Author Topic: Huckabee leads 'values voters'  (Read 2374 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Huckabee leads 'values voters'
« on: September 19, 2009, 08:50:11 PM »
Romney goes on defensive as Huckabee garners 29% in straw poll.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A day after former Baptist minister and likely presidential rival Mike Huckabee offered a withering critique of Mitt Romney's record, the former Massachusetts governor made his pitch to the same group of religious conservatives.

As Mitt Romney, left, defended his health care record Saturday, Mike Huckabee won a vote.

Romney appealed to attendees at the Values Voter Summit in Washington on Saturday, using a speech that drew heavily from his address to social conservatives at the same hotel earlier this year. "Putting such a spirit-crushing, back-breaking debt burden on our children is unworthy of our national character," he said.

"That is why I believe that this spending and borrowing is not just economically irresponsible, it is morally wrong."

The former Republican presidential candidate, widely considered a likely 2012 contender, was on the ballot for the gathering's 2012 presidential straw poll, along with Huckabee, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, Texas Rep. Ron Paul, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Indiana Rep. Mike Pence and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum.

Huckabee won the straw poll Saturday, grabbing nearly 29 percent of the vote. Romney, Pawlenty, Palin and Pence each won roughly 12 percent of the 597 votes cast.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Huckabee leads 'values voters'
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 08:58:21 PM »
I like huck he seems like a real level headed and rational person...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 08:59:51 PM »
I like huck too.  Funny guy.

Let's be clear: None of these guys made me. This great nation made me. So vote for me. God bless America and forget these three idiots." --on the dispute between Conan O'Brien, Stephen Colbert, and Jon Stewart over who made Mike Huckabee

"When we were in college we used to take a popcorn popper -- because that was the only thing they would let us have in the dorms -- and fry squirrels in the popcorn popper." (Watch video clip)

"There's a greater chance that I would dye my hair green and get tattoos all over my body and do a rock tour with Amy Winehouse than there is that I would run for the Senate, so let me put that to rest. Somehow, just imagine me, green hair, on tour with Amy Winehouse, ain't happening, not running for the Senate, done deal, absolutely no way."

"I'm from Hope, Arkansas, you may have heard of it. All I'm asking is, give us one more chance."

"I'm pretty sure there will be duck-hunting in heaven and I can't wait!" --speaking to an NRA group

"We've had a Congress that's spent money like John Edwards at a beauty shop."

"Jesus was too smart to ever run for public office...that's what Jesus would do." --after being asked if Jesus would have supported the death penalty

"Whether we need to send somebody to Mars, I don't know. But I'll tell you what, if we do, I've got a few suggestions, and maybe Hillary could be on the first rocket."

"Which one?" --to Mitt Romney, after the former Massachusetts governor told him not to try and characterize his position on Iraq

"And the ultimate thing is, I may not be the expert that some people are on foreign policy, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night."

"I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution. But I believe it’s a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God. And thats what we need to do is amend the Constitution so it’s in God’s standards rather than trying to change God’s standards so it lines up with some contemporary view of how we treat each other and how we treat the family."

"The point I'm trying to make is that, on the campaign trail, nobody's going to be able, if they've been campaigning as hard as we have been, to keep up with every single thing, from what happened to Britney last night to who won 'Dancing with the Stars.'" --explaining why he was unfamiliar with the National Intelligence Estimate on Iran's nuclear capability

"We ought to declare that we will be free of energy consumption in this country within a decade."

"If anybody wants to believe they're the descendants of a primate, they'e welcome to do it." --answering a question about evolution

"If a person dresses provocatively, they're calling attention -- maybe not the most desirable kind -- to private parts of their body." --after being asked whether he's against miniskirts

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 09:07:10 PM »
some of those are pretty funny

you dont think huck makes a good pres candidate 240?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 09:08:39 PM »
sorry, it's silly, gay, retarded, crazy and stupid but I can't forget about that creepy ass dream of him I had a year ago where he was president and the image was of him smiling walking through total destruction. Prior to posting that, I remember all my posts of him were pretty positive.  He seemed like a very likable person, very presidential. Then I had that dream and was like, where the fuck did that come from. I had little reason other than him being republican to dislike him.  Maybe the Christian thing freaked me out subconsciously, I've had some fucked up experiences with Christian bullshit in the last few years.   I really did have that dream and yes I know it sounds stupid but it still freaks me out when I see him and it feels like I just know he's going to be president.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 09:09:24 PM »
some of those are pretty funny

you dont think huck makes a good pres candidate 240?

