Author Topic: I just laid off 8 people today....  (Read 5741 times)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: I just laid off 8 people today....
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 02:03:01 PM »
Hopefully your friend didn't live above his means before with a high house payment, etc., which would make it that much harder to get by after that salary disappears.  People making decent money these days are best to scale down their lifestyles in case the worst happens.

When money was consistent, he bought a 2800 square foot house with a 5% mortgage, interest-only. Now his interest rate adjusts in a year and he's unemployed. Meanwhile his home has depreciated some 40% in value in the last fours years. Brand new home, too! He's not against the idea letting the house foreclose since his home is steadily becoming less of an investment as time goes on.

I hope he can get back on his feet. He's a smart, talented guy but it's tough to get hired anywhere now. I had another buddy get laid off from his marketing gig a few months back and he's collecting unemployment now. He speaks three languages and has a master's degree in business advertising, Now, he's jobless with a four year old daughter.

Life is tough these days for a lot of people.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 02:06:29 PM »
Yes and of course the two folks from California have probably been in their jobs less than 9 months, have few to no friends or family in town and their lives have just been completely trashed.  I'm sure management "justified" the pregnant lady's firing with some ultra-lame reason, but in actuality her impending maternity leave was the issue....who has money to pay her to sit at home and breastfeed when the company needs every dollar to help fuel growth through the remainder of the recession? 

Wiggs I know you're just relaying a message on behalf of management and that it isn't personal (the greatest crock of shit saying within the rat race LOL), but I absolutely hate that HR role.  Yeah, I know "it comes with the territory", "it's just part of the job"....I also know there's the flipside when you get to call someone and lay a job offer on them and they're soooo excited, but regardless I have no desire for any HR or managerial role in my career.....the bad simply outweighs the good for me.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 02:15:38 PM »
  Damn...

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 04:41:53 PM »
Why do you all of a sudden hate me wiggs? :(

There is a VERY LONG LINE of people who feel that way toward you Swede...do a litle soul searching for the answer.
C

spinnis

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 04:44:08 PM »
There is a VERY LONG LINE of people who feel that way toward you Swede...do a litle soul searching for the answer.

well I actually semi like wiggs, I couldn't give a flying fuck if you for example hated me or not..

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2009, 04:47:25 PM »
well I actually semi like wiggs, I couldn't give a flying fuck if you for example hated me or not..

i like you swede

:D

spinnis

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2009, 04:57:39 PM »

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 05:03:51 PM »
Discuss...

I love HR but this is a part of the job I hate.  There were some good people.  Hopefully they recover.
Two came from Cali for their jobs and one is 5 months pregnant.  The look in their eyes when you lay it on them is unforgettable.

Americans cherish your positions.
HNIC :-X

blackbillions

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 05:18:29 PM »
Discuss...

I love HR but this is a part of the job I hate.  There were some good people.  Hopefully they recover.
Two came from Cali for their jobs and one is 5 months pregnant.  The look in their eyes when you lay it on them is unforgettable.

how do u go about deciding who to keep and who to fire?

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2009, 05:21:05 PM »
how do u go about deciding who to keep and who to fire?
skin color  :D

I kid.
follow the arrows

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2009, 05:22:33 PM »
When money was consistent, he bought a 2800 square foot house with a 5% mortgage, interest-only. Now his interest rate adjusts in a year and he's unemployed. Meanwhile his home has depreciated some 40% in value in the last fours years. Brand new home, too! He's not against the idea letting the house foreclose since his home is steadily becoming less of an investment as time goes on.

I hope he can get back on his feet. He's a smart, talented guy but it's tough to get hired anywhere now. I had another buddy get laid off from his marketing gig a few months back and he's collecting unemployment now. He speaks three languages and has a master's degree in business advertising, Now, he's jobless with a four year old daughter.

Life is tough these days for a lot of people.

