Author Topic: British Bulldogs Thread:  (Read 182473 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: British Bulldogs Thread:
« Reply #225 on: February 25, 2011, 05:10:49 AM »
I still have my black NWO teeshirt. I also have my Austin 3:16 teeshirt too as well as the one with the giant skull on the front. Austin from what I understood made his own teeshirt designs and they were all awesome!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2011, 05:16:41 AM »

Sell it as a "vintage" N.W.O. shirt to a dyslexic kid.

hahaha......reminds me of Dumb and Dumber and the bird being sold to the blind kid...... ;D

And Playboy, i believe you are correct that Austin did design all of his own stuff.  Pretty amazing since it is by far some of the best stuff the WWE ever had.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #227 on: February 25, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »
Some of the teeshirts that are out are amazing. But the only thing I hate is the huge crowd at the concession stands. Man oh man...at least half an hour before you get to buy. It is always rammed no matter how early you go during an event.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #228 on: February 25, 2011, 06:37:26 AM »
Some of the teeshirts that are out are amazing. But the only thing I hate is the huge crowd at the concession stands. Man oh man...at least half an hour before you get to buy. It is always rammed no matter how early you go during an event.

they are making a killing on that stuff......just unreal how much each shirt costs vs how much it was to produce it.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #229 on: February 25, 2011, 07:19:13 AM »
they are making a killing on that stuff......just unreal how much each shirt costs vs how much it was to produce it.
When I bought my Austin 3:16 teeshirt they wanted 40 bucks Canadian. The bigger stars merchandise is very expensive. I saw one kids father shell out 500 bucks...yes you read that correctly....for a WWE replica spinner belt. The World Title (as seen on Edge) was 400 bucks Canadian. What they make money wise on merchandise is unreal.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #230 on: February 25, 2011, 07:35:39 AM »
When I bought my Austin 3:16 teeshirt they wanted 40 bucks Canadian. The bigger stars merchandise is very expensive. I saw one kids father shell out 500 bucks...yes you read that correctly....for a WWE replica spinner belt. The World Title (as seen on Edge) was 400 bucks Canadian. What they make money wise on merchandise is unreal.

Wow..... a little different than when I would buy a 5x7 of Wahoo for $3 and then walk over to a table where he was sitting and he would chat with you and sign it..... and take a pic if you wanted to at no charge....  8)

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #231 on: February 25, 2011, 07:39:34 AM »
Wow..... a little different than when I would buy a 5x7 of Wahoo for $3 and then walk over to a table where he was sitting and he would chat with you and sign it..... and take a pic if you wanted to at no charge....  8)
I would take that anyday over standing like a herd of sheep at a concession stand with 100 other people for one lousy teeshirt.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #232 on: February 25, 2011, 03:11:01 PM »

I know for a while you could get decent deals on WWE merchandise through Earl & Dave Hebner.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #233 on: May 13, 2011, 06:02:31 PM »
Time for a bump...
Here are some misc. pics of Davey to add to the collection:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #234 on: May 13, 2011, 06:03:42 PM »

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: May 13, 2011, 06:04:32 PM »

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #236 on: May 13, 2011, 06:06:30 PM »

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #237 on: May 13, 2011, 06:09:11 PM »

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: May 13, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #239 on: May 13, 2011, 06:14:11 PM »
haha, almost forgot about the braids.....haha

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #240 on: May 13, 2011, 06:30:49 PM »
haha, almost forgot about the braids.....haha

Or, as Heenan said: "He gets Whoopi Goldberg to do his hair."
 :D

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #241 on: May 16, 2011, 05:46:09 AM »

Or, as Heenan said: "He gets Whoopi Goldberg to do his hair."
 :D
I noticed Davey being handcuffed by a cop an a pic above. What happened there?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #242 on: May 16, 2011, 07:03:06 AM »

Playboy

• Getbig V

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #244 on: May 16, 2011, 07:19:15 AM »
Wow.....

