult lives. Virtually NONE of them did so out of fear. They did so, after realizing that God loves them, as per THEIR OWN TESTIMONIES.

BTW - You never answered my question.

Don't you agree it's fucked up for Christians to send death threats to that guy from the Blasphemy challange?

Surely we can agree on that point

I didn’t answer your question, because you didn’t ask it (until now).

Christians shouldn't send death threats to the Blasphemy Challenge Guy. Just as an atheist mother shouldn't disown her son, referring to it as a "postnatal abortion", when he becomes a Christian.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2009, 04:47:19 PM »

I didn’t answer your question, because you didn’t ask it (until now).

Christians shouldn't send death threats to the Blasphemy Challenge Guy. Just as an atheist mother shouldn't disown her son, referring to it as a "postnatal abortion", when he becomes a Christian.

I did ask it on page 3 after I agreed with you that the atheist disowning her son was fucked up

Isn't it nice that we can occassionally agree on something?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2009, 05:08:56 PM »
Plus the following is clearly proselytizing:

* Fought fervently to defend the Separation of Religion from GovernmentAppeared in all formes of media to defend our positions and criticisms of religion and mythology
    * Held Atheist conventions and gatherings throughout the United States, including "Atheist Pride" Marches in state capitals.
    * Demonstrated and picketed throughout the country on behalf of Atheist rights and state church separation. The organization has marched to defend the rights of intellectuals such as writer Salman Rushdie, protested the use of government funds to support public religious displays, and conducted the first picket of a Roman Catholic pope in history.
    * Published over 120 books about Atheism, criticism of religion, and state/church separation.Published newsletters, magazines and member-alerts.
    * Built a broad outreach in cyberspace with mailing lists, an ftp and web site, FaxNet and other projects to keep members and the general public informed.
    * Fostered a growing network of Representatives throughout the nation who monitor important First Amendment issues, and work on behalf of the organization in their areas.
    * Grown a network of volunteers who perform a variety of important tasks in their community, from placing American Atheist books in libraries to writing letters and publicizing the Atheist perspective.
    * Preserved Atheist literature and history in the nation's largest archive of its kind. The library's holdings span over three hundred years of Atheist thought.Provided speakers for colleges, universities, clubs and the news media.
    * Granted college scholarships to young atheist activists

http://www.atheists.org/about

Still ridiculously dwarfed by organized religion to the point of no comparison.  Probably a ratio of a million to one.  Just because some books have been published and there's a web site doesn't mean much.

Atheists don't typically solicit.  I'm sure there are some that do.  However in some religions is the order of their God.

Saying Atheists proselytize is like saying christians steal.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2009, 05:21:16 PM »
Still ridiculously dwarfed by organized religion to the point of no comparison.  Probably a ratio of a million to one.  Just because some books have been published and there's a web site doesn't mean much.

Atheists don't typically solicit.  I'm sure there are some that do.  However in some religions is the order of their God.

Saying Atheists proselytize is like saying christians steal.

It doesn't matter if Christians proseltize more than atheists.  That wasn't my question.  Not the point at all.  Organized religion dwarfs atheism, so of course you'll find more religious folks who proseltize.  But again, so what. 

No, atheists proseltizing is nothing like Christians stealing.  Stealing is something Christians believe is wrong.  Proselytizing is not considered wrong and it's done by both Christians and atheists, including at "conventions and gatherings throughout the United States, including 'Atheist Pride' Marches in state capitals." (lol)  What do they talk about these conventions?  I'd really like see what a an Atheist Pride March looks like.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2009, 05:25:57 PM »
It doesn't matter if Christians proseltize more than atheists.  That wasn't my question.  Not the point at all.  Organized religion dwarfs atheism, so of course you'll find more religious folks who proseltize.  But again, so what. 

No, atheists proseltizing is nothing like Christians stealing.  Stealing is something Christians believe is wrong.  Proselytizing is not considered wrong and it's done by both Christians and atheists, including at "conventions and gatherings throughout the United States, including 'Atheist Pride' Marches in state capitals." (lol)  What do they talk about these conventions?  I'd really like see what a an Atheist Pride March looks like.   

I'm sure they'd welcome you to march with them  :D

It doesn't matter if christians believe stealing is wrong or right.  To say Atheists proselytize is as off base as  saying christians steal. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2009, 05:27:37 PM »

In other words, just because they suck at it (relatively speaking) doesn't mean they aren't doing it.  ;D

Can I get a "Praise Chuck (Darwin)!!"?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2009, 05:37:17 PM »
I'm sure they'd welcome you to march with them  :D

It doesn't matter if christians believe stealing is wrong or right.  To say Atheists proselytize is as off base as  saying christians steal. 

