Author Topic: TNA News:  (Read 159984 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: TNA News:
« Reply #875 on: May 30, 2011, 04:22:07 AM »

LOL!!
One thing to David's credit: it wasn't his fault that WCW pushed him too much, too soon.
He knew he wasn't ready, freely & openly admitted it, and has acknowledged that it was a horrible idea.

That sounds like a pretty humble kid to me - especially being "the son of RIC FLAIR."

As for Reid, I'm sure that growing up as Flair's kid had plenty of perks, but at the same time, I'm sure that it also had its share of hardships.
Reid may just want to avoid working in his father's shadow, and maybe wants that physical/professional distance for a number of reasons: he may wish to avoid (percieved) nepotism, or maybe he doesn't want his dad smothering him and/or his career, etc.

I bet you this was done purposely to humilate Flair further given his problems with Bishoff. I bet you Bishoff did this on purpose.  ;)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #876 on: May 30, 2011, 06:06:58 AM »
I bet you this was done purposely to humilate Flair further given his problems with Bishoff. I bet you Bishoff did this on purpose.  ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if it was meant as a blow to Ric's ego.
Lance Storm worked with David some while Flair was out with an injury.
David must have mentioned to his dad about it because when Ric came back, he was extremely nice to Storm.

Lance claimed Flair thanked him up front for "mentoring" David, but then Ric also tried to act like Storm's buddy after that; almost kissing ass, but not to gain anything - more just to be nice & say thanks, I guess.
Although, Flair probably wouldn't have minded Lance continuing to work with David.

The funny thing was: Lance didn't have much of anything in common with Flair.
Lance appreciated the gesture and regretted not being able to strike up a closer friendship with "The Nature Boy."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #877 on: May 30, 2011, 07:38:20 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if it was meant as a blow to Ric's ego.
Lance Storm worked with David some while Flair was out with an injury.
David must have mentioned to his dad about it because when Ric came back, he was extremely nice to Storm.

Lance claimed Flair thanked him up front for "mentoring" David, but then Ric also tried to act like Storm's buddy after that; almost kissing ass, but not to gain anything - more just to be nice & say thanks, I guess.
Although, Flair probably wouldn't have minded Lance continuing to work with David.

The funny thing was: Lance didn't have much of anything in common with Flair.
Lance appreciated the gesture and regretted not being able to strike up a closer friendship with "The Nature Boy."
When they had Hogan whip David Flair with his weight belt I didn't think it was called for storyline or not. Flair said many times how he resented Hogan for doing that and not being gentle about it.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #878 on: May 30, 2011, 09:51:15 AM »
It appears that TNA is not done trying to bring back stars from the 90's as the company is in a '"full court press"' to sign Bill Goldberg. Both Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff have apparently been in Goldberg's ear for the last few months trying to get the most dominant wrestler of the late 90's to return to the "squared circle". On Saturday, Wrestleheat.com also reported that Hogan and Bischoff have been talking with former WCW star Sid Vicious for a possible short term run with the company.

Last weekend, Goldberg and Eric Bischoff were seen together in NY most likely talking over the possibility of Goldberg coming to TNA. A video of the two was posted by Goldberg as they took a helicopter tour of NYC. It would be interesting to see what the financial terms would be for Goldberg to come to TNA.

Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff trying to fix what they broke in TNA

Goldberg was the hottest thing in wrestling by the spring of 1998. His undefeated streak captured the wrestling world while his intensity and wrestling look separated himself from his peers. Goldberg would go on to rack up an impressive run with WCW before the company made one of the worse mistakes of that era by having Goldberg lose and end his undefeated streak.

During his run toward WCW immortality, Goldberg had a decent feud with Sid Vicious for the US Title. Sid would eventually go on to wrestle for the world title before WCW closed down in 2001. Sid wrestled for every major promotion in the 80's and 90's. It's unknown what type of role Sid would play in TNA as he's turning a 51 in July. However, I can't see TNA critics being happy about the company bringing in a 51 year old and 44 year old wrestler no matter how popular they are.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #879 on: May 30, 2011, 09:56:13 AM »
You know... I never really much liked Goldberg.

No real reason I suppose... He just didn't excite me. Wasn't a particularly great worker and his unstoppable gimmick doesn't work in wrestling for long... Eventually, you've gotta lose.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #880 on: May 30, 2011, 10:01:01 AM »
You know... I never really much liked Goldberg.

No real reason I suppose... He just didn't excite me. Wasn't a particularly great worker and his unstoppable gimmick doesn't work in wrestling for long... Eventually, you've gotta lose.

I think the "invincibility" gimmick may have played better for Goldberg had he come along about 10-15 years sooner.
Wrestling's had so many "unstoppable forces," that I think audiences became a little desensitized to them (along with everything else).

Bill looked fantastic, but a guy's got to have more than just the right look to pull off that angle, now.
He's got to have some skills, and with all due respect to B.G., he still looked green even in the main event.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #881 on: May 30, 2011, 11:09:38 AM »

I think the "invincibility" gimmick may have played better for Goldberg had he come along about 10-15 years sooner.
Wrestling's had so many "unstoppable forces," that I think audiences became a little desensitized to them (along with everything else).

