Author Topic: tri range of motion  (Read 1091 times)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
tri range of motion
« on: August 21, 2009, 12:14:07 PM »
U sually my range of motion for tri pressdowns.. is frgroin to just below nipple level today i tried taking tjhe range of motion past nipple level all the way up to my face.. I actually felt the movement more in my tris...
any thoughts on this...
what rom do you use?
choice is an illusion

JasonH

• Getbig V
Re: tri range of motion
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 12:45:52 PM »
I use a pretty short range of motion - I feel that works best for me.

I don't lock out at the bottom - keep the pressure on the tris at all times and when I bring up the bar I have it pretty much at upper ab level.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 02:46:23 PM »
With a rope and an overhead pulley you can stretch your triceps maximally if you face away from the pulley. Pull the cable down from over your head and down towards the floor.

If you choose to use a heavy weight, you can use the weight of your body to assist in forced reps.

If you haven't done these before, you will be sore the next day-- more than likely from the extreme stretch. I guess I feel pretty good about an increased ROM in this particular exercise.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 10:30:29 AM »
im not really a big fan of faceing away from the stack as one tends to use... a lot of bodyweight to help
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 10:36:41 AM »
With a rope and an overhead pulley you can stretch your triceps maximally if you face away from the pulley. Pull the cable down from over your head and down towards the floor.

If you choose to use a heavy weight, you can use the weight of your body to assist in forced reps.

If you haven't done these before, you will be sore the next day-- more than likely from the extreme stretch. I guess I feel pretty good about an increased ROM in this particular exercise.

This is the way i do it, the stretch and resistance curve are better facing away. I do a variation that's uncommon, bent over farther so that the torso is almost parallel to the floor, it hits the meat of the tris better.

As far as cheating i find it's not a problem to do them strict then at the end of the set to use a little body english to get those last few reps.

On pushdowns or any dip motion including bench dips and dip machine i find that just doing the bottom part of the ROM is much better both in terms of hitting the muscle and in avoiding injuries that are more likely doing full ROM and bending the arm more. Bertil Fox and some others used/use the same idea.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »
Didn't bertil use to come up all the way when doing pressdowns that's what I saw when I saw his vid
choice is an illusion

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 10:23:49 PM »
This is the way i do it, the stretch and resistance curve are better facing away. I do a variation that's uncommon, bent over farther so that the torso is almost parallel to the floor, it hits the meat of the tris better.

As far as cheating i find it's not a problem to do them strict then at the end of the set to use a little body english to get those last few reps.

On pushdowns or any dip motion including bench dips and dip machine i find that just doing the bottom part of the ROM is much better both in terms of hitting the muscle and in avoiding injuries that are more likely doing full ROM and bending the arm more. Bertil Fox and some others used/use the same idea.

Ditto. I guess I should have elaborated. I start off with a moderate to light weight and get the blood going. I have fantastic ROM in the delts, so the reachover works out well. I may lock out or do half reps at the bottom just for some extra contractile stuff, but i really dont like to do that to the elbows and take the tension of the tris. It defeats my purpose for this particular exercise.

When I start to exhaust and want to add some meat to the bone, I just ad the stack (or a good portion of it) and contract the tris- then I slowly allow my UB to come close to the floor until I put a leg out. I will usually have one of my legs poised and ready. By that time they will be fully contracting- and burning.

All I know is, they work for me, especially after dips with a weight belt. Done deal- I am getting older, and they are still growing.

I'm not juicing currently and my arms are a tight 18"- pretty cool being that I'll be 47 in October and I only stand 5'5". Makes me wanna rethink the juicy juice. Bodyfat needs to come down a few more %- no hurries, no worries... lettin em grow.