Author Topic: The denial of steroid use/abuse  (Read 5984 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
The denial of steroid use/abuse
« on: August 12, 2009, 06:29:20 AM »
Why is it that most Pro Bodybuilders like to deny or avoid steroid talk.  It's just not today but even over a decade ago before Bush started his rampage against the juice.  Do they think the average bodybuilder is that naive?  I can see today that some have to lie due to their sponsors but as mentioned well over 10 years ago it was the same way and bodybuilder sponsorship wasn't even close to what it is today.

Is it a legal thing?  Are they just lying to themselves or are they ashamed?

lax

• Getbig IV
Re: The denial of steroid use/abuse
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 06:30:56 AM »
Why is it that most Pro Bodybuilders like to deny or avoid steroid talk.  It's just not today but even over a decade ago before Bush started his rampage against the juice.  Do they think the average bodybuilder is that naive?  I can see today that some have to lie due to their sponsors but as mentioned well over 10 years ago it was the same way and bodybuilder sponsorship wasn't even close to what it is today.

Bush Railed against steroids in 2004=5 years ago

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 06:32:18 AM »
most probably they are ashamed, event the lower tier bodybuilders totaly lie about there use,,,, my most favourite quote, ive been off for months, just had my 1st jab last week!, no one must ever be on...

Schmoe Buster

• Getbig V
  • Unnatural Bodybuilder
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 06:33:36 AM »

Good point, lets ask Chick im sure he would respond with an honest answer question ::)
Thunderdome approved

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 06:39:59 AM »

Legal issues aside, our culture views steroids as a form of cheating.  If you grow up in this culture (as virtually all pros do) then to admit to steroid use is to admit to being a cheater.  Our society does not like cheaters.  So, deny, deny, deny—even when it’s obvious.  And when you do admit, you say things like steroids are only 10% of what you see on stage.  ::)

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 06:55:25 AM »
bodybuilding = drugs

Sir Humphrey

• Getbig IV
  • It's only gay if you want it to be.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 07:00:47 AM »
I am for bodybuilding honestly embracing the hormones side of it. Bodybuilders should be just as comfortable saying they take "1.5 grams test a week" as they are comfortable saying they eat "4 meals a day of rice, chicken, etc"...

Maybe all the different steroid labs can sponsor bodybuilders who actually use their products, so customers can decide which lab they like best by watching a contest?  :P

Also, let's stop saying "steroids are x%" and food and training are this or that percentage, as if they were completely separate things. The interaction between HORMONES AND NUTRITION is a bigger factor than nutrition alone, or drugs alone, or training alone.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 07:03:36 AM »
bodybuilding = drugs

Would anyone look twice at Branch if he were not on steroids?  Remember, he is 5'6".

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 07:03:54 AM »

Whats sickening funny is that the more they abuse steroids, the more they brag about their amazing genetics.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 07:36:35 AM »
it has nothing to do with the criminal aspect of using aas or "cheating".  It's two fold.  First it is psychological for the user.  A person uses aas for bodybuilding for the same reason that they build a body that is no like the regular guy--ATTENTION.  They so desperately crave and NEED attention and validation that they build themselves into cartoons that cry out --"Look at me LOOK AT MEEEEE."  And when they get that attention they need, they don't want the regular guy to know that if they took the same drug regimine that they would look the same as the bodybuilder.  So....they lie.  It helps to reinforce that false image in their heads that they are somehow special.  Secondary to that psychological aspect is monetary.  No company is going to sponsor a guy that admits that he is all drugs.  Otherwise, why would a kid buy the snake oil?  THey'd just buy the aas.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 07:37:32 AM »
Legal issues aside, our culture views steroids as a form of cheating.  If you grow up in this culture (as virtually all pros do) then to admit to steroid use is to admit to being a cheater.  Our society does not like cheaters.  So, deny, deny, deny—even when it’s obvious.  And when you do admit, you say things like steroids are only 10% of what you see on stage.  ::)

Steroids are only 5%* of the equation.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 07:55:35 AM »

So they don't get linked to a pharmacy or pinched by the feds. Common sense.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 08:17:48 AM »
PROBABLY number 1 reason is to not dissapoint there parents,what is there mom going to say to her friends "oh yeah my son uses steroids but we don't care at least he dosen't smoke or drink.

turnerg31

• Getbig III
  • Take that Bitches!
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 08:24:51 AM »
I think a better question is why do we average recreational bodybuilders or plain old Joe's spend so much time and energy concerned with the fact (or assumption) that all bodybuilders are taking drugs.  Shit, how many posts and discussions on this same tired ass subject have been plastered across boards all over the net (for years and years).  Face it, if it were not for these same guys that you sit here and bash most of us wouldn't even waste our time with these forums, websites, magazines, supplements, etc. Come on, give it a rest. Face the facts and move on. It is what it is. The answer to your question is, Pro Bodybuilders decide to avoid the subject because they realized a long time ago the exact thing I just posted.

