Author Topic: TNA News:  (Read 158925 times)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: TNA - The NEW "Monday Night Wars" Begin:
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2010, 11:30:56 AM »
I like that he flat out declared that Hogan’s full of shit.
This confirms that some rumors (probably more than we think) are started by the promotions themselves.

That being said, I don’t mind someone of a certain age still wrestling because they simply love it - provided they are quite capable of putting on a decent showing.

Terry Funk is/was a great example.

But it’s rather pitiful to see a guy who can’t swing it anymore, and he’s hanging onto a gig he can’t work because he needs the money and/or because his ego is starved for attention.

From lawsuits, divorces, and dwindling investments from a shitty stock market, to trying to adjust to life as a “non-celebrity” after being one of the biggest global household names ever, it’s certainly believable that your Hogan’s and Flair’s fall into at least a couple of the above-mentioned categories.

But, fukkit. I’ll be watching tonight!

Goldberg never lived and breathed wrestling, so of course he doesn't really miss it.  the guy didn't work his way up the ladder by wrestling at State fairs, and high-schools, just because he loved it.  He was spoonfed a position on a roster and did the most with it.  But he never even bothered to develop as a wrestler, he was too busy injuring people (funny he made that comment about running around in his underwear injuring people)

Flair and Hogan have no idea how NOT to be wrestlers/involved in the business.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2010, 12:15:14 PM »
This confirms that some rumors (probably more than we think) are started by the promotions themselves.

That being said, I don’t mind someone of a certain age still wrestling because they simply love it - provided they are quite capable of putting on a decent showing.

But it’s rather pitiful to see a guy who can’t swing it anymore, and he’s hanging onto a gig he can’t work because he needs the money and/or because his ego is starved for attention.

From lawsuits, divorces, and dwindling investments from a shitty stock market, to trying to adjust to life as a “non-celebrity” after being one of the biggest global household names ever, it’s certainly believable that your Hogan’s and Flair’s fall into at least a couple of the above-mentioned categories.

And to add to the list of rumours that turned out to be true...Rob VanDamme has signed with TNA and will debut next monday when they go head to head.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2010, 12:46:37 PM »

i checked my local paper eastern time zone tna is repeating the monday night show in my area on thursday as it usually does, i can wait till thursday, and see both shows without tivo and  that other crap.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2010, 01:48:46 PM »
And to add to the list of rumours that turned out to be true...Rob VanDamme has signed with TNA and will debut next monday when they go head to head.

Next Monday?
You'd think they'd put him on tonight's show.
Tonight will largely set the tone for TNA.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2010, 06:51:08 PM »
Thing is though, they can't bring out surprise guests every week.  And since the Jan 4th live show, there's been as many negatives as positives.  Waltman and Hall are train wrecks who shouldn't be any near a wrestling ring, and the Hogan/Flair match was for some reason only given a two week build?! 

So, unfortunately, I've got my doubts that they can bring the goods every single week to compete against Raw.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2010, 03:44:53 AM »
My personal opinion – last night’s show can only be summed up with one word: disappointment.

Opening – weak.
Hogan’s kid – tacky.
X-Division match – fair at best.
Main Event – slow & poorly executed.

I know Flair & Hulk are older now, but they honestly looked like a couple of trainees doing their second ever ring drill.
They looked unsure of where to go & what to do during their spots.
Ex: if you can’t run a few steps, fine – but then don’t try any Irish whips.

Abyss looked bad, too.
During some spots, he moved as slow & confused looking as his elder participants.
Those punches he used on Flair out on the ramp were the worst I’ve ever seen ANYWHERE! Flair didn’t sell a single one, and I can’t determine if it was because they looked so bad, or was Ric simply in line with the rate of the rest of the match.

I know it’s 2010, and everyone knows that wrestling is “entertainment.”
But, so is Hollywood, yet people still enjoy movies like Avatar because they suspend their disbelief enough to temporarily get caught up & emotionally invested in what’s going on until the end credits roll.

The only thing believable about last night is that Vince McMahon probably let out a huge sigh of relief at 11:08 p.m.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2010, 07:49:42 AM »
My personal opinion – last night’s show can only be summed up with one word: disappointment.

Opening – weak.
Hogan’s kid – tacky.
X-Division match – fair at best.
Main Event – slow & poorly executed.

I know Flair & Hulk are older now, but they honestly looked like a couple of trainees doing their second ever ring drill.
They looked unsure of where to go & what to do during their spots.
Ex: if you can’t run a few steps, fine – but then don’t try any Irish whips.

Abyss looked bad, too.
During some spots, he moved as slow & confused looking as his elder participants.
Those punches he used on Flair out on the ramp were the worst I’ve ever seen ANYWHERE! Flair didn’t sell a single one, and I can’t determine if it was because they looked so bad, or was Ric simply in line with the rate of the rest of the match.