i liked Huck best out of the bunch in 2008.  Huck presonally handed the nomination to Mccain.  It probably would have been Romney without Huck.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=did+huckabee+get+mccain+nominated%3F&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Would mccain have won the election with Huck as VP?  It's very possible.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 09:11:46 PM »
I do think he was a *little* dishonest about the cross image in the background of one of his ads.  Said it was an accident.  Nahhhhhh.

I admired his courage to admit the bible wasn't word-for-word true.  That we weren't just created 5,000 years ago, etc. 

60% of total 2008 voters believed the VP candidate wasn't even qualified to be VP.  I highly doubt 60% of Americans would have thought that about huck.  And huck would have kept those same far-right voters that she did.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 09:12:12 PM »
Would mccain have won the election with Huck as VP?  It's very possible.
I would say more than very possible.  Whoever advised him on Palin knew they were destroying his chances.  Huck would have appeased the same people that Palin was meant to appease.  Huck was already known and well vetted.  He probably would have won.  Palin was the worst choice ever politically.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 09:15:44 PM »
Palin was the worst choice ever politically.

I have often said most people are sheep who would rather watch American Idol than the news.

however, despite the excitement, sexiness, and new-ness of Palin, they sure did use their brains.  3 out of 5 Voters believed she was not qualified for the job. 

Speaks volumes.   Matt Damon probably said it best...

I'd love to see Huck run in 2012.  A Huck/Mitt ticket would probably beat Obama, really.  They don't like each other, but hey...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 09:20:33 PM »
what the fuck is a values voter anyway

why don't they just call themselves conservative christian voters

seriously

why all the word games?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 09:22:17 PM »
I have often said most people are sheep who would rather watch American Idol than the news.

however, despite the excitement, sexiness, and new-ness of Palin, they sure did use their brains.  3 out of 5 Voters believed she was not qualified for the job. 

Speaks volumes.   Matt Damon probably said it best...

I'd love to see Huck run in 2012.  A Huck/Mitt ticket would probably beat Obama, really.  They don't like each other, but hey...

I can see that ticket winning.  especially with the way things are going for Obama.  They're destroying him.  I'm not so sure it would win with Mitt as president.  I really do think to many people will hold the mormon thing against him.  I don't think the nation is ready for a mormon president.  and I know how that sounds seeing how we now have a black president.  But it's the religious right that will matter in that vote and a mormon might have enough staying home or going third party that Obama would win.  Of course if they keep going with Obama, they might turn him into such a demon that a mormon looks angelic to them.

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 09:25:21 PM »
Sorry, but I cant stand Huck. He reinforces the religious zealout charactiature that the mainstream media tries to paint the Republican Party with - and a lot of independents fall for it. He knows nothing about international economics - a big no-no if you want to be in the White House. And the guy is a populist. Its bad enough when leftists like Barack Obama badmouth businesses and corporations. It is unacceptable when a Republican does it. Bill Clinton knew enough not to do that, and that is why he was such a successfull politico. Its too bad none of his Democrat nominee successors were as tempered. Mike Huckabee must not win the nomination. Barack Obama may not be quite enough of a disaster for people to decide to roll the dice on Huck. And we cant take that chance, because we cannot afford 4 more years of Barack Obama.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 09:27:42 PM »
pawlenty/Huck is also interesting.   The guy seems to be the one repub governor who hasn't banged a newer model.  

Honestly, I don't think the party needs a rock star, a firecracker, a wildcard to win.  A consistent and steady hard worker could do it.  

I'm shocked Palin scored so low among far-right voters.  I'm happy though.  She is great for her fanbase, but there are so many better repubs to nominate.  And I'm very happy to see Repubs realizing that.  

