Author Topic: been working out for 5 months, now what as far as routines?  (Read 920 times)

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
been working out for 5 months, now what as far as routines?
« on: August 24, 2009, 11:19:42 AM »
hi everyone! been doing the monday,wednesday and friday full body workout routines for 5 months,changing up exercises each month, now i'm ready to go harder and more complex routines, how should i proceed? my current workout is on monday,wednesday and friday as follows:

1)smith machines squats: 3 x 10
2)smith machine stiff leg deads: 3 x 10
3)flat bench dumbbell presses: 3 x10
4)incline dumbbell presses: 3 x 10
5)dumbbell upright rows: 3 x 10
6) smith machine bent over rows: 3 x 10
7) barbell curls: 3 x 10
8) concentration dumbbell curls: 3 x 10
9) tricep pulldowns with rope: 3 x 10
10)tricep pulldowns with bar: 3 x 10 was doing skull crunchers but they hurt the elbows
11)calf raises on the machine: feet pointed straight, then out to the side and then pointed inwards: 1 set of each with 20 reps.

cardio on tues,thurs, and saturday (start off with 5 to 10 minutes of stair climbing, and then either treadmill, elliptical or bike.

anyway, like everyone else trying to gain muscle mass and size and keep the bodyfat at bay. so please you experts advice me on what my next routines for the next year or so should be!

45 years old, 5'10 around 225 pounds, bodyfat around 18 to 20 (yikes!)

thanks so much in advance for the serious replies and suggestions!

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
Re: been working out for 5 months, now what as far as routines?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 05:42:11 PM »
hi everyone! been doing the monday,wednesday and friday full body workout routines for 5 months,changing up exercises each month, now i'm ready to go harder and more complex routines, how should i proceed? my current workout is on monday,wednesday and friday as follows:

1)smith machines squats: 3 x 10
2)smith machine stiff leg deads: 3 x 10
3)flat bench dumbbell presses: 3 x10
4)incline dumbbell presses: 3 x 10
5)dumbbell upright rows: 3 x 10
6) smith machine bent over rows: 3 x 10
7) barbell curls: 3 x 10
8) concentration dumbbell curls: 3 x 10
9) tricep pulldowns with rope: 3 x 10
10)tricep pulldowns with bar: 3 x 10 was doing skull crunchers but they hurt the elbows
11)calf raises on the machine: feet pointed straight, then out to the side and then pointed inwards: 1 set of each with 20 reps.

cardio on tues,thurs, and saturday (start off with 5 to 10 minutes of stair climbing, and then either treadmill, elliptical or bike.

anyway, like everyone else trying to gain muscle mass and size and keep the bodyfat at bay. so please you experts advice me on what my next routines for the next year or so should be!

45 years old, 5'10 around 225 pounds, bodyfat around 18 to 20 (yikes!)

thanks so much in advance for the serious replies and suggestions!

Just out of curiosity, why are you Smith'ing the stiff legged deads and rows ???

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 03:12:01 PM »
i guess i'm chicken shitting the smith machine rows and stiff legs! lol! just worried to hell, i'm going to tear, strain and basically fuck up the back or hammies especially being i'm a newbie! but i did just recently buy a belt, so perhaps this will give me some more support and confidence to do this stuff free, not machine?!

of course, doing some core stuff to strengthen the back in the first place.

what about my routine otherwise right now? and what about my next routine? any suggestions!

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:36:57 PM »
i guess i'm chicken shitting the smith machine rows and stiff legs! lol! just worried to hell, i'm going to tear, strain and basically fuck up the back or hammies especially being i'm a newbie! but i did just recently buy a belt, so perhaps this will give me some more support and confidence to do this stuff free, not machine?

Listen man, can the belt, unless you decide to use it for max DL- or squat-attempts.  Work your way up slowly with the barbell.  You'll get a much better workout and recruit more muscles/muscle groups.  Mastering form is the most important thing of all when you're starting out.  Even if you have to start out with just the bar and then move up from there, do it.  MASTER that form, and stick to it, and 99.999% chance you won't get injured, unless you have spina bifida ;D

Good luck, bro.  Keep us posted on your workouts. 8)