Author Topic: Tipping  (Read 10081 times)

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
Re: Tipping
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2009, 05:20:39 PM »
One of my friends used to be a server at Earl's when he was younger, and he told me that over there (and at most restaurants) servers have to tip 5% of their total billings to the kitchen staff no matter what.  In other words, if a bill is $100, they must give $5 to the kitchen staff whether the customer tipped them $20, $10, or nothing, so if he got a 5% tip he would get nothing, and if he got a zero tip he would actually lose money.

He complained that the worst was large crowds, where the bill might be, say $400, and they tip $20 thinking "$20 is a decent tip" without realizing it's only 5%, and then he'd have to pay that 5% / $20 to the kitchen staff and in the end he spent a lot of time and effort serving a large table and got zero tips whereas he could have got much more if he spent that time serving several smaller tables.

...and he said backgrounds that have the worst rep for tipping are Asian...and East Indian second lol. 

I would say get a different job, I hate to hear servers complain out their ass about tipping, complain to the fucking restaurant who is responsible for paying you, not the customers. 
TEAM Nasser

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2009, 05:31:12 PM »
when a waiter or waitress is DAMN GOOD at their job, they get paid.

When they half-ass it, whine, complain, and act too busy to do their job, they can't cry about the tips. 

Personally, it seems like waiters were stronger 20 years ago.  Way too many distractions these days maybe?

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2009, 05:48:16 PM »
btw, and i hate to do the whole "ask the gay guy question about gay people" thing but, in relation to this thread, do gay diners catch on to when a straight male server is trying to subtly flirt with diners to get a better tip.

For example, when i used to wait tables and i knew the table was filled with gay guys, i would purposely flip a extra button off of my shirt or walk away in a way that i would make my ass more appealing
interesting

i thought G4P was strictly a bodybuilder thing
follow the arrows

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2009, 07:48:31 PM »
when a waiter or waitress is DAMN GOOD at their job, they get paid.

When they half-ass it, whine, complain, and act too busy to do their job, they can't cry about the tips. 

Personally, it seems like waiters were stronger 20 years ago.  Way too many distractions these days maybe?

They didn't have cell phones, twitter, facebook 20 years ago...well cell phones existed but no waiter could afford one..

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2009, 09:28:12 PM »
I tip more for professional anonymous service.  I don't care about your flare or your personality or what you think about the book Im reading or the conversations I'm having.  Be precise, prompt, get my order right and then leave me be.

I also tip more if the waiter is sensitive to my being a vegatarian.  For example, if I start off by ordering the veggie appetizer and you ask me if I'm a vegetarian or tell me about dishes to watch out for that might have meat or fish in the sauce.  That will get you nice tip.  If I've expressed that Im vegetarian and you 'fuck up' and bring me the dish with meat because the cook messed up or some shit you might as well go on to the next customer.

Also, when you gave me my CC receipt and glanced at it to learn my name and say thanks 'first name' for coming...not gonna get a good tip.  If use my last name you will...sort of like being cold called by salespeople you don't know who use your first name because they think they're being your buddy... >:( I come from the south where you use a persons first name after they invite you too. 

Also, I cant stand guys like my brother who start schmoozing the waitress with "darling" and "honey" like he just walked in and made her day...she had to wait on you fool you're at her table!  She doesn't want to fuck you or flirt with you but now she has to as you've put the tip amount on her "playing along" with your shit..ugh it pisses me off. 

man I hate humans today...

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2009, 11:26:48 PM »
if im sober i tip 20% of the bill.... now if im drunk i tip 60% of the tab.. i always wake up pissed the next day when i tip when i drink
real men= no rubbers

Lurker79

• Getbig III
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2009, 12:38:21 AM »
I would say get a different job, I hate to hear servers complain out their ass about tipping, complain to the fucking restaurant who is responsible for paying you, not the customers. 

Yeah, imagine that, someone complaining about their job. I'm sure you've never done that before ::)

Azn Muscle

• Getbig III
  • Team Nasser Forum at www.FavorMob.com/hugenasser
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2009, 02:08:06 AM »
As someone who used to wait tables in college, the standard is minimum 15-18% and more if you get good service.  Obviously this takes into the account that you got decent service and weren't completely ignored etc. by the waiter.

However if you got any sort of decent service you should at minimum tip 15%.

Most waiters have to share their tips with the bussers/hosts/cashiers etc (usually 3-5% of sales), so if you stiff them on a tip, basically serving you costed them money as they still have to tip out this 3-5%.

You shouldn't consider a tip as "extra".  If you can't afford 15% you pretty much shouldn't be eating out.  You should factor a tip into the cost of eating out.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2009, 02:15:24 AM »
Just to piss them off i will leave a 20cent tip.
No doubt about it...

