Author Topic: Televisions: When it comes to HD LCD Tv, how is Vizio?  (Read 15010 times)

HICKSON

• Getbig IV
  • Bunch of slack-jaw fagg0ts round here.
Re: When it comes to HD LCD Tv, how is Vizio?
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 08:52:53 AM »
If you can understand and remember all this shit you should go to med school.  Seriously, where the fuck does anyone even go to learn all this crap, and why bother?

Dude I was the smartest man alive.......

Then I logged onto GetBig.
Giving 110%

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 12:13:49 PM »
Dude I was the smartest man alive.......

Then I logged onto GetBig.

LMFAO!  Well played ;D

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 01:38:59 PM »

On a serious note - which television would be best - for simple viewing and for Wii gaming...  from Costco... want to get one very soon for the kids...

1) Toshiba 46" 1080P Full HD LCD HDTV w/ ClearFrame 120Hz - Resolution: 1920 x 1080 Gaming Mode, DynaLight™ & Energy Star Rated

2) Vizio XVT Series 47" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV Resolution: 1920 x 1080

3) Sony Bravia 40" 1080p Motionflow™ 120Hz LCD HDTV - Resolution: 1920 x 1080

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 02:12:41 PM »
On a serious note - which television would be best - for simple viewing and for Wii gaming...  from Costco... want to get one very soon for the kids...

1) Toshiba 46" 1080P Full HD LCD HDTV w/ ClearFrame 120Hz - Resolution: 1920 x 1080 Gaming Mode, DynaLight™ & Energy Star Rated

1080 is nice only if using a PS3 or blu ray.  Most people watching TV at home can get along fine with a cheapo 720p.  720 and 1080i have their pluses and minuses.

Here's a hint.  Only two or three factories worldwide actually make the LCD screens and most of the parts.  So all of these vendors buy their shit from the same place. 

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Televisions: When it comes to HD LCD Tv, how is Vizio?
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 02:25:42 PM »

But want to seriously know which one is the best for the value.  I need the 1080p because out here, we actually have HD programming for about 15 channels via Time Warner at 1080.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 02:37:50 PM »
I would go with the Sony. Sony makes the best panel by far and is going to give you the brightest picture and realistic flesh tones. Sony gives you a lot more in terms of connectivity and has a built in surround system and gives you the best sound of the 3 as well as a PC input and usb drive. Toshiba is the worst of the 3 IMO

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 03:01:55 PM »

Damn kids have it so much better these days. My first television was a little 13 inch black and white with the turn knobs for channels and volume....

uberman09

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 03:06:18 PM »
Damn kids have it so much better these days. My first television was a little 13 inch black and white with the turn knobs for channels and volume....
yeah but they re stupider and cant do shit with their own hands.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 03:12:41 PM »
yeah but they re stupider and cant do shit with their own hands.

Yep.

My little cousin has been using GPS navigator since he first started driving 2 years ago at the age of 16...he moved in his current neighborhood about 2 years ago also.

He doesn't even know how to get home from a few blocks away from his usual route without his GPS, on top of that he can barely even read a standard Mapsco map.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 03:36:07 PM »
BRAD 74:

I "rented", bought/returned a 40" Samsung LED, 600 series, I believe. After going back to my plasma, it was obvious how much smoother the picture was. The downside with plasma...BURN IN. They tell you all kinds of great things, pixel shifting technology, screen wipe, etc.

In short, if you leave your plasma tv on a pause menu for 30 minutes or so, consider your tv shot. I love the plasma picture and nothing beats it, but it's a terrible way to watch tv.  I never leave the room with it the tv on pause.  You'll play a video game for a bit, the next day, you'll see the health bars, clear as day, over time, they usually go away (image retention).

I'm sure most people burn in their plasmas, but are unaware of what they're seeing.  Probably just figure the picture is somewhat muddy.

So, Brad 74, what is your take on burn in and how prevalent is it in plasmas today? My buddy just got one and said his wife has the screen on pause all the time...I said, "I give it a month before it's fried."
N

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2009, 03:42:45 PM »
Plasmas are superior IMO.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 03:54:22 PM »
But want to seriously know which one is the best for the value.  I need the 1080p because out here, we actually have HD programming for about 15 channels via Time Warner at 1080.

1080i, which is interlaced and some would argue that 720p is just as nice.  1080p is not broadcasted in television and only can be seen via blu ray players.

1090p was an accidental discovery but isn't really a true standard.

1080i means that it shows you 540 lines interlaced at a time where 720p shows you 720 total lines at once without possible flicker that people see.

ABC, TNT and such broadcast at 1080i.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2009, 03:57:06 PM »
BRAD 74:
I "rented", bought/returned a 40" Samsung LED, 600 series, I believe.
After going back to my plasma, it was obvious how much smoother the picture was.
The downside with plasma...BURN IN.
They tell you all kinds of great things, pixel shifting technology, screen wipe, etc.

