Author Topic: Do people of faith believe there is life on other planets?  (Read 13765 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Do people of faith believe there is life on other planets?
« on: July 17, 2009, 09:49:15 AM »
Do people of faith believe there is life on other planets?  Do your religious views allow for intelligent life on other planets and the possibility that they might visit earth?  Would your faith be tested, affirmed, or undermined by a visit from alien life?

If a planet is too close to a sun it will be too hot to support life as we know it; if a planet is too far from a sun, it will be too cold to support life as we know it.  A planet that is not too far away or too close to its sun (like Earth) lies in what astronomers call the Habitable Zone of a star system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitable_zone

Given the amount of stars out there and the amount of planets that must exist in the Habitable Zone, I am certain there is intelligent life on other planets. :)

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Re: Do people of faith believe there is life on other planets?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 08:57:13 AM »
the dzopa stones

http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Dzopa.html

also do a search for "the orion belt ufos"

and see what ya find!  :)
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 08:58:30 AM »
The star Child

carpe` vaginum!

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 05:32:57 PM »
good question..gotta ponder this a bit

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
Do people of faith believe there is life on other planets?  Do your religious views allow for intelligent life on other planets and the possibility that they might visit earth?  Would your faith be tested, affirmed, or undermined by a visit from alien life?

As far as I can tell the Christian bible does not state the impossibility of life on other planets. 

My faith wouldn't be tested/affirmed nor undermined by a visit from alien life.

It's interesting though that some people believe UFO activity and "alien visitors" may actually be demons that have broken through to this dimension or that we are allowed to see them for some reason.

Some believe that the UFO deal will play a big part in the end times.
R

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 08:28:44 PM »
question stells...

lets say there is life on other planets...

would god have sent them prophets also? or an equivalent of Jesus and a equivalent bible?
carpe` vaginum!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 10:03:57 AM »
question stells...

would god have sent them prophets also? or an equivalent of Jesus and a equivalent bible?

I was thinking the same thing.  If aliens came to earth and made any reference to a Christ-like figure or religious text in their past it is hard to believe religious people on earth would not be quick to latch onto it as proof of their religious beliefs.

There is precedent for this; we have all seen and heard stories of statues of the virgin Mary crying.  The news media and people of faith go into a frenzy every time there is rumor of something like this happening.  Similarly, remember all the buzz generated by the Shroud of Turin?  It ostensibly contained the image of a man who appears to have been physically traumatized in a manner consistent with crucifixion.  After many years of hype, it was finally radiocarbon dated and shown to be have been created at least 1300 years after the crucifixion.  The hype quickly disappeared.

In my experience, people of faith tend to bend facts to fit into their preconceived notions.  A visit from aliens would likely be assimilated in the same dynamic. :-\

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 10:35:22 AM »
question stells...

Don't know...it's possible.

I was thinking the same thing.  If aliens came to earth and made any reference to a Christ-like figure or religious text in their past it is hard to believe religious people on earth would not be quick to latch onto it as proof of their religious beliefs.

I don't know about that...did you read this:

It's interesting though that some people believe UFO activity and "alien visitors" may actually be demons that have broken through to this dimension or that we are allowed to see them for some reason.

Your scenario would make some people very wary imo.  I don't think every Christian would necessarily believe what the aliens say regarding a Christ-like figure or religious text....especially if they believe them to be demons.

There is precedent for this; we have all seen and heard stories of statues of the virgin Mary crying.  The news media and people of faith go into a frenzy every time there is rumor of something like this happening.  Similarly, remember all the buzz generated by the Shroud of Turin?  It ostensibly contained the image of a man who appears to have been physically traumatized in a manner consistent with crucifixion.  After many years of hype, it was finally radiocarbon dated and shown to be have been created at least 1300 years after the crucifixion.  The hype quickly disappeared.

I don't really see the crying Mary stuff and the shroud a long the same lines as possible alien visitation.  

