Author Topic: Abs frequency  (Read 1188 times)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
Abs frequency
« on: November 22, 2009, 03:31:38 PM »
How often do you broskis work your abs, and what have you had the most success with?  I personally find that frequent ab work is unnecessary if you do a lot of compound movements.  I usually do one or at most maybe two ab workouts a week, just three sets with the rope in the cable crossover tower.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Abs frequency
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 06:02:57 PM »
off season i train them after legs
2x25 hanging leg raises
wieghted crunches 2x25
oblique crunches   2x25

when i was getting ready for contest i trained them twice per week ten sets each in the morning. and two other days did cardio and posing practice first thing in the morning

ALLTRIS

• Getbig II
  • Venom Vince Versace
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 02:00:33 AM »
every 6 days i do the army test. as many regular ole sit-ups you can in 2 mins, followed by 3 sets to failure with the ab wheel, mix in some side bends and leg raises 9-12 total sets(plus the sit-ups) abs look better at 36 then they did at 26

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 12:37:02 AM »
I never used to train them at all after hearing that bodybuilders never train them directly  ::) I then began to wonder why I had no abs despite being reasonably lean.

I now train them twice at week at least, sometimes three times if I've got the energy at the end of a workout. Therefore, I now have abs.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 07:45:21 AM »
I personally find that frequent ab work is unnecessary if you do a lot of compound movements.

I never used to train them at all after hearing that bodybuilders never train them directly  Roll Eyes I then began to wonder why I had no abs despite being reasonably lean.

I never used to train my abs either, feeling the same way as the 1st quote above. I heard endless guys talking about "if you do compound movements, or regular movements heavy enough, the abs get enough stimulation and you do not have to do any direct ab work." That theory never worked for me.
It wasn't until I started last years lean out phase, that I realized the above never worked for me. So I started training abs and they're better than before, but still not where I'd like them to be.
Oddly enough, I use to carry my amplifiers around and have to do twists and turns with them, and my obliques/abs were pretty damn good then. Maybe isometrics are good for me?