Author Topic: Machine workouts  (Read 7587 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Machine workouts
« on: September 03, 2009, 11:33:21 AM »
While a combo of machines and weights is probably better in general, sometimes machines are clearly better. All depends on the design, some machines suck some are great there's no general rule.

The unfounded, unsupported BS theory that is propogated by some about the need for stabilizer muscles... I use and endorse these machines 100%.  ;)

http://www.blip.tv/file/2549648 

wild willie

• Getbig V
Re: Free weights vs machines
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 12:41:28 PM »
I personally enjoy using dbs over barbells for equal workloads on both sides of the body. I also like hammer strength equipment. Not all pieces though. I do like the incline, high row, one arm row, shoulder press, shrug, deadlift and wide grip press. Flex equipment is pretty decent too. I don't care for the newer hammer equipment that has the new weight stacks with the pin selector. Just a better feel for me regarding the plate loaded hammer equipment.

I think both machines and free weights are very equal. I am certainly not one of these guys that tells you that you aren't working hard unless you only use free weights. That is a load of garbage...... IMHO

Reign Down

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • http://www.sickipedia.org/
Re: Machine workouts
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 02:57:10 AM »
It depends totally on the machine, as you say some are better, some are worse.

Hopefully as people with brains, we can draw our own conclusions.

I have used those machines too and I do agree they are excellent, unlike some of the form on the first set of rows.

ta ta
Ta ta nerds!

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 04:37:49 AM »
machines are great, most of us with a good training history would struggle with out them, ideal for working around injuries etc

weve just got the incline hammer in our gym, and ive found i can press with a narrow grip with no pain at all, im over the moon!

splinterhands

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 12:01:40 PM »
  Flex equipment is pretty decent too.

The "fitness center" I work out at has Flex and most of it seems pretty effective.  I haven't used any machines for several years but the more I use them, the more I like them. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 09:35:36 PM »
i love how my posts get deleted by a mod who doesnt want people to know i guess that he "endorses" bowflexes along with every other machine i guess??? ::) ::)

I've never denied it, because i'm more open minded on using anythng that works than most. Just as gh15 has discussed eastern european BBs using them and other things.

What's fun to watch is your ongoing obsession both with moi and with bowflex...i have a feeling you want one lol

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 03:43:46 AM »
Machines are great because sometimes I can still go to the gym when I am sore and lazy and still get a good workout....this way I don't have to lug dumbbells and barbells around....and somedays I just circuit train to get an overall pump in my entire body and that is great as well..

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 09:21:59 AM »
I've never denied it, because i'm more open minded on using anythng that works than most. Just as gh15 has discussed eastern european BBs using them and other things.

What's fun to watch is your ongoing obsession both with moi and with bowflex...i have a feeling you want one lol

to tell you no bullshit i have been thinking about getting one and i dont have an obsession with you i just wanted you to address the fact that youve been deleting my posts and i didnt know why but thats niehter here nor there about the bowflex...they are a pretty solid machine but i was also wondering how many other machines do you endorse?? and being tat said you endorsing them does that mean you use them on a regular basis?.....just wondering.....

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 11:28:05 AM »
to tell you no bullshit i have been thinking about getting one and i dont have an obsession with you i just wanted you to address the fact that youve been deleting my posts and i didnt know why but thats niehter here nor there about the bowflex...they are a pretty solid machine but i was also wondering how many other machines do you endorse?? and being tat said you endorsing them does that mean you use them on a regular basis?.....just wondering.....

Calm down little one, you have a big-time hardon for me..start posting about training don't worry about me lol

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 12:00:13 AM »
While a combo of machines and weights is probably better in general, sometimes machines are clearly better. All depends on the design, some machines suck some are great there's no general rule.

The unfounded, unsupported BS theory that is propogated by some about the need for stabilizer muscles... I use and endorse these machines 100%.  ;)

http://www.blip.tv/file/2549648 

Machines = no to little function

If you want to look pretty, train on machines, if you want to be an athlete, stay away from machines.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 12:02:01 AM »

If you want to look pretty, train on machines, if you want to be an athlete, stay away from machines.

Meh, you're trying to change the essence of the thread to athletics. This is a BB board and the thread isn't about athletic application.

Machines can do alot more than pretty. Great for power and machines are widely used for various sports training and have plenty of function in some cases if not as good as weights in others.

The truth is they're both great and sometimes not so great in different contexts.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 12:34:32 AM »
Meh, you're trying to change the essence of the thread to athletics. This is a BB board and the thread isn't about athletic application.