Pat

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
They deny because they don't use them. Duh.
G

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »

You don't want to look like you got an easy ride, that somehow, there's no merit your efforts if you took them.

Legal issues are also a plus, you wouldn't want the chance to bring unnecessary trouble to yourself.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 10:02:41 AM »
First and foremost, its not "cheating" when everyone is doing it. Is it cheating when a guy uses NOS in Nascar? Its part of the game, get used to it.

Secondly, taking a boat load of steroids will not gaurantee you a good looking body. How many guys do you know take 1000+mgs of stuff and they look like shit? I'm sure you see them in your gym all the time. Steroids are a small percentage of the equation and only enhance the genetics that you as an individual are born with.

Thirdly, it is common sense, folks. Would you want a few feds knocking on your door because the law caught wind of your illegal steroid usage?

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 12:24:18 PM »
I think a better question is why do we average recreational bodybuilders or plain old Joe's spend so much time and energy concerned with the fact (or assumption) that all bodybuilders are taking drugs.  
Pat

Maybe because  steroids are way too $$$$$ and you have to be in denial to spend and spend to win a plastic sword or fruit loops crystal bowl ? Maybe because the whole "industry" is a joke? or cause you have to risk your health to get a "pro" card? or simply Because the before and after drug use "Look"  is a bit shocking? or you might use the wrong' or fake' drug to try to look like your Pro bber idol but yet no one would tell you what to really use? or Maybe because this is  a Bodybuilding forum? I dont know, the questions can go on and on

BTW, I dont think all bodybuilders are on drugs...(just the pro's)

WOOOSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 12:46:38 PM »
It's funny when pros say their health ailment was due to a predisposed genetic condition and not steroids.  Well if they had a predisposition to a health ailment, why the fuck would they aggravate it by abusing steroids?  ???
Bodybuilding Pro.com

nicky.smth

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Hugo Chavez looks like hugo chavez
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 12:48:07 PM »
First and foremost, its not "cheating" when everyone is doing it. Is it cheating when a guy uses NOS in Nascar? Its part of the game, get used to it.

Secondly, taking a boat load of steroids will not gaurantee you a good looking body. How many guys do you know take 1000+mgs of stuff and they look like shit?

Thirdly, it is common sense, folks. Would you want a few feds knocking on your door because the law caught wind of your illegal steroid usage?

Yes, kamali, keiko, need i go on?

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 01:01:01 PM »

See...this is one thing I take issue with. You wanna do your drugs, fine. But these guys NEVER, EVER give the drugs their due. I've said this before.....I'll say it again, the Steroid drug dealer must be one of the most thankless jobs out there.

Just like "natural", to these guys is a lower dose. And don't get me started on those fuckers who claim to have "scripts".
HAHA, RON.....

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 01:05:17 PM »

True

Secondly, taking a boat load of steroids will not gaurantee you a good looking body. How many guys do you know take 1000+mgs of stuff and they look like shit? I'm sure you see them in your gym all the time. Steroids are a small percentage of the equation and only enhance the genetics that you as an individual are born with.

Also true.

Good posts.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 01:10:52 PM »

Please. It's not thieving if everybody else is stealing.... ::) See how silly that sounds?

I agree with you there. But the reality is...you still get some sort of results, that you WOULD NOT HAVE achieved naturally (strength, mass, et cetera).

Common sense says to me....if it's something you can't talk about, you probably shouldn't be doing it. Then you add the whole "illegal" thing to it......with our actions, come consequences. If you are worried about getting busted, don't do drugs. Again, common sense.
HAHA, RON.....

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 01:16:09 PM »
Lets take out the obvious....legalities.

That aside, pro's don't openly discuss this topic because it's a non issue. They are all on equal ground (level playing field), and find it insulting that people lacking knowledge in the field, would so callously give so much credit to drugs with total disregard to the amount of work that goes into competing at the pro level. Steroids don't give you better gentics, a smaller waist, better proportions (actually ruins more than they help)...nor do they do your cardio for you, diet for you, or train twice a day for you...

It's only an issue with those who seem to think it's what seperates them from achieving anything themselves...

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 01:18:46 PM »
How many guys do you know take 1000+mgs of stuff and they look like shit? I'm sure you see them in your gym all the time. Steroids are a small percentage of the equation and only enhance the genetics that you as an individual are born with.

They would look even shittier if they didn't use. That last sentence you would have to prove somehow...