Author Topic: Personal Trainers: Smart or stupid move?  (Read 5398 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: how stupid you ve got to be to pay for PTs
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 09:18:23 PM »
I have never been a PT but my observations at various gyms that I've belonged to have led me to think that many PTs prey on the ignorance of inexperienced clients and feed their fears about working out "incorrectly" in order to get the client to keep paying them week after week.  I go to a Gold's in western Massachusetts and have never once witnessed a PT showing a client how to do a freeweight squat, bench, or deadlift.  Seen plenty of them showing their clients how to do one-armed curls while balancing on a BOSU or needlessly micromanaging every aspect of their workout to make it as complicated as possible, and thus as difficult as possible for the client to do it on their own without the PT.  Like yesterday the twink head PT at my gym was having a client do pushups, nothing wrong with that, yet barking instructions the entire time.  "Tilt your head up, down a little bit more, there it is.  Move your hands in and back a little, not that far, up a little more..."  Fuck man just let the dude do a pushup, it's not rocket science.

In closing I'm sure there are good PTs out there who genuinely want to help people lead healthier, fitter lives, but I think a great many of them are in it because it's a cake job that requires little actual training or intelligence, and couldn't care less about actually helping someone improve their fitness.
Many many many trainers do try and keep clients coming back ive never seen one intentionally tell a client to do an exercise wrong though. I have seem some trainers have their clients do some crazy ass shit though.

My pitch was always to explain to them that my goal was to educate them to the point that they could go and exercise efficiently on their own. Problem is without a trainer there most ppl have no accountability and will slack off I would say one of the biggest parts of being a trainer is holding your clients accountable. Most repeat clients dont come back for the exercise advice etc...its simply for the accountability and as others have said they form a personal relationship with their trainer.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 09:26:50 PM »
makes you realize how much money some people have when they can drop $200-$300 a week on a trainer and not even give a shit...

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 09:29:20 PM »
I think getting help from a PT at first is a good idea. But I'm sure regular PT's abuse the system and don't teach the clients appropriattely / or make them do weird exercises that absolutely necessitate the presence of a PT. I don't think most people start out correctly, because beginners never have a good idea for what a starting point for them is. For example, most people will start out doing a traditional bodybuilding split which is the last regimen anyone should start out doing. Also, core exercises like squats and deadlifts take some time for the beginner to master. having a trainer around to teach u these things (assuming he's a good trainer) will raise the learning curve tremendously and save you a lot of time and hassle. So I would be in favor of getting a [good] PT to begin working out.
follow the arrows

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 09:36:15 PM »
I learned most from getbig.com

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 09:53:57 PM »
i'd def pay johnny no name to pt me, great shape, great hair, great skin, great body, great cell phone, great cloathing, fuck ya!

jt
TEAM Nasser

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 10:07:48 PM »
I bet you consider yourself a "good trainer" ?  ::)

Yes......better than most!

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 10:20:54 PM »
Paid chaperones and cheerleaders for the most part.

If someone wants to pay you to hold them accountable, then at least establish that fact and enjoy the money.

PT's for professional athletes are in a completely different category than the wannabe MILFs that litter the gym.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 10:32:07 PM »
Paid chaperones and cheerleaders for the most part.

If someone wants to pay you to hold them accountable, then at least establish that fact and enjoy the money.

PT's for professional athletes are in a completely different category than the wannabe MILFs that litter the gym.

Thank you........most of the morons on here try to lump us into one big category.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 10:34:04 PM »
Yes......better than most!

I'll hire you as a PT if you:

1) Register as a Democrat

2) Change your sig to say "Goatboy is God".

3) Get me a Jesse James custom chopper for 1/2 price.

4) Re-marry Peggy.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 10:43:21 PM »

I'll hire you as a PT if you:

1) Register as a Democrat

Not now, not ever. I have morals

2) Change your sig to say "Goatboy is God".

Only one God......you ain't it!

3) Get me a Jesse James custom chopper for 1/2 price.

Only I get that discount and since he only does about 10 a year, mine will be done in about 30 years

4) Re-marry Peggy.

I'd suck on a gun barrel before that would happen!!

Hope this helps!

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2009, 10:48:53 PM »
Thank you........most of the morons on here try to lump us into one big category.

I trash PT's all the time. It's kind of like the pot calling the kettle black. I've been a PT for over 15 years now. When people ask me what I do I just tell them I dispatch for 911.

The majority of corporate gym PT's are an embarrassment these days. I have to put blinders on when I'm working so that I don't end them.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 03:21:28 AM »
I would pay for sessions with a trainer with big titties and a bald pussy. 

