Author Topic: Why did Arnold compete in the 1980 Olympia?  (Read 34127 times)

619Rules

Re: Why did Arnold compete in the 1980 Olympia?
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2005, 10:11:05 AM »
Last bit of the evidence that i put before you,now let the jury decide. ;D
Hey BEFF guy..did you read this page.....see in there where ARNOLD said ZANE on television that he felt that winning the 1979 Olympia "was almost as good as beating you [Arnold]".............and that was a reason for entering the 1980 O....wow....looks like I spanked YOUR ASS AGAIN.......ka-ching ;D ;D

Wow, I hate being right all the time.....so ass clown-schools STILL IN!

*Dutch*

• Getbig III
  • "Hey, you got rusty fenders on your bicycle!"
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2005, 10:31:12 AM »
Thanks for posting that article crownshep, that is a VERY intertaining read, and illustrates how Arnolds actions at the 80 O were in fact a reaction to others actions of disrespect.

Back then, it sounds like a few people were trying to discredit Arnolds track record, or at least lessen it in some way. That was back before he married a Kennedy, became a Hollywood icon, and went on to become guvnor.

His detractors may have had the ability to question his greatness in 1980, but today those same comments would clearly appear to most as pure jealousy and nothing else. Sounds to me like a lot of men of large physical stature with very fragile egos. Arnold got that observation right as well! 8)
Cancel my subscription to the resurrection.

Paxil Rose

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2005, 02:06:45 AM »
Hey BEFF guy..did you read this page.....see in there where ARNOLD said ZANE on television that he felt that winning the 1979 Olympia "was almost as good as beating you [Arnold]".............and that was a reason for entering the 1980 O....wow....looks like I spanked YOUR ASS AGAIN.......ka-ching ;D ;D

Wow, I hate being right all the time.....so ass clown-schools STILL IN!

I wonder if you have a picture of your Mother . . . I f**ked most of the whores up and down the west coast, you might want to refresh my memory. I could be your Dad. Short of that do not call me son.

Are you for real? Did you read that article? Can you read that article?

Humpty, listen . . . You did have a few things right, you called me donkey dick and I am in fact hung like a horse. You have Arnolds name spelled correctly ( thank God for spell check.) But, beyond that your wrong.

The 80 Olympia was in the fall and Conan opened in the spring on the year ( was it 82, I don't know.) but the time frame between makes little difference. Just Google it, b***h and read away. Look at the article . . . it confirms when Frank and Arnold had the interview/discussion.

My tape is not GMV. It is the feed ( original ) from WWS. IT IS ON TAPE FOOL. IT IS ON TAPE!

Just admit you missed the boat on this one and break out the excersise ball for some old age streaching.

YOU FAILED MY CLASS

I'M DONE WITH YOU.

TBC

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2005, 06:54:45 AM »
The 1980 Mr Olympia was controversial. Yes, people booed when Arnold won but perhaps half the audience cheered him. He is very popular in Australia. I was there for both the prejuding and contest and took several hundred photos, some of which have been published in Ironman and other magazines. I sold my negatives to Robert Nailon and he has sent many in to magazines such as Musclemag. 

I wrote a story about the contest and judging but no one would publish that story. I finally gave the story to Mike Mentzer when I talked to him in 1991 in Golds Venice. He wouldn't have been impressed by my account. The favourite with most Australian fans was Chris Dickerson. After viewing my images it was clear to me that any of the top guys could have won that day. However, in my opinion, Arnold had an edge because of his superior chest and arms.  Besides, he was personal friends with all of the judges. He did write in the Education of a Bodybuilder that he befriends only those who will benefit him in his career or in other ways.

I met Arnold on the victory harbour cruise after the Olympia. Zane, Coe, Mentzer and a few others declined to board the boat. That was a fun time. The day after the contest Arnold came to my gym in Sydney with Franco to be with Franco who was giving a so-called seminar that day.

I had all the judges sheets so know exactly who voted for whom. Perhaps I should rewrite that story and publish it here on Getbig? The main problem resulted from judges awarding too many 20 out of 20 scores during the rounds. The effect was that several men received 20 scores in most rounds. Thus it turned out that only those judges who separated the men actually made a difference. There was a problem because the Australian judge selected couldn't judge because he missed the judges' meeting. I was standing there with Peter McCarthy before the judging and he was unaware that he should have been at the meeting. He was the most respected bodybuilder in Australia in those days and has his vote counted instead of young Brendan Ryan's then Arnold would have come second to Chris Dickerson. I believe Frank was third and Mike fourth. I don't think Mike deserved to win that day.