Machines can do alot more than pretty. Great for power and machines are widely used for various sports training and have plenty of function in some cases if not as good as weights in others.

The truth is they're both great and sometimes not so great in different contexts.

No, you mentioned that machines work stabilizers when in actuality they isolate. I don't care what sports use machines.........you can't really stabilize on something that is designed for isolation.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 01:43:54 AM »
No, you mentioned that machines work stabilizers when in actuality they isolate. I don't care what sports use machines.........you can't really stabilize on something that is designed for isolation.

Nope, NEVER said they work stabilizers. What i've said from day one is that they don't work stabilizers as much but that stabilizers don't necessarily mean much in BB training, it's an unproven factor in growing muscles or even in getting stronger.

The main advantage with exercises that work stabilizers is real-world application in sports, nothing to do with BB, ie athletic pursuits, but even there the advantage can be overblown as many free weight exercises only approximate real-world functionality.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 05:33:03 PM »
use both machines and free weights. they are tools and the main focus should be (if you are trying to add mass) finding exercises in which you can safely progressively get stronger at.

squats can be a great exercise but they arent a must. some people can never get squats to work and get more out of leg presses. etc etc

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 10:09:41 PM »
machines are great, most of us with a good training history would struggle with out them, ideal for working around injuries etc

weve just got the incline hammer in our gym, and ive found i can press with a narrow grip with no pain at all, im over the moon!
agreed with a hurt lower back im still able to hit my back pretty decent and still go pretty heavy for me.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 10:18:46 PM »
I personally enjoy using dbs over barbells for equal workloads on both sides of the body. I also like hammer strength equipment. Not all pieces though. I do like the incline, high row, one arm row, shoulder press, shrug, deadlift and wide grip press. Flex equipment is pretty decent too. I don't care for the newer hammer equipment that has the new weight stacks with the pin selector. Just a better feel for me regarding the plate loaded hammer equipment.

I think both machines and free weights are very equal. I am certainly not one of these guys that tells you that you aren't working hard unless you only use free weights. That is a load of garbage...... IMHO

X2

They suck compared to the old ones. they have a rubbery feel to the resistance and the motion isn't as natural.

I give them an EPIC FAIL

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 10:23:03 PM »

that's a bunch of horseshit.  look in any NFL, NBA or MLB training room and you will find PLENTY of machines being used by THE BEST ATHLETES IN THE WORLD

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 02:36:42 PM »
I use machines twice a week in the beginning of the week for strength training......just don't feel like picking up heavy barbells and dumbbells sometimes....so I train with the machines just trying to lift as much as I can and get to the bottom of the rack on each machine..then later in the week I lift the barbells and dumbbells..I have seen a good increase in strength....I seem to get lean muscle mass with the machines and I get really big using the regular weights

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 02:44:46 PM »
Pumpster was a great poster... pip

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 11:34:27 AM »
Hammer Strength and Icarian both put out fantastic equipment. IMHO

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 01:52:58 PM »
Pumpster was a great poster... pip

what happened to pumpster?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 08:52:48 AM »
Pumpster is now the greeter at the Black Water,Arizona Wal-Marts, in the mornings. His other job is security guard at the used BowFlex scrap yard. When reaching 65 years of age he really wanted to finally get serious about his career.That was 10 years ago. Pumpster is living his dream now.

Also does gigs at little kids birthday party's on any free weekend he may have.  He is "Pump Me UP...Blow My Stem" Happy The  Clown. Some of those arrest warrants for him are still outstanding I believe.

He comes around GB from time to time. As well as other BB'ing sites. Though using different handles. Hope this helps.
F

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 10:06:41 PM »
Pumpster is now the greeter at the Black Water,Arizona Wal-Marts, in the mornings. His other job is security guard at the used BowFlex scrap yard. When reaching 65 years of age he really wanted to finally get serious about his career.That was 10 years ago. Pumpster is living his dream now.

Also does gigs at little kids birthday party's on any free weekend he may have.  He is "Pump Me UP...Blow My Stem" Happy The  Clown. Some of those arrest warrants for him are still outstanding I believe.

He comes around GB from time to time. As well as other BB'ing sites. Though using different handles. Hope this helps.

really funny..thanks!! ;D

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
I like DB's the most, but machines have there uses also.
P

tallgerman

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • I love myself a lot.
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 02:03:46 AM »
proably all about volume anyhow

body does know if its machine pushup or barbell