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 04:21:24 AM »
their idea of "up to date" is teaching them how to do burpee's which is a exercise my uncles used to do back in the military.

we still do them and they still suck balls

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 04:57:18 AM »
I would pay for sessions with a trainer with big titties and a bald pussy. 

PM Johnnyno name.
Deep Tissue Massage

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 05:04:54 AM »

I am a strength coach but I am there to motivate athletes - they get there at 6:30 and have a set program for that season we develop then they must be supervised and sometimes have to make there strength mark

now working with general public -- I mostly train women -- cause they either want to gain weight or tone up - I train only active women who have very demanding jobs -- they tell me the most they like the MOTIVATION I give them after traveling, putting up with their kids and ex-husbands shit all day - then they come see me and we get it dun

but mostly people hire me to write diets - which yes you can do on your own - BUT they ALWAYS have questions like if I left apples off the list of fruits/veggies if they can eat them --

remember the #1 reason people dont workout or use a gym is LACK OF EXPERIENCE - so it makes sense why a trainer would help SOME people out

but hell yea I mostly feel like someone these ladies tote around the gym and dont mind being seen with working out -- and I make em sweat - but I'm like the big guy you bring to the club so all the guys dont hit on you but in the gym when I train some of these women

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 06:29:31 AM »
I'd love to be a PT at a high end club where the lonely hot houswives come to visit. Make some extra cash on the side.

just google 'mike torchia' and see how a top Cali trainer bangs every hot lonely housewife, has articles printed about it and gets away with it

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2009, 08:45:37 AM »
There are personal trainers and then there are personal trainers.

Of course, unless you have some sort of legitimate degree, regarding exercise and nutrition, you are (for all practical purposes) a maid/janitor in a weight room. I know that firsthand from my summer job at Bally back in 1995.

I'd love to be a PT at a high end club where the lonely hot houswives come to visit. Make some extra cash on the side.

That's what I thought. But the manager put me in the free weight room, because I was the only one strong enough to put all the dumbbells back in their proper place. He also wanted me to keep people from bringing their bags where the weights were, as people were stealing the collars and the 5 and 10-lb plates.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2009, 08:51:11 AM »
Why use PT's when you have experts like Goodrum and Falcon (bit at least Falcon looks good).  Goodrum charges alot but he is worth it ::)
No Worries 4 me

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2009, 08:55:24 AM »
i'd def pay johnny no name to pt me, great shape, great hair, great skin, great body, great cell phone, great cloathing, fuck ya!

jt

see jtsunami gets it
some trainers are good for "exercise therapy"
some trainers will be your best friend
some trainers will get you as shredded as you want to get
some trainers are guys who can get you in shape but also are status symbol

i'm the last one
I can get you in shape BUT i'm also the status symbol
in other words,  "OMG- she's training with salvatore.  Isn't he the one with that tan and is always wearing those designer jeans.  She must be really rich.  Plus, she is looking great lately as well"

we still do them and they still suck balls

"suck" cuz they are hard, right?

PM Johnnyno name.

i do have a bald pussy but i don't have big titties- i'm barely a A-cup

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2009, 09:25:43 AM »
There are personal trainers and then there are personal trainers.

Of course, unless you have some sort of legitimate degree, regarding exercise and nutrition, you are (for all practical purposes) a maid/janitor in a weight room.
I know that firsthand from my summer job at Bally back in 1995.

That's what I thought. But the manager put me in the free weight room, because I was the only one strong enough to put all the dumbbells back in their proper place. He also wanted me to keep people from bringing their bags where the weights were, as people were stealing the collars and the 5 and 10-lb plates.

Honest to God where do you people come up with this dribble?

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2009, 09:46:42 AM »

"suck" cuz they are hard, right?

correct

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2009, 11:38:21 AM »
Honest to God where do you people come up with this dribble?

This "dribble" comes from firsthand experience. I applied for a job as a personal trainer at Bally, back in 1995. They were supposed to send me to their crash course in personal training, about 2-3 weeks after I got hired.

But the class got postponed and by the time it was re-scheduled, it was time for me to return to school. Guess what I did in the meantime: CLEAN UP THE WEIGHT ROOM!!

Guess what the other folks, who had already taken that course, did during slow/medium hours: CLEAN UP THE GYM FLOOR!!

Mons Venus

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2009, 11:45:34 AM »
90% of all people are retarded and lack common sense. Always assume that about people and you will never be disappointed.

x100

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2009, 12:50:42 PM »
I called it "dribble" because you made a blanket statement and that's just not so. There are PLENTY of good trainers without degrees. Its great to have degree but it doesn't mean shit unless you know how to apply it. The problem is that VERY FEW know how to put an effective program together.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2009, 01:11:23 PM »
it's just weight lifting and maybe a little dieting when you want get lean
very easy stuff