Author Topic: McCain to Vote Against Sotomayor for Supreme Court  (Read 2564 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
McCain to Vote Against Sotomayor for Supreme Court
« on: August 03, 2009, 01:27:38 PM »
She is still going to sail through. 

The Arizona senator calls Sotomayor a judicial activist who tried to walk back from that record during her confirmation hearings.

AP

Monday, August 03, 2009

WASHINGTON -- Republican Sen. John McCain says he'll oppose Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor when the Senate votes on her confirmation this week.

The Arizona senator calls Sotomayor a judicial activist who tried to walk back from that record during her confirmation hearings. He says President Barack Obama's nominee has used her position as a judge to try to change the law.

McCain is one of several Republicans from states with heavily Hispanic populations to come out against Sotomayor, the daughter of Puerto Rican parents raised in a New York City housing project and educated in the Ivy League.

McCain says Sotomayor's life story is inspiring and compelling, but he says that's not enough to qualify her for a position on the high court.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/03/mccain-vote-sotomayor-supreme-court/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: McCain to Vote Against Sotomayor for Supreme Court
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
She is still going to sail through. 

The Arizona senator calls Sotomayor a judicial activist who tried to walk back from that record during her confirmation hearings.

AP

Monday, August 03, 2009

WASHINGTON -- Republican Sen. John McCain says he'll oppose Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor when the Senate votes on her confirmation this week.

The Arizona senator calls Sotomayor a judicial activist who tried to walk back from that record during her confirmation hearings. He says President Barack Obama's nominee has used her position as a judge to try to change the law.

McCain is one of several Republicans from states with heavily Hispanic populations to come out against Sotomayor, the daughter of Puerto Rican parents raised in a New York City housing project and educated in the Ivy League.

McCain says Sotomayor's life story is inspiring and compelling, but he says that's not enough to qualify her for a position on the high court.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/03/mccain-vote-sotomayor-supreme-court/

What a good time for McCain to grow a set politically.  He might be president today if he took the same stance while running for president.   

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:34:56 PM »
A lifetime appointment...you'd think there'd be a more thorough process.   :-\

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:38:40 PM »
he would be president if he would have stayed the way he was in 2000 instead of pandering to the religious right

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 01:42:57 PM »
he would be president if he would have stayed the way he was in 2000 instead of pandering to the religious right
Sen. McCain would be President McCain had he actually PANDERED to the religious right.  Ask 50%-60% of the Catholics who voted in favor of Obama. 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 01:47:34 PM »
by religious right i mean Evangelicals ,you know the nutjobs

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 01:50:15 PM »
Nothing at all like the anti-war, anti-America, shitbag libs rights.
L

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 01:55:26 PM »
by religious right i mean Evangelicals ,you know the nutjobs
That would be me and my bible-thumpin' friends.  ;)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 01:59:04 PM »
The same crew that made him pick palin as a running mate If he would have picked romney he would have won.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 02:16:43 PM »
The same crew that made him pick palin as a running mate If he would have picked romney he would have won.
Quite possible, but it's more likely that Romney would have had some trouble getting votes from the Catholics.  Remember, 50-60% of them voted for Obama.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
A lifetime appointment...you'd think there'd be a more thorough process.   :-\

it's no less thorough than it was for Roberts or Alito and I believe those two might have even been faster

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 02:21:56 PM »
it's no less thorough than it was for Roberts or Alito and I believe those two might have even been faster

This is the wrong fight for the GOP to wage, IMHO.  Obama won the election and gets his pick.  The GOP already made her look like an idiot at the hearings by getting her to agree with their positions.     

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 02:40:34 PM »
This is the wrong fight for the GOP to wage, IMHO.  Obama won the election and gets his pick.  The GOP already made her look like an idiot at the hearings by getting her to agree with their positions.     

what hearings were you looking at?

Sotomayor smoked them and the Repubs just sounded like broken records and looked like morons

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 02:42:20 PM »
thats not what shawn hannidy told him

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 02:50:34 PM »
thats not what shawn hannidy told him

exactly

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
LOL now I am convinced some of the people who post here are certifiably retarded.

