Author Topic: Permanent "stiffness" in lower back: esp after sitting  (Read 21425 times)

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
Permanent "stiffness" in lower back: esp after sitting
« on: July 21, 2009, 04:31:26 AM »
I think the last 4-5 months my back is acting up. Stopped working out lower body, didn't even do cardio.

It doesn't really "hurt", but when i sit down for even 15-30 minutes, i have trouble getting up.
My back muscles stiffen up really fast. Also in the morning after laying down for a long time at night. Doesn't really hurt or anything, it just gets uncomfortable after sitting for a while. Walking doens't bother me, neither running.

I had pictures taken (lowest disc is slightly misaligned), but the fysiotherapist didn't seem to take it very serious.
He basically said there wasn't anything he could do.

Does anybody have any ideas or experience?

I'm thinking on doing stretches (hamstrings, ... , other types?) and doing plancks to strenghten my core. Also i'll start running again.

$

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Re: Permanent "stiffness" in lower back: esp after sitting
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 02:54:28 PM »
Maybe use a lumbar support pillow when sitting?

Also maybe get a massage and ask them to focus on that area.  Try to get a massage every other week.
R

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 03:22:57 PM »
Maybe use a lumbar support pillow when sitting?

Also maybe get a massage and ask them to focus on that area.  Try to get a massage every other week.
Thanks for the advice on the lumbar support pillow. I will definately look into that.

About the massage, i'll consider it. However, I have the feeling massages might cover up a bit underlying causes of muscles imbalance or tightness. I'd prefer to find a method, or stretching or strenghtening exercises that help me beat this myself.

Thanks for the advice stella, if anybody else has more input.
Or any recommended sites or forums? I 've been looking for a while now for helpfull sites or forums but it's strange i can't find more stuff myself, considering this must be a very common problem...

$

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 08:11:45 AM »
Here is a site that has pillows and "support belts" and some other stuff and info that may be helpful:

http://www.arc4life.com/site/615058/page/663714

Also, I would def. get a massage...it won't "cover up" underlying causes imo...but will loosen you up.  I've had a shoulder thing for awhile now and massage really helps it and my last massage a couple days ago w/a new lady has really helped...she did stretching w/massage...kind of a "release therapy."  It really helped and I will continue to see her.

Faust, please get at least one massage and explain your problem in advance of the massage.  I think you can really be helped...and maybe you will go more often.  It's not just a luxury...it can really help w/aches and pains etc.

R

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 03:39:12 AM »
Here is a site that has pillows and "support belts" and some other stuff and info that may be helpful:

http://www.arc4life.com/site/615058/page/663714

Also, I would def. get a massage...it won't "cover up" underlying causes imo...but will loosen you up.  I've had a shoulder thing for awhile now and massage really helps it and my last massage a couple days ago w/a new lady has really helped...she did stretching w/massage...kind of a "release therapy."  It really helped and I will continue to see her.

Faust, please get at least one massage and explain your problem in advance of the massage.  I think you can really be helped...and maybe you will go more often.  It's not just a luxury...it can really help w/aches and pains etc.
Thx, looking for a job now.
If i get a good paying one, i'll try the massages and buy some back support.

Now i'm also developing a pain in my right glute. First i thought it was a muscle strain or something, but now i think its a pinched nerve or something in the lower back which radiates to the glute.

ps Stella:
I had shoulder problems for a long time, but they were caused by a muscle imbalance. Once i started training my back and back delts harder they faded away.
$

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 06:44:22 AM »
Thx, looking for a job now.
If i get a good paying one, i'll try the massages and buy some back support.

Now i'm also developing a pain in my right glute. First i thought it was a muscle strain or something, but now i think its a pinched nerve or something in the lower back which radiates to the glute.

ps Stella:
I had shoulder problems for a long time, but they were caused by a muscle imbalance. Once i started training my back and back delts harder they faded away.

You could be right about your glute pain.  Once you get a job you may try chiropractic as well as massage.

Thanks for the info on the back and rear delt training!  I will try it as soon as my neck pain goes away!

We're a mess ;D
R

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 12:01:38 PM »
Until you can see a chiro or MT, try supermans, bird dogs and foam rolling along with some low back stretches.

SUPINE LUMBAR ROTATION

Lie on your back with your knees bent. Keeping your knees together and your shoulders against the floor, roll your knees to one side until you feel a stretch in your back or hip. Hold for 30-60 seconds or until muscles feel looser.

:

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 05:26:44 AM »
Alright, i talked with my father and i'm getting a scan done (though i had pictures taken already, which show a slight disfunction, he wants to be sure there's nothing serious) and probably afterward i'll be getting treatment.

The phsyiotherapist i saw also is a chiropractic, he's a friend of my dad. But my father says he doesn't like to manipulate.
Still, i got the impression he didn't take my problem serious at all. And his advice to do some more exercise doesn't really cut it imo.

