Author Topic: Breckenridge, Colorado may legalize pot next week  (Read 4936 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Breckenridge, Colorado may legalize pot next week
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 07:01:35 PM »
right, but the point is, from city perspective it's legal to a point.  Of course those other factors coming into play to confuse things.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 07:03:45 PM »
oooh, I found a map :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Places_that_have_decriminalized_non-medical_marijuana_in_the_United_States

In 1975, Alaska removed all penalties for possession of cannabis under 28.349 grams (one ounce) in one's residence or home. Sale of less than 28.349 grams is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail and up to a $5,000 fine;[1] at the time, in most states sale of less than 28.349 grams was a felony offense.

With the 1975 Ravin v. State decision, the Alaska Supreme Court declared the state's anti-drug law unconstitutional with respect to possession of small amounts of cannabis, holding that the right to privacy guaranteed by the Constitution of Alaska outweighed the state's interest in banning the drug.[2] Ravin continues to be followed since the Alaska constitution has not been amended to prohibit, or permit the prohibition of, less than 28.349 grams of cannabis, an anti-cannabis initiative passed in 1990 and an anti-cannabis piece of legislation passed in 2006 remain inoperative.[3][4][5] This allows possession of fewer than 25 plants in one's residence or home.[1]

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
right, but the point is, from city perspective it's legal to a point.  Of course those other factors coming into play to confuse things.

Legal for medical purposes with a prescription.  In no time at all, if it's not already, it will be like California.  It looks like Colorado is going through growing pains so to speak and are making adjustments.  That's what goes on here in Cali from time to time with each city/county.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »
Legal for medical purposes with a prescription.  In no time at all, if it's not already, it will be like California.  It looks like Colorado is going through growing pains so to speak and are making adjustments.  That's what goes on here in Cali from time to time with each city/county.

ok, I missed that part.  Where did it say for medical purposes?  And also, explain Alaska?  posted above.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »
oooh, I found a map :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Places_that_have_decriminalized_non-medical_marijuana_in_the_United_States

In 1975, Alaska removed all penalties for possession of cannabis under 28.349 grams (one ounce) in one's residence or home. Sale of less than 28.349 grams is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail and up to a $5,000 fine;[1] at the time, in most states sale of less than 28.349 grams was a felony offense.

With the 1975 Ravin v. State decision, the Alaska Supreme Court declared the state's anti-drug law unconstitutional with respect to possession of small amounts of cannabis, holding that the right to privacy guaranteed by the Constitution of Alaska outweighed the state's interest in banning the drug.[2] Ravin continues to be followed since the Alaska constitution has not been amended to prohibit, or permit the prohibition of, less than 28.349 grams of cannabis, an anti-cannabis initiative passed in 1990 and an anti-cannabis piece of legislation passed in 2006 remain inoperative.[3][4][5] This allows possession of fewer than 25 plants in one's residence or home.[1]

I think the wiki entry is misleading:

For Alaska:

http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4522

For Cali

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=4525

Point is, we can call it legal when it can be possessed, bought and sold, like booze or cigarettes.  Far from it yet.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2009, 07:17:39 PM »
Point is, we can call it legal when it can be possessed, bought and sold, like booze or cigarettes.  Far from it yet.
actually I didn't know that's what the point was.  I think we all knew that and you're right.  Just didn't know that's what we were talking about.  Posts on the first page suggest we were not.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2009, 07:20:54 PM »
actually I didn't know that's what the point was.  I think we all knew that and you're right.  Just didn't know that's what we were talking about.  Posts on the first page suggest we were not.

Yeah, been following Pots laws for a few weeks that's why the original article didn't make sense to me.

If you ever want to read up on current news here's a pretty good site:

http://www.cannabisnews.com/

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2009, 07:21:02 PM »
I will say I was wrong in my post where I said the feds or state must be the ones to bust since Denver police are still busting on the state law.  I didn't know that part, but the points still stand for the local level, it's just that the law is trumped.  I still think there is validity in passing the local laws.  Obviously the state and federal laws will have a harder time standing with all the local laws against them.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2009, 07:23:46 PM »
Yeah, been following Pots laws for a few weeks that's why the original article didn't make sense to me.

If you ever want to read up on current news here's a pretty good site:

http://www.cannabisnews.com/

I don't really care that much about it.  Just think it's very stupid to toss someone in jail for smoking pot.  I'd be much more interested in seeing hemp legal.  apparently you can do a lot of shit with that stuff and it looks like it would be a great crop for farmers with so many uses.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2009, 07:25:18 PM »
I will say I was wrong in my post where I said the feds or state must be the ones to bust since Denver police are still busting on the state law.  I didn't know that part, but the points still stand for the local level, it's just that the law is trumped.  I still think there is validity in passing the local laws.  Obviously the state and federal laws will have a harder time standing with all the local laws against them.

It's a weird time we are in.  I have friends who have Cannabis cards, who tell me it's no different than shopping.  Many clubs will even deliver.  When i was a Kid in the late 70's early 80's it was such a taboo criminal thing to do.

I predict in 3-5 years you will see a state legalize it.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »
I don't really care that much about it.  Just think it's very stupid to toss someone in jail for smoking pot.  I'd be much more interested in seeing hemp legal.  apparently you can do a lot of shit with that stuff and it looks like it would be a great crop for farmers with so many uses.

Yeah, me too.  I think it's stupid for people to go to jail for pot.  I'm researching it now, because there might be a business opportunity in it.  I think we are in a time similar to the years leading up to prohibition being over turned.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2009, 07:32:58 PM »
It's a weird time we are in.  I have friends who have Cannabis cards, who tell me it's no different than shopping.  Many clubs will even deliver.  When i was a Kid in the late 70's early 80's it was such a taboo criminal thing to do.

