Author Topic: Arnold's weak legs  (Read 7438 times)

The_Infidel

• Getbig III
  • Professor of Bro-Science
Arnold's weak legs
« on: November 11, 2009, 06:01:35 PM »
I'm really tired of hearing all the time that Arnold had toothpic legs.  It's baloney. Arnold had some of the best thighs in the business at that time and in my opinion he had the best calves ever.  His thighs were plenty big in 73 and 74.  The standard at that time was not to have have quads so big you can hardly walk.  

Most people who criticize Arnold's legs point to current bodybuilders as being "better".  It may be today's standard to have bodybuilders with gh guts, enormous legs and huge striated asses but that isn't what most would call better. That freakish bloated look is ridiculous and I think any rational person except for Getbig's permabulkers would agree.  This is one of the reasons that the sport has gone back to being an obscure freakshow instead the worthy pursuit that it was when Arnold popularized it in the 70s and 80's.  

Come at me Bro!

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Arnold's weak legs
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 06:05:24 PM »
In some photos he had very deep seperation in his legs.

Thats a great pic.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 06:07:21 PM »
Best calves ever is debatable but I agree that his legs were not a weakpoint.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 06:13:18 PM »
Just an observation: Serge Nubre had weaker legs in my opinion, but nobody criticizes him at bb.com (I think this site is relevant because it's so popular) because Serge used to write on that forum among others. Now we know Arnold will never do that so he is open for critique (and people like to bring down the champ  ;D) This will alter the perception and opinion of masses greatly.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »
Great shot.

Just an FYI,but Waller,Coe, and Dickerson had much better calves that Arnold back in the day,though Arnold brought up his calves bigtime.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 06:20:53 PM »
I'm really tired of hearing all the time that Arnold had toothpic legs.  It's baloney. Arnold had some of the best thighs in the business at that time and in my opinion he had the best calves ever.  His thighs were plenty big in 73 and 74.  That was the standard at that time was not to have have quads so big you can hardly walk. 

Most people who criticize Arnold's legs point to current bodybuilders as being "better".  It may be today's standard to have bodybuilders with gh guts, enormous legs and huge striated asses but that isn't what most would call better. That freakish bloated look is ridiculous and I think any rational person except for Getbig's permabulkers would agree.  This is one of the reasons that the sport has gone back to being an obscure freakshow instead the worthy pursuit that it was when Arnold popularized it in the 70s and 80's. 

Great post !

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 06:43:44 PM »

If you had that physique, would you sacrifice your gut to get even bigger legs? :)
Q

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 06:45:06 PM »
Yes, I would walk around performing a most-muscular at all times such that my gut was hidden 8)

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 06:52:07 AM »
Very balanced physique, fantastic upper body and good legs.

But bbing has evolved. It looked better then, but now, its about the preceding standard.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 12:42:33 PM »
totally agree and there is a pic of arnold right next to dickerson at the 80 olympia and even in arnolds smaller version his calves dwarfed chris's
I'm really tired of hearing all the time that Arnold had toothpic legs.  It's baloney. Arnold had some of the best thighs in the business at that time and in my opinion he had the best calves ever.  His thighs were plenty big in 73 and 74.  The standard at that time was not to have have quads so big you can hardly walk.  

Most people who criticize Arnold's legs point to current bodybuilders as being "better".  It may be today's standard to have bodybuilders with gh guts, enormous legs and huge striated asses but that isn't what most would call better. That freakish bloated look is ridiculous and I think any rational person except for Getbig's permabulkers would agree.  This is one of the reasons that the sport has gone back to being an obscure freakshow instead the worthy pursuit that it was when Arnold popularized it in the 70s and 80's.  

bigkubby

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 12:53:48 PM »
hIS BACK IS AS narrow as a flatSCREEN TV  :D
i

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 12:56:07 PM »
Just an observation: Serge Nubre had weaker legs in my opinion, but nobody criticizes him at bb.com (I think this site is relevant because it's so popular) because Serge used to write on that forum among others. Now we know Arnold will never do that so he is open for critique (and people like to bring down the champ  ;D) This will alter the perception and opinion of masses greatly.

Is serge still alive btw?

4000th post  :D
from incomplete data

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 12:56:25 PM »

great post. well said.
couldnt agree more.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 12:59:33 PM »

your like about three decades late .... but good post...
L

nukkaready

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 02:03:18 PM »
The Arnold of '73 & '74 was phenomenal. He is not getting enough credit for his '73 showing... sadly there are only very few pics of the Mr. Olympia 1973 floating around.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 02:18:11 PM »
Great shot.

Just an FYI,but Waller,Coe, and Dickerson had much better calves that Arnold back in the day,though Arnold brought up his calves bigtime.

add mentzer to those who bested A in calves

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 02:25:52 PM »
hIS BACK IS AS narrow as a flatSCREEN TV  :D
I've seen worse...

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
I've seen worse...

as have I
such as in my bathroom mirror today

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 02:46:06 PM »
as have I
such as in my bathroom mirror today

Did you need a 'hand' brushing your teeth?
from incomplete data

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 02:46:30 PM »
Actually Arnold himself acknowledged that his thighs and calves were his weak points.  If you scross to about 1:05 in this video you'll haer it from Arnold:

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 02:48:35 PM »
How`d oilbag Nasser get in this thread?

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 02:53:12 PM »
How`d oilbag Nasser get in this thread?

This thread is about Arnold's legs and whether or not they were weak.  I posted a clip where Arnold himself speaks on the issue and acknowledges that his thighs and calves were his weak points.  That's pretty much the most on-topic post in this thread, yet you're making it into another Nasser post?  ::)

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 02:56:37 PM »
were weak until he brought them up. He says this in pumping iron, he had weakpoints years ago but everything was evened out.
This thread is about Arnold's legs and whether or not they were weak.  I posted a clip where Arnold himself speaks on the issue and acknowledges that his thighs and calves were his weak points.  That's pretty much the most on-topic post in this thread, yet you're making it into another Nasser post?  ::)

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 03:06:02 PM »
chris's calves look awesome on their own but small even next to under par Arnold.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 03:11:24 PM »
Yes,but don`t forget Arnold was much much taller than Chris.