Author Topic: Bodybuilding vs MMA  (Read 9863 times)

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
Re: Bodybuilding vs MMA
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 02:03:48 PM »
I never lost any muscle when I started doing MMA. In fact, the change in type of exercises and the sparring and wrestling made me more defined.

• Girls don't like guys who look like they are roided out.
  • You can be a bodybuilder and still have good cardio health.
  • Bodybuilders can't eat as much as they like
  • MMA isn't necessarily "healthy", but compared to pro bodybuilding it is very healthy.

Swede. When I first started running I got terrible shin splints. Just stop running until it heals, then run again. Continue this. After several months you don't get them anymore. This happens because of weak calve bones. The impact breaks down the bone and creates tiny fractures.

Also, invest in some decent running shoes.

spinnis

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 02:05:53 PM »
Swede. When I first started running I got terrible shin splints. Just stop running until it heals, then run again. Continue this. After several months you don't get them anymore. This happens because of weak calve bones. The impact breaks down the bone and creates tiny fractures.

trust me I have tried lol.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 02:06:42 PM »
Well id have to lose about 2stone I reckon to be fit enough to fight a full 5minute round to the best of my ability

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 02:08:10 PM »
trust me I have tried lol.

No. It takes several months. You run a few miles and then get calve pains and rest a week or two and then do it again. You do this for several months until the time needed to rest before running a few miles again gets to a few days and then a single day and then nothing. Ideally you should be able to run several miles a day, each day, at least.

But it takes a lot of time and patience. Just be persistent.

When I first started my calve bones hurt to the touch. Now they are built up from impact and are strong.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 02:09:04 PM »
Swede, does the pain go away while excercising or get worse?  Also, do your feet tingle? 

spinnis

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 02:11:32 PM »
No. It takes several months. You run a few miles and then get calve pains and rest a week or two and then do it again. You do this for several months until the time needed to rest before running a few miles again gets to a few days and then a single day and then nothing. Ideally you should be able to run several miles a day, each day, at least.

But it takes a lot of time and patience. Just be persistent.

When I first started my calve bones hurt to the touch. Now they are built up from impact and are strong.

at one point I tried doing so, and I couldnt walk normal for months because of the weeks..

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 02:12:28 PM »
at one point I tried doing so, and I couldnt walk normal for months because of the weeks..

Just keep up at it.

Also remember to stretch at least 5 minutes before a run. Especially the calves.

spinnis

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 02:14:05 PM »
Swede, does the pain go away while excercising or get worse?  Also, do your feet tingle? 

I dont feel it during squat actually, but legpress with my feet low on the "board" hurts like a BITCH after a rep or two

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 02:18:58 PM »
I dont feel it during squat actually, but legpress with my feet low on the "board" hurts like a BITCH after a rep or two

If it never feels like it loosens up, Coach is probably right.  You should look into the CCS.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 08:44:29 PM »
I never lost any muscle when I started doing MMA. In fact, the change in type of exercises and the sparring and wrestling made me more defined.

• MMA isn't necessarily "healthy", but compared to pro bodybuilding it is very healthy.

No way you can do both successfully.  First off, when doing stand up, you will need your shoulder girdle to be as flexible as possible.  Something lots of "bodybuilding" inhibits.  When doing sub grappling, bjj, wrestling, you won't be able to lift heavy if sparring consistently. 

I've lost 20 lbs in the last two years, most of it muscle.  When I went from a 2-3 times a week trainer to someone who competes every three to four months, your body will shed any unnecessary muscle mass.  Grappling is anaerobic, so trying to prepare for it by doing LSD cardio is ineffectual.  Mat time is what will condition you.  Same thing as stand up.  You will have to change your strength and conditioning program to match your desired goals.  Doens't mean you can't be muscular, just means that if you are a successful competitive bodybuilder, you can't be a successful competitive combat athlete. 

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 12:04:56 AM »

with arch supports, that may also be it. Also he can try strengthening his shin muscles, buy like sticking his foot underneath the stove and raising his foot, or putting a weight (that he can stand) and lifting the foot. Or try a bucket of sand...these were methods my track and lifting coaches told me in high school. And they worked.

I had shin splints sooo bad that after practice I would be clutching my shins in agony.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 06:48:54 AM »
I guess you could do both half-arsed but to do one properly you would have to drop or sevely tone down the other

Bodybuilding
Pros: Girls love muscle (here anyway),being strong is great,eat as much as you like,big arms are every guys dream to have
Cons: Gear costs quite a bit,cardiovascularly unfit,restrictive lifestyle,training can sometimes be a pain in the ass

MMA
Pros: Great fun to do,makes you incredibly fit,learning something new every session,healhier lifestyle
Cons: Lose a lot of your muscle,get niggling injuries quite a bit

Injuries can make you black?!!?  :)

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 11:27:17 AM »
No way you can do both successfully.  First off, when doing stand up, you will need your shoulder girdle to be as flexible as possible.  Something lots of "bodybuilding" inhibits.  When doing sub grappling, bjj, wrestling, you won't be able to lift heavy if sparring consistently. 

I've lost 20 lbs in the last two years, most of it muscle.  When I went from a 2-3 times a week trainer to someone who competes every three to four months, your body will shed any unnecessary muscle mass.  Grappling is anaerobic, so trying to prepare for it by doing LSD cardio is ineffectual.  Mat time is what will condition you.  Same thing as stand up.  You will have to change your strength and conditioning program to match your desired goals.  Doens't mean you can't be muscular, just means that if you are a successful competitive bodybuilder, you can't be a successful competitive combat athlete. 

You don't have to compete to be a bodybuilder. (or a mixed martial artist)

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2009, 01:36:27 PM »
No way you can do both successfully.  First off, when doing stand up, you will need your shoulder girdle to be as flexible as possible.  Something lots of "bodybuilding" inhibits.  When doing sub grappling, bjj, wrestling, you won't be able to lift heavy if sparring consistently.  

I've lost 20 lbs in the last two years, most of it muscle.  When I went from a 2-3 times a week trainer to someone who competes every three to four months, your body will shed any unnecessary muscle mass.  Grappling is anaerobic, so trying to prepare for it by doing LSD cardio is ineffectual.  Mat time is what will condition you.  Same thing as stand up.  You will have to change your strength and conditioning program to match your desired goals.  Doens't mean you can't be muscular, just means that if you are a successful competitive bodybuilder, you can't be a successful competitive combat athlete.  

Good post.....quick question how come there's certian mma fighting that look like they could do both like snowman and others that I just cant remember right now..........Genetics? roids? just curious.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 02:00:11 PM »
Genetics most likely,

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2009, 11:53:37 PM »
Genetics most likely,

And the ability to beat the athletic commsion tests.   ;D  Josh Barnett looks like chit, yet has been popped, as has Timmay.  Just goes to show you that you don't have to be aesthetic to be on gear.