Author Topic: newbie question: do step climbers help build leg mass?  (Read 2140 times)

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
newbie question: do step climbers help build leg mass?
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:15:14 PM »
just wondering, if using the step climber for my cardio if it also helps build leg size?

was using it for 20 of my 30 minutes 3 times a week cardio (finishing the other 10 minutes using incline walking on treadmill, or the stationary bike or the elliptical)

noticed i was not only getting a great cardio workout but it seems my legs were gaining definition. however, due to years of playing sports i've always had leg definition, however no leg size or lot of mass, so far i've haven't however....

noticed any mass or extra size in the legs which is what i'm actually striving for. so...

don't know if i should actually cut out the step climber because it doesn't build leg mass and is too much/hard on the legs with not enough rest the day after leg day or.....

if the problem is i'm not eating enough and that actually step climbers do indeed not only give you a great cardio workout, and help build leg definition, but in time will/does increase leg size/mass?

usually go hard for 5 to 10 minutes,( dial at 8 to 10 speed) then slow it down the rest of the time at dial at 5 speed.

thanks in advance for the replies?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: newbie question: do step climbers help build leg mass?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:42:17 AM »
Interesting question that i've asked myself. Don't have a definitive answer but do have some thoughts based on daily use of stepmills and steppers:

-Running hills or stairs will build some size, especially if done quickly or if carrying a little extra resistance.

-The stepmill i use daily, even a little more demanding than steppers and the original - unsure whether it will build but at the very least it's gonna add cuts for sure and is the very best cardio most have access to in a gym, works the legs more intensely. Will maintain what size there is there along with refining, minimum.

-As far as actually building from that, it's possible but it would take someone actually doing that exclusively for a period of time to know for sure-it's similar to but not the same as actually climbing stairs.

-As far as interfering with leg recovery, i agree that could happen so order the weekly weight/cardio each week to allow a little rest in between. Some rest is good but don't go overboard as the legs can take a lot. Or change to something else, but anything involving lower body is still going to involve legs to some degree though not quite as much. Coleman has a stepmill at home, from that and my own experience i think it's a plus to use and benefit from it you don't mind that it's a little more demanding than some other alternatives (but also more beneficial).

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:52:36 AM »
Interesting question that i've asked myself. Don't have a definitive answer but do have some thoughts based on daily use of stepmills and steppers:

-Running hills or stairs will build some size, especially if done quickly or if carrying a little extra resistance.

-The stepmill i use daily, even a little more demanding than steppers and the original - unsure whether it will build but at the very least it's gonna add cuts for sure and is the very best cardio most have access to in a gym, works the legs more intensely. Will maintain what size there is there along with refining, minimum.

-As far as actually building from that, it's possible but it would take someone actually doing that exclusively for a period of time to know for sure-it's similar to but not the same as actually climbing stairs.

-As far as interfering with leg recovery, i agree that could happen so order the weekly weight/cardio each week to allow a little rest in between. Some rest is good but don't go overboard as the legs can take a lot. Or change to something else, but anything involving lower body is still going to involve legs to some degree though not quite as much. Coleman has a stepmill at home, from that and my own experience i think it's a plus to use and benefit from it you don't mind that it's a little more demanding than some other alternatives (but also more beneficial).

two questions along those lines...one do you think that the stepmill is better than an eliptical for cardio...and also what kind of rest between cardio days and leg days....i know my legs get sore but dont stay sore for long which is testament to what you said about them taking alot but i enjoy doing cardio the same day as legs i have been finishing my leg workout drinking my post w/o shake then go for a light jog or fast paced walk do you think that is counterproductive?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 12:43:55 PM »
two questions along those lines...one do you think that the stepmill is better than an eliptical for cardio...and also what kind of rest between cardio days and leg days....i know my legs get sore but dont stay sore for long which is testament to what you said about them taking alot but i enjoy doing cardio the same day as legs i have been finishing my leg workout drinking my post w/o shake then go for a light jog or fast paced walk do you think that is counterproductive?

