Author Topic: Frustrated Benchpresser  (Read 3937 times)

bigjoered

• Getbig II
Frustrated Benchpresser
« on: August 03, 2009, 06:45:06 AM »
Need some help here guys.  I am 6' 4" weighing in about 225lbs and I have very long arms.  I have been told that bodybuilders with long limbs struggle with bench press and squats overall with regard to loading.  I am desperately trying to increase my barbell bench press and have hit a plateau.  I am experimenting with heavy negatives and alternating floor benchpress to help with my training.  What I don't understand is why I am able to dumbell press heavier weight then my conventional barbell press.  This goes against everything that I know is normal.  My barbell benchpres weight is currently 335lbs for 5 and my dumbell press is 340 for 10 with relative ease ( my gym dose not have dumbells heavier than 170's).  I watched a guy come in the gym the other day and press 505lbs for 5 and this is discouraging for me.  What could I be doing wrong?  By the way my form has been complemented on by the trainers as smooth and in good tracking so I don't think the problem is there.

I may never set a record but my life goal is to press 400lbs currently I have been training seriously for about 3 years and I am 30 years old.

splinterhands

• Getbig II
Re: Frustrated Benchpresser
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 08:33:56 PM »
My barbell benchpres weight is currently 335lbs for 5 and my dumbell press is 340 for 10 with relative ease  

You wouldn't happen to have a video of this would ya? 

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 08:54:40 PM »
You wouldn't happen to have a video of this would ya? 

hmmmm, 335lbs for 5, 170's for 10 at 6'4, 225lbs......
No doubt about it...

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 08:56:03 PM »
oh and 335lbs BB for 5, yet can do the 170's for 10 with ease. Something doesn't really add up.......
No doubt about it...

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 08:57:27 PM »
i would love to help, but i have never heard of this "bench press".

bench

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 09:03:32 PM »
oh and 335lbs BB for 5, yet can do the 170's for 10 with ease. Something doesn't really add up.......

my suggestion was a form and technique problem

splinterhands

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 09:12:05 PM »
I'm not that far behind on his barbell bench but I doubt I could even get the 170's off the rack. ;D

splinterhands

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 09:13:10 PM »
my suggestion was a form and technique problem

That's why I feel a video would help... :)

needmoresize

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 10:31:17 PM »
Your numbers are pretty fuggin solid. Quit bitchin. I'm 6'3 220 and my max ever was 300 once(yes i put 2.5's on). You are pretty beastly compared to most humans

needmoresize

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 10:33:01 PM »
Btw, i dont believe your dumbell claim, sorry

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 01:16:59 AM »
Do you have a spotter helping you with your 1/8th reps?

bigjoered

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 03:39:03 AM »
I see alot of flamming here but I can deal with it.  For those that mentioned my form most people in the gym I attend are impressed with the weight alone but my occasional training partners tell me that my barbell bench #s should be much higher than dumbells.  I dont have any video but maybe I will try to convince a third person to do that for the haters. 

When going heavy with dumbells my training partners assist me with loading the weights on my thighs and then with my first lift off.  I am sure thats what most of you do as well.  When I approach my sixth or seventh rep I start to need help with sticking points but overall I am in controll of the weight.

One final note their are some chicks in my gym that are pressing 335, check out www.brutestrengthgym.net and stop your criticism.

For those willing to help thanks

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 04:17:30 AM »
Don't get frustrated buddy,  We weren't built for that lift.  I've always made my best gains on the incline. 

splinterhands

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 11:56:24 AM »
I agologize if you're being serious.  I just don't see how you're hitting 335 X 5 flat bench and hitting 170's for 10 with dumbells.

What does your workout look like?  I'm assuming you're a powerlifter.  What's your deads and squats routines look like? 

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »
Bench is very hard to improve for the veteran. If you are worried about body composition, forget it. Any minute increase is a blessing. (You don't disclose if you're a BBer or PLer)

The only time I really improve benching is eating more and not being concerned with my waistline.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 01:31:27 PM »
Tell us exactly what you have been doing lately...

Big-C

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 03:25:59 PM »
Do you have a spotter helping you with your 1/8th reps?

lol....

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 03:35:38 PM »
The only time I really improve benching is eating more and not being concerned with my waistline.

Agreed, out of all the lifts, my bench is more dependent on my body weight than any other.  Gain weight, lift more.

bigjoered

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 04:50:22 PM »
I have been trying to get input from some of the guys in my gym on this as well.  One thing I was told recently is that I don't alternate frequently enough between dumbells and barbell.  I guess because I have seen impressive gains in my dumbell press I tend to stick with it.  I posed this question here to see if any one else had this problem.  Also Wednesday I was in by myself and as I began to load to about 275 on barbel I noticed a tendency for me to bend my elbows prematurely which I think is because with my hands locked in postion on the barbell I have a natural hindge point which starts earlier than when I use the dumbells.  Try to visualize this and give me some input if you don't mind.

Thanks

thebear

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 05:28:12 PM »
Do something you have never done to "shock" your body into growth - bench only once a week, bomb your back, increase your tricep work with power lifting type movements like dips, close grips, JM presses, board presses, lockouts, heavy floor presses, band work etc...
maybe some GVT for a change up to your routine, how is your diet ? how are your sleep / recovery habits ?BOMB your legs, it might be you just have to find and do some things your body hasn't been exposed to yet

335 x 5 has got to be pretty close to a 400 lb. single, if you are hitting 170 # dumbbells for 10 reps and are completing a full range of motion for half those reps you should already be over 4 bills on the bench . I gotta tell ya, 170 x 10 is pretty darn impressive !

As for chicks benching over 335 - that would have to be shirted, no way that is a raw bench .

Good luck on your endeavors bro !

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 10:23:17 PM »
my dumbell press is 340 for 10 with relative ease ( my gym dose not have dumbells heavier than 170's).

You're f'n full of shit.  No offense.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 06:48:27 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA OK "bigjoered"  ::)

bigjoered

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 09:02:17 AM »
There are so many natural weaklings on this site.  What I mean is many of you cant help but have weak minds, weak bodies and weak lines.  Dedicated lifters break natural barriers everyday thats what makes them exceptional.  I posted a serious inquiry about technique not to lure idiots into the discussion.  Unless you have something serious to say keep your opinions to yourself...

Thank you.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 07:51:45 PM »
There are so many natural weaklings on this site.  What I mean is many of you cant help but have weak minds, weak bodies and weak lines.  Dedicated lifters break natural barriers everyday thats what makes them exceptional.  I posted a serious inquiry about technique not to lure idiots into the discussion.  Unless you have something serious to say keep your opinions to yourself...

Thank you.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Meltdown ::)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 04:12:09 AM »
I posted a serious inquiry about technique not to lure idiots into the discussion. 

It appears you are faced with a dilemma...