Later this week, I may arrange and post a chronological account of some local headlines/new pieces featuring Davey.
Some involve controversy, but quite a few show a good side to the British Bulldog.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: May 16, 2011, 07:45:55 AM »

Later this week, I may arrange and post a chronological account of some local headlines/new pieces featuring Davey.
Some involve controversy, but quite a few show a good side to the British Bulldog.

Let me know if you get anymore info in Dynamite Kid too.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #246 on: May 16, 2011, 10:33:26 AM »
The following articles are from the Slam Sports section of www.canoe.com:

Memories of a fateful night haunt Bulldog
July 6, 1997

By RICK BELL -- Calgary Sun 

The sun shines Saturday afternoon and the British Bulldog roars on his Harley to a Stampede barbecue at dad-in-law Stu Hart's place.
Family and friends gather just 24 hours before today's wrestling megashow In Your House, where Davey and the rest of the Hart Foundation grapple with the backstabbing likes of Stone Cold Steve Austin.

"It would be a great victory, right here in Calgary. It would be like the day I won in court," says Davey Boy.
That day is Feb. 7, 1996, and the British Bulldog walks out of the Calgary courtroom a free man, cleared of a charge of aggravated assault.

The threat of a long stretch behind bars and a career in ruins vanishes as a judge rules the wrestler acted in self-defence on the summer night in `93 when Davey Boy and his wife Diana went to the Back Alley.
"I'm not a thug. I'm not a big bully wrestler who goes around and beats up kids. I do my job in the ring and that's it. I don't go into nightclubs picking fights," the British Bulldog tells me.

"I'm an easygoing guy. If somebody asks me to do something for people like sick children. I never turn them down.
"This whole thing cost me a lot. Somebody saw an opportunity to challenge me and I wouldn't hit him. Six months later they say I assaulted him. But the truth came out. If anyone was assaulted it was me."

Yes, the court finds on that summer night Kody Light verbally harasses Diana and gives Davey Boy a test-of-strength handshake. The wrestler puts Light in a front face lock and takes him over to the bouncer.
When the bent-over Light stands up he falls, cracking his head on the cement floor.

The judge says Davey Boy didn't assault Light. It was Light who assaulted the British Bulldog.
The grappler's mind still holds memories of the call from Stu in Calgary months after the incident telling Davey Boy of the assault charges.

And how the cops surrounded his house in Tampa to pick him up while he was off in England.
And surrendering to police in Calgary.
And the sight of his name, The British Bulldog, dragged through the world's press.

"I'm past it now. I'm bitter in a sense because of the way the law works. Police telling me I'm going to prison before it went to court. You're convicted before you start."
But this day is a happy one. The working class kid from just outside Manchester has come a long way from the days of delivering fruit and vegetables on a bicycle.

"My parents didn't want me walking the streets, smashing windows and wrecking cars. They put me in wrestling school and it paid off."
It sure did. As we talk of today's hoped-for victory, young kids fool around Stu's outdoor wrestling ring, the burgers sizzle, the beer is cold and the sky is clear.

The British Bulldog is home.

source: http://www.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingArchive/jul6_bell.html

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: May 16, 2011, 12:35:27 PM »
pt.1

Fan Q & A with The British Bulldog
January 30, 1998

One on one with The Bulldog
It may have taken longer than expected, but SLAM! Wrestling's Greg Oliver finally interviewed The British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith over the phone from his Calgary home on January 30, 1998.
Most of the questions were submitted by SLAM! Wrestling readers. Unfortunately, some of the three-week old questions were a little out of date by the time the interview was conducted, as The Bulldog had returned to action on WCW Monday Nitro January 26, beating Steve Mongo McMichael.
Below is the transcript of the 45-minute interview. I've given credit to the readers who sent in questions. As always, we welcome your comments at goliver@canoemail.com.

