Author Topic: Obama to shift focus to climate change & Cap & Trade  (Read 3088 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Obama to shift focus to climate change & Cap & Trade
« on: September 21, 2009, 02:01:55 PM »
latimes.com
Obama to shift focus to climate change
The president faces serious challenges on global warming as the Copenhagen summit looms. He will speak to the United Nations and at a G-20 conference this week.
By Jim Tankersley

September 21, 2009

Reporting from Washington

After months of almost single-minded focus on healthcare, President Obama is about to shift the White House spotlight to global warming -- first with a speech to the United Nations in New York on Tuesday, then later in the week at the G-20 economic conference in Pittsburgh.

The renewed emphasis on climate change and reducing carbon dioxide emissions comes at a crucial time: Negotiators are entering the home stretch in a drive to unveil a comprehensive international agreement to curb rising temperatures at a December conference in Copenhagen.

With key divisions remaining among the major industrialized nations, as well as with developing industrial powers and poorer nations, there is concern that negotiations leading up to Copenhagen could be bogging down. Obama administration officials, while admitting the seriousness of the challenges, hold out hope for a deal.

Here are nine hurdles facing Obama and his counterparts:

Healthcare: If the U.S. hopes to lead the way to a climate deal, leaders at home and abroad agree, it must complete congressional action on legislation that shows it's serious about reducing its own greenhouse gas emissions, which scientists blame for global warming. The House passed climate legislation in June, but the issue is stalled in the Senate while Congress debates the healthcare overhaul.

If the Senate fails to pass a climate bill before Copenhagen, "it would open the United States to the charge that it does not take its international commitments seriously, and that these commitments will always take second place to domestic politics," Ambassador John Bruton, head of the European Commission Delegation to the United States, warned last week.

Cost: For any climate bill to pass, key moderate Democrats and crossover Republicans will need to be convinced it won't lead to higher energy prices.

Republicans cite estimates that emission limits could cost a typical family thousands of dollars a year in higher energy costs and lost economic opportunity. Democrats cite other studies, including a Congressional Budget Office report last week that estimates the "average per-household loss in purchasing power would be $90 in 2012 and $925 in 2050," an average of about $455 a year from 2012 to 2050.

Farmers, coal and oil: The House bill passed only after some representatives won financial breaks for coal-fired power plants, oil refineries, agriculture and other industries. Those interests hold potentially greater sway among key moderate Democrats -- and possibly some Republicans.

Even more such concessions are likely to be demanded in the Senate, potentially chipping away at the legislation's environmental goals.

The president's role: Obama stayed largely out of the House climate debate until its final days before passage. At a time when he's juggling one major domestic initiative, several small ones and a complete foreign policy overhaul, he'll need to focus on the climate bill to get it through by December.

"It's going to take the president's leadership" to pass a Senate bill, said Dan Lashof, who directs the Climate Center at the Natural Resources Defense Council, which is aggressively fighting for the bill. "I think he's prepared to do that."

Obama pragmatism: The U.S. negotiating team is determined to broker only an international deal that could win ratification in the Senate -- a position that means the team is sticking to far less ambitious emission reduction targets than many other nations would like. Success in Copenhagen could hinge on Obama's ability to sell the more limited agenda.

China and India: Getting the world's fast-developing mega-emitters on board will be crucial to any hopes of curbing global warming. With India deeply reluctant to accept emission limits, U.S. officials have pinned their hopes on winning Chinese support.

Money: The multibillion-dollar sticking point of the talks could be who pays the bill -- both to help developing nations curb their emissions and help poor island nations adapt to an already changing climate. Global finance ministers will take up the question at the Group of 20 summit this week.

Poorer nations have asked the developed world to contribute 1% of its annual gross domestic product to the effort, a potentially $140-billion-a-year tally in the U.S. alone -- and one that doesn't sit well with Republicans in Congress.

Deforestation: Nations can shut down coal plants and pull cars off the road, but the easiest way to slow the accumulation of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere may be to stop deforestation. The issue will be key to the talks, particularly when it comes to providing incentives for Brazil and Indonesia to cut down fewer trees.

The term paper problem: Veteran climate negotiators say every treaty session ends with a flurry of last-minute activity that generally results in an agreement. It's like college students pulling all-nighters to turn in their final papers.

But with so much unresolved so close to the opening of the session, experts say negotiators need to speed up -- and not cram at the end -- if they have any hopes of success.

jtankersley@latimes.com

Copyright © 2009, The Los Angeles Times

________________________ ________________________ ____________________

They are worried about passing a bill before this stupid summit so Obama can save face?  Fuck that! 

Health Care is going to be like tee league compared to the major league fight waged over Cap & Tax. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Obama to shift focus to climate change & Cap & Trade
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 02:04:27 PM »
Just remember this little clip when this horrific bill comes up for debate:

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 02:05:51 PM »
Any new ACORN indictments lately?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 02:14:17 PM »

Breitbart said new bombshells are on the way this week or the next. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 02:15:52 PM »

What do you think of that clip I posted 240? 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 02:38:50 PM »
Barry said in his own words that with Cap and Trade....bills would "sky rocket"....The left will try and destroy the one thing we do better then anybody else...grow food.  This will go down in flames....
L

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 02:45:13 PM »
Cap and Trade has worked before and will work again.  It worked during Bush 1's presidency with the 1990 clean air act changes which was a cap and trade like system.

