Author Topic: Why did Arnold compete in the 1980 Olympia?  (Read 34123 times)

efirkey

• Getbig IV
Why did Arnold compete in the 1980 Olympia?
« on: May 09, 2005, 03:54:31 PM »
???
He seems like he had a lot to lose and not much to gain.

Rob1986

Re: Why did Arnold compete in the 1980 Olympia?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 03:56:39 PM »
was for a movie... "the comeback" i think.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 03:56:54 PM »
his video "total rebuild" was the one of the most boring videos i have ever seen.
follow the arrows

efirkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 04:10:31 PM »
it was pretty boring.

I wonder if the olympia was before "Conan" was released.  Was he second guessing his future in films and he wanted to stay in the body building scene as a backup.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 05:31:09 PM »
because he knew the contest was fixed in his favor... :-X :P ;)
Flower Boy Ran Away

Slick Vic

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 07:52:10 PM »
his video "total rebuild" was the one of the most boring videos i have ever seen.
Hell. I must be the only one who really enjoyed it.  :-\

619Rules

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 08:21:50 PM »
No oneknows for sure, but Frank Zane had won the Olympia in 79 and Arnold was doing the TV coverage/reporting. After Zane won Arnold asked him how it felt to have won the show for a third time in a row and Zane replied" Almost as good as when I beat you at the Universe". Zane said that this humiliated Arnold on national TV and that was his inspiration to compete in 1980.

BTW-the videos.... "The Comeback" was made by the shows promoter-and Arnolds best friend in Austraila Paul Graham. I is a well known fact Arnold was booed off the stage at this show-which is why the show was such a contraversy-and when Paul made the video he cut out the booes and replaced them with laughter. There is actually a guy here on getbig from down under that was at the 80 O, and he really had a lot to say on it-this was a while back though.

Paxil Rose

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 08:20:38 AM »
I discussed this ( myself ) with Arnold. He told me that there were several factors which led to his stepping back on stage.

1) Dino DeLarentus ( the movies producer ) mentioned it would be good publicity for the up coming movie.

2) Mike Mentzer's public denouncing of Arnold and his training methods were a major factor. To quote Arnold " Mentzer needs to know his place."

3) The comments Frank made to Bob Beatty on ABC's Wide World of Sports after his 3rd Olympia victory rubbed Arnold the wrong way. It was then decided that Frank needed to be taught a lesson.

619Rules

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 08:56:08 AM »
I discussed this ( myself ) with Arnold. He told me that there were several factors which led to his stepping back on stage.

1) Dino DeLarentus ( the movies producer ) mentioned it would be good publicity for the up coming movie.

2) Mike Mentzer's public denouncing of Arnold and his training methods were a major factor. To quote Arnold " Mentzer needs to know his place."

3) The comments Frank made to Bob Beatty on ABC's Wide World of Sports after his 3rd Olympia victory rubbed Arnold the wrong way. It was then decided that Frank needed to be taught a lesson.
We are sure this was straight from Arnold's mouth-I can tell by the way you falsley stated Frank made comments to Bob Beatty-the comment was only one-and it was made to Arnold.

Since Conan debted over 2 years after the 1980 Olympia-there is NO way the publicity could have affected the movie anymore than the 1975 competition could have.

Rome

• Getbig IV
  • Pics or GTFO!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 08:56:57 AM »

4 he KNEW the fix was in so he only needed to come in looking good enough to do a movie. ;) There is no way Ahnold shoulda won that show.

SlyIzLegend

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 08:58:18 AM »
619 they all know the damn truth. Mentzer looked superior that day; end of story

Paxil Rose

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 11:51:24 AM »
We are sure this was straight from Arnold's mouth-I can tell by the way you falsley stated Frank made comments to Bob Beatty-the comment was only one-and it was made to Arnold.

Since Conan debted over 2 years after the 1980 Olympia-there is NO way the publicity could have affected the movie anymore than the 1975 competition could have.

First of all assclown, I'm talking about Arnold Fewer, my next door neighbor and training partner. And ( hey we all know your old school and the man ) I have a 1 1/14 inch ( first generation ) VCR tape from 1979 of Frank Zane on the Wide World of Sports airing of the 1979 Mr. Olympia contest making the comment. Bob interview Frank all three years the moment he walked through the curtains after his win. I have all three tapes. It was aired in November of that year ( never re-broadcast like the 77 & 78 Olympia ) and is some of the only video out there. Check GMV.

