Author Topic: MMA is the new (and better) BB!!!  (Read 7874 times)

Epic_Monster

• Getbig V
  • "Let me pose on this one" - REV. X
Re: MMA is the new (and better) BB!!!
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2009, 04:36:20 PM »
Spirit of Truth

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2009, 04:39:25 PM »

Best KO of the year.

yes! this was great !  ;D

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
LOL...when was the last time you were at a USA?

ok, most of the audience are older people who can afford a weekend trip to vegas, again not the desired demographics for supplements.

the desired demographics for supplements are 16-25 year old males, and they're more likely to watch MMA (on tv) than go to a bb contest

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
face it competitive bodybuilding died long time ago.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2009, 07:41:40 PM »
Exhibition sports and combat sports aren't comparable. 

As in the other thread.  Bodybuilders bodybuild, fighters are trying to stave off fatigue, catabolism, and increase performance. 

Most of the guys at my and other academys take lots of supps.  Maybe different from BB supps, but they do supplement.  Not nearly in the same dosage levels either.  Weight gain is the antithesis to a competitor.  You want to be the biggest competitor in your respected class.  A month ago, I cut 14 lbs to get into a lower weight division to compete. 

And don't get me started on the WWE versus MMA thing.  One is real, one is scripted.  Brock would have been successful in any endeavor he attempted, he is a stud athlete.  And Lashley has been fed a steady stream of tomatoe cans.  He is definitely is not ready for the big time. 

RJ

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2009, 10:52:16 PM »
The truth about supplements and bodybuilding is that anyone who actually pays to go to a bodybuilding show is probabally a bodybuilder. By the time a "bodybuilder" is actually going to see a bodybuilding competition there likely educated enough to know these companys that make supplements are jokes, the supplements are garbage and the average bodybuilder who buys tickets for a pro bodybuilder show realizes it. By this time I believe they understand that Dexter Jackson didnt build his physique with creatine and glutamine..lol So really I have no clue and never did understand why these supplement companys have the faces of massive bodybuilders on there product. Its the biggest lie I ever scene. I know the general public would believe an MMA fighter using a supplement product than a cartoon like GH filled bodybuilder. That to me is a little more realistic even though its still a lie. I love bodybuilding, but it is what it is.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2009, 11:16:53 PM »

Awesome,..maybe they'll be smart enough to figure out that people that watch MMA don't buy supplements.  There might be far less people at NPC shows, but they are about 99% more likely to be BBers themselves, trainers, people that lift, etc...

BTW...just because every company YOU deal with has bailed out (allegedly) doesn't mean ALL of them have...And TWO of the BB related supp companies are not going back to sponsoring any MMA events as they seen the cross section of fans attending were definately NOT likely to purchase supps.

As for "nobody" being at local/ regional events....obviously, you haven't been to any yourself...USA- sold out/ Jr. Nats- standing room only/ Lindsay shows- at capacity....I'll be at Dexter's show this weekend hosting.....I'll be sure to note your nostradomous like predictions to the sold out crowd....as it was last year

You're so talking out of your ass....

BSN promotes heavily to martial artists, and there are a lot of them. For the people who only watch, and if you have ever been to MMA events, there aren't many who ONLY watch and don't train, at least here in europe the martial arts community is so much bigger than BB, but, for the people who only watch, there's T-Shirts, Caps, Posters and so on, the typical fan stuff.

There are hundreds of Martial Arts events every weekend, small ones and some big ones every few weeks. MMA outsells BB by far.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2009, 11:21:33 PM »
The truth about supplements and bodybuilding is that anyone who actually pays to go to a bodybuilding show is probabally a bodybuilder. By the time a "bodybuilder" is actually going to see a bodybuilding competition there likely educated enough to know these companys that make supplements are jokes, the supplements are garbage and the average bodybuilder who buys tickets for a pro bodybuilder show realizes it. By this time I believe they understand that Dexter Jackson didnt build his physique with creatine and glutamine..lol So really I have no clue and never did understand why these supplement companys have the faces of massive bodybuilders on there product. Its the biggest lie I ever scene. I know the general public would believe an MMA fighter using a supplement product than a cartoon like GH filled bodybuilder. That to me is a little more realistic even though its still a lie. I love bodybuilding, but it is what it is.

good post, although i disagree strongly on "only people who workout watch BB", but MMA is not as drug infested down to the lowest ranks of followers like BB.

Try to find me a gym without juicers, you will hardly find one. But there are lots and lots of MA dojos with people that don't do steroids.

In my hometown, we have a few "fighting shops" popping out of the ground, they also sell supplements, and the shops do much better than the typical BB supplement stores. People are scared to walk into a BB store here, they also say lots of crap like "It's bad for your health", that doesn't go with MA at all.

Alex23

« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2009, 11:35:32 PM »
In my hometown, we have a few "fighting shops" popping out of the ground, they also sell supplements, and the shops do much better than the typical BB supplement stores. People are scared to walk into a BB store here, they also say lots of crap like "It's bad for your health", that doesn't go with MA at all.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're such a fucking tool, I didn't realized how fucking dumb you are....

Why don't you take your 150lb skinny fat self, visit the "fighting shop" and start shadow boxing on an hourly basis instead of posting idiocies on here?

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2009, 11:40:23 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're such a fucking tool, I didn't realized how fucking dumb you are....

Why don't you take your 150lb skinny fat self, visit the "fighting shop" and start shadow boxing on an hourly basis instead of posting idiocies on here?

meltdown. I must have hurt you very bad. Sorry for that.