If you're trying to draw an analogy between Christians and stealing, then you'd have to compare atheism with conduct that they don't embrace.  Christians teach that people shouldn't steal.  Atheists don't teach that people shouldn't proselytize.  To the contrary, atheists "published over 120 books about Atheism, criticism of religion, and state/church separation. Published newsletters, magazines and member-alerts."  They "built a broad outreach in cyberspace with mailing lists, an ftp and web site, FaxNet and other projects to keep members and the general public informed."  Clearly, these folks are trying to get their message out and convince others to agree with their views.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2009, 05:38:05 PM »
In other words, just because they suck at it (relatively speaking) doesn't mean they aren't doing it.  ;D

Can I get a "Praise Chuck (Darwin)!!"?

Word.   :D

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »
If you're trying to draw an analogy between Christians and stealing, then you'd have to compare atheism with conduct that they don't embrace.  Christians teach that people shouldn't steal.  Atheists don't teach that people shouldn't proselytize.  To the contrary, atheists "published over 120 books about Atheism, criticism of religion, and state/church separation. Published newsletters, magazines and member-alerts."  They "built a broad outreach in cyberspace with mailing lists, an ftp and web site, FaxNet and other projects to keep members and the general public informed."  Clearly, these folks are trying to get their message out and convince others to agree with their views.   

Is that a whole 120 books?  "Clearly" there are some Atheists who have written books.  So what?  Is there atheist spam i should guard against?  I've never got any.  I suppose if I register on an atheist site I could opt to be on a mass e-mail list, but then, that would have been my choice.  It wouldn't have been them actively trying to convince me God does not exist through solicitation. 

I change the analogy because you seem to be having trouble grasping the principle.  Saying Atheists proselytize is like saying Christians read the bible 6 hours a day.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2009, 06:54:39 PM »
Is that a whole 120 books?  "Clearly" there are some Atheists who have written books.  So what?  Is there atheist spam i should guard against?  I've never got any.  I suppose if I register on an atheist site I could opt to be on a mass e-mail list, but then, that would have been my choice.  It wouldn't have been them actively trying to convince me God does not exist through solicitation. 

I change the analogy because you seem to be having trouble grasping the principle.  Saying Atheists proselytize is like saying Christians read the bible 6 hours a day.

I didn't have trouble grasping the principle.  Your analogy was poor.  This one is much better. 

Again, I'm not comparing the degree of proselytizing between atheists and Christians.  Not the point.  I'm focused on whether atheists proselytize and what their message is.  The website answers both questions, including indicating atheists
"fostered a growing network of Representatives throughout the nation who monitor important First Amendment issues, and work on behalf of the organization in their areas," and "grown a network of volunteers who perform a variety of important tasks in their community, from placing American Atheist books in libraries to writing letters and publicizing the Atheist perspective."

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2009, 09:04:46 PM »
I didn't have trouble grasping the principle.  Your analogy was poor.  This one is much better. 

Again, I'm not comparing the degree of proselytizing between atheists and Christians.  Not the point.  I'm focused on whether atheists proselytize and what their message is.  The website answers both questions, including indicating atheists
"fostered a growing network of Representatives throughout the nation who monitor important First Amendment issues, and work on behalf of the organization in their areas," and "grown a network of volunteers who perform a variety of important tasks in their community, from placing American Atheist books in libraries to writing letters and publicizing the Atheist perspective."

Yeah and the degree of atheist proselytizing is proportionally relevant to christians who read the bible 6 hours a day.  In others words, inconsequential and irrelevant. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2009, 09:24:39 PM »
Yeah and the degree of atheist proselytizing is proportionally relevant to christians who read the bible 6 hours a day.  In others words, inconsequential and irrelevant. 

And if I was talking about the degree of proselytizing, you might have a point. 

Then there is the "Atheist Viewpoint" tv show, which "airs around the country."  Along with "American Atheist magazine," which is "published monthly."  And "the NoGodBlog," which "allows YOU to comment on the issues of the day."

I am finding this to be reallllly humorous.   :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »
And if I was talking about the degree of proselytizing, you might have a point. 

Then there is the "Atheist Viewpoint" tv show, which "airs around the country."  Along with "American Atheist magazine," which is "published monthly."  And "the NoGodBlog," which "allows YOU to comment on the issues of the day."