Yes just being smart doesn't cut it there can be luck involved. I work a part-time shiftwork job while setting up a business, good to have. In the past they have advertised for 12 positions and got maybe 40 applicants. Recently they got 450. It's getting hard to even get a look in.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2009, 05:39:19 PM »
I know a few teachers (my former profession) who bought houses 2-3 years ago.  One paid 245k for a house that's now worth 95,000.  Another had her house appraised 3 years ago, was worth 170k, now it's worth 79,000.  Just so sad to see an area drop like that.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2009, 05:48:07 PM »
Discuss...

Didn't you just get this job after a layoff? So you know how it feels. I believe when you say how much you hate this kind of thing. BTW, how long were you out of work and how long have you been at this current position? It can't be more than 6 months.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 06:28:47 PM »
I know a few teachers (my former profession) who bought houses 2-3 years ago.  One paid 245k for a house that's now worth 95,000.  Another had her house appraised 3 years ago, was worth 170k, now it's worth 79,000.  Just so sad to see an area drop like that.

Florida has an absolutely atrocious housing market right now. When home values drop like that, what is the incentive for homeowners to keep their home and not let it foreclose? If you plan on being in the home for rest of your life then that's one thing. But for the younger homeowners who can't sell because they owe more on the mortgage than the home by up to 40% or more?? How many years would it take to make your money back? The housing market hasn't even bottomed out in America yet so you might be waiting for over a decade before you can recoup your equity. You could get laid off during that stretch of time.

If this shit keeps getting worse it might be time to board up the windows and get the shotgun ready.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2009, 09:07:14 PM »
I thought the recession was over?

It never even hit here. Our housing market is strong. Jobs are plentiful and businesses are growing, including my own.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2009, 09:18:24 PM »
the army is hiring

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2009, 10:21:20 PM »

I don't know why but some of the commentary on this thread was really fucking funny.

I read in the middle of trying to take a shit and everytime I laughed it would pop back in and I'd have to retry over again!

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2009, 10:43:10 PM »
Cīmon you think we cant figure out that you laid the pregnant woman off because you are the father of her baby? And the others had to go because they knew about it. Hopefully you gave them some cash under the table so they wont tell your wife. Otherwise this could spell trouble.  :-\
MIRAGETROPIN

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2009, 11:03:27 PM »
you didn't laid anyone off, your boss did.
Trying being the boss and firing people. That is harder.  ;)
A

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2009, 11:15:12 PM »
the army is hiring

Only if you are under 27 years of age...

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2009, 11:16:19 PM »
i like you swede

:D

I liked him until he started getting uppity about his girlfriend. Now he's just a hobbit to me

WeiB

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • I needed some time out from Dubai, India.
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2009, 11:22:09 PM »
This will help us relate better to wiggs and his confrontations at work.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2009, 11:31:11 PM »
Didn't you just get this job after a layoff? So you know how it feels. I believe when you say how much you hate this kind of thing. BTW, how long were you out of work and how long have you been at this current position? It can't be more than 6 months.

STFU with your negativity.  We're trying to keep this thread positive.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2009, 11:54:37 PM »
Yes and of course the two folks from California have probably been in their jobs less than 9 months, have few to no friends or family in town and their lives have just been completely trashed.  I'm sure management "justified" the pregnant lady's firing with some ultra-lame reason, but in actuality her impending maternity leave was the issue....who has money to pay her to sit at home and breastfeed when the company needs every dollar to help fuel growth through the remainder of the recession

Wiggs I know you're just relaying a message on behalf of management and that it isn't personal (the greatest crock of shit saying within the rat race LOL), but I absolutely hate that HR role.  Yeah, I know "it comes with the territory", "it's just part of the job"....I also know there's the flipside when you get to call someone and lay a job offer on them and they're soooo excited, but regardless I have no desire for any HR or managerial role in my career.....the bad simply outweighs the good for me.

I wouldn't hire a woman for this exact reason.  It sucks to say but that's the truth.  Why should an employer get stung because an employee gets pregnant?  It's a perfect example of a law which is designed to help someone having the opposite effect in practice.  Women's rights groups should be fighting disincentives like this.

And a fat woman might have hid the pregnancy better.  So now we're encouraging women to get fat and pregnant and freeload.  Ridiculous state of affairs!

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2009, 02:01:20 AM »
Did they try to show verbal support for Team Kai as a final attempt to keep their jobs?