Q: Did it feel good to get back in the ring Monday night?
A: It felt great. I wasn't really expecting to be in the ring so fast in WCW. But they wanted to put me out there. They wanted me to be out there in the last pay-per-view, the Starrcade one, because Diesel, what's his name, Kevin Nash was hurt. They wanted me to wrestle Scott Hall. But my knee wasn't fully recovered. But I got there on Monday and found out I was working with Steve McMichael. It was good to get back in the ring. But I was a little bit ring rusty. It's like riding a bike, you just never forget right. You just keep going.

Q: How is the knee? [Frank Livyns, Belgium]
A: It's really good, you know. I got four tears fixed in it, but my anterior cruciate ligament [ACL] is still torn in half. They said that if they fixed that, it would take five to six months to heal. I didn't want to take five to six months off. I'd already taken two and half, almost three months off. I'd rather just get back in the ring. It doesn't feel like it's torn but it is. My legs are so strong that it doesn't really bother me.

Q: Are you going to take any precautions, like wearing a knee brace?
A: Yeah, I've got the knee brace still. I'll take some precautions -- wrap my knees, and really warm up before I go into the ring. Stuff like that. Since he fixed the four tears in it, it's been really strong. It feels as strong as it ever felt.

Q: Got a question here wondering how long you're signed for, and whatever details of the contract you can give. [Mike LaValley]
A: I don't really want to disclose the money part of it. I got more money than the WWF and less days.

Q: So how many days of the year would you be working?
A: I would say 180. As opposed to the 280 or whatever it was in the WWF. They had me going every single night. Just mind-boggling how many nights I would wrestle. I would never get a day off.

Q: How long have you signed for?
A: I've signed for three years.

Q: Did you learn anything from having the longer contract before? Did you purposely sign for less?
A: No, the WCW contracts are basically three-year contracts where Vince's [McMahon] were five-year contracts. It's the same old situation where you sign a WWF contract and everything's for them, and nothing's for you. You're locked in, you can't get out. It's always stipulations. Everything's for them, and nothing's for you. You have all these masterminds in the WWF running it, running a sinking ship I should say. That's what I told Vince on the phone. They're wannabes. They thrive on bad taste, shock value, fancy angles, things like that. Vince told me in December before I had the knee surgery that he wanted to go a different route. He wanted to get away from the wrestling and more to entertainment. I don't want to be involved in this sexual stuff and racism. All I've done is be a wrestler. I'm not turning obscene gestures towards the camera, talking about sending your wife over to my house and I'll show her a good hard time. It got to a point where I can't even let my kids watch the show. I told Vince that. I can't let my kids watch the show. Vince came out on TV and said we've going a different route, it's going to go be an adult show. If you don't want your kids watching, then don't let them watch TV. He said that himself right on TV. Shawn [Michaels] comes out on TV and says Davey's hurt his knee or something. He went on TV and forfeited the belt. Supposedly a knee injury that was career ending. They did an MRI on his knee and couldn't find anything wrong with it. They did an MRI on mine and said your knee's shot. I've actually had surgery. I told Vince I didn't appreciate Shawn saying that Davey had supposed knee injury. We all know about supposed knee injuries, because that's what he did when he forfeited the belt. He forfeited the Intercontinental belt too. I've always been business with Vince. In my match in England, they screwed me. The same referee that did my match did Bret's match. [The referee was Earl Hebner.] He rang the bell and gave Shawn the European belt. I don't mind putting someone over. It's just not the way to lose a belt.

Q: Back to the reader questions. What are some of your best gym lifts? [JEFF]
A: On a good day, I can squat five-six hundred pounds. I don't do too much deadlifting because of my back. It's not as strong as it used to be. My whole back. I've got to watch my discs, and that. I've been known to bench-press 525 pounds. 550.

Q: How many hours a day would you work out?
A: I work out two hours a day. Every day.

Q: That's just with weights?
A: Yeah.

