Author Topic: been working out for 5 months, now what kind of routine?  (Read 999 times)

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
been working out for 5 months, now what kind of routine?
« on: August 16, 2009, 07:09:16 PM »
hi everyone! just started working out again after not for a couple of years, right now just completed 5 solid months of monday, wednesday, friday full body workouts changing the exercises for each bodypart each month, so now after 5 months equaling 60 workouts how should i proceed next.

(background info: 44 years old, around 220-225 pounds, about 18 to 20 percent bodyfat ( i know too damn high!lol!) hoping to like everyone else gain muscle mass and keep the bodyfat to a minimum. perhaps someday get to 240 pounds and get that bodyfat down to hopefully close to 10 percent? taking pre-work out protein and carbs, drinking glutamine and bcaa's during workout, taking a post workout protein and carbs and taking a multi=vitamin, a pro-hormone, some e.f.a., some joint repair, and a slow acting protein right before bed, in between trying to eat roughly 600 calories 6 times a day and protein grams around 225-250 or so. anyway, back to the workout suggestions:

i'm thinking a monday, tuesday, thursday, friday routine for the next 6 months to 1 year, however, for your experts it seems that nowadays from everywhere i read this routine only requires you to workout a bodypart once a week? i remember routines of monday,tuesday, thursday and friday where you workout each bodypart twice? like chest, shoulders, triceps on monday and thursday and then back, biceps and legs on tuesday and friday?

are these 4 days a week, work each bodypart twice now no longer used? it just seems to be that after only 5 months i need to continue working out each bodypart more than once a week? yes or no?

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Re: been working out for 5 months, now what kind of routine?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 07:36:28 PM »
It's hard to recommend the best routine as everyone responds differently to training. Some people respond well to training each bodypart twice per week, other, myself included, nearly always train only using splits where each body part is hit only once a week.

Either way, the program i always recommend is push/legs/pull. mon-wed-fri is best if you can. Simple routine that doesn't go too overboard. Allows you to just stick to the basics and go reasonably heavy.

But that being said, if you want to do a 4 day slpit, go for it. Try it for a few months and see how it goes. Maybe throw in a few cardio sessions post workout a few times a week. If you want to get a bit leaner, drop the cals a bit.
No doubt about it...

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 07:37:12 PM »
more is not better, and at your age i wouldnt recomend what you outlined at all. your putting to much emphasis on multiple training sessions. just hammer smash the fuck out it the first time and dont worry about it. what you outlined is overtraining, this isnt rocket science so keep it simple.

this is what i do

monday:chest and tris

flat bech 10-12 sets
incline machine 4 sets

on flat bench start out with just the bar and add a little weight at a time. incline machine just throw on as much weight as you can and blast the fuck out of it.

cable rope
cable pushdowns
ez bar extensions

do the tris dorian yates style

tuesday: back and bis

rows 4 -10 sets
pulldowns 6 sets
cable rows 3 sets

i do this just like i do chest

bis
bb curls
db curls

do em dorian yates style

wed:shoulder

seated or standing bb preses in front and behind the neck 5-6 sets
upright rows 4 sets
behind the back smith shrugs 3 sets

thurs.legs

squats or legpress 8-12 sets
hammy curls 4 sets

bench

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 08:00:52 PM »
hi everyone! just started working out again after not for a couple of years, right now just completed 5 solid months of monday, wednesday, friday full body workouts changing the exercises for each bodypart each month, so now after 5 months equaling 60 workouts how should i proceed next.

(background info: 44 years old, around 220-225 pounds, about 18 to 20 percent bodyfat ( i know too damn high!lol!) hoping to like everyone else gain muscle mass and keep the bodyfat to a minimum. perhaps someday get to 240 pounds and get that bodyfat down to hopefully close to 10 percent? taking pre-work out protein and carbs, drinking glutamine and bcaa's during workout, taking a post workout protein and carbs and taking a multi=vitamin, a pro-hormone, some e.f.a., some joint repair, and a slow acting protein right before bed, in between trying to eat roughly 600 calories 6 times a day and protein grams around 225-250 or so. anyway, back to the workout suggestions:

i'm thinking a monday, tuesday, thursday, friday routine for the next 6 months to 1 year, however, for your experts it seems that nowadays from everywhere i read this routine only requires you to workout a bodypart once a week? i remember routines of monday,tuesday, thursday and friday where you workout each bodypart twice? like chest, shoulders, triceps on monday and thursday and then back, biceps and legs on tuesday and friday?

are these 4 days a week, work each bodypart twice now no longer used? it just seems to be that after only 5 months i need to continue working out each bodypart more than once a week? yes or no?
I use a mon, Tue, Thurs, Fri routine and it works great

Monday=leg day
Tues=shoulders
Thursday=back/bicep
Friday=chest/tricep
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 08:05:12 PM »
I use a mon, Tue, Thurs, Fri routine and it works great

Monday=leg day
Tues=shoulders
Thursday=back/bicep
Friday=chest/tricep
haha you do my same routine.......but in reverse!!!!!!

bench

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 08:09:29 PM »
haha you do my same routine.......but in reverse!!!!!!

bench
;D

Always hit legs on Monday just to get it over with.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 08:13:52 PM »
;D

Always hit legs on Monday just to get it over with.
i do it at the end of the week cause it takes me so long to recover ;D

bench