Bill looked fantastic, but a guy's got to have more than just the right look to pull off that angle, now.
He's got to have some skills, and with all due respect to B.G., he still looked green even in the main event.

I liked his WCW entrances. That was some good hype.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #882 on: May 30, 2011, 11:55:56 AM »
Goldberg....he was impressive at the beginning, only because of sheer force but the streak got old.  The only time I was happy with it, is when he would face someone in the nWo because it was the ONLY time any of them jobbed.  And even then it was almost always Hall or Hennig.  I'm really not so sure BG could have really developed much.  He was a powerful athlete, but had ZERO finesse required in pro wrestling to be a really good worker.  It's hard to explain, but maybe Monty sees what I mean and could explain it better.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #883 on: May 30, 2011, 12:12:59 PM »
I think what youre trying to say is Bill couldnt adapt his character, he would ALWAYS have to be "that" guy on the streak. Nothing else could work for him as he was notoriously uncooperative and had no mic skills or personality that could be enhanced for future changes.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #884 on: May 30, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »
I think what youre trying to say is Bill couldnt adapt his character, he would ALWAYS have to be "that" guy on the streak. Nothing else could work for him as he was notoriously uncooperative and had no mic skills or personality that could be enhanced for future changes.

all true, but I'm talking more about his in-ring performance.  I just don't think he was a fluid enough athlete to be much more than a 3 or 4 move brawler.  His mic skills were embarrasing.  Should have had a manager from the get-go to help with that.  Or just not let him speak, EVER.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #885 on: May 30, 2011, 12:28:26 PM »
He wasnt an overly complex wrestler, as you say he had 3 - 4 moves he could really rely on. There wasnt a great sense of continuity to his work, its as if he had to have breaks whereby they were locked up and looking to figure out what to do next at times. If you watch Bret vs Benoit in the Owen memorial, THAT is a match which just flows from start to finish. Same as Bret vs Bulldog in Wembley 92

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #886 on: May 30, 2011, 12:33:35 PM »
He wasnt an overly complex wrestler, as you say he had 3 - 4 moves he could really rely on. There wasnt a great sense of continuity to his work, its as if he had to have breaks whereby they were locked up and looking to figure out what to do next at times. If you watch Bret vs Benoit in the Owen memorial, THAT is a match which just flows from start to finish. Same as Bret vs Bulldog in Wembley 92

Very true.  I always enjoyed Flair/Steamboat matches for the same reason.  They just flowed from one move to the next.  Whereas with BG you could see him and his opponent struggling to get into position often times.  Then I think when BG got frustrated he would just execute some power move to cover it up.  Often without protecting himself or the other guy.  IE: Bret Hart.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #887 on: May 31, 2011, 04:48:32 AM »
all true, but I'm talking more about his in-ring performance.  I just don't think he was a fluid enough athlete to be much more than a 3 or 4 move brawler.  His mic skills were embarrasing.  Should have had a manager from the get-go to help with that.  Or just not let him speak, EVER.
He was always too green in the ring and very stiff. He hurt a few wrestlers legitamately.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #888 on: May 31, 2011, 06:34:52 AM »
Goldberg....he was impressive at the beginning, only because of sheer force but the streak got old.  The only time I was happy with it, is when he would face someone in the nWo because it was the ONLY time any of them jobbed.  And even then it was almost always Hall or Hennig.  I'm really not so sure BG could have really developed much.  He was a powerful athlete, but had ZERO finesse required in pro wrestling to be a really good worker.  It's hard to explain, but maybe Monty sees what I mean and could explain it better.

I agree.

I don’t think he would have developed/evolved much more simply because he didn’t “have to.”
He was pushed all the way with limited ability AND a limited understanding of the business.
Like Hellwig, Bill thought he “knew” everything; he was just nicer about it.

But, several guys tried to make suggestions to him during his run, and the reasoning just never clicked.
Although he wasn’t a dick, I suspect BG still had the mentality: “Why should I listen to you? I became the biggest star in the company doing things my way.”

Things probably would have been a little different had he been an underneath guy who was looking to improve.
In that instance, I suspect he would’ve been willing & eager to develop.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #889 on: May 31, 2011, 07:35:01 AM »
TNA Wrestling’s announcement on May 23 that Terry Taylor, Director of Talent Relations, made the decision to leave the organization, is reportedly a cover excuse.

According to a source, Taylor was fired by the organization on May 20. It is believed that he was let go due to allegations made against him in a lawsuit filed by a former performer.

The source notes that it may not necessarily be Shannon Spruill’s (a/k/a Daffney) lawsuit against the organization, although his name was implicated.

Taylor and creative writer Vince Russo pressured Daffney into performing a spot at the October 18, 2009 pay-per-view event Bound for Glory in which she would go through a board covered with barbed wire, reasoning that it was important for the ongoing feud between Abyss and Mick Foley. Daffney, who was hesitant on the idea, was assured that she would be fine and taken care of. She agreed to perform the spot, which resulted in her being chokeslammed from the ring apron by Abyss onto a board covered with barbed wire. She suffered a concussion taking the maneuver and was taken to an Orlando area hospital via ambulance. Furthermore, Spike TV wouldn’t allow TNA to air the spot during iMPACT! due to their policy on men-on-women violence.