I know it’s 2010, and everyone knows that wrestling is “entertainment.”
But, so is Hollywood, yet people still enjoy movies like Avatar because they suspend their disbelief enough to temporarily get caught up & emotionally invested in what’s going on until the end credits roll.

The only thing believable about last night is that Vince McMahon probably let out a huge sigh of relief at 11:08 p.m.

Flair & Hogan need to hang it up. I said it before and I'll say it 100 more times. Athletics past the age of 45 is way to demanding on the body and physically impossible. I cringe watching these guys wrestle at a high age. They cannot perform like they did 10-15 years ago. Plain and simple. The need to retire gracefully and enjoy the twilight of their lives.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2010, 08:21:28 AM »
The best part of the show was when A.J Styles told Brooke Hogan to "Sit down and shut up!"

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2010, 08:57:58 PM »
I expected TNA to at least see a temporary surge in viewers for about the first month or so.

Now, I will be surprised to see even that.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2010, 07:14:51 AM »
I give the benefit of the doubt, too.
But, they had so much time to prepare this night & this was the best they were capable of?

I’ll give them a month to figure things out.
Everybody’s had ideas that sounded GREAT until they actually tried them.

Hopefully, Dixie & co. will learn where they need to change things.
They do have talent.
When Angle is healthy again, get him working some programs with RVD, Styles, Hardy (if he can stay out of jail), etc.
Incorporate Russo's ideas, but DO NOT give him absolute power. Vince never did, and he usually tweaked Russo's & Ferrara's ideas anyway.

But, if they do another match with either Hogan and/or Flair the way they did on Monday, TNA will seal its fate as a sinking ship that should have sailed much farther than it did.

I honestly believe that one of the best things Carter can do is to surround herself with smart people from the business, pool their ideas, but stay in charge. Don't become another Ted Turner type who passively owns a company with other people running it, while you are clueless as to what's going on.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2010, 05:20:44 AM »
I give the benefit of the doubt, too.
But, they had so much time to prepare this night & this was the best they were capable of?

I’ll give them a month to figure things out.
Everybody’s had ideas that sounded GREAT until they actually tried them.

Hopefully, Dixie & co. will learn where they need to change things.
They do have talent.
When Angle is healthy again, get him working some programs with RVD, Styles, Hardy (if he can stay out of jail), etc.
Incorporate Russo's ideas, but DO NOT give him absolute power. Vince never did, and he usually tweaked Russo's & Ferrara's ideas anyway.

But, if they do another match with either Hogan and/or Flair the way they did on Monday, TNA will seal its fate as a sinking ship that should have sailed much farther than it did.

I honestly believe that one of the best things Carter can do is to surround herself with smart people from the business, pool their ideas, but stay in charge. Don't become another Ted Turner type who passively owns a company with other people running it, while you are clueless as to what's going on.

Hogan & Flair need to retire gracefully and enjoy their earningsas do a lot of other 45+ performers who can't do for a second what they did 10 - 20 years ago. They are WAY past their prime and shouldn't be wrestling at all. If anything, keep 'em backstage as advisors. But that's it.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #161 on: March 11, 2010, 11:37:55 AM »
flair has more left than hogan and is always willing to take his famous top rope bump as well as his flail and fall on his face. wooooooooooooooooooooooo .
F

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #162 on: March 11, 2010, 11:41:32 AM »
flair has more left than hogan and is always willing to take his famous top rope bump as well as his flail and fall on his face. wooooooooooooooooooooooo .
Flair is 60. Hogan is 57. They should both be at home enjoying the twilight of their life long works. Not taking half-assed mediocre bumps.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2010, 11:59:30 AM »
Flair is 60. Hogan is 57. They should both be at home enjoying the twilight of their life long works. Not taking half-assed mediocre bumps.
i agree
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: March 11, 2010, 05:54:38 PM »
People criticized Hogan for being too old to put on a worthy show when he worked programs with Flair & Piper in WCW 12-14 years ago.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2010, 05:17:47 AM »
People criticized Hogan for being too old to put on a worthy show when he worked programs with Flair & Piper in WCW 12-14 years ago.

Somewhat yes, but he still had it back in that time. He still popped the crowd and when the NWO was in its prime back then it was HUGE. Everyone was into it. Hogan was and always will be pro wrestlings #1 guy that put that sport / entertainment on the map but at 57 years of age he really should be back stage at best training younger guys or in an advisory role. Not attempting to wrestle taking lousy bad timed bumps due to his age.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2010, 06:18:23 AM »
^^ Agree.
I often wonder if people's complaints stemmed from the fact that the Hulk Hogan "character" was too old, rather than Terry Bollea.