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 09:28:02 PM »
I would have hated to see hucks name go to shit b/c he accepted the VP spot with mccain to be honest.

I agree with palin possibly the worst choice out there I liker her personally as far as a private citizen but for VP no way but then again obama wasnt the best choice for the dems either so maybe mccain was just trying to play the same game.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 09:30:05 PM »
what the fuck is a values voter anyway

why don't they just call themselves conservative christian voters

seriously

why all the word games?
Same as, the "moral majority" lololol...  the ones that keep turning up to be total hypocrites

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 09:31:20 PM »
I would have hated to see hucks name go to shit b/c he accepted the VP spot with mccain to be honest.

I agree with palin possibly the worst choice out there I liker her personally as far as a private citizen but for VP no way but then again obama wasnt the best choice for the dems either so maybe mccain was just trying to play the same game.

you mean biden?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
Sorry, but I cant stand Huck. He reinforces the religious zealout charactiature that the mainstream media tries to paint the Republican Party with - and a lot of independents fall for it. He knows nothing about international economics - a big no-no if you want to be in the White House. And the guy is a populist. Its bad enough when leftists like Barack Obama badmouth businesses and corporations. It is unacceptable when a Republican does it. Bill Clinton knew enough not to do that, and that is why he was such a successfull politico. Its too bad none of his Democrat nominee successors were as tempered. Mike Huckabee must not win the nomination. Barack Obama may not be quite enough of a disaster for people to decide to roll the dice on Huck. And we cant take that chance, because we cannot afford 4 more years of Barack Obama.
Ive only seen him a number of times in interviews etc...and although they do paint the right as such it doesnt really seem that huck is that way. He uses logic to defend his positions based on faith instead of simply religious beliefs.
I dont think the majority of america really cares to much about religious beliefs look at obama spent 20 yrs in a church that spouts racist views that didnt play much of a role.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 09:39:22 PM »
you mean biden?
no i meant obama he wasnt anywhere near the best candidate for the job simply the popular one which is why perhaps mccain went with the popular choice of palin...

as for biden I have no idea why he choose him if he had choosen hillary the election would have been over the day they announced it.

If hillary had won the primary i would have probably voted for her over mccain

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 09:40:39 PM »
Ive only seen him a number of times in interviews etc...and although they do paint the right as such it doesnt really seem that huck is that way. He uses logic to defend his positions based on faith instead of simply religious beliefs.I dont think the majority of america really cares to much about religious beliefs look at obama spent 20 yrs in a church that spouts racist views that didnt play much of a role.

what does this mean?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 09:45:19 PM »
what does this mean?
haha i knew you would ask me that  ;)

His views while they may stem from his religious views I dont know if they do Ill assume they do as it seems consistent with them such as being anti abortion etc...are backed up with logic and not simply b/c God says so like some ppl do.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 09:46:58 PM »
haha i knew you would ask me that  ;)

His views while they may stem from his religious views I dont know if they do Ill assume they do as it seems consistent with them such as being anti abortion etc...are backed up with logic and not simply b/c God says so like some ppl do.

example?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 09:50:10 PM »
oh this is getting goood... got my popcorn :)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 09:52:24 PM »
example?
I tried to find a clip of him on the daily show that I saw but couldnt find it

basically alot of the same points ive said to you over and over and over again that you disagree with not about parental rights but abortion specifically.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2009, 09:56:37 PM »
I tried to find a clip of him on the daily show that I saw but couldnt find it

basically alot of the same points ive said to you over and over and over again that you disagree with not about parental rights but abortion specifically.

uh,....ok

that's your example of "using logic to defend his positions based on faith instead of simply religious beliefs"?

I'm still a little confused on the difference between faith and religious beliefs

maybe you can explain that part

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2009, 10:00:52 PM »
uh,....ok

that's your example of "using logic to defend his positions based on faith instead of simply religious beliefs"?

I'm still a little confused on the difference between faith and religious beliefs

maybe you can explain that part
Ok without getting into the whole debate again b/c i seriously dont want to have this with again for the n^th time.

Religious belief not based in logic while his beliefs may stem from religion he uses logic to back them up.