Daffney’s trip to the emergency room resulted in a substantial medical bill, which Taylor stalled TNA from paying and ultimately was not. The lawsuit also claims she was pressured to continue performing after suffering two additional concussions. She suffered a concussion after being hit on the head with a toolbox by Tara following their match on the February 18, 2010 episode of iMPACT!. On April 20, 2010, she was injured in a dark match against an obese green worker by the name of Miss Betsy and was taken to an Orlando area hospital, where she was diagnosed with a concussion, as well as a deeply bruised sternum and a severe stinger.

Chief Financial Officer Dean Broadhead will oversee contractual matters while former WWE executive Bruce Prichard will handle Taylor’s remaining duties.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #890 on: May 31, 2011, 08:24:47 AM »

I agree.

I don’t think he would have developed/evolved much more simply because he didn’t “have to.”
He was pushed all the way with limited ability AND a limited understanding of the business.
Like Hellwig, Bill thought he “knew” everything; he was just nicer about it.

But, several guys tried to make suggestions to him during his run, and the reasoning just never clicked.
Although he wasn’t a dick, I suspect BG still had the mentality: “Why should I listen to you? I became the biggest star in the company doing things my way.”

Things probably would have been a little different had he been an underneath guy who was looking to improve.
In that instance, I suspect he would’ve been willing & eager to develop.

Scott Vick spoke very highly of Greenturd when I used to talk to him.  He talked him into doing the spear where he came off the rope the first time.  He was worried about hurting him, but Vick talked him into doing it.

Goldberg gave Vick a long two count that was neither planned or known to anybody but him.  He was very appreciative of that.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #891 on: May 31, 2011, 10:22:56 AM »
Scott Vick spoke very highly of Greenturd when I used to talk to him.  He talked him into doing the spear where he came off the rope the first time.  He was worried about hurting him, but Vick talked him into doing it.

Goldberg gave Vick a long two count that was neither planned or known to anybody but him.  He was very appreciative of that.

That may be Goldberg's biggest attribute: he was NOT an asshole.
Being a nice dude goes a long way sometimes.
If Bill had the personality of a Hellwig, I suspect that guys who worked with him would be a lot more critical of him.

Even Bret "went easy" on him in his book...and look what BG did to him!!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #892 on: June 02, 2011, 06:16:07 PM »
LOP.net

Chris Sabin will be sidelined until 2012 after tearing both the ACL and MCL in his knee during a match last month on iMPACT!. He underwent surgery on his injured knee earlier this month.

Sabin suffered the injury during a match against Anarquia at the April 20 iMPACT! taping. He went for a springboard clothesline and tweaked his knee when the Mexican America member was out-of-position to receive the maneuver. The referee was instructed to end the match when it appeared Sabin was injured

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #893 on: June 02, 2011, 06:37:18 PM »
According to Wrestle Zone, TNA/Impact superstar Mick Foley was fired at the end of taping for this week’s episode of Impact Wrestling.

It was obviously a gimmick and Foley is still part of the TNA team, but we could be seeing a change in the guards at TNA.

Foley was helping to control the show as a network executive, but it looks like that all has changed with the recent firing
________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _
According to Meltzer, TNA is upset about his "empty arena" joke.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #894 on: June 02, 2011, 06:45:32 PM »
According to Meltzer, TNA is upset about his "empty arena" joke.

It was a pretty stupid thing to post.

I believe that, in his books, he made similar jabs regarding WCW shows, but it might not be a good idea to say that about the company you're currently working for.
 :-\

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #895 on: June 03, 2011, 05:38:04 AM »

It was a pretty stupid thing to post.

I believe that, in his books, he made similar jabs regarding WCW shows, but it might not be a good idea to say that about the company you're currently working for.
 :-\
Ya that wasn't to bright on Foley's part.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #896 on: June 03, 2011, 01:43:33 PM »
Perhaps his jabs are just a part of the "work" of him being fired?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #897 on: June 04, 2011, 10:05:20 AM »
pwinsider-

All signs point to the announcement that Mick Foley had been "fired" on Impact Wrestling as his storyline exit from TNA. I am told that while Foley's deal with the company expires in September, internally, he was pretty much considered done and wouldn't be back.
It was pretty obvious based on Foley's Twitter comments (referring to TNA house shows as "Empty Arena Matches", among others) that he likely knew he was towards the end of that run.

While it was never spoken publicly, there was a sense of disenchantment and frustration from both sides about the relationship. TNA never really tapped into or promoted many of Foley's outside passion projects, while some within the company dismissed him as being hard to work with.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #898 on: June 04, 2011, 06:51:39 PM »
...some within the company dismissed him as being hard to work with.

I can believe that.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #899 on: June 04, 2011, 09:02:17 PM »
Mick Foley asked for his TNA release, due to creative differences. That is the reason he was written out of the network angle on Thursday's Impact.

Credit: WrestlingObserver.com