Gosh, what a lot of interesting theories there are in the minds of bodybuilding fans. Too bad there is so much distortion and misinformation included.

efirkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2005, 07:06:27 AM »
Did Arnold trick the Australian judge into missing the mandatory meeting?  hhmmm.

Please rewrite the story.

619Rules

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2005, 12:41:40 PM »
I wonder if you have a picture of your Mother . . . I f**ked most of the whores up and down the west coast, you might want to refresh my memory. I could be your Dad. Short of that do not call me son.

Are you for real? Did you read that article? Can you read that article?

Humpty, listen . . . You did have a few things right, you called me donkey dick and I am in fact hung like a horse. You have Arnolds name spelled correctly ( thank God for spell check.) But, beyond that your wrong.

The 80 Olympia was in the fall and Conan opened in the spring on the year ( was it 82, I don't know.) but the time frame between makes little difference. Just Google it, b***h and read away. Look at the article . . . it confirms when Frank and Arnold had the interview/discussion.

My tape is not GMV. It is the feed ( original ) from WWS. IT IS ON TAPE FOOL. IT IS ON TAPE!

Just admit you missed the boat on this one and break out the excersise ball for some old age streaching.

YOU FAILED MY CLASS

The BEEFCOCKSUCKER is schooled yet AGAIN.......

Beefcocksucker states that the 1980 O was for "publicity" for Conan....yet when it is clearly pointed out to BEEF guy that Conan did not get released until 1982-more than 2 years after the 1980 O, BEFFCOCKSUCKER says that those 2 years do not make a difference.....emmmmm... ...OK.....DIPSHIT....sch ooled again!..........thats like saying I am going to be doing publicity for a show being filmed in 2015, since the time frame does not matter----you are such a dumbfuck.....

For the record, you are a DONKEY DICK because you are as stupid as an ASS, and that is petty hard.......so BEEF guy.....if you read the article Crownshep posted-if you can read- you would see I am right and you are wrong-as usual.....  nothing new there.

Now I am done with your schooling for today......

Please, check back in again in a day or two if youi need more instruction-OK guy.

School out.

Ausvet

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2005, 10:45:17 PM »
 Vince, I respectfully disagree with your statement about the audience response. The booing went on for a long time - loud and angry. I didn't hear any cheers. If the audience reaction had been 50/50 surely I would've heard some cheering? I happened to be sitting right next to that camera that appears in so many pictures(just behind Joe Weider) As a gesture of proof  - at Franco's seminar he got an Aussie bb to come out the front and then did some chiropractic magic on his back. Franco said 'no cameras'. Remember? My friend had his movie camera and got some shots with Franco's head missing. Just an aside but that same camera man is in Larry Scott's Loaded Guns photo taken in your gym. Woulda been in it too but decided to go home early(Newcastle boys.....now old men)

619Rules

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2005, 11:21:09 PM »
Vince, I respectfully disagree with your statement about the audience response. The booing went on for a long time - loud and angry. I didn't hear any cheers. If the audience reaction had been 50/50 surely I would've heard some cheering? I happened to be sitting right next to that camera that appears in so many pictures(just behind Joe Weider) As a gesture of proof  - at Franco's seminar he got an Aussie bb to come out the front and then did some chiropractic magic on his back. Franco said 'no cameras'. Remember? My friend had his movie camera and got some shots with Franco's head missing. Just an aside but that same camera man is in Larry Scott's Loaded Guns photo taken in your gym. Woulda been in it too but decided to go home early(Newcastle boys.....now old men)

This is exaclty what Ricky Wayne said in his book Muscle Wars-and this is what was widely reported in all the magazines at the time-that Arnold was booed off of the stage.

This is why I think it is so funny when people say that after watching the "Comeback" they only heard cheering and no booing. Then you have to tell them that the shows promoter, and Arnold and Franco's very close friend, Paul Graham, made the "Comeback" and editied out all the booing and replaced them with cheers.

Folks, this topic has been beaten dead-

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2005, 09:00:39 PM »
When Arnold appeared on stage at the judging and in the evening he always was cheered loudly. As I recall it 3 people got loud cheers that night. Arnold, local hero Roger Walker, and perhaps loudest of all for local champion Bev Francis. I was sitting in the middle of the audience and even got a seat next to me for John Balik so he could get the best position for photos. He eagerly traded positions with a fellow from my gym who took his place near the stage.

