Author Topic: He died for us on stage. Aussie BB  (Read 5965 times)

spinnis

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: He died for us on stage. Aussie BB
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »
Re-flex action at showdown of the finely built body

ON Friday night, John Gusman, 40, painted himself nugget brown, two coats. He then put on a tracksuit and went to bed. ''Some of it still gets on the sheets,'' he says, of the high performance fake tan lotion.

He was given a rousing reception as one of the 55 competitors in the Victorian Bodybuilding Championships at Dallas Brooks Hall - everyone a superman in the same shade of darkness and blue, shiny Speedos. Even the warm-up backstage was spectacle enough, with Paul Jayilianno, 38, (above) intensely involved with his trainer, and John Gusman (rear) practising his moves.

On stage, the Classic category performance involves flexing arms, hands and legs in time to a rock ballad. There is also occasional bending over like a Greek god who has just flung a javelin.

The winner was Takis Venius, 39, who only returned to training three years ago after a two-decade break to raise a family.

Competition organiser and emcee Tony Doherty confirmed that ''someone got sick on stage and taken away by paramedics … People fall down doing all sorts of sports and on the Kokoda Track.'' Mr Doherty said he couldn't confirm the man had died, saying it wasn't fair to the family.

;D ;D

PIP

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 12:46:11 PM »
he died for those Aussie bitches

PIP

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 12:48:47 PM »
Somewhere out there, sometime, a kangaroo shed a tear.
from incomplete data

io856

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 01:24:36 PM »
thats the only way I would want to leave this Earth

godspeed

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 01:31:50 PM »
Hardcore. PIP.

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 01:32:31 PM »
 Bad fish probably. ;D

Gracie Rules

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 01:53:02 PM »
The angel of death is running on overtime today for athletes

High School Football Player Collapses
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,568360,00.html?test=latestnews

3 die in Detroit Marathon
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,568449,00.html?test=latestnews

College Football Player eats a knife sandwich, extra pickles
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,568415,00.html?test=latestnews
A

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 02:42:40 PM »
Competition organiser and emcee Tony Doherty confirmed that ''someone got sick on stage and taken away by paramedics … People fall down doing all sorts of sports and on the Kokoda Track.'' Mr Doherty said he couldn't confirm the man had died, saying it wasn't fair to the family.

Fair enough Messiah, they want to attack BBing yet there are plenty of fatasses dying walk that track because they have been sitting around for 20 years drinking piss, train for 2 months and think they can do it.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 04:16:56 PM »
I am very sorry to confirm that a competitor did have a massive heart attack yesterday. Despite every effort by our first aid crew and an amazing group of paramedics, he died later in hospital. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

I have known Gary for over 20 years and have always liked him. We sat and chatted at the weigh in for about 20 minutes, reflecting on the years past and how fast time had gone. He was rapt to be in the show and did not seem drawn, dry or at all unhealthy. I have seen competitors over the years that have had frightening condition and not looked healthy at all.

I am very proud of my crew who kept him alive and made every effort to save him. They were incredible.

Tragically people die in all sorts of sports and activities. Football, rugby, motor racing, yachting and on the Kakoda trail. I am absolutely shattered that he lost his life and will offer professional counseling to all involved.

When I made a comment to the press, I had not had official notice of his passing and was not confident that is family had been properly notified, I did not trust the reporter and did not like his approach or tone.

Thank you to everyone that has offered words of support to all involved it was a very sad day.
I am disappointed with the speculation and guessing going on here. So I will try to set you all straight.

Gary was alive when he left the hall. Ambulances do not transport dead people. The head paramedic assured me that they were holding out hope for him when they left. I truthfully expressed this to the crowd after we let them back in.

Should the show have gone on?

It was a difficult and well thought out decision that provided the best result and way forward for everyone that attended and competed. He was alive at the hospital when we re-started the contest.

Believe me, it was very difficult to perform for the rest of the day.

Again we express our sincere sympathy to his family and friends, it was a very sad result.

People die in all walks of life, Gary had a massive heart attack and did not recover. The same thing has happened in numerous marathons, football matches and at public events everywhere. If someone collapses in a marathon, they don't stop the race.

medici

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 04:24:09 PM »
It's not like he was 20 something he was old at 40 things go wrong at that age.At least they can't say it was from Bodybuilding Drugs.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 04:24:36 PM »
He was 52.

medici

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 04:28:25 PM »
Says 40 in the quote but you would know as you were a friend and a promoter.Will the police be looking into his death??

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 04:31:18 PM »
It's not like he was 20 something he was old at 40 things go wrong at that age.At least they can't say it was from Bodybuilding Drugs.

yes they can.   Preparing for the day of contest is very hard on the body.   To get that shredded look, losing as much water under the skin as possible,  often with the help of diuretics, even over the counter ones, can certainly trigger a heart attack.  

tony b

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 04:34:41 PM »
Says 40 in the quote but you would know as you were a friend and a promoter.Will the police be looking into his death??

The 40 year old referred to in the quote is different person.

It is such a shock to hear when things like this happen. I suppose if you have a life full of 'bodybuilding' and then you are going to further extremes in the way of contest prep, there is always a chance these things can happen. Contest prep is ravaging on your body. You are kicking your own bodies ass. Then chuck in things like diuretics and you stave your body of the things you need to live. You could look fantastic on the outside, but be literally dieing on the inside.

Best of wishes to Gary's family and friends.

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 04:36:53 PM »
dying on a bodybuilding stage fighting for a plastic trophy.

it don't get much lower than that.

medici

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 04:37:18 PM »
Things can happen but DEATH???

tony b

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 04:43:22 PM »
yes they can.   Preparing for the day of contest is very hard on the body.   To get that shredded look, losing as much water under the skin as possible,  often with the help of diuretics, even over the counter ones, can certainly trigger a heart attack.  

Exaclty. Your heart needs certain minerals to be able to function. If you use diuretics to take water out of your body, you are taking out the minerals along with it.

Perhaps in a similar way, if you sweat excessively, you can start to cramp from lack of sodium etc in your muscles.

medici

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 04:50:53 PM »
I am sure the Police will find the answer.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 04:52:05 PM »

maybe he didn't know that the trophy was made of plastic?

uberman09

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 04:52:26 PM »

L   O    L  .

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 04:54:43 PM »

Being a negative jealous bitch your whole life is much worse

medici

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 04:58:01 PM »
This would have been an IFBB show so all the Drug talk can just stop.Diretics and stuff like that are all BANNED by the IFBB so enough with the silly talk.

Outlaw53

• Getbig II
  • Country Classic Invitational. 7th August 2010
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 05:06:12 PM »
As someone who was at the show and witnessed the entire event I can only express my admiration and gratitude for how professionally and respectfully Gary was treated.
Hopefully those of you who have chosen to mock his death will receive the same respect when your time comes.

R.I.P Gary.

io856

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 05:06:30 PM »

nah bro

I would die for a title

often bodybuilding is like motor racing in that success is often determined as how far you were willing to risk your life

look at the 90s ffs... often referred to as the gold standard of bodybuilding but they also were fucking their organs up kidney failure, heart problems, gut cancers.... etc etc don't hear as much these days but some girls here keep comparing today to then...