@ princess
Thx, i'm doing the first version of the supermans, and also some stretching.
Don't have those foams.

@ Stella
I would definately start training more back and back delts. I had shoulder pains that kept me up at night, that faded away pretty quick once i strenghtened those muscles more and now my shoulders are great. I was doing too much chest work, the pecs and front delts were overpowering and it was hurting my shoulders. Also, the serratus is important for stabilisation.

If i were you, i'd drop most things that hit chest and front delts (maybe even curls) and for chest just do slow push ups with an extra push at the top to hit the serratus good.
$

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 02:30:38 AM »
had an rx scan today

discal hernia  :-\
probably been walking around with this shit for 4 months
$

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 06:39:09 AM »
had an rx scan today

discal hernia  :-\
probably been walking around with this shit for 4 months

:-\

Sorry to hear that Faust.  Will you need surgery?
R

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 07:31:05 AM »
:-\

Sorry to hear that Faust.  Will you need surgery?
No, thank god. It's not that serious yet.

I went to another chiro today. He is hopefull that there can be good improvement even in a couple of weeks.
He did some tests and manipulations. Apparently my pelvis isn't really in its right position and also my spine is too rigid which is causing the problems. And the hernia pressing the nerves explains the glute pains.
It was really nice hearing his explanations and it all made sense somehow.

Now after his treatment my lower back is acting really weird. Its acting up, but in different places, i hope its a good sign.
Next week another appointment.
$

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 11:40:51 AM »
No, thank god. It's not that serious yet.

I went to another chiro today. He is hopefull that there can be good improvement even in a couple of weeks.
He did some tests and manipulations. Apparently my pelvis isn't really in its right position and also my spine is too rigid which is causing the problems. And the hernia pressing the nerves explains the glute pains.
It was really nice hearing his explanations and it all made sense somehow.

Now after his treatment my lower back is acting really weird. Its acting up, but in different places, i hope its a good sign.
Next week another appointment.

HOpe it all works out!
R

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 10:50:52 AM »
Thx, had my second appt today.

The radiating pain has dissapeared. Now we're gonna work on the stiffness. He tried loosening the muscles, but he said he never had seen a back like this where he couldn't move anything.

He also worked a bit on my pelvis. Seems there is progress, though afterwards it felt really weird (pain now in left buttock/hip). And when i got back home and tried getting out of the car it took me like ten minutes before i could walk. Had to go lay on the floor  :-\

I'm optimistic though. Next appointment in two weeks.
$

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 12:12:43 PM »
Great progress. I  don't want to sound too optimistic, because i'm not 100% yet, but the last two days i've had tremendous progress. This guy is the real deal. Even though i was hurting again for the first two days after my second appointment, now i'd say i've gotten 80% improvement.

Flexibility is not where its got to be, but at least i can touch my knees again. Radiating pain dissapeared as well. I tried running a bit, but too soon, pain crept in. I went swimming the other day without pain/stiffness.
$

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 01:16:20 AM »
Well, saw a lot of improvement in those two days. Afterwards VERY small improvements daily.
Had some muscle twitches in my left leg for a couple of days, probably pressure on some nerve.

But right now i'm happy. No more real pain, and stiffness is 80% gone. I can sit in a chair now and get up normally afterwards. Next week friday i have another appointment, let's see what he says.

But i'm really happy to be almost back to normal. I think i'll have to give it a couple of weeks before this hernia is healed completely and i can do everything (eg running/working out) again. But i'll definately take this as a wake-up call and treat my back with respect from now on. It's a bit a family thing on my mother's side so i guess for me prevention will be key from now on.
$

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 01:14:14 PM »
Alright, i'll just give a last update for whoever is interested.

Had my third and probably last appointment with the osteopath.

He says my pelvis is still a bit misaligned which is causing problems. But at the same time he said i probably won't need further appointments, and in the next couple of weeks my body should continue to heal/adapt.

I feel 95% better though. Made really great improvements. I guess i will have to be patient and let everything heal now before i start running etc again. I am really happy that after 5 months or so of back pain this thing is coming to an end...
$

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 02:46:58 PM »
That's great news Faust!  Glad you could get it taken care of w/o surgery :)
R

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 07:18:46 AM »
Alright, i'll just give a last update for whoever is interested.

Had my third and probably last appointment with the osteopath.

He says my pelvis is still a bit misaligned which is causing problems. But at the same time he said i probably won't need further appointments, and in the next couple of weeks my body should continue to heal/adapt.

I feel 95% better though. Made really great improvements. I guess i will have to be patient and let everything heal now before i start running etc again. I am really happy that after 5 months or so of back pain this thing is coming to an end...

Great to hear. Osteopathy is under-rated imo

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 12:38:50 AM »
What kind of mattress do you have?

I had a problem with morning back stiffness. I was sleeping on a soft mattress. After getting a firm one, the condition improved considerably.