Maybe you can try getting me out of your head for a while, it will help you. Oh and diet, please.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2009, 06:08:18 AM »
Donkey by 'BB store' do mean GNC, Vitamin World, and Vitamin Shoppe style stores? I can't imagine anyone afraid to enter those types of stores.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2009, 06:09:28 AM »
maybe donkey kong should go on hiatus  from his 15 posts perday
A

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2009, 10:34:49 AM »
leave the guy alone... must have serious scaredy issues, specialy as he's scared of bodybuilding shops....

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2009, 10:52:09 AM »
Again, some facts for you.  In 1996, the hight of the supplement industry, we used to sell to over 10,000 individual supplement shops.  Most were mom/pop places that made a good living for themselves. Today there is less than 3,000 of these stores and most are struggling.  The only solid players left are GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, Hi-Health & Vitamin World.  And, I can tell you that these guys aren't doing what they were 10 years ago.  I can also tell you that the leading gym/club chain is down significantly in supplement sales, however their memberships are up...
w

spinnis

« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2009, 11:11:37 AM »
Bodybuilding posing is gay.

Best KO of the year.

a few better ko's then that this year, Bisping for example.

Anyway,

LOL at the commentator,

NOT JUST A KO. THAT WAS A  KTFO IN A MASSIVE WAY!!  (Knocked the fuck out)  loool!

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2009, 06:08:44 PM »
Again, some facts for you.  In 1996, the hight of the supplement industry, we used to sell to over 10,000 individual supplement shops.  Most were mom/pop places that made a good living for themselves. Today there is less than 3,000 of these stores and most are struggling.  The only solid players left are GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, Hi-Health & Vitamin World.  And, I can tell you that these guys aren't doing what they were 10 years ago.  I can also tell you that the leading gym/club chain is down significantly in supplement sales, however their memberships are up...

No different than the many mom and pop hardware stores tnhat have fallen victim to the big business of home depot and Lowes, or the mom and pop grocery stores who couldn't keep up with Walmart and Target...

Smaller chains have all been left in the dust, supplement business is no different. They all fell to GNC, Vitamin World, BB.com, and the various other internet sites...BB.com did 130M last year (up from 100M/2007) and projected to be near 200M/ 2009...which took a toll on the retail businesses you listed

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2009, 11:01:33 PM »
a few better ko's then that this year, Bisping for example.

Anyway,

LOL at the commentator,

NOT JUST A KO. THAT WAS A  KTFO IN A MASSIVE WAY!!  (Knocked the fuck out)  loool!

Shut your ugly face up before I stomp you.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2009, 01:30:51 AM »
Donkey by 'BB store' do mean GNC, Vitamin World, and Vitamin Shoppe style stores? I can't imagine anyone afraid to enter those types of stores.

No, we don't have these here in germany.

supplement stores are normally small owner led stores, where you have some roided out freak behind the counter that sells supplements over and roids under the counter.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2009, 02:26:56 AM »
every sport has groupies. Hockey, football, baseball. MMA is no different

except the MMA groupies tend to have breast implants, daddy issues, and the drunk, wife-beating boyfriend at home.  And You know damn straight, if they had a chance at the NBA, NFL guys they would, they are just lower level groupies. If MMA really does explode, the quality of hoes grows.

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2009, 02:43:12 AM »

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2009, 11:09:24 AM »
except the MMA groupies tend to have breast implants, daddy issues, and the drunk, wife-beating boyfriend at home.  And You know damn straight, if they had a chance at the NBA, NFL guys they would, they are just lower level groupies. If MMA really does explode, the quality of hoes grows.

MMA already has exploded.  They sell more PPVs than boxing and pro wrasslin.  Just because they don't pay the fighters as much as boxing doesn't mean that it hasn't exploded.  That means that Zuffa, LLC has a better business model than boxing promoters. 

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2009, 09:17:05 PM »
MMA already has exploded.  They sell more PPVs than boxing and pro wrasslin.  Just because they don't pay the fighters as much as boxing doesn't mean that it hasn't exploded.  That means that Zuffa, LLC has a better business model than boxing promoters. 

MMA, has grown, but as some ESPN guys pointed out, it is not as poular as the NBA, NFL, or MLB, they don't need PPV, anytime you need PPV, you know it's more of niche. Because they don't pay the fighters as much a the boxers, shows that there is not as much money going around.

It will be interesting to see if MMA will last or if it is a fad, if it lasts, how will boxing be affected, will MMA be a Olympic sport, and will boxing be absorbed into the MMA fold?

Alex23

« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2009, 06:21:49 PM »
MMA, has grown, but as some ESPN guys pointed out, it is not as poular as the NBA, NFL, or MLB, they don't need PPV, anytime you need PPV, you know it's more of niche. Because they don't pay the fighters as much a the boxers, shows that there is not as much money going around.

It will be interesting to see if MMA will last or if it is a fad, if it lasts, how will boxing be affected, will MMA be a Olympic sport, and will boxing be absorbed into the MMA fold?

LOL it's a FAD.

back in 1996. they would ask us if we wanted to "get in the octogon". 15+ years of judo, no thanks, I like the way face is configured and I have a Science degree.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2009, 06:36:18 PM »

I think boxing faded A bit because it was being percieved as being corrupt and shady.

Alex23

« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2009, 06:57:39 PM »
I think boxing faded A bit because it was being percieved as being corrupt and shady.

Exactly.