Hogan's always had his detractors who've felt he ought to just hang it up - and that was after he/they reinvented his character with the (as you mentioned) wildly successful Hollywood/NWO persona.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2010, 10:58:32 AM »
^^ Agree.
I often wonder if people's complaints stemmed from the fact that the Hulk Hogan "character" was too old, rather than Terry Bollea.

Hogan's always had his detractors who've felt he ought to just hang it up - and that was after he/they reinvented his character with the (as you mentioned) wildly successful Hollywood/NWO persona.
Its typical "getbig" too, Mont. Its like the gossip board where people think that Arnold should look like he did in 1975 at 65 years of age and they post pics of his now much, much older body. People forget that he did his time, won his string of "O" titles, put bbdg on the map, because a successfull actor, made millions and millions and is now governor of all things. What more do people expect? When people want to see him now, they need to book an appointment. That is if he isn't busy on one of his many yachts.

Age is a road you cannot turn back from. A Hogan in 1987 at a bulging 302lbs @ 6'7" in height was a phenomenon. A rejuvinated Hogan in the NWO was a refreshing change considering times in the business changed. But that time has passed.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2010, 11:20:19 AM »
And, nothing Hogan does will ever change the things he's accomplished...
But, a performance like last week could change the way he's remembered.

Along with the apex of your career, people will also remember you as you appeared in your last performance.
A shitty ending can ruin an otherwise great story.

Hogan & Flair need to accept that their stories have been told.
Nothing they can add to them now will enhance them.
If you want to be in the business, then BE in the business - in some other capacity...
But don't do it a disservice by attempting things you're no longer cut out to do.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2010, 02:54:26 PM »
And, nothing Hogan does will ever change the things he's accomplished...
But, a performance like last week could change the way he's remembered.

Along with the apex of your career, people will also remember you as you appeared in your last performance.
A shitty ending can ruin an otherwise great story.

Hogan & Flair need to accept that their stories have been told.
Nothing they can add to them now will enhance them.
If you want to be in the business, then BE in the business - in some other capacity...
But don't do it a disservice by attempting things you're no longer cut out to do.

I wonder if there is any backstage heat between Hogan & Russo. Especially after that live TV disaster that happened on Nitro in late 1999.when Russo pubically fired Hogan and quit. Hogan later came out and said, "This is why WCW is in the shape that it's in".

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: March 12, 2010, 05:58:17 PM »
It wouldn’t surprise me – especially since it sounds as if Hogan this time not only makes more $$ than Russo, but he’s also his executive superior.
I don’t know all the details, but the impression I get is that Hogan is the head booker, head writer, and head everything else – second only to "Dixie-chic" (who looks very edible, BTW).

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: March 13, 2010, 01:38:35 PM »
Hogan & Flair need to retire gracefully and enjoy their earningsas do a lot of other 45+ performers who can't do for a second what they did 10 - 20 years ago. They are WAY past their prime and shouldn't be wrestling at all. If anything, keep 'em backstage as advisors. But that's it.

Here's one of the only guys who could do it.
I believe Mr. Thesz was over 70 y.o. when this match was held:

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2010, 05:19:56 AM »
It wouldn’t surprise me – especially since it sounds as if Hogan this time not only makes more $$ than Russo, but he’s also his executive superior.
I don’t know all the details, but the impression I get is that Hogan is the head booker, head writer, and head everything else – second only to "Dixie-chic" (who looks very edible, BTW).

Dixie IS very edible :)

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2010, 08:17:59 PM »

BUUUUUT...they both still take better bumps than Lacy Von Eric....

Jesus...only time she lands on her back is in the sack...

Worst female in  the sport.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2010, 11:39:27 AM »
Lacy is a modern day Miss Elizabeth - which is fine, so long as they keep her in that role.
IOW - limit her "working" to standing ringside while showcasing her fabulously fake boobies, fake tan, fake hair, fake nails, and delicious ass & legs that go on forever.

If TNA ever releases her, it would be great to see her do one of "those" DVD's that some out of work divas occasionally put out in order to pay the bills for a while.
Think Missy Hyatt.

Although, after a little more thought, Lacy is probably a step above that.
I suspect she's more of a leaked stolen sex tape kind'a gal.
I don't care who (or how many) it's with...a LVE sex tape would sell. Her status as a TNA knock out will qualify her as a celebrity, which would classify her video as a celebrity sex tape - a label that commands public attention.
People who've never watched TNA a day in their lives would buy it because every ounce of this woman is SEX!

I could watch a video of her using a Netti Pot and sprout instant wood.
There is nothing she can do that is not sexy.