Author Topic: TNA News:  (Read 159780 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: TNA vs. WWE - The NEW Monday Night Wars:
« Reply #225 on: April 15, 2010, 12:25:29 PM »
I would have preferred them to at least keep NWA in the title – like when it was called NWA-TNA.

I’m curious…
How do you think a late-80’s version of NWA/WCW would go over today?
Granted, it would probably be difficult to go back to that format after what’s happened in the business over the last 15 or so years.
But had Turner kept that late 1980’s formula, how do you think they’d be doing today? 

NWA / Crockett Promotions was at its best 1983 - 1989. As soon as Turner's suit and ties took over....it was all over. UNTIL the NWO turned it all around.  8)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #226 on: April 15, 2010, 01:43:05 PM »
I would have preferred them to at least keep NWA in the title – like when it was called NWA-TNA.

I’m curious…
How do you think a late-80’s version of NWA/WCW would go over today?
Granted, it would probably be difficult to go back to that format after what’s happened in the business over the last 15 or so years.
But had Turner kept that late 1980’s formula, how do you think they’d be doing today? 

Interesting question.  What would be the most difficult is that the TV matches now are mainevent compared to the jobber squashes of yesteryear....haha

I think a smart booker who could bring in some of the old-schoolers to tie things together could have some success running a promotion that caters to people who grew up on the 80's wrestling.  Many of us still WANT to get back into watching it, but I'm just jaded to the current product being so over the top. 

When I lived in Hickory, NC they actually had a cable weekly show from a very small promotion that was very old-school.  I thought it was great.  Just needed a bit of tweaking here and there....production quality, few established stars, etc....

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #227 on: April 17, 2010, 05:39:47 AM »
Dixie Carter has announced that this Sunday night's TNA Lockdown PPV will feature The Motor City Machineguns vs Brian Kendrick and Homicide in a bonus tag team match.

The Wrestling Observer is reporting that Vince Russo has claimed that he wants to move from Colorado to Nashville to be closer to the TNA offices.
Additionally, it's being said that Russo has been telling people that he's feeling burnt out from writing TV, and is getting frustrated with talent complaining about their segments which then leads to re-writes on the day of the tapings.

Also, according to Meltzer's site, both Scott Hall and Sean Waltman have been taking their latest run in TNA much more seriously and are working hard to do their best in the company.
Hall has reportedly dropped weight and is eying a goal weight of 255 lbs, and it's being said that both men seem to have a renewed passion for the business as they realize this could very well be their last run in pro wrestling.
It should be noted that neither man is working on a long term contract, and it's rumored that Hall is receiving $3,000 per appearance.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #228 on: April 17, 2010, 05:50:18 AM »
Fanhouse.com recently conducted an interview with TNA star Rob Van Dam.
The following is an excerpt:

"Paul and I do stay in touch, we're friends," Van Dam said.
"Of course, I would be thrilled to have him there and I think that he really, I know that he really has a way of staying on the pulse of people and staying really connected in what they want.
He's a little bit ahead of them."

"He knows what the people want next week, what they're going to be listening to next, what kind of music is going to be coming around.
That's something that is really important and he would make it cool. His name does come up a lot by fans or some of the other wrestlers or by people that curious, wondering if he is going to come in. To the best of my knowledge, no. I don't know if he is.
That would be nice but I have no reason that he is..."

"Obviously, one thing that RVD has is I'm one of a kind. I'm an original – I stand out. But promoters don't know that. They try to put me in a formula for everyone else. In the 20 years of my career, there's only been one promoter that understood to just let me go out there and do my thing and that was Paul. In fact, he taught it to me."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #229 on: April 19, 2010, 12:27:08 PM »
Apparently Sean Waltman stiffed the TNA PPV yesterday as he wasn't happy with doing a job for the money he was being payed.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #230 on: April 19, 2010, 12:56:57 PM »
Let's see what Meltzer has to say about him now...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #231 on: April 19, 2010, 05:49:16 PM »
PWTorch.com is reporting that Sean Waltman did not "no-show" TNA's Lockdown PPV last night, and did give management a heads up in advance that he would not be appearing at the show.
He cited personal reasons for not being able to work the show, but the feeling at this time is that he had not been cleared by The Missouri State Athletic Commission to compete.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #232 on: April 20, 2010, 04:25:51 AM »
PWTorch.com is reporting that Sean Waltman did not "no-show" TNA's Lockdown PPV last night, and did give management a heads up in advance that he would not be appearing at the show.
He cited personal reasons for not being able to work the show, but the feeling at this time is that he had not been cleared by The Missouri State Athletic Commission to compete.
I read yesterday something about him not having a wrestling license in that particular state so thats why he missed the ppv. With Waltman though, who knows...at least he tapped Chyna in every orfus possible.  ;D

If anyone is interested...Rob VanDamme just won the TNA world title last night on Impact.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #233 on: April 20, 2010, 06:51:35 AM »
I think a smart booker who could bring in some of the old-schoolers to tie things together could have some success running a promotion that caters to people who grew up on the 80's wrestling.  Many of us still WANT to get back into watching it, but I'm just jaded to the current product being so over the top. 

What do think about TNA signing this man?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #234 on: April 20, 2010, 12:24:14 PM »
If anyone is interested...Rob VanDamme just won the TNA world title last night on Impact.

Awfully early for that, isn't it?
I like RVD, but...