You saying it was made first hand, shows exactly how little we can now trust any " statement of fact " you make. With respect to when the film was released, that means FUUCK ALL, IT'S A FACT!

By the way, this system does have a spell check.

Your out of your league in this area, son.

The Beef Curtain. 

And oh yeah if you want the particulars of these statements just PM me so you don't make a fool of yourself on the main board. FUUCKEN DICK!

Paxil Rose

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 12:00:05 PM »
I can't fuucken believe that 619 is trying to come across as having first hand knowledge of a comment made between Frank and Arnold. It was aired on television.

You've been busted, you no longer cut ice. BITCH!

THE BEEF CURTAIN

denvmuscle

• Getbig III
  • Ronny Rockel ROCKS!
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 12:35:05 PM »
For publicity and because Arnold was being made out to be the "girly man" that he truly is by Mike Mentzer.   Mike Mentzer may have been "put in his place" by the judges but anyone who looks at any video or pics of the 1980 Olympia knows who the REAL winner was.

Mike Mentzer RIP.  We love ya buddy.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 12:47:43 PM »
???
He seems like he had a lot to lose and not much to gain.
He wanted to beat Yates.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

619Rules

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 12:55:13 PM »
I can't fuucken believe that 619 is trying to come across as having first hand knowledge of a comment made between Frank and Arnold. It was aired on television.

You've been busted, you no longer cut ice. b***h!

THE BEEF CURTAIN
You are a stupid idiot. The comment Zane made was to ARNOLD-who was covering the 1979 Mr O as a TV color man-did you watch TV or not bozo?

Conan came out in>>> JUNE 1982...JUNE 1982....one more time bozo..JUNE 1982.....so your little fable about competing for movie publicity is just that-a figment of your imagination.

What-do you make this shit up as you go along or what?

You need to stop making up BS and get a clue. You have been busted BoZo-end of story.

Schools in ;D

619Rules

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 01:02:25 PM »
First of all assclown, I'm talking about Arnold Fewer, my next door neighbor and training partner. And ( hey we all know your old school and the man ) I have a 1 1/14 inch ( first generation ) VCR tape from 1979 of Frank Zane on the Wide World of Sports airing of the 1979 Mr. Olympia contest making the comment. Bob interview Frank all three years the moment he walked through the curtains after his win. I have all three tapes. It was aired in November of that year ( never re-broadcast like the 77 & 78 Olympia ) and is some of the only video out there. Check GMV.

You saying it was made first hand, shows exactly how little we can now trust any " statement of fact " you make. With respect to when the film was released, that means FUUCK ALL, IT'S A FACT!

By the way, this system does have a spell check.

Your out of your league in this area, son.

The Beef Curtain. 

And oh yeah if you want the particulars of these statements just PM me so you don't make a fool of yourself on the main board. FUUCKEN DICK!

Ohhh....you wernt talking about Arnold S, but your next door neighbor( I guess that explains why you are such a bozo).

>>>Bob interview Frank all three years<<<

Bob INTERVIEW FRANK????? WTF....

try proof reading assclown-it is INTERVIEWS>>>S<<<<<see the S there.....did you ever graduate from school? We do have spell check here on Getbig.

Oh Yeah-if you want more schooling just PM me so you don't make an even bigger ass of yourself (as you already have).

What about BS statement of Arnold competing for movie PUBLCITY-schooled you again-funny how you dance around that one-caught in another one of your lies......

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 06:58:30 PM »
I can remember when the results of the 1980 Mr Olympia where announced on the news on tv. It was more like..............." Arnold Schwarzenegger has won the Mr Olympia title after unexpectingly entering the contest in blah blah blah.........." something like that.
   I beleive he did enter to kick Mentzers ass which he did and would have done so with or with out the judges help, Mentzer could never beat Arnold in competition just would never happen, he did not have the genetics to win.
    I also beleive he did it for self promotion for movies. I can remember well at this time all the talk of Arnold, this big austrian who was going to take over as the new action star in hollywood.  I allready knew of him years before as a bodybuilder, I lived in California.THis win served many purposes for Arnold and was just one more way for him to get more recognition of name for the movies.
    He did not need the money or have to "fall" back into compitition to survive. He was a self made millionaire before he was world famous as a movie star. I think he actually owned one half block of buildings in downtown Santa Monica at the time of the Olympia(that alone was worth millions) ;)
h

brianX

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 09:41:42 PM »
Everyone knows that Boyer Coe should've won.