Anyway, Arnold was initally booed when it was announced that he won. But lots of people cheered, too. I mean, the Aussie audiences are not that rude. Many would have felt Arnold deserved to win. I personally was surprised to hear that so many bodybuilders were supporting Chris Dickerson. Truth be told it was a very close contest. Arnold's reputation and size helped him win. Plus his relationships with all the judges. Arnold was Bendan Ryan's hero. Arnold knew Mits Kowashima well in Hawaii, and so on. Arnold did seminars and guest posing for most of the judges. In those days the IFBB selected judges from the loyal Weider agents around the world. Not what I would call fair. Matter of fact the IFBB has been a closed organization since Ben Weider appointed himself life president. The bodybuilders all kissed butt of whoever was in charge because they all wanted to win the titles. Those who did not bow down to the IFBB were usually banned and when they returned they got placed 8th. I have never understood how Bev Fancis and Sergio could be placed 8th in the lineups they were in.

About Franco's seminar. Well, I was about as impressed as how they award "Doctor" titles to chiropractors. That seminar was lacking in any valuable information. You can always tell which bodybuilders have some education. Those lacking resort to answering questions and call that a seminar. People who did that at my gym and in Sydney were Sergio, Franco, Paul Dillette. The best two seminars were given by Ray Mentzer and Larry Scott.

There was a photo taken outside my gym with Franco, Arnold, and Bev in it.

Many might not know that about 6 of the top competitors in that Olympia "boycotted" the following Olympia and Franco won in a condition that has to be the poorest of any champion. Let us face it so many great bodybuilders were "cheated" by the Olympia that it has become a rather controversial event instead of a celebration of the best in the world.

Did Arnold deserve to win in 1980. Yes, in my considered opinion, especially judging from the 400 or so images that I took and inspected. 2nd place could have gone to any of the top men. Even Danny Padilla, who never was compared, looked the best all-round in the photos. Dennis Tinerino looked in superb condition. Boyer Coe had the most impressive posing display. Chris Dickerson presented a beautiful body. Frank Zane looked a bit small compared to some of the others. Roger Walker was as big as anyone there. Others were overlooked but had supporters in the audience. Casey Viator, Samir Bannout and Roy Callender come to mind.

When it was all said and done Arnold was a legend in bodybuilding and that day he had just enough of his size and shape to be a bit better than the rest. Especially his arms and chest. I mean, as much as Chris was a sight to see he was dwarfed beside Arnold. Ditto for Frank Zane. Mike seemed to be carrying a slightly bloated midsection. However, that said I did take a superb photo of Mike that Ironman put on the cover and in that photo you could argue that he looked the best. However, unless you were at the prejudging and show you were not able to see and know everything that occurred. From where I sat I wasn't impressed with Mike. I know he was devastated after the contest but goodness me if you compete you have to know you can lose. Arnold often said that the losers always claim the contests were "fixed". I asked him at my home if that contest he lost to Zane was fixed since he lost? "Yes, it was!" he replied. So I guess he was getting even with Frank and Mike.

I knew from Paul Graham that Arnold was competing. I even told some of the competitors who were waiting at Bondi Beach for a bus to take them to the opera house. No one believed me. Ah, how surprised everyone was. Arnold stayed at the Hilton in town. Others joined him there when the hotel at Bondi had cockroaches or something! There are some stories to tell about that contest. Someone even went to Frank's room after the contest. That person told me he thought he heard someone crying inside. Anyway, Christine told the visitor that Frank didn't want to see anyone. Several of the placegetters smashed their trophies back stage. That was the last year that place getters received trophies. For some incomprehensible reason no competitor has ever ripped up a cheque!   :)

240 or bust

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2005, 09:09:41 PM »
Many might not know that about 6 of the top competitors in that Olympia "boycotted" the following Olympia and Franco won in a condition that has to be the poorest of any champion. Let us face it so many great bodybuilders were "cheated" by the Olympia that it has become a rather controversial event instead of a celebration of the best in the world.

That is an amazing fact. Who skipped the next year?

Can you imagine the top 6 skipping a modern-day Olympia? I guess I can see why people still talk about it. I guess it would be similar to Coleman retiring, and Cutler being given a gift win over a better Dex for all his years of runner up status.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2005, 10:05:27 PM »
Went to a Franco seminar the day after he won in 81. He was a complete dick! ASSHOLE!!! OK, I feel better now.  :)

619Rules

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2005, 10:19:09 PM »
Vince-

You and Ausvet were both there-and you both have a slightly different version of what happened-you said you heard boos and cheers, Ausvet said he only heard boos. Whatever the case, you know from first hand experience what happened.