Q: What would you do cardio-wise?
A: I do half-an-hour on the stairmaster. I just finished completing my workout video. I've got my own workout video coming out on the market sometime next month.

Q: Well you should tell your company to get in touch with us when it's all prepared and get in touch with us.
A: It's actually prepared now. We're just waiting for them to bring it to my door. I okayed the video. It's called The British Bulldog's Basic Bodybuilding Workout. It's open-close on the Bulldog. It's my private life. It shows my holiday, return, my cars, my house. And Diana's in the video with me too. So it appeals to young kids and women who want to get in shape.

Q: Where's this going to be available?
A: It's going to be available in Canada. We're going to try to get it into Europe. I'm going to try to get it everywhere I can. The women who does the movie show, Kirstie Day, and her husband does the news, Larry Day, they want to enter it in the Houston Film Festival. She thinks it's going to be a really hot seller. I think its one of the first times a wrestler has ever done a workout video. I don't know anyone else who's ever done a workout video.

Q: I've got a question here. How did you meet your wife Diana? [Kes107]
A: I met her when I first came to Calgary in 1981. She saw my picture in the Stampede Wrestling Magazine and she asked who I was. I'd met Bruce [Hart] in 1977 in England when I was training to be a wrestler. Bruce said [to Diana] that I was Dynamite's cousin and was coming over to wrestle for Stampede wrestling. She took my picture out of the magazine and put it in her high school binder. I came over and I met her. She came over the Bret's house and was looking for someone to go to a movie with her and a friend. She was trying to call Owen, and I said I'll go with you. I don't mind. We went to the movie together, and we've been together even since.

Q: How many children do you have?
A: I've got two children. Harry and Georgia.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #248 on: May 16, 2011, 12:36:34 PM »
pt. 2

Q: What do you think about the state of British wrestling, and what do you think could be done to improve it? [gary@infernal.demon.co.uk]
A: It's gone downhill. I was back there in 1993 and I was doing my own little thing with the old promoter I used to wrestle for in '78 to 1980. We ran all over the U.K. We did really well. But it was taken off TV, so people lost interest in it. All tuned in to WWF and WCW. So it's just gone downhill. I'd love to see it come back up. I can see with myself back in WCW, and Bret, all we're missing is Owen, really, to put wrestling back on the map in the United Kingdom. It's a weird place to be and to wrestle. And people are just dying for it. When I wrestled Shawn Michaels in Birmingham, it was sold out in two hours. You just can't give people enough. And England's so big, there's so many places you can run. Right now there's, well I shouldn't say there's no talent there -- there is talent there. It's just not shown on TV, on British TV. For the independent circuit, the British wrestlers, it's a shame because there's some potential there.

Q: What do you miss the most about England? [Inderdeep]
A: I miss my family and all my friends. The fans are really good to me. Especially being born and raised in the United Kingdom, I just missed England period. There's rumors I might buy a house there. Could be a possibility to move my family there.

Q: Is that just a rumor, or are you just trying to float that?
A: No, I'm thinking of it. I just got off the phone with my Mom. She told me there was a house that I really liked for sale. I'm supposed to go and check it out. I might just check it out. My wife and kids, they love England. They'd move there in a heartbeat.

Q: What's your favorite British football team? [Inderdeep]
A: I used to follow Manchester United.

Q: Back to the video a little bit. Following Bret's footsteps, are you considering getting into acting? [Inderdeep]
A: I'd like to. I'm kind of like Bret. You've just got to know the right people and be in the right place at the right time. I'd like to do things. It's not like I'd need a stunt man to take my bumps. I can do it. If someone wants to go through a window, I can go through a window. As long as there's something to land on.

Q: What are some of your favorite pastimes? What do you like to do in your spare time? [Inderdeep]
A: I play video games with my kids. When it's not cold out, I like to ride my Harley. I play around a lot on the computer. I like to play the Flight Simulator games. I've got a real neat computer. I like to learn how to fly planes and helicopters and things like that. Play solitaire.