Paxil Rose

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 11:44:03 PM »
Ohhh....you wernt talking about Arnold S, but your next door neighbor( I guess that explains why you are such a bozo).

>>>Bob interview Frank all three years<<<

Bob INTERVIEW FRANK????? WTF....

try proof reading assclown-it is INTERVIEWS>>>S<<<<<see the S there.....did you ever graduate from school? We do have spell check here on Getbig.

Oh Yeah-if you want more schooling just PM me so you don't make an even bigger ass of yourself (as you already have).

What about BS statement of Arnold competing for movie PUBLCITY-schooled you again-funny how you dance around that one-caught in another one of your lies......

Hey dick head, Bob Beatty was the color commentator for ABC's Wide World of Sports for years and did all of their bodybuilding coverage. He's the one in the pic interviewing  Arnold after the 70 Mr. World ( I'll post it later for you, son .)

Each year the WWS covered the Olympia ( 77, 78, 79 ) just as Frank came off stage Beatty with Arnold by his side ( on camera ) interviewed Frank about his win. He did so in 79 and the comment was made. I HAVE IT ON TAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With respect to the Arnold reference in my initial post, it was done " in cheek. " It was making sport of those who cling to their 15 min by saying they saw this ( Podda setting fire to himself or I trained with this guy,. etc. ) How the fuuck would I know Schwarzenegger? I don't train with Danny Padilla in Rochester ( right, ~f~)

GROW UP SON AND ADMIT YOU'VE BEEN EXPOSED.

THE BEEF CURTAIN.

619Rules

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2005, 12:10:48 AM »
Hey dick head, Bob Beatty was the color commentator for ABC's Wide World of Sports for years and did all of their bodybuilding coverage. He's the one in the pic interviewing  Arnold after the 70 Mr. World ( I'll post it later for you, son .)

Each year the WWS covered the Olympia ( 77, 78, 79 ) just as Frank came off stage Beatty with Arnold by his side ( on camera ) interviewed Frank about his win. He did so in 79 and the comment was made. I HAVE IT ON TAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With respect to the Arnold reference in my initial post, it was done " in cheek. " It was making sport of those who cling to their 15 min by saying they saw this ( Podda setting fire to himself or I trained with this guy,. etc. ) How the fuuck would I know Schwarzenegger? I don't train with Danny Padilla in Rochester ( right, ~f~)

GROW UP SON AND ADMIT YOU'VE BEEN EXPOSED.

THE BEEF CURTAIN.
You have to be the biggest Dick Head idiot on here-really. I owned your sorry ass, but you don't seem to get it do you junior.

Arnold was a commentator for the 1979 O, and Arnold interviewed Zane-I dont give a shit who you have on tape-that is a fact Bozo! You bought some BS tape that might show some things-but if Arnold is not interviewing Zane then it is not the whole package dipshit. But-if you bought the GMV video then you know everything-NOT!

What happened to Arnold entering the O  for Conan publicity-you seem to just forget about that on every post after I schooled you there too.

So JUNIOR, listen, I don't have all year to school your stupid ass-maybe you should stop doing things "in cheek"-like your boyfriend does you in your ass cheek JUNIOR.

NOW GROW UP ASSCLOWN/JUNIOR-YOU HAVE BEEN OWNED-AGAIN!

SlyIzLegend

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2005, 12:13:44 AM »
hahaha, great post  ;D

dodster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2005, 03:04:31 PM »
mentzer had a good body, but come on idiots, his HIT was full o shit and he gay ass was wiped on the floor to prepare the stage for arnie. no one in that era could have touched arnold, except olivia. arnold could beat any bb .  hit user: i grew 1/4 of an inch on my arms in 6 months! i grew 6 inches in my first 6 months, and i used arnies 20 set min per bodypart, 3 x a week.

denvmuscle

• Getbig III
  • Ronny Rockel ROCKS!
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 03:11:48 PM »
mentzer had a good body, but come on idiots, his HIT was full o shit and he gay ass was wiped on the floor to prepare the stage for arnie. no one in that era could have touched arnold, except olivia. arnold could beat any bb .  hit user: i grew 1/4 of an inch on my arms in 6 months! i grew 6 inches in my first 6 months, and i used arnies 20 set min per bodypart, 3 x a week.

1.  HIT is not and was not full of shit- Mentzer body proves it.
2.  Mentzer was not gay.
3.  Mentzer looked better than Arnold in 1980.

dodster

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2005, 03:13:54 PM »
mentzer isnt even in the same league