Author Topic: If you train 3 days per week, what your workout split will be like?  (Read 8017 times)

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
mine was:

1) chest – biceps - hams - forearms ..
2) back – traps - quads - abs..
3) shoulders – triceps – calves – abs..

then i have recently changed it (because back with quads was hell) to be:

1) chest – front/side shoulders – triceps – abs..
2) back – rear shoulders- biceps- forearms..
3) quads – hams – calves – traps - abs..

Bodybuddha

• Getbig II
  • Building mind and body !
Re: If you train 3 days per week, what your workout split will be like?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 09:36:46 AM »
Looking at your routine i feel the 2nd way is much better if you have low recovery ability and/or want to stay in proportion.

However the first routine hits the bi/tri's + delts twice a week - a great routine to improve those bodyparts.

Looking at your pictures i feel you already have great arms so the 2nd routine will keep your balance and flowing physique as you grow.

I wish you well.
Enlightenment expert

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 12:05:38 PM »
Looking at your routine i feel the 2nd way is much better if you have low recovery ability and/or want to stay in proportion.

However the first routine hits the bi/tri's + delts twice a week - a great routine to improve those bodyparts.

Looking at your pictures i feel you already have great arms so the 2nd routine will keep your balance and flowing physique as you grow.

I wish you well.

many thx bro. it's really very rare to find a polite guy like you here ;D

actually in both routines i train each body part only once a week, the first was ok with me at the beginning of the year because i was not training my quads seriously (just some leg extension) then when I decided to train them seriously as I had been few years ago and added squats, leg press.. etc it was really exhausting on the same day of training my back and this was why I changed to my 2nd routine.. actually so far I so much like my new routine, I thought it would be hard to train side/front shoulders and triceps after chest but it’s ok and bearable..

thx again my friend..

Bodybuddha

• Getbig II
  • Building mind and body !
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 12:21:04 PM »
many thx bro. it's really very rare to find a polite guy like you here ;D

actually in both routines i train each body part only once a week, the first was ok with me at the beginning of the year because i was not training my quads seriously (just some leg extension) then when I decided to train them seriously as I had been few years ago and added squats, leg press.. etc it was really exhausting on the same day of training my back and this was why I changed to my 2nd routine.. actually so far I so much like my new routine, I thought it would be hard to train side/front shoulders and triceps after chest but it’s ok and bearable..

thx again my friend..

thank you for your kind words.

what i meant by saying you hit arms and shoulders twice a week was that you indirectly hit them twice a week on the first routine.

as working the chest also works the front delt and tri's unless you are isolating it, same with rows and pulldowns working the bi's and rear delts.

then you hit shoulders and tri's directly at the end of the week.

but as i said you already look very balanced, in fact from the pictures i saw of you on another thread while competing you look like you have outstanding bodybuilding genetics. Did you win that show ? you looked fantastic ? will you compete again?
Enlightenment expert

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 06:57:11 PM »
chest-shoulders-triceps

back-biceps-hamstrings-rear delts

quads-calves-abs

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 07:00:22 PM »
chest-shoulders-triceps

back-biceps-hamstrings-rear delts

quads-calves-abs

what about traps, do you consider them as a part in the back as a whole?

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 07:04:57 PM »
thank you for your kind words.

what i meant by saying you hit arms and shoulders twice a week was that you indirectly hit them twice a week on the first routine.

as working the chest also works the front delt and tri's unless you are isolating it, same with rows and pulldowns working the bi's and rear delts.

then you hit shoulders and tri's directly at the end of the week.

but as i said you already look very balanced, in fact from the pictures i saw of you on another thread while competing you look like you have outstanding bodybuilding genetics. Did you win that show ? you looked fantastic ? will you compete again?

oh ya i got your point and yes you are right!!.. i may return again to the first routine after some months.. change is always good and avoids you from being bored..

yes i won that contest but it was the contest of my gym, nothing big ;D.. thx again bro.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 07:07:51 PM »
i dont train traps outside of the work they get from doing back work.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 07:36:51 PM »
1) Full body
2) Full body
3) Full body + finger extensions

or maybe:

1) Chest, delts, tris, calves
2) Quads, hams, calves, forearms
3) Back, traps, bis, abs, rear delts, calves

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 12:35:55 AM »
1) Full body
2) Full body
3) Full body + finger extensions

or maybe:

1) Chest, delts, tris, calves
2) Quads, hams, calves, forearms
3) Back, traps, bis, abs, rear delts, calves

i am sure you have a problem with your calves ;)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 07:30:38 AM »
i am sure you have a problem with your calves ;)

I guess my calves are genetically decent . I've always done a "hit and miss" with them over the years. I decided this year to hit em about 2-4 times a week. I am 5'6". My Bodyweight is 199lbs. my arms are 18", my neck is like 20" and my calves are just under 17".... I would like to get em up to around 18" if possible.

I used to do the real heavy stuff once or twice a week, but I am doing much higher reps with moderately heavy weight. Call it experimentation. I know that usually more is NOT better, but when I see the fatties with huge calves, I have to wonder if their calves are the exception.

Is it making a difference?

The jury is still out.

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 10:57:22 AM »
I guess my calves are genetically decent . I've always done a "hit and miss" with them over the years. I decided this year to hit em about 2-4 times a week. I am 5'6". My Bodyweight is 199lbs. my arms are 18", my neck is like 20" and my calves are just under 17".... I would like to get em up to around 18" if possible.