Q: Do you do much on the Internet?
A: A little bit. Not too familiar with the keyboard. I'm like, aw geez, where's the next letter. But when it comes to video games, that's my favorite.

Q: That completes our more personal section. We're getting into the most wrestling-related questions now. The next bunch are about the end of your WWF run. The next question comes from Charlottetown, PEI. Would you call your break-up with the WWF a clean one? [Mike Gallant, PEI]
A: It was pretty clean. The only thing that left a sour taste in my mouth was that I was straight lied to. Vince looked me straight in the face and just lied to me. He said what's going to happen in Bret and Shawn's match [Survivor Series 1997]. I was going to run down there when Shawn gave the superkick to Bret and I was supposed to pull the referee's leg, and he was supposed to DQ Bret for outside interfere. I was actually waiting in the gorilla position -- what we call the production position -- to run to the ring. All of a sudden I hear Shawn's music, and I wonder what's going on. And Bruce Pritchard [a WWF honcho, formerly Brother Love] took his headset off and threw it down. I thought, something's wrong here. They didn't show it on TV, but I walked down to ring and I talked to Bret and asked what was going on, that wasn't the finish I was given. And Bret said 'They screwed me.' I said, 'Did they really screw you? Don't play mind games with me. This is serious. They're playing with someone's life, career here.' He said, 'No, they screwed me.' I just couldn't believe it. So he'd been screwed and I'd been lied to. And Owen. We were both standing behind the curtain ready to run down.

Q: What will you miss the most about the WWF and who were some of your friends there? [Topper Lee]
A: They were all basically my friends, all the wrestlers. I don't think that I'll really miss that much. It was good to be, but it's not good to be lied to. If they're going to do that to Bret, then what are they going to do to me? They had already done it to me in England, which I accepted. But when they did that to Bret, I said this is going way too far. There's no telling what they're going to do the next night on RAW. That's when I went back to the dressing room to talk to Bret. When I got to the dressing room, I saw Vince coming. I said 'Bret, Vince is coming.' He said to tell him not to come in. So I told Vince not to go in there. 'He doesn't want to talk to you, to see you right now.' He said that he wanted to address the matter. Bret was taking a shower. He came out of the shower. Bret said 'If you're still here when I put my clothes on, I'm going to punch you out.' He called Vince a bunch of names, and some of the office guys told us to leave, everyone else to leave. I got up to leave, and Owen got up to leave. And I said to Owen, 'don't leave Bret here by himself. He doesn't know what's going to happen.' So we sat back down. Bret finished getting dressed, and then went over and just punched Vince. Knocked him out with one punch. Then Shane [McMahon, Vince's son] jumped on Bret's back and I pulled him off. And then after Bret a few more times, Vince grabbed him around the waist and I pulled Bret off. I kind of twisted my knee. I said 'enough's enough.' I didn't want Bret to do any serious -- I shouldn't say serious damage, it was kind of too late for that. He was already knocked out. I thought enough was enough.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #249 on: May 16, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »
pt. 3

Q: How do you feel about Owen staying there? [Jaime Cole, Barbara]
A: Vince is just keeping him there in spite of Bret. When I talked to Vince in November-December before my surgery I told him that I didn't want to be a part of these obscene gestures and stuff like that. He said that he's going a totally different way, and I said that I didn't like the way he was going. He said, 'You sound like you're bitter.' And I said that I am. He said, 'well maybe you should find yourself a new job.' And I couldn't believe that he'd say that to me. And I said, 'Really?' And he said 'Yep'. So then I called my lawyer, and he called WCW. Within 20 minutes I was hired. My lawyer called up Vince. Jim Ross and Vince's attorney told him that Davey's got a full release. And the next day, they denied saying it. They said 'we never said that. If he wants out of his contract, he'll have to pay a fine of $150,000.' I said to my lawyer, 'I can't believe that. I'm the one that saved Vince. I pulled Bret off Vince. And I'm getting fined?' How the hell can you fine me $150,000? For what? What have I done wrong? Vince said, 'that's the way it's going to be, pal.' I said, 'that's a rotten way to treat me after all the service I've given you.'