In short, if you leave your plasma tv on a pause menu for 30 minutes or so, consider your tv shot.
I love the plasma picture and nothing beats it, but it's a terrible way to watch tv.  I never leave the room with it the tv on pause.  You'll play a video game for a bit, the next day, you'll see the health bars, clear as day, over time, they usually go away (image retention).
I'm sure most people burn in their plasmas, but are unaware of what they're seeing.  Probably just figure the picture is somewhat muddy.

So, Brad 74, what is your take on burn in and how prevalent is it in plasmas today?
My buddy just got one and said his wife has the screen on pause all the time...I said, "I give it a month before it's fried."

Plasma is a horrible set for game play.  You can download DVDs that must be run for 24 hours or more that cycle through solid screen colors that help "wear in" the screen to help reduce the chance of burn in.

Lots of people complained at why stations like to have the static symbol at the bottom or score bars at the top.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2009, 04:52:24 PM »

Forget about Plasma televisions in California - California just passed a law on bigger television sets that must be energy compliant, thus LCD's are the way to go, especially since plasma does have that burn on various older sets.

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2009, 05:42:59 PM »
I have a 42" Vizio.  RJ said it best, if you are on a budget then Vizio is the best mid range out there.(Even better that Sanyo and Samsung if you ask me), but there is better out there.  My next one will probably be a Sony or a Phillips. 

Vizio is a sister company to Sony so they are of great value for the money.

Vizio, a sister company to Sony, prove it.  Sony dont play games like that.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2009, 05:53:30 PM »
I got a 74" Samsung LCD, amazing tv... got it at Costco, it's literally half the wall.. and in the bedroom a 56" toshiba LCD, both 1080p/1080i, Samsung has 3 HDMI in's, Toshiba has 2...

I recommend the Samsung, everyone seems to have them (everywhere I go) the one with the big blue power button in the midle.. I see them in doctor's offices, waiting rooms, hospitals, etc.

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2009, 06:04:01 PM »
 I'm playing MW2 on my PS3 connected to a 52" Sony bravia XBR 1080p.
 Sony rules.
Gracie Rules

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2009, 06:10:26 PM »
I bought a polaroid 'cause it had the word roid in it.. Do NOT buy this TV.. I filled a gym with these and every single one broke in less than 1 year..  No joke..

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2009, 07:08:54 PM »
I got a 74" Samsung LCD, amazing tv...

how much did that set you back?

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2009, 07:52:06 PM »
Plasma is a horrible set for game play.  You can download DVDs that must be run for 24 hours or more that cycle through solid screen colors that help "wear in" the screen to help reduce the chance of burn in.

Lots of people complained at why stations like to have the static symbol at the bottom or score bars at the top.
I probably have over 1000 hours viewed on my plasma now, so hopefully, video game burn in won't occur.
The first 200 hours, the phosphors burn the brightest, so that's where I saw a lot of screen retention.
Still, a silly way to watch a pristine picture.

Any LCD, LED, or plasma always look good alone.  Watch a LCD for a week, then watch a plasma...you'll notice the difference.  Much smoother, more life like picture, deeper blacks, better color.
N

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2009, 07:59:06 PM »
I'm playing MW2 on my PS3 connected to a 52" Sony bravia XBR 1080p.
 Sony rules.

Too bad it's on the PS network.  MW2 has more players playing online at any given time on XBox Live! than there were copies sold on the PS3.

But, I may be playing some PS3 soon.  After waiting over a year for a decent price drop on the Samsung LN52A650, the TV has become rare, and a tech favorite, so the price never really dropped.

Took advantage of the Boom deal and got a 52" Sony Bravia Z5100 , and they threw in a PS3 slim (no backwards compatibility  :'(), Little Big Planet, and a shitty blu-ray movie..  Was planning on using the PS3 just for a blu-ray player, but the media streaming capabilities on that thing seem awesome.  Still hate the controller though.  And seriously, how the fuck can Sony sell their next-gen HD system and give you fucking standard video cables instead of an HDMI cable?   WTF?

I'm still figuring out the best settings, but the picture looks very good.

I just need to get some HDMI cables from my cable company to compare them to the $100 monster cable that BB insisted I needed.  From everything I've read, you don't need it -it's a digital signal that gets there or doesn't.   If the cable shows a difference, I'll still return it and buy one from monoprice.
Y

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2009, 09:08:46 PM »

I just need to get some HDMI cables from my cable company to compare them to the $100 monster cable that BB insisted I needed.  From everything I've read, you don't need it -it's a digital signal that gets there or doesn't.   If the cable shows a difference, I'll still return it and buy one from monoprice.

I have read that unless the cable is 20ft or more, a $6 HDMI cable is as good as $100+ Monster HDMI. 

body88

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2009, 09:13:14 PM »
Ron, get the Sony...I have the 1080p Bravia and I love it.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2009, 11:49:07 PM »
how much did that set you back?

$2800 CAD, so around 2300-2400 USD I guess... worth every damn penny... my friends make that tv a point of conversation when introducing me...they say 'you won't believe how big this guy's tv is...'

lol

I have a ps3 and modded xbox 360 hooked up to it...harman kardon surround....magnificent.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2009, 12:16:16 AM »
Plasma may be superior, but LCD all the way.

Hate that frickin' BURN IN crap!
Q