I used to do the real heavy stuff once or twice a week, but I am doing much higher reps with moderately heavy weight. Call it experimentation. I know that usually more is NOT better, but when I see the fatties with huge calves, I have to wonder if their calves are the exception.

Is it making a difference?

The jury is still out.

i read before somewhere that calves and arms should be the same size in a well balanced body,.. but i am not so sure if this is really right!!

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 12:25:35 PM »

you focus on your personal weak points. they can be hit during deadlift, bench

i only work out with weights 3-4 times a week, but i focus on strength.

squats - monday
bench - wednesday
dead lift - friday
bench for speed/presses - saturday

cardio on the days in between ::)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 03:26:38 PM »
i read before somewhere that calves and arms should be the same size in a well balanced body,.. but i am not so sure if this is really right!!

Well, I know that it doesnt look right in the mirror. My neck being so big makes my arms look smaller. My calves being smaller than my arms makes them look smaller than they really are.

I don't care if my arms never get over 18"-- as long as my waist has no love handles or backfat, I'm O.K.

I'm too old to juicy juice much more than HRT allows.

Right now, If I could get my calves up a bit more, I would look more symmetrical. I don't think I have unrealistic goals, so I'm pushing them calves pretty hard.

I remember it was said in the days of Steve Reeves that the "ideal" symmetrical proportions were something like 17" neck, 18" arms, 18" calves, 32" waist...

I also remember reading years later where it was said that your quads should be as large as your waist (or larger)

Who knows? I just try to be brutally honest with myself when I look in the mirror.

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 04:38:15 AM »
Well, I know that it doesnt look right in the mirror. My neck being so big makes my arms look smaller. My calves being smaller than my arms makes them look smaller than they really are.

I don't care if my arms never get over 18"-- as long as my waist has no love handles or backfat, I'm O.K.

I'm too old to juicy juice much more than HRT allows.

Right now, If I could get my calves up a bit more, I would look more symmetrical. I don't think I have unrealistic goals, so I'm pushing them calves pretty hard.

I remember it was said in the days of Steve Reeves that the "ideal" symmetrical proportions were something like 17" neck, 18" arms, 18" calves, 32" waist...

I also remember reading years later where it was said that your quads should be as large as your waist (or larger)

Who knows? I just try to be brutally honest with myself when I look in the mirror.

i believe 32'' waist is too much for someone whose arm is 18''!!..

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 07:41:18 AM »
i believe 32'' waist is too much for someone whose arm is 18''!!..

Really?

I don't know many peeps with a waist smaller than 32. I suppose a 32" waist requires a 20" arm...

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 07:58:05 AM »
Really?

I don't know many peeps with a waist smaller than 32. I suppose a 32" waist requires a 20" arm...

my waist is smaller then 32'' but my arm is 17'' or may be a 16.8'' ;D

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 10:48:35 AM »
I found a website that listed Steve Reeve's "ideal" measurements.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson207.htm

Scroll all the way down (get past the little kid --WTF????) and you can find Steve's 'ideal' proportions and there are also some pretty cool calculators. I'm on par with some of them, but I think my head is too big already.. ;D

you can put in your joint measurements (non-smokeable) and get the corresponding proportion. Surely it's all entirely subjective to body type and uhhhhh.... "chemical enhancement"-- nonetheless, it's a great little distraction for a few minutes.

Oh yeah, gotta have a cloth tape measure too.  :P

my measurements currently:

I am 5'6" and 196.5 lbs.

My arms are 18"

Legs 28"

waist 33" (damn!)

Neck 19"

Calves 17"

Bodyfat is around 12%

I'm screwed, blued and tattooed.  :'(

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 12:12:44 PM »
I like:

Week 1
Monday - upper body
Wednesday - lower body
Friday - upper body

Week 2
Monday - lower body
Wednesday - upper body
Friday - lower body

Rinse, repeat.

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 01:58:49 PM »
Im just getting back into lifting after a year off, fucking depressing shit, but right now im training only 3 days a week, but im doing full-body workouts BUT.......with very light weights and high reps(20-30)

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 03:40:06 PM »
Im just getting back into lifting after a year off, fucking depressing shit, but right now im training only 3 days a week, but im doing full-body workouts BUT.......with very light weights and high reps(20-30)

i dont like this way at all.. even when i return to training after a long stop i divide my body from the first day,.. i just go light with fewer number of sets..

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 04:09:39 PM »
chest,off,back,off,legs,off.
DAWG

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »
I'd go with the second choice, since you're grouping bodyparts that are easily worked together with compounds. This reduces the number of exercises needed in the workout.
follow the arrows

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 11:14:10 PM »
I'd go with the second choice, since you're grouping bodyparts that are easily worked together with compounds. This reduces the number of exercises needed in the workout.

yes after going with this second choice for a while now i really like it.. in the past i thought it would be very hard to train shoulders and triceps after chest but it's really very good.. yesterday i trained at home but i did it the other way just for a change, i started with side/front shoulders then triceps then ended the workout with chest!!.. this was good too.. any change in the workout makes it more interesting!!..

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 07:23:55 PM »
Lower - Quad Focus
Off
Upper - Push Focus
Off
Full Body - Pull Focus
Off
Off

Rinse & repeat to massdom.....