Author Topic: I need a program for running  (Read 3855 times)

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
I need a program for running
« on: August 14, 2009, 03:46:21 PM »
I am trying to get in shape for MMA and have been working on my cardio big time but I just don't make progress running. I am losing fat pretty fast but I still cannot run for sh*t! Sprints are ok but nothing for distance. Idealy I would like to be able to run at least 4-5 miles without stopping at a rate of about 9mph (this would be 9.0 on the treadmill). That is my goal. Please somebody give me a good routine to get there asap. I am willing to work HARD to get there, but have no direction. Lifitng I am good at and dieting, but i have no clue how to run or what tactics to use.

Army of One

• Getbig V
Re: I need a program for running
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 03:47:17 PM »
MMA, oh brother, just what we need is another stone faced warrior  ::)

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 03:48:53 PM »
maybe a running forum would help?
X

phemonmmill32

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 03:54:14 PM »
find some literature by tudor bompa online or in the library.. most dI track programs still utilize his training philosphy  / regimen.. I know LSU's program and Texas A&M's program do and they are two of the most successful in collegiate history

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 03:57:13 PM »
MMA= beer drinkers according to PBF

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 04:01:37 PM »
find some literature by tudor bompa online or in the library.. most dI track programs still utilize his training philosphy  / regimen.. I know LSU's program and Texas A&M's program do and they are two of the most successful in collegiate history

I found his site, but sadly am a bit too poor to fork over 90 bucks for a program. Anything free online I can scope?

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 04:03:02 PM »
get a library book the price is right
X

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 04:06:59 PM »
get a library book the price is right

Not a bad idea. Any suggestions?

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 04:08:54 PM »
Its not fucking rocket science, just run 3-4 days a week and increase by half a mile a week to avoid injury.After a few weeks increase to 5 days a week, its running for christ sake, youve been doing it since you were 2.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 04:11:55 PM »
u just gotta keep doing it
 and keep going when u feel like stopping
w

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 04:14:19 PM »
when i was preparing for my boxing match I would do sprinting sessions twice a week and a long jog once a week.

A sprinting session would usually consist of sprinting 100 metres then jogging 100 metres then repeating.
For example

Spring, jog, spring, jog..................100 0 metres in total
5 sets

(obviously the distance and sets will vary accodring to the current stage you're currently at)

When i did this my stamina went through the roof in terms of gains, its extremly hard but the fight will be alot easier if you implement this routine.
Trust me; you dont need to jog 10 miles to gain stamina. Same with workouts in the MMA gym, no need to go 10 sloppy rounds when you can go 5 hard ones. Remember intensity is the key.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 04:18:55 PM »
when i was preparing for my boxing match I would do sprinting sessions twice a week and a long jog once a week.

A sprinting session would usually consist of sprinting 100 metres then jogging 100 metres then repeating.
For example

Spring, jog, spring, jog..................100 0 metres in total
5 sets

(obviously the distance and sets will vary accodring to the current stage you're currently at)

When i did this my stamina went through the roof in terms of gains, its extremly hard but the fight will be alot easier if you implement this routine.
Trust me; you dont need to jog 10 miles to gain stamina. Same with workouts in the MMA gym, no need to go 10 sloppy rounds when you can go 5 hard ones. Remember intensity is the key.

Ok so If I hit the gym today after back and abs I want to run. Based on what you are recommending I'm thinking of hitting wind sprints for 25 minutes, then stretching, then 25 minutes of what jogging? Or should I run? Run but not sprint. Also would using the sauna be beneficial? Im thinking sweating some water out before I run will help as It will cut some water weight. I retain a fair amount of water just a natural thing.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 04:25:50 PM »
Its not fucking rocket science, just run 3-4 days a week and increase by half a mile a week to avoid injury.After a few weeks increase to 5 days a week, its running for christ sake, youve been doing it since you were 2.

lol.  why does everyone think there is a secret to even the most simple task?

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 06:16:40 PM »
Ok so If I hit the gym today after back and abs I want to run. Based on what you are recommending I'm thinking of hitting wind sprints for 25 minutes, then stretching, then 25 minutes of what jogging? Or should I run? Run but not sprint. Also would using the sauna be beneficial? Im thinking sweating some water out before I run will help as It will cut some water weight. I retain a fair amount of water just a natural thing.

wind sprints?

You shouldnt do this workout i recommended after a weightlifting session simplpy because you wont have enough enerygy, if you really want to get in shape you should do it on a seperate day all together.

Just do sprints and fast jogs, mix it up....dont get too scientific, if you're struggling to breathe then obviously you are going to be better next time around. Btw I never did it on a treadmil, i did it on my local park at night usually when nobody was there.
Fuck the sauna, whats the point when ur going to drink back the fluids anyway?

A sauna is only neccessary if on fightnight you havent made the weight and you need to sweat the weight off

Another routine is this:

Find a 400m track

Sprint around it, then rest for 30-50 seconds then sprint again. Do that as many times as you can and time yourself.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 06:17:49 PM »
d

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 06:21:47 PM »
I am trying to get in shape for MMA and have been working on my cardio big time but I just don't make progress running. I am losing fat pretty fast but I still cannot run for sh*t! Sprints are ok but nothing for distance. Idealy I would like to be able to run at least 4-5 miles without stopping at a rate of about 9mph (this would be 9.0 on the treadmill). That is my goal. Please somebody give me a good routine to get there asap. I am willing to work HARD to get there, but have no direction. Lifitng I am good at and dieting, but i have no clue how to run or what tactics to use.

That would give you a sub 3 hour marathon.  I don't think you should make that your goal.  Be realistic
No Worries 4 me

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 06:29:45 PM »
Running works.
G

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 06:40:03 PM »

dude...I admire your determination....but running at 9.0 on the treadmill for four or five miles is impossible unless you are a professional runner....at that speed you won't even make one mile//try 5.0 instead...then you'll have a chance..you are trying to bite off more than you or anyone can chew

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 06:41:12 PM »
Running works.

dude, no need to post pics of yourself that you use at swingers forums.
Deep Tissue Massage

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 06:48:53 PM »

dude...I admire your determination....but running at 9.0 on the treadmill for four or five miles is impossible unless you are a professional runner....at that speed you won't even make one mile//try 5.0 instead...then you'll have a chance..you are trying to bite off more than you or anyone can chew

plus youll burn up all your muscle.

Guys with lots of muscle do low-intensity cardio. 

I like to run for 4-5 minutes at 6 or 7 mph, but then it's back to slow pace.  Otherwise I get scrawny and abs come out, a sure sign i'm doing something wrong.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 07:09:33 PM »
This is an article I've had on my computer for years.  While it's not exactly what you're looking for, there's a lot of good information so you could structure your own plan.

http://www.endurancetraining.com.au/Articles/Half%20Marathon%20Training%20Program.pdf
:

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 07:15:37 PM »
nike plus
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 07:17:52 PM »
if the goal is to be thick and strong and have great endurance then yes RUN but you must consume A LOT OF Calories everyday to at best partially recover from day to day/consecutive every day running. You will be gradually consuming more and more food naturally to grow into and adapt it will take a few months of this EVERYDAY RUNNING  to be really good
A

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 09:53:12 PM »
if youre training for MMA...train for MMA. Running is only one facet of cardio endurance.....spar 3 minute rounds and work your way into sparring for multiple 5 minute rounds

try other things like wind sprints/ hill runs
jumping rope for rounds
swimming