I predict in 3-5 years you will see a state legalize it.  
I wonder what can be done about what the cops are doing in denver?  How can the voters pass an innitiative in Denver making pot the lowest priority for cops and have cops retaliate by increasing marijuana arrests?  The article says in 2007 they past that additional innitiative and the cops responded by increasing arrests.  The cops can just up and say, fuck you voters?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2009, 07:34:25 PM »
Yeah, me too.  I think it's stupid for people to go to jail for pot.  I'm researching it now, because there might be a business opportunity in it.  I think we are in a time similar to the years leading up to prohibition being over turned.
wow, that's balls...  I wouldn't have the guts to do that.  cool Ozmo. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
I wonder what can be done about what the cops are doing in denver?  How can the voters pass an innitiative in Denver making pot the lowest priority for cops and have cops retaliate by increasing marijuana arrests?  The article says in 2007 they past that additional innitiative and the cops responded by increasing arrests.  The cops can just up and say, fuck you voters?

I donno.  but here are Colorado's state laws:

http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4526

So they have ways to bust you unless you have a card.  There are many instances in the US where people get busted even with cards and have to fight it, some winning and others losing.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
wow, that's balls...  I wouldn't have the guts to do that.  cool Ozmo. 

Thanks man,  I'm only doing it if its 100% Legal.  I'm just thinking, it's going to be legal sooner or later.  Why not provide and profit?

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2009, 07:47:57 PM »
ozmo, what is the limit on the number of plants you can cultivate for personal use

im pretty sure you can grow hundreds of plants if youre a club owner or supplier ect.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2009, 08:03:53 PM »
ozmo, what is the limit on the number of plants you can cultivate for personal use

im pretty sure you can grow hundreds of plants if youre a club owner or supplier ect.

In california it varies from county to county. The State Law says, 6 plants and 12 seedlings.  But some counties allow for more.  I believe NAPA county is 20 plants, Places like Humbolt and Mendecino is more. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2009, 03:45:40 PM »
By Kristen Wyatt, The Associated Press
Source: Associated Press

cannabis Breckenridge, Colo. -- Voters in this Rocky Mountain resort town will decide Tuesday whether to legalize pot for all adults at a time when the movement to allow medical marijuana is gaining steam around the country.

A measure before Breckenridge voters in a municipal election would legalize possession of up to 1 ounce of marijuana along with bongs, pipes and other pot paraphernalia. Supporters of the measure say it would inch the whole state closer to full legalization.

Other cities around the country have taken similar action in recent years, including a measure in Denver that decriminalized possession.

Local ordinances to allow some recreational marijuana use have passed in Seattle, San Francisco and other cities, though in all those places the law is considered symbolic because it conflicts with state and federal laws. Alaska allows possession of up to 4 ounces of marijuana in one's home, and advocates in California want to ask voters in next year's election to legalize pot.

Advocates say the Breckenridge proposal goes further than others because it allows paraphernalia as well.

"I don't think there's anywhere else in the country that has legalized paraphernalia," said Bruce Mirken, a spokesman for the Washington-based Marijuana Policy Project.

As in most states, drug-paraphernalia possession in Colorado is considered a petty offense. Though "head shops" selling bongs and pipes are common in Colorado, the wares are ostensibly for smoking tobacco. Paraphernalia charges are usually only filed along with possession charges. Both are misdemeanors punishable by a $100 fine and court fees.

The penalties aren't serious, but about 100 people a year in Breckenridge are cited for possession of either marijuana or paraphernalia, often both. Supporters of the effort say it's not right to leave small-time pot smokers with a criminal record.

"We don't want to spend our tax dollars prosecuting this, so we're saying, let's just stop it," said Sean McAllister, a Breckenridge attorney who proposed the ordinance.

Supporters include a member of the town council and the Summit Daily News, which printed an editorial backing the idea.

Its prospects are strong. In 2006, a statewide ballot measure to make marijuana possession legal failed 59 percent to 41 percent. But among Breckenridge voters it won almost 3-to-1.

McAllister's attempt to put the legalization measure on ballots needed 495 signatures. He collected more than 1,500.

Breckenridge Police Chief Rick Holman has opposed the idea, saying the measure just sets up a conflict between town and state law.

Pot possession would still be a state crime, but Breckenridge police officers would have to take users to the Summit County Sheriff's Department to be cited if the measure passes.

Critics also point out that Colorado already allows marijuana for medicinal use — though debate rages because pot shops aren't regulated by the state and are proliferating.

This week, Summit County imposed a 120-day moratorium on new medical-marijuana dispensaries in unincorporated areas so it can figure out how to regulate them.

The debate is playing out around the country as states struggle to figure out how to regulate and enforce medical-marijuana laws.

The federal government complicated matters earlier this month when the Justice Department told federal prosecutors that targeting medical-marijuana users who comply with state laws was not a good use of their time.

Nancy Skaj, a clerk at a Breckenridge grocery, said the measure could be a boon for ski tourists who don't have clearance for medical marijuana.

"With all the injuries people get skiing up here, instead of popping pills, they should just be doing this. It's a lot more natural," she said.

Backers have one main worry — the measure's timing.

Turnout for off-year municipal elections is often extremely light among Breckenridge's 3,300 or so voters. Election Day falls during the quiet weeks before the ski business picks up.

Source: Associated Press (Wire)
Author: Kristen Wyatt, The Associated Press
Published: November 2, 2009
Copyright: 2009 The Associated Press