She smoked them? Did you watch the confirmation hearings?

All she did was packpeddle from her past decisions, make excuses for words that came out of her mouth and basically tell everyone she's not something that she is- which is a judicial activist who doesn't know the law shes supposed to be upholding.

The republicans got on her and challenged her prior decisions. They did not look bad at all, especially since you cant weasel your way out of your own words and your own holdings. She is going to be appointed because of political pandering and she is replacing an equally liberal justice on the court. Therefore, this appointment is of little importance or consequence when looking at the big picture.

I applaud McCain for not doing the politically correct thing and calling this woman out no matter what race she happens to be.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 03:45:33 PM »
LOL now I am convinced some of the people who post here are certifiably retarded.

She smoked them? Did you watch the confirmation hearings?

All she did was packpeddle from her past decisions, make excuses for words that came out of her mouth and basically tell everyone she's not something that she is- which is a judicial activist who doesn't know the law shes supposed to be upholding.

The republicans got on her and challenged her prior decisions. They did not look bad at all, especially since you cant weasel your way out of your own words and your own holdings. She is going to be appointed because of political pandering and she is replacing an equally liberal justice on the court. Therefore, this appointment is of little importance or consequence when looking at the big picture.

I applaud McCain for not doing the politically correct thing and calling this woman out no matter what race she happens to be.

They would have looked smarter if they had actually tried to find out something about her.

The entire thing was sad. Just as sad as when the Dems tried to hound Thomas about some stupid sexual harassment bullshit.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 04:58:31 AM »
exactly

You guys are amazing.  I dont listen to Hannity and no matter how many times I tell you that you refuse to believe me.   

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 07:44:39 AM »
McCain's vote isn't needed anyway.  She is as good as sitting on that bench now.

The Repubs attempt in the hearings were weak and ineffective.  They looked whipped the entire time.  Barely mustering enough strength to even whine. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 08:20:38 AM »
McCain's vote isn't needed anyway.  She is as good as sitting on that bench now.

The Repubs attempt in the hearings were weak and ineffective.  They looked whipped the entire time.  Barely mustering enough strength to even whine. 

Their goal was not to prevent her from being nominated.  That was impossible.  Their goal was to raise the political cost to the Democrats of her being appointed.  They accomplished that.
Y

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 08:28:56 AM »
This is McCain only "no" vote ever on a Supreme Court nominee

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 08:30:26 AM »
This is McCain only "no" vote ever on a Supreme Court nominee

So what??? 

This is the only nominee in my memory who ever rules so stupidly in a case like the Ricci matter.   

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 10:06:21 AM »
Straw you should change your avatar to liberals and dogs. God forbid anyone question a spanish woman who gets most of her decisions reversed and who disfavors white males before she is appointed to the highest court in the country for life. Also, lets not question anything Obama does, Nancy Pelosi says or what Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow broadcast. If you do, your a nazi/ war criminal/ racist/ redneck.

I suppose that if Chara was up for Supreme Court justice, nobody should have said anything either.  ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 12:57:49 PM »
Straw you should change your avatar to liberals and dogs. God forbid anyone question a spanish woman who gets most of her decisions reversed and who disfavors white males before she is appointed to the highest court in the country for life. Also, lets not question anything Obama does, Nancy Pelosi says or what Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow broadcast. If you do, your a nazi/ war criminal/ racist/ redneck.

I suppose that if Chara was up for Supreme Court justice, nobody should have said anything either.  ::)

If you paid attention you'd notice I often criticize Obama, Pelosi, the Dems and even Olberman.

So far, no complaints about Maddow though. 

I don't believe Sotomayor disfavors white males but I'm aware that's a popular talking point.  I can't remember the Repubs bringing up much of anything else

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »
I'm sure you cant remember much of anything. To help refresh your memory I suggest you review some of her speeches, prior holdings ( more than half of which were reversed by the Supreme Court by the way) and the Ct firefighters case for starters.

The republicans were clearly out of line challenging her- They should have just ignored all the evidence and taken her at her word. That would have ensured that the confirmation hearings went quickly and quietly just like when Justice Alito was confirmed  ::)