Saving the planet is more important than saving exxon mobil a few bucks.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 02:47:51 PM »
Cap and Trade has worked before and will work again.  It worked during Bush 1's presidency with the 1990 clean air act changes which was a cap and trade like system.

Ha ha.  This is nothing more than a tax on the middle class and giveaway to Goldman Sachs. 

BTW - what about the clip i posted? 

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 02:49:42 PM »
Ha ha.  This is nothing more than a tax on the middle class and giveaway to Goldman Sachs. 

BTW - what about the clip i posted? 

and you know this how? Even your fav person in the world was campaigning for cap and trade - Palin.  It's the solution not the problem. 
Abandon every hope...

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 02:50:45 PM »

Hate to break the news to you, but the "planet" will still exist even if humans perished.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 02:51:49 PM »
and you know this how? Even your fav person in the world was campaigning for cap and trade - Palin.  It's the solution not the problem. 

Solution to what exactly? Is cap and trade going to somehow control solar activity?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 02:52:38 PM »
Hate to break the news to you, but the "planet" will still exist even if humans perished.

No doubt, but in what state? Besides what right do you or i have to take away this planet we enjoy from future generations? Get off the selfish high horse and start contributing something of substance before you perish.
Abandon every hope...

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 02:54:06 PM »
Solution to what exactly? Is cap and trade going to somehow control solar activity?

Solution to the disgustingly high output of green house gases and pollution.   You can't really be that stupid because if you are i feel sorry for you. Really.
Abandon every hope...

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 02:54:30 PM »
No doubt, but in what state? Besides what right do you or i have to take away this planet we enjoy from future generations? Get off the selfish high horse and start contributing something of substance before you perish.

Yeah OK, it all about being selfish and not the fact that the temperature of the earth is controlled by the Sun.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 02:54:52 PM »

China, India, and Russia all told Obama to GFY on this issue.  

Go read Matt taibii's rolling Stone article about this.  He is a lib and says this is a disaster and giveaway to GS and other corporate cronies of Obama.  

BTW - did you watch the clip i post ed where Obama admits this will cause all our electrc rates to skyrocket?  

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »

Its not even remotely the same and its step one in destroying farming and industry in this country. At the end of this thing, when Barry is finally gone..he will not only be the worst president in history, he'll be considered an enemy of the state. How can one dipshit community organizer do so much damage.

Kc as usual ur grasp of anything on this board is minimal. Ur bills will go up period. Hell ur favorite messiah said the the same thing. My god, ur an idiot..stop now.
L

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 02:56:13 PM »
Solution to the disgustingly high output of green house gases and pollution.   You can't really be that stupid because if you are i feel sorry for you. Really.

Prove greenhouse gases are causing global warming, and don't post some fucking conscensus bullshit I want indisputable proof.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 02:56:26 PM »
Yeah OK, it all about being selfish and not the fact that the temperature of the earth is controlled by the Sun.

Haha okay sure scientific consensus on greenhouse gasses and global warming are just so wrong and hey you're right because i mean you're what the lead scientist of the world right?
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 02:58:17 PM »
Prove greenhouse gases are causing global warming, and don't post some fucking conscensus bullshit I want indisputable proof.

This is another lie and scam by DEAR LEADER.  This is nothing but a transfer of wealth from the middle class to the govt and goldman sachs in the name of global climate change, which has been happening since the earth was formed. 

Only brain dead idiots like KC, Mons, and Benny support disastrous policies like this.   

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 02:58:32 PM »
Haha okay sure scientific consensus on greenhouse gasses and global warming are just so wrong and hey you're right because i mean you're what the lead scientist of the world right?

Read other post I want concrete proof not conscensus. You don't need to be a fucking scientist to know that the sun heats the fucking earth.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 03:00:08 PM »

The consensus in your public housing project is that smoking and drinking is good for your health and being on WIC and Section 8 is perfectly fine, does that make it right?   

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 03:04:08 PM »
Some crazy CT'ers on here that's for sure. I really truly feel sorry that you all are so ingrained and afraid of the truth.  Fact is cap and trade is a great idea.  It produces an incentive for companies to use less energy, it creates a viable financial system for greener companies to profit and less green companies to buy in order to continue until they are able to make changes.

I see no issue with this as a consumer i will choose the companies that make better decisions and don't have to buy but instead trade their carbon credits.  If you don't wish to do so, don't.  It's still a free country and choices are still there to be made.  
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 03:06:09 PM »
Some crazy CT'ers on here that's for sure. I really truly feel sorry that you all are so ingrained and afraid of the truth.  Fact is cap and trade is a great idea.  It produces an incentive for companies to use less energy, it creates a viable financial system for greener companies to profit and less green companies to buy in order to continue until they are able to make changes.

I see no issue with this as a consumer i will choose the companies that make better decisions and don't have to buy but instead trade their carbon credits.  If you don't wish to do so, don't.  It's still a free country and choices are still there to be made.  

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 03:07:10 PM »
The consensus in your public housing project is that smoking and drinking is good for your health and being on WIC and Section 8 is perfectly fine, does that make it right?   

Haha yes because you and a minority are smarter than a majority of people specifically educated and trained in the field of climate change.  A majority of americans voted obama in and he is delivering what they want, it may not be what you want but guess what? You're the minority on this one buddy enjoy that  :-*  
Abandon every hope...

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 03:07:55 PM »

Great to see a pic of you 333! Nice lats there you been working on the pull up station?
Abandon every hope...