Author Topic: Open appendectomy. Recovery time?  (Read 15920 times)

Nate

• Getbig II
Open appendectomy. Recovery time?
« on: September 02, 2009, 10:44:07 AM »
I had an open appendectomy 9 days ago and I'm wondering how long it has taken others to get back to lifting after this kind of injury. I feel fine for the most part. Only thing that hurts is when I sneeze (feels like my guts are about to explode out of my incision. Not pleasant.).

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Re: Open appendectomy. Recovery time?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 02:49:49 PM »
Sorry I don't know about getting back to lifting after an app...did you have an emergency appendectomy?  My Aunt had one but she was never a lifter...in fact I don't think she ever has exercised in her life and she doesn't have cellulite ::)

But if I remember correctly we mowed her lawn for a few months after her surgery because she wasn't supposed to.  Be patient and heal up and get well soon! :)
R

Nate

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 04:37:05 PM »
Yeah it was an emergency appendectomy. It was perforated so it was open and not laparoscopic. When I asked the surgeon how soon I could work out again he wouldn't give me a straight answer and instead said "just don't do anything that hurts".  I don't think he was used to having patients who are as active as I am (or was until two weeks ago)  :(

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 07:36:06 PM »
Yeah it was an emergency appendectomy. It was perforated so it was open and not laparoscopic. When I asked the surgeon how soon I could work out again he wouldn't give me a straight answer and instead said "just don't do anything that hurts".  I don't think he was used to having patients who are as active as I am (or was until two weeks ago)  :(

Nate, you may want to trying typing: emergency appendectomy recovery exercise (or training) into your search engine.  I'm finding stuff like 4-6 weeks to begin exercising again but not specifically heavy weight training.  I'd say obviously start back light when you do but maybe doing some google type searches will help you out some.  Don't push it ...healing can take a little time  :)

Oh, also if you have a sports clinic around there maybe give them a call and ask their opinion?
R

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 03:03:36 AM »
I don't know exactly but after having my gall bladder removed via latro...it was about 2.5 weeks before I could lift (I did light cardio for a week before that though). & about another 2.5 weeks before I could train abs - because they really had to go digging around in there (almost had to open me up). Anyway, I'd guess you'll probably have to wait 5-6 weeks. Why not call your doctor or surgeon?

Psychophysio

• Getbig III
  • Worthless
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 01:11:14 AM »
wait until your wound heals completely before you do anything too strenuous. Mine took 8 weeks to fully heal up and it was 12 weeks before I felt anything like normal. Mine had perforated as well and I did get a wound infection too. Try and start with a bit of core strenthening work because they cut through your abdominals. If it hurts, don't do it!
The jungle of the senses.

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 02:08:01 AM »
wait until your wound heals completely before you do anything too strenuous. Mine took 8 weeks to fully heal up and it was 12 weeks before I felt anything like normal. Mine had perforated as well and I did get a wound infection too. Try and start with a bit of core strenthening work because they cut through your abdominals. If it hurts, don't do it!

X2.  Since they had to cut through your ab wall, you really don't want to push it

jerseymuscles113

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 12:20:43 PM »
i had mine removed the same way 2 weeks ago tomorrow....my surgeon said no heavy liftin for 4-6 weeks i've been runnin 2miles eD for the part an i'm planning on starting back lifting within a week at most my biggest problem is i've had no appetite at all!!....has anyone else actually had this done? also i'm sure it must be helping i've been cruisin on 250mgs of test ew for 3weeks now