Q: What was your take on the USA Vs Canada feud you were involved with in the Hart Foundation? [Brian Gilbert]
A: "I didn't really mind the feud. That was allright. I didn't really like going out there and putting the USA fans down. They paid their money to see us wrestle. You can't really get on the microphone and insult the fans of the United States of America. That's what kind of put a bad taste in my mouth, too. I felt very uncomfortable saying some of the things that I was told to say, doing some of the things I was told to do. Like planting someone in the audience with an American flag, and having to pull the American flag out of the guy's hand and break it in half. I didn't really want to do that. The feud itself -- there was a lot of money-making involved in it for Vince. I think that Bret, myself, the whole Hart Foundation was so strong that when we went to the States we were just selling out no matter what. When we came to Canada, the fans would just cheer the hell out of us. Some the wrestlers from the States, they didn't like that, but that's just the way things go. The fans would cheer me or Owen and boo other wrestlers. They couldn't handle it. We'd say, well this is what we have to go through in the States. It's a turnabout.

Q: That leads to a logical question that everyone wants to know. Will the Hart Foundation be re-united in WCW? [Johnny G., Queen's, NY]
A: One of my stipulations in my contract was that we couldn't use the name. The only way that I could get my release and sign an agreement was that we couldn't use the name Hart Foundation. Or any similarities at all to the Hart Foundation. I told my lawyers, 'I'm not the Hart Foundation. I'm the British Bulldog. What's that got to do with anything?' That was just a matter of Vince holding on to me. Him thinking 'what else can I do to hold him back from appearing in the WCW ring? Let me think of something. Well, he can't be a part of the Hart Foundation. You can't wear the jackets. You can't tag up with Bret.' It's like, fuck off. Gimme a break here. We're the ones who came up with the whole Foundation. We're all together. We're all brothers or brothers-in-law. It's like breaking up a family. You just can't do that.

Q: We've got a question that leads from that. Do you think that any member of the Hart Foundation will ever go into the WWF Hall of Fame? [anita]
A: I don't think so. Not after what happened at the Survivor Series.

Q: There's one question here. It hurts to say, but Jim Neidhart is, and has been for a while, a high-profile jobber. How do you feel about that, and will that ever happen to you? [Dustin Diaz]
A: I don't know what to say about that. Jim's had a good run in the WWF. Then they let him go, and I got him hired in WCW in 1993. He kind of overpriced himself when he went in 1993. And so they didn't really want to touch him. I don't think that they'd do that to me, on the basis that if they want to run England, or run Europe, it would be silly to do that to me. To sign me up for three years, they will use me to the best of my abilities to draw them money in Europe.

Q: Have you discussed with WCW any plans for a British/European tour? [Ryan Gray]
A: Yeah, they're working on Europe right now. And they're working on Canada. They're getting the TVs [shows] all on good stations. So hopefully they'll do good.

Q: More questions about allegiances here. Before you were in WCW, you were with Lex Luger as the Allied Powers. Do you see that re-uniting? [Greg]
A: We could possibly tag up. I've still got my jacket, even though Vince gave me a contract, wanting me to sign it saying that he owns all the rights to the name Allied Powers. I never did sign it. They day that we were supposed to sign it was the day that Lex left for the WCW. So I never did sign the contract saying that I'd give the name to Vince. I've still got the jacket upstairs. I think that I've worn it one time.

Q: Would you consider teaming up with fellow Brits like Chris Adams or Steve Regal? [Clifford D. Pine]
A: Yeah. There's a lot of potential there. There's Steve Regal. There's Fit Finley, who I've known for a very long time. There's always potential to get together. The more the merrier, I guess. There's strength in numbers.