As for the following O, Arnold was promoting that show-just as he had in 76,77,78 and 79-with Jim Lorimer in Columbus Ohio. Boyer Coe and Mike Mentzer both said they would not do the show b/c Arnold was promoting it. Zane said he was not going t do it, but only b/c he wanted to train with a full year off-not b/c of Arnold.

Thats funny that Franco was as dumb as a door knob. As for getting a "Doctor" title from chiropractic school in he USA, well it is a bit of a stretch because you need very little prepatory work to go to chiropractic school, not even a bachelors degree.

BTW-are you buddies with Paul Graham, or do you know him? Do you own a gym in Sydney? Have you seen or know what Roger Walker is up to? That article they did on him in Ironman (1981?) was pretty cool.

Thanks for the first hand version!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2005, 02:52:59 AM »
Nope, not buddies with Paul Graham. He gave me 25 out of 100 at the 1975 Mr Australia contest. Arnold also judged and put me down causing me to place last in my class. I warned the promoter that Paul was going to do this but nothing was done about it. Ah, the jerks in bodybuilding. Paul and Arnold lived together in 1968 in LA. Paul got nabbed soon after for sending stolen cars back to Australia. He spent a couple of years locked up in the states while Arnold continued with his career.  The dopes in Australia elected Paul head of the IFBB here in 1972. No one could get rid of him after that because he had a deal with the Weiders and merely changed the name of his organization but kept the official affiliation with the IFBB. I see Paul now and then. He owns a gym in Sydney and runs contests. He has done okay over the years and owns a couple of expensives homes here. At least he did last time I talked to him.

Franco wasn't a dope. It seemed like a nice guy. No one learned anything except a bit about chiropractic adjustments!

I had a friend take a video of the contest and I am sure I will find people clapping loudly when Arnold won. The movie of the contest recorded that cheering. What the filmmakers did was cut out the booing.  Arnold was not booed off the stage. That is a lie. I agree that a lot of people were upset at the result and said the contest was fixed. No, it wasn't fixed but it was close.

We had a meeting at my gym in Sydney a few days after the Olympia for bodybuilders to discuss the contest and so on. I won a big trophy from Paul for selling the most tickets to the contest. 200 at $35 each, which was a lot of money in those days. Paul did not make a profit from that contest. Anyway, the bodybuilders there decided the Olympia sucked and we sent Chris Dickerson the trophy our gym won. It was a huge trophy. It was inscribed: "Chris Dickerson, Mr Olympia 1980, from the bodybuilders of Australia." He never publicized that he received that trophy so he was a good sport.

Yes, what is the test of facts from the past? Is opinion and reputation sufficient. I think that I could get plenty of people who were there who would support my statement that Arnold got a lot of cheers when he won the title that year. I am afraid the standard of discourse on this board is rather insulting at times.

I have co-owned a large gym in Sydney since 1971. I taught high school for 10 years over here. I have a DipEd, BA, and a MEd from different universities. I design and build my own gym equipment and won the ancient 1970 Mr Canada contest. I never BS about the truth or reality of bodybuilding.

Paxil Rose

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2005, 05:38:15 AM »
Vince, your gonna do yhat your gonna do, but posting with that fat fuck is a lost cause. He read ( I should say had read to him ) RicK Wayne's muscle wars ( written when Rick was pissed at Joe, Arnold and bodybuilding ) and thinks he has a complete view of things.

619 is a douchebag ( period )

THE BEEF CURTAIN.

619Rules

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2005, 10:18:25 AM »
Vince, your gonna do yhat your gonna do, but posting with that fat f**k is a lost cause. He read ( I should say had read to him ) RicK Wayne's muscle wars ( written when Rick was pissed at Joe, Arnold and bodybuilding ) and thinks he has a complete view of things.

619 is a douchebag ( period )

THE BEEF CURTAIN.
Thanks Vince-

Paxil Sucks His Dick Rose is such a stupid homo that he still has his dick up Arnold's ass and does not know which way is up.

You just have to igonore the pussie. He tghinks b/c the "Comeback" had Arnold getting lots of cheers that there is no such thing as sound edititng. Plus the guy only has a grade school education.

Now that we are finished with the BEEF guy.

Now, last question-what happened to Roger Walker?

One more-what is the name of your gym in Sydney? ;D ;D

*Dutch*

• Getbig III
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2005, 10:48:35 AM »
I am afraid the standard of discourse on this board is rather insulting at times.