I do think the stepmill is better but you have to consider both effectiveness and appeal-the elilpitical is still fairly good, and if like many people it's easier and appeals more to use daily, then that's the one to use. Stepmills in the 80s then steppers in the early 90s were the preferred cardio for many but most have abandoned them because ellipticals seem easier and less harsh on the joints while still getting a good workout. Choose the one that you'll use more if they both seem effective.

On rest days you'd have to try different periods of time and see what you're comfortable with, i think unless there's still some soreness they can be used on consecutive days given that legs seem to be able to take more work.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 05:34:01 AM »
I do think the stepmill is better but you have to consider both effectiveness and appeal-the elilpitical is still fairly good, and if like many people it's easier and appeals more to use daily, then that's the one to use. Stepmills in the 80s then steppers in the early 90s were the preferred cardio for many but most have abandoned them because ellipticals seem easier and less harsh on the joints while still getting a good workout. Choose the one that you'll use more if they both seem effective.

On rest days you'd have to try different periods of time and see what you're comfortable with, i think unless there's still some soreness they can be used on consecutive days given that legs seem to be able to take more work.

when i was in the military i would mainly use the eliptical and the treadmill or track...i hate running cause it hurts my knees but i had to for PT...one other thing that i loved but didnt use a whole lot was the rowing machine which i think is the best for cardio and really it can be a workout...and i know that just cause there isnt any soreness doesnt mean that the muscle is in a position to be worked again but thats how i treat it...

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 09:24:18 AM »
the stair master has been a god send for my leg training, with my knee problems theres times where i dont do any direct leg training at all, and it seems to keep some size and shape to them...

got to add, pre contest there a must, i went from smooth legged at a qualifier ( then gym purchased stair mill) to having 100% better legs 6 weeks later at the finals, using it 45mins per night

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 10:14:55 AM »
when i was in the military i would mainly use the eliptical and the treadmill or track...i hate running cause it hurts my knees but i had to for PT...one other thing that i loved but didnt use a whole lot was the rowing machine which i think is the best for cardio and really it can be a workout...and i know that just cause there isnt any soreness doesnt mean that the muscle is in a position to be worked again but thats how i treat it...

Never see much use of the rowng machines but it's one of the best of all.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 10:16:02 AM »
the stair master has been a god send for my leg training, with my knee problems theres times where i dont do any direct leg training at all, and it seems to keep some size and shape to them...

got to add, pre contest there a must, i went from smooth legged at a qualifier ( then gym purchased stair mill) to having 100% better legs 6 weeks later at the finals, using it 45mins per night

That's what i'm thinking, maintains size, improves cuts plus is about the best cardio machine most gyms have if you can stand it.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 11:06:11 AM »
Never see much use of the rowng machines but it's one of the best of all.

i think honestly that the rowing machines are the most physically taxing overall and i think thats why alot of people dont use them....my next job is not to far from a couple of gyms so im hoping ill be able to frequent one for the duration of my job (around 2 months) and ill def get on a stepper and see how it does...

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 11:24:57 AM »
i think honestly that the rowing machines are the most physically taxing overall and i think thats why alot of people dont use them....my next job is not to far from a couple of gyms so im hoping ill be able to frequent one for the duration of my job (around 2 months) and ill def get on a stepper and see how it does...

They're great, i would use them every day if there was one in my gym. Rowers have some of the best physiques you'll see anywhere.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 11:28:25 AM »
They're great, i would use them every day if there was one in my gym. Rowers have some of the best physiques you'll see anywhere.

i guess itd depend on what body style you considered the best id def agree with they are usually some of the best conditioned overall.....a couple of guys i played junior hockey with used to row for their crew team at whatever school and it seemed they were always in better shape then those of us that played anything else...

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 11:37:02 AM »

i guess itd depend on what body style you considered the best id def agree with they are usually some of the best conditioned overall.....a couple of guys i played junior hockey with used to row for their crew team at whatever school and it seemed they were always in better shape then those of us that played anything else...

Conditioning but also the physiques. Top rowers often have the wide shoulders and lats, good arms, etc.