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2009, 02:58:39 AM »
As of recent I've started tipping 20%...I will never tip over $100.00 that's my cap.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2009, 03:06:46 AM »
I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
P

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2009, 06:41:14 AM »
This whole thing is pathetic. You shouldn't consider tip "extra"? What the hell does that mean "Azn muscle"? You tip when they deserve it and that is it. You are saying that you're obligated to pay extra regardless? How fucking STUPID is that?  If they're polite, smile, give good service and so on you tip.
I think there is a misunderstanding here about how waiters are paid in america. They rely on getting tips here as they only get paid on the order of $2-3/hr by the restaurant.
follow the arrows

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2009, 06:58:09 AM »
I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

Exactly.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2009, 08:00:22 AM »
They are only paid $2-3/hr? I imagine they'd get paid 20$/hr on average here in Norway. In that case, I would certainly be a generous tipper in the US.
Yup, its very low. I'm sure after factoring in tips they make about the same as european waiters.
follow the arrows

Azn Muscle

• Getbig III
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2009, 10:45:30 AM »
Yes in many states in the US  waiters are paid "waiters wage" which is BELOW minimum wage (ie $2-3/hr) and the rest of their pay is made up from tips.  In other states it is min wage plus tips.

The majority of a waiters income come from tips.  Tipping though theoretically "optional" is understood considered "socially mandatory" if u get decent service.

Same with why gratuities exists for large parties. It's to prevent the waiter from getting dicked out by cheapasses.  Say you have some large party that occupies your whole section for your whole evening and the bill is $1000.  A gratuity prevents the waiter from getting screwed becuz at min he will have to give $30-50 away based on his sales to bussers/hosts etc.  So if you are a dick and leave only $20 instead of the gratuity, u actually cost the waiter money to wait on you.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2009, 10:49:19 AM »
Regarding restaurants
I always tip well, unless the service is absolutely horrible
I know how hard server's jobs are
I do, however,
give a much better tip if the waitress is good looking
this somewhat proves that better looking people make better money

how do others feel about leaving gratuities?
The only tip you provided all those boys you "helped" with their bodybuilding careers was the tip of your penis, moosejay.
!

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2009, 01:54:49 PM »
I'm gonna start a class for Bay and his friends on how they can be more "gay"
LMAO

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2009, 01:59:29 PM »
As someone who used to wait tables in college, the standard is minimum 15-18% and more if you get good service.  Obviously this takes into the account that you got decent service and weren't completely ignored etc. by the waiter.

However if you got any sort of decent service you should at minimum tip 15%.

Most waiters have to share their tips with the bussers/hosts/cashiers etc (usually 3-5% of sales), so if you stiff them on a tip, basically serving you costed them money as they still have to tip out this 3-5%.

You shouldn't consider a tip as "extra".  If you can't afford 15% you pretty much shouldn't be eating out.  You should factor a tip into the cost of eating out.

if you want it that way, like I said there should be a sign out front telling customers tipping 15% is mandatory, or else do not complain, because a tip is optional.  You are lucky most people pay their bill and don't dine and ditch.

TEAM Nasser

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2009, 02:02:56 PM »
They are only paid $2-3/hr? I imagine they'd get paid 20$/hr on average here in Norway. In that case, I would certainly be a generous tipper in the US.

or just don't apply for that job ever think of that???  So many suckers who think they will live on tips, when not all people believe in tipping these ridiculous amounts, paying for your damn food is enough FUCK!

TEAM Nasser

Azn Muscle

• Getbig III
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2009, 03:09:47 AM »
Actually it has been my experience that most people have no problem tipping these amounts.  It seems to
me you are part of the cheap douche minority. 

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2009, 03:53:34 AM »
i always tip. Unless the person is a girl/douche. I tip more at places i plan on eating again at. You guys that don't must like the special sauce. :-X
Anyway, i know a few chicks that were/are waitresses, they say that they hate waiting on Mexicans, from the country not mexican-americans, becuase they don't tip and some are very rude. culture thing?
A

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2009, 03:58:52 AM »
it's unbelievable that you guys HAVE TO tip
in germany you can but you don't have to

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2009, 04:00:27 AM »
it's unbelievable that you guys HAVE TO tip
in germany you can but you don't have to
At most places if you don't have a big party of people, tipping is an option.
A

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2009, 04:02:21 AM »
Myself and Des and our other friend go for a meal every monday night
If the service is good,we tip
Monday just gone,the service was not good and Des reckoned the restaurant manager hated him so instead of a tip Des spat on the money we paid for the meal with

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2009, 04:04:15 AM »
Myself and Des and our other friend go for a meal every monday night
If the service is good,we tip
Monday just gone,the service was not good and Des reckoned the restaurant manager hated him so instead of a tip Des spat on the money we paid for the meal with
lower class man.
A