Sheik & Undertaker are the only two guys who I 100% believe will never EVER appear in another mainstream wrestling company – in any capacity.

I’m not saying he won’t.
But, it’s the last thing I would ever expect to see in the wrestling world.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: April 21, 2010, 09:45:30 AM »

haha, I would tune in every week for those promos!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #236 on: April 25, 2010, 09:12:42 PM »
I caught some of a 2:00am Raw recap show. The guest host was "Macgruber" who I guess is some knockoff of MacGyver that's been made into a movie.

It wasn't just bad. It was scary bad. I can't believe Vince greelighted this. Not only were the bits painfully unfunny, but they dragged on forever.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #237 on: April 26, 2010, 04:30:15 AM »
Right now, TNA needs to work on making TNA a better product and not worry about WWE or even attempting to compete with them.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: April 29, 2010, 09:25:48 AM »
Right now, TNA needs to work on making TNA a better product and not worry about WWE or even attempting to compete with them.

QFT.  the older school of fan has turned away from the WWE over the last 5 or 6 years in droves.  Perfect chance for them to step it up as there are many of us who would like a solid weekly show to watch, but have grown soooooooooooooooooo tired of the WWE and VKM's horseshit.

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
« Reply #239 on: April 29, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »
Will HBK show up on TNA within 6-8 months?
RIP Bob Probert

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2010, 11:54:09 AM »
I loved Perfect and the Brain but never jumped ship and watched WCW. HBK is one of my all time favorites. But if he goes to TNA I won't watch 1 second of it. I'm with the Federation until I die.

The Federation may die before you do, Timmy.
 :D

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2010, 01:13:31 PM »
Will HBK show up on TNA within 6-8 months?
Absolutely not. I seriously cannot see this happening. Not at all. He's 45 years old, made some serious coin and his injuries simply will not allow it.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2010, 02:13:11 PM »
Absolutely not. I seriously cannot see this happening. Not at all. He's 45 years old...

I agree.
He's still too young to go there.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2010, 03:38:14 PM »
I loved Perfect and the Brain but never jumped ship and watched WCW. HBK is one of my all time favorites. But if he goes to TNA I won't watch 1 second of it. I'm with the Federation until I die.

Why would you deny good entertainment for Vince?

What has VKM ever done for you?

That's just silly.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #244 on: April 29, 2010, 04:27:36 PM »

I agree.
He's still too young to go there.

LMAO

I've said that Bishoff isn't the answer for TNA. Others have countered with the fact that Bishoff has beaten Vince, before.

The problem is that Eric is trying to beat Vince, now, with the same guys he used 15 years ago.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: April 29, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Yeah, it’s somewhat analogous to if Vince decided to bring back Bruno Sammartino because business was good when Bruno had the strap back in ’75.

Not only that, but Bischoff took WCW to the top for about 90 consecutive weeks.
Vince has been on top for the majority of the time since 1985.

Also, Bischoff was one of the guys who contributed in a big way to WCW’s demise.
Of course, you can’t point all the fingers at only him – or anyone, for that matter – but he certainly did his part.
Not sure I’d want to put someone that irresponsible in charge of my company, although I doubt Dixie would give Eric “absolute power” as Turner did.

And to this day, that is why I maintain that Ted Turner is just as much to blame as anyone else for the demise of WCW.
All he had to do was pay a little attention & take a little interest in his product instead of leaving other people to run his company.
Pompous jack-off.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #246 on: April 29, 2010, 08:34:27 PM »
Actually, by the time WCW was falling apart... Ted couldn't do anything.

He'd folded himself into AOL-Time Warner and had almost no say in the goings on in the company.

He was just stuck making money.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: April 30, 2010, 04:55:29 AM »
Actually, by the time WCW was falling apart... Ted couldn't do anything.

He'd folded himself into AOL-Time Warner and had almost no say in the goings on in the company.

He was just stuck making money.
According to several different DVD's that are out there, they all say the same thing. It was Turner's suit and ties that destroyed WCW. These people had ZERO wrestling knowledge and had no idea on how wrestling storylines should be created and delivered. Arn Anderson said it best when he said that these people should have been buying a ticket. Take Jim Herd for example...he was a regional manager in Pizza Pizza's head office and all of a sudden in 1990 he was running a multimillion dollar wrestling organization. And they wonder why WCW floundered after that. Ha. If it wasn't for die hard fans like myself that where interested in watching the actual wrestlers and tuning in from time to time to catch some stars that they liked like Cactus Jack or Vader, WCW would have crumbled years ago.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #248 on: April 30, 2010, 12:19:03 PM »
what i liked about wcw is that they were introducing wrestlers every week. they didn't bring a guy in from nowhere and call him a superstar right off like wwe did with numerous guys mike knox santino morello was champ first night carlito, gail kim first run. wcw brought guys in and they appeared to have to pay some dues  as goldberg etc.
F

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #249 on: April 30, 2010, 12:36:52 PM »
what i liked about wcw is that they were introducing wrestlers every week. they didn't bring a guy in from nowhere and call him a superstar right off like wwe did with numerous guys mike knox santino morello was champ first night carlito, gail kim first run. wcw brought guys in and they appeared to have to pay some dues  as goldberg etc.
Goldberg was big, ripped, hyped and extremely overrated. He was very green in the ring and he legitamtely hurt a lot of guys (cost Bret Hart his career with a very un-controlled superkick). The guys that paid their dues in WCW were Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Ray Mysterio, etc. Otherwise half that roster was already established.