Author Topic: doing squats, my side hip/leg muscle on one leg is strained?  (Read 4050 times)

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
doing squats, my side hip/leg muscle on one leg is strained?
« on: October 18, 2009, 07:16:56 AM »
weird when i do squats, my not sure what muscle it actually is, but it's like the upper side muscle almost like just the front of my hip muscle hurts, not a shooting pain hurt, but like a strain hurt, weird that this is the muscle that would feel anything ....

you would think ifyour doing squats and you get a strain it would be in the quads themselves or the knees or the glutes, not at the very top of your leg and like around the hip. anyway....

doing leg presses which i don't feel it as much, but it's still there?

any one know how this could have happened? not sure if it's a foot position/stance problem? i always take a shoulder width stance on my squats, but do go just below parallel  as well, perhaps i'm going too deep? i also never go that heavy, for example a set of 10 at 225/250 and so on. and yes, i warm up with 5 minutes on the bike, stretching and a couple of sets with just the bar. so....

not sure if i should just tough it out and go back to squats or lay off of squats and continue to just do leg presses?

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Re: doing squats, my side hip/leg muscle on one leg is strained?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 06:17:15 PM »
Sounds like a strained hip flexor

train with any leg exercise that doesn't bother it

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 08:23:22 PM »
I had a muscle knot causing me pain in that area, maybe you do too.  If yours is similar you should be able to feel a harder part of the hip muscle and pain when you press on it.  Buy a tennis ball or bouncy ball like a squash ball or something, and put that between your hip and a solid wall - roll around pressing the ball into the muscle knot for 30 secs or so each time.  My pain was gone after a week or two.
Also, go slower on the descent in squats.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 08:08:14 AM »
Might try doing  plain bwt squats, with butt as low as you can (full stretch), for a warm-up. Follow the function of the muscles planned on working. As using only the bar(or very light DB's) ,as a warm-up and stretch, before any serious benching.  Bike riding, with it's short ROM, is not giving you that much advantage. Perhaps on the knee area only, if that is what you want. Keep the reps to 20-30 for bwt warm-ups.

Might have a tendon or ligament issue. Does the pain cover a wide or more focused area, I wonder. Other than different foot spacings, you might consider placing the heels on a 2 X 4 (or BB plates) to shift the bwt to another direction of force. Also works the quads very well. Even how the bar is placed on the back, when squatting, may make a difference for you. BB'ing-high up, Pl'ing low. Most guy's have it somewhere in the middle. Good Luck.
F

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:23:12 AM »
hi everyone! well, i still have this problem/ feeling in my upper hip area, probably the hip flexor? it's right in the "hollow" part of the side of your upper leg in the hip area.

been doing only leg extensions and leg curls for the past month (no leg presses, no squats,) and this strain/ache feeling is STILL THERE?

this week i'm not going to do legs at all and try back on monday, december 7th and see if a total rest of my legs (even though it's only 1 leg i have the problem with) will make it feel better. worried though that if I wait until this strain/sprain feeling goes away and heals it might take months! i CANNOT NOT WORK MY LEGS FOR THAT LONG!

also my cardio i've been doing elliptical and high incline treadmill walking? been thinking i should do something even less impact on my legs, like just riding the stationary bike.

or course some at my gym, say i should just "effing man up" and as long as this feeling strain/sprain isn't excruciating pain and feels like something is about to rip off like a muscle, i should just deal with it?!?

like i said it's not some awful shooting pain, but just a constant dull ache, that i think is not from overuse or bad form on leg exercsies, but probably a small strain/sprain or even minute tiny tear in this area. it's never swollen up, but is tender when you press your fingers into the "hollow" side of your hip,upper leg area.

hmm, so what to do?