Vince, it is refreshing to see someone who was actually there, post something of substantial substance, and I agree with your observation. I hope you continue to post here on GB as it helps tremendously to tip the scales in the opposite direction. 8)

619Rules

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2005, 12:12:26 PM »
I agree with your observation.
Well gee whiz.....*Dutch* agrees, as if Dutch were there in person and has some sort of authourity to agree-Dutch you and BEEF BOY need to get together and make *Observations* together.

SlyIzLegend

• Getbig III
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2005, 12:13:48 PM »
Well gee whiz.....*Dutch* agrees, as if Dutch were there in person and has some sort of authourity to agree-Dutch you and BEEF BOY need to get together and make *Observations* together.
haha you just owned them fella's

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2005, 05:24:22 PM »
If I read Dutch's reply he agrees with my observation about this forum being filled with insulting anonymous individuals.

I would prefer to know who I am talking to. I have never posted on the net anonymously. I don't throw the weights down in gyms either!

Roger Walker was a giant here in Australia. He was a musician in a military band in Richmond, NSW, outside Sydney for many years. He opened a basic gym with another bodybuilder but that didn't last very long. I saw Roger a few years ago and he seemed to be doing rather well working for some sporting goods company in an important position as a buyer or something. Roger is very candid and says what is on his mind. I recall the very first time I saw him in Melbourne after he was the guest poser. A young English bodybuilder from Sydney drove down to Melbourne to see the contest and Roger pose. He came up to Roger afterwards and announced that he, too, was from England. Roger said, "I can't help that!" and instantly removed one fan from his club! I must say that lots of people believe quite extraordinary things about others. I have to wonder where most of us get our information from. Sometimes two of us can see the same phenomenon but have distinctly different impressions of what happened. That surely applies to subjective observations such as bodybuilding contests.

If you merely say, "In my opinion so and so was the best" then no one can refute that that is your opinion. However, if you declare that "so and so should have won" you are making a statement that others can disagree with. Talk about what you like and think but do not assume that everyone else has to agree with you or should agree with you.

*Dutch*

• Getbig III
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2005, 07:38:48 PM »
If I read Dutch's reply he agrees with my observation about this forum being filled with insulting anonymous individuals.

Vince, that is precisely what I was referring to. It seems that some of these anonymous individuals are so full of rage, that it affects their comprehension skills tremendously! ::)

619Rules

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2005, 08:32:18 PM »
Vince, that is precisely what I was referring to. It seems that some of these anonymous individuals are so full of rage, that it affects their comprehension skills tremendously! ::)
Ge serious *Dutch*...you talk more shit here than most.

Paxil Rose

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2005, 04:22:50 AM »
If I recall ( and I do ) Roger had no respect for Arnold what so ever. I recall seeing him in 76 in Montreal at the Universe and he was a monster. In 80 he was the most massive man on stage ( his gyno ) was a little off putting, but he set the bench mark for a strong massive physique at the time.

He always looked a little pissed off.

THE BEEF CURTAIN.

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2006, 08:46:38 AM »
Vince-

You and Ausvet were both there-and you both have a slightly different version of what happened-you said you heard boos and cheers, Ausvet said he only heard boos. Whatever the case, you know from first hand experience what happened.

As for the following O, Arnold was promoting that show-just as he had in 76,77,78 and 79-with Jim Lorimer in Columbus Ohio. Boyer Coe and Mike Mentzer both said they would not do the show b/c Arnold was promoting it. Zane said he was not going t do it, but only b/c he wanted to train with a full year off-not b/c of Arnold.

Thats funny that Franco was as dumb as a door knob. As for getting a "Doctor" title from chiropractic school in he USA, well it is a bit of a stretch because you need very little prepatory work to go to chiropractic school, not even a bachelors degree.

BTW-are you buddies with Paul Graham, or do you know him? Do you own a gym in Sydney? Have you seen or know what Roger Walker is up to? That article they did on him in Ironman (1981?) was pretty cool.

Thanks for the first hand version!

I don't know about Chiropractors having an easy ride to getting their certification.

http://www.adjustbacktohealth.com/articles/aa70.htm

Seems almost as hard as med school.  Law school's easier ;D
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2006, 09:22:58 AM »
 I saw an interveiw with Arnold and I remember Arnold mentioning that when he was getting in shape for Conan Franco commented on how great he looked and that maybe he should enter the Olympia. People have to remember that filming a movie takes up to a year some time and then you have to secure a release date. Conan was easily close to two years old when it was released. I mean the actual filming started close to two years before the release date.

Slick Vic

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2006, 12:17:35 PM »
???
He seems like he had a lot to lose and not much to gain.
6 wins wasn't enough. He had to proce who was THE BEST.... EVER!  ;D