And I don't know enough about the shroud to comment on it but I don't believe that "crying" statues are a sign from God.   Mainly because I feel it wrongly results in people worshipping Mary (a dead [but yes special!] human woman) and/or worshipping statues, grilled cheeses..whatever.
R

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 11:24:57 AM »
As far as I can tell the Christian bible does not state the impossibility of life on other planets. 

My faith wouldn't be tested/affirmed nor undermined by a visit from alien life.

I feel the same though, if they came off the ship with proof of some sort that they planted the idea of Christ and etc...my faith would be tested. I don't remember where but in the bible somewhere there is reference that "only creatures among the stars / heavens (depending on translation) are the son's of the Almighty. Also, just cause it's not in the bible doesn't mean it's not possible. For example, dinosaurs...not in the bible but we know they existed.

I see the bible as more of a guide on how to be a good person with stories about those who were and were not and the actions that lead them down their path....vs. absolute literal law like many.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 05:42:42 PM »

In my experience, people of faith tend to bend facts to fit into their preconceived notions.  A visit from aliens would likely be assimilated in the same dynamic. :-\
check out the object floating in the back
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 05:51:39 PM »
also

carpe` vaginum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 01:03:08 PM »
Isn't it odd that the same people who ridicule the idea of God have no trouble believing in little green men? 

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 05:19:02 PM »
It's it odd that the same people who ridicule the idea of God have no trouble believing in little green men? 

i didn't say i BELIEVE in little green men...

but thee is a helluva lot more evidence out there for their existance than god  ;)

below..face on mars
carpe` vaginum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 07:50:18 PM »

but thee is a helluva lot more evidence out there for their existance than god  ;)

below..face on mars

That's about as believable as the face of Jesus appearing on a piece of toast. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 09:14:27 PM »
That's about as believable as the face of Jesus appearing on a piece of toast. 

agreed

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 09:34:53 PM »
DAWG

Joel_A

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 05:33:44 AM »

below..face on mars

Yeah man, that is matrixing. The same as Michael Jackson, Jesus, and the Virgin Mary appearing on dog turds. People would see what they want to see. There are plenty of other shots of that same rock formation with different lighting and it looks nothing like a face.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 06:50:45 AM »
Yeah man, that is matrixing. The same as Michael Jackson, Jesus, and the Virgin Mary appearing on dog turds. People would see what they want to see. There are plenty of other shots of that same rock formation with different lighting and it looks nothing like a face.

yeah the new viking pictures...i've read both sides of the arguments...

if ya get a chance catch Ancient Aliens on the history channel...

how about this...why has THIS NOT made the news yet?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=nasas-mission-to-bomb-the-moon-2009-06

NASA = Never A Straight Answer
carpe` vaginum!

Joel_A

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 07:02:01 AM »
yeah the new viking pictures...i've read both sides of the arguments...

if ya get a chance catch Ancient Aliens on the history channel...

how about this...why has THIS NOT made the news yet?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=nasas-mission-to-bomb-the-moon-2009-06

NASA = Never A Straight Answer

I watched most of it last night but fell asleep. Saw the part in Peru where there was what looked like a flattened part of the mountain. Looked interesting and really got me thinking. Will try and catch it another time.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 07:04:58 AM »
I watched most of it last night but fell asleep. Saw the part in Peru where there was what looked like a flattened part of the mountain. Looked interesting and really got me thinking. Will try and catch it another time.

i ws watching it last night also and the Peru part was the most interesting part..

especially the machining that went into building...for a culture that did not have a written language.. :-\
carpe` vaginum!

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 01:17:43 PM »
Not in our solar system.
W

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 01:26:28 PM »
Not in our solar system.

correct...but how many other solar systems are there.
DAWG

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 01:41:53 PM »
Not in our solar system.

In other news, scientists confirmed today that water is indeed wet.  ::)

correct...but how many other solar systems are there.

Billions! (see video above)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 02:30:44 PM »

Billions! (see video above)

yep I enjoyed that video.I don't see how people could believe theres not life out there.With so many other suns with planets around them.I'd venture to say it's impossible theres not other life.
DAWG

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 05:15:36 PM »
In other news, scientists confirmed today that water is indeed wet.  ::)

You got the joke, you are indeed a funny guy!
W