Author Topic: Routine After Stronglifts 5x5 Help  (Read 5919 times)

Godric

• Getbig I
Routine After Stronglifts 5x5 Help
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:02:02 PM »
I am currently doing Stronglifts 5x5 (variation)
http://stronglifts.com/

Basically it is:

Work Out A:
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Rows  5x5
Reverse Crunches 3XF

Work Out B:
Squat 5x5
Shoulder Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Crunches 3XF

I work out 3 times a week....ABA, next week BAB, etc.

I have a power rack, olympic barbell and weight plates, plus dumbbells.

I know that this program is designed to build a solid strength foundation, but as I approach the time to change up the program, I want to do more of a mass building program for size. How can I alter my program to do this based on the equipment I have?

Could I use the same set up excerises basically with different rep and set ranges? Do I need to add anything? Change it up? Maybe substitute some of the movements I am doing with barbell for dumbbells for a few weeks?

I know diet is key to mass gains, eating lots of healthy foods...lots of calories. I just want to make sure my routine is setup correctly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Yev33

• Getbig III
Re: Routine After Stronglifts 5x5 Help
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 08:55:39 PM »
Are you still making strength gains? Is your bodyweight still going up and you are still putting on muscle? Why change a routine that's working. The 5x5 routine that you are doing is a great routine and I would strongly advise you against switching it up before your progress stalls on it. Don't fall into the trap of going into a more specialized high volume routine just because you feel that you have to, based on what muscle magazines say and what the pro's do. Any routine that is giving you weekly progress is golden, and you should ride it out. It won't last forever but the gains that you make from it will.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 08:56:04 PM »
On another forum I read where 5x5 is very popular (the board is geared towards lifting newbies), a lot of people have been following it up with (A) a high-volume bodybuilding routine, or (B) Jim Wendler's 5/3/1.  Google "Wendler 5 3 1" for better descriptions than I'll be able to give.  5/3/1 is geared more towards strength than mass I think.

Good luck!

edit: I also agree with the previous post.  Stick with your current program until you stop progressing.  No need to fix what's not broken.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 09:00:14 PM »
On another forum I read where 5x5 is very popular (the board is geared towards lifting newbies), a lot of people have been following it up with (A) a high-volume bodybuilding routine, or (B) Jim Wendler's 5/3/1.  Google "Wendler 5 3 1" for better descriptions than I'll be able to give.  5/3/1 is geared more towards strength than mass I think.

Good luck!

edit: I also agree with the previous post.  Stick with your current program until you stop progressing.  No need to fix what's not broken.

Yes, 5/3/1 after you stall out on 5x5 is an exellent idea, that will keep you growing and getting stronger for at least a year.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 12:57:20 AM »
I agree with the above post about why fix whats not broke, however maybe if you have gotten bored with the same lifts there are a few things that you could substitute for ex:
Workout A
Squats
DB Bench Press
Barbell Rows

Workout B
Clean & Press
Close Grip Press
SL Deads
You can maintain the 5X5 and change up the lifts a little bit but still hitting most of the big lifts.  Good luck bro.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 08:38:18 AM »
I understand where Godric is coming from.  Lifting can be as much a mental pursuit as a physical one. And  changing a successful program, even slightly, can give a fresher approach to workouts.  All the compound  exercises in his 5X5 scheme are tops for strength. Though a lot of guy's do not always gain much in the way of increased muscle mass following all this.

Might try shifting to a more set/rep type of program for muscle size. Old saying in BB'ing (from the glory day's of Muscle Beach...I had been told), "More blood, more muscle". In other words, encourage the pump more. Which does not mean that you have to use wimp weight for pump outs only.  All this while keeping those core movements you are doing now. Something like 6X7-10, 8X8's, etc.  Even 10X10's (GVT), one of my favorite change of pace workouts. Experiment with these and others. As a general rule, 90 seconds between sets. Or 120 seconds max for BB'ing style training.

With the PR you have, you may have hit the mother load as far as strength and size go. Exceptional equipment, probably best (for me anyway) when using partial rep training with it. Little too long (even for me)to explain here, so might want to do a search on that style of training.

Keeping the original A & B plan alive, I would tweak the B workout a bit. Keeping the A plan intact. Something like:

1)Hack BB squats. Think of it akin to a reverse DL, but hitting the legs much better. (one of my favorite leg movements)
2)Shoulder press. May alternate it a bit by doing sitting presses. Consider push/jerk presses from time to time.
3)Upright rows, remembering to keep the bar close to the body at all times. Guy's who run into trouble with this movement tend to lift the bar too far out and away from the body. Inviting undo stress on the shoulder joints. If uprights not your thing, than Hi-pulls by all means.

As far a diet goes; lower carbs and high quality calories. No big secret about gaining pure muscle mass over just getting fat. Good Luck.
F

Big-C

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 11:15:53 AM »
 Trust me, if your still gettin gains from the workouit dont change it.... If it aint broke dont fix it...

Slin1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 03:42:42 PM »
I am currently doing Stronglifts 5x5 (variation)
http://stronglifts.com/

Basically it is:

Work Out A:
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Rows  5x5
Reverse Crunches 3XF

Work Out B:
Squat 5x5
Shoulder Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Crunches 3XF

I work out 3 times a week....ABA, next week BAB, etc.

I have a power rack, olympic barbell and weight plates, plus dumbbells.

I know that this program is designed to build a solid strength foundation, but as I approach the time to change up the program, I want to do more of a mass building program for size. How can I alter my program to do this based on the equipment I have?

Could I use the same set up excerises basically with different rep and set ranges? Do I need to add anything? Change it up? Maybe substitute some of the movements I am doing with barbell for dumbbells for a few weeks?

I know diet is key to mass gains, eating lots of healthy foods...lots of calories. I just want to make sure my routine is setup correctly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm thinking about something similar but wat about the calvs and hams? The hams should get a little work from the squats but you got to work the calvs to make them grow yes? Also if i would do a few sets of arm training would not be bad eather don't you think? maybe 3sets of bi and 3 sets of tri
Money drugs and bitches

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 08:47:51 PM »
I'm thinking about something similar but wat about the calvs and hams? The hams should get a little work from the squats but you got to work the calvs to make them grow yes? Also if i would do a few sets of arm training would not be bad eather don't you think? maybe 3sets of bi and 3 sets of tri

Don't add in any hamstring work, they'll get enough work from full deep squats and the deadlifts.  Throw in some calf work if you want, but you don't want your overall training volume to be too high as the whole point of this type of program is to add weight to the big lifts which will lead to more overall mass gains.  If you add in some arm training, yes just 3 sets each for bis and tris and only on friday as you will have 2 days to recover.

Slin1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »
Her is my thing I'm gonna try. It's alost the same

Work Out A:
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Rows  5x5
Calvs 5XF

Work Out B:
Squat 5x5
Shoulder Press 5x5
Deadlift 2x5
Crunches 3XF
Grip training 1set faliure

Work out C
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Rows  5x5
Tricep work 3 set 5-10
Bicep work 3set 5-10

But i change all the5*5 to pyramid from "12-4" Faliure on the final set and the others close to faliure
Money drugs and bitches