I am finding this to be reallllly humorous.   :)

Wow, a magazine and a TV show.  Again, so what?  Saying Atheist proselytize is like say christians read the bible 6 hours a day.  No one typically sees christians as reading the bible 6 hours a day and no one typically sees atheists proselytizing. 

But yet, you want to make a case that says:  "Atheists proselytize"

You are right.  That is humorous. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Do Atheists Proselytze?
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2009, 10:24:19 PM »

I've never met anyone who centered their life around Santa Claus and probably never will.  That's not realistic.  

:o  You never met a 4 year old 3 weeks before Christmas?
For them, ...it's ALL about Santa Claus. ...'cause he knows if you've been naughty or nice.  :P
w

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2009, 10:36:26 PM »
Wow, a magazine and a TV show.  Again, so what?  Saying Atheist proselytize is like say christians read the bible 6 hours a day.  No one typically sees christians as reading the bible 6 hours a day and no one typically sees atheists proselytizing. 

But yet, you want to make a case that says:  "Atheists proselytize"

You are right.  That is humorous. 

I've known a few who do just that... no joke.  :-\
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Do Atheists Proselytze?
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2009, 11:04:16 AM »
:o  You never met a 4 year old 3 weeks before Christmas?
For them, ...it's ALL about Santa Claus. ...'cause he knows if you've been naughty or nice.  :P

We were talking about adults.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2009, 11:07:15 AM »
There is an atheist speaker's bureau.  These boys are serious. 

American Atheists Speakers' Bureau

Educating For Reason, State-Church Separation and Atheist Civil Rights...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The American Atheists Speaker’s Bureau provides outstanding lecturers on a range of topics of interest to nonbeliever groups and other organizations. Whether it is a debate or presentation format, our Speaker’s Bureau can help to make your organization’s next meeting an exciting and informative event!

FEES AND HONORARIUMS American Atheists will try to work with you in providing a speaker for a reasonable cost. This can factor in related expenses when appropriate, including travel and reasonable per diem, and other associated costs. A suitable honorarium is appreciated from institutions.

TOPICS OF INTEREST Whether it involves a philosophical subject, strategies for defending the First Amendment or political developments, The American Atheists Speaker’s Bureau will help to find and deliver the appropriate presentation for your organization.

http://www.atheists.org/about/speakers_bureau

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2009, 01:00:33 PM »
There is an atheist speaker's bureau.  These boys are serious. 

American Atheists Speakers' Bureau

Educating For Reason, State-Church Separation and Atheist Civil Rights...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The American Atheists Speaker’s Bureau provides outstanding lecturers on a range of topics of interest to nonbeliever groups and other organizations. Whether it is a debate or presentation format, our Speaker’s Bureau can help to make your organization’s next meeting an exciting and informative event!

FEES AND HONORARIUMS American Atheists will try to work with you in providing a speaker for a reasonable cost. This can factor in related expenses when appropriate, including travel and reasonable per diem, and other associated costs. A suitable honorarium is appreciated from institutions.

TOPICS OF INTEREST Whether it involves a philosophical subject, strategies for defending the First Amendment or political developments, The American Atheists Speaker’s Bureau will help to find and deliver the appropriate presentation for your organization.

http://www.atheists.org/about/speakers_bureau

"Educating for Reason, State-Church Separation and Atheist Civil Rights.."

Yet somebody here think that this is just about simply not believing in God. ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2011, 07:04:25 PM »
Bump.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2011, 07:16:53 PM »
Sure seems like it.  Why do they try and convince people there is no God? 

Maybe I should have posted these questions in the "Is Atheism a Mental Disorder" thread?   :D

Yes, 10X worse than Christians in my experience!

Reeves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2011, 07:51:22 PM »
Yes, some of us do.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2011, 11:30:52 PM »
I've never had an atheist come to my door to proselytize?

I've never seen the 24/7 atheist channel on TV begging for donations so their leaders can live in mansion and fly around in private jets.

I've never seen an atheist meeting place on every other corner in ever town in America

I've never received letters and cards in the mail urging me to join an atheist group or send a donation

etc...

The only thing I've seen are the billboards and signs saying "Relax, there is no god" or the like.  Although I haven't seen them around lately.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2011, 07:25:25 AM »
The only thing I've seen are the billboards and signs saying "Relax, there is no god" or the like.  Although I haven't seen them around lately.

I'm sure some do. But comparing Christians preaching their personal belief and Atheists preaching their lack of belief it would be similar to saying Tiger Woods and I play golf. I play about twice a year... we both play golf but it's not the same thing.