Author Topic: Roy Jones just got knocked out  (Read 9767 times)

Hypo

• Getbig III
Re: Roy Jones just got knocked out
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 03:34:20 PM »
He's not a nobody, he knocked down the German world champ IN Germany in both the 1st and 2nd rounds, then got DQ'd for headbutting (fair call but doesn't take away his ability as a fighter). That decision hurt him badly. He is a very good fighter just because he's on the other end of the earth and you haven't heard much of him doesn't mean he's nothing.

Mundine put off the fight for years then only did it at a lighter weight class. Green was too weak in that fight because of it. Mundine just fights bums. He only fights for $$$ he doesn't get respect here in OZ. He picks his fights well because he knows he's not that great. Look at his last fight, only won because he fixed the judges, got his title stripped because of it and no there's a rematch......

So true about Mundine. Waste of space.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 03:51:57 PM »
What the fuck happened to him he used to be great gets his ass beat everytime he gets in the ring now...RIP

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 04:22:57 PM »
that fight was the biggest fix i have ever seen. how does roy jones in his last match talk while moving his head and not look at his opponent to getting fuked up by a nobody aussie boxer.

roy jones should quit boxing if he is going to take dives like that

its funny how green lost to mundine  and mundine fights like a shittier version of jones.
did you see the slowmo of the punch? he got nailed right on the temple and after that his legs were jelly...

guys shouldn't fight aged 40 plain and simple.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 06:53:24 PM »
before the antonio tarver fight some called him the best pound for pound fighter ever

he loses to tarver and he's no longer even in the argument

E
E

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 06:55:52 PM »
his overall fight resume is pretty poor in regards to the level of talent he fought....overrated....
DAWG

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 07:33:21 PM »
He's not a nobody, he knocked down the German world champ IN Germany in both the 1st and 2nd rounds, then got DQ'd for headbutting (fair call but doesn't take away his ability as a fighter). That decision hurt him badly. He is a very good fighter just because he's on the other end of the earth and you haven't heard much of him doesn't mean he's nothing.

Mundine put off the fight for years then only did it at a lighter weight class. Green was too weak in that fight because of it. Mundine just fights bums. He only fights for $$$ he doesn't get respect here in OZ. He picks his fights well because he knows he's not that great. Look at his last fight, only won because he fixed the judges, got his title stripped because of it and no there's a rematch......

i agree 100% that mundine is a bum. everyone who lives in australia knows this. but one thing i noticed when working at the event as a security guard was b-hops look on his face when he lost. he looked shocked because his plan was when jones defeated greene he has going to come in and call him out.

greene is not a shit fighter by any means but he is not in the same class as jones.  jones last fight looked like a prime jones then few months later he cant make it out of the 1st round. never in his career has he been stopped in the first round

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 08:53:45 PM »
Oh  I didn't know someone already posted this.   Delete mine then its an SOS!
((-::

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 10:19:14 PM »

man you have put it exactly as it is..the truth.

i want to add that Mundine "won" the fight not through good boxing, but rather good "evading"-like many of his other "wins".

Green is one of the honest guys of the sport- to all trying to rag on him, please dont..he's a rare, simple, hard working, loyal guy who competes at a level higher than his abilities through determination.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 10:23:33 PM »
did you see the slowmo of the punch? he got nailed right on the temple and after that his legs were jelly...

guys shouldn't fight aged 40 plain and simple.

ive seen loads of temple shots that havent caused a boxer to flinch. seeing a slo-mo of a temple shot isnt conclusive evidence of a legit KO. If it was square on the jaw then you might have a case.

Everyone going on about JJ being old and so on, remember that Green wasnt given a chance in this fight..the experts had him written off, and so did the other pro boxers. This isnt a soft victory at all.

cheftim

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 10:34:32 PM »
before the antonio tarver fight some called him the best pound for pound fighter ever

he loses to tarver and he's no longer even in the argument

E
He was. He's arguably the best P4P fight ever. Definitely top five. Roy Jones was untouchable. So untouchable the first time he was hit the show was over. Thats the way it goes for every fighter except for Marciano. They all go down the same road. Larry Holmes. Beat Ali. On the way to beating Marcianos record. Thinking he's taking an easy fight against Spinks. Looses twice. Gets destroyed by Tyson. Next thing you know he's fighting Butterbean. Legacy destroyed. They never know when to quit. I know a few things. How to cook a steak. And that Floyd Mayweather is going down that same exact road. NO ONE IS UNBEATABLE!

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 11:09:15 PM »
ive seen loads of temple shots that havent caused a boxer to flinch. seeing a slo-mo of a temple shot isnt conclusive evidence of a legit KO. If it was square on the jaw then you might have a case.

Everyone going on about JJ being old and so on, remember that Green wasnt given a chance in this fight..the experts had him written off, and so did the other pro boxers. This isnt a soft victory at all.
i'm just responding to people saying jones took a dive which I think is BS...

this punch rocked him which was evident when he tried to get up after it using the ropes and proceeded to fall to the left because his legs were gone... following the break the ref called soon after he wobbled to the ropes.

green was smart he jumped straight on him after the knockdown because he knew he couldn't let roy get his composure back.

http://media.smh.com.au/national/breaking-news/danny-green-shocks-roy-jones-jr-941986.html&exc_from=timeout

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 11:18:49 PM »
Good shit by Danny Green.  8)
No doubt about it...

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2009, 03:09:08 AM »
Roy did fight some scrubs, but to say he's overrated is taking the piss. He fought and beat some excellent fighters and when he was at smw he looked unbeatable. Never really looked the same after he came down from hw.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2009, 03:16:06 AM »
Roy did fight some scrubs, but to say he's overrated is taking the piss. He fought and beat some excellent fighters and when he was at smw he looked unbeatable. Never really looked the same after he came down from hw.

I still remember when Roy fought James Toney at Middleweight before they both moved up,  all the experts thought James was going to murder Roy.  Roy outclasses James completely. 

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 05:17:04 AM »

alot of people (fans that often don't know what there watching)have him as one of the best pound for pound fighters ever....most boxing experts don't even have him in there top ten of all time...that = overrated....look at the list of opponents out of 60 fights I can count on one hand the ones that were decent fighters....
DAWG

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2009, 05:28:24 AM »
alot of people (fans that often don't know what there watching)have him as one of the best pound for pound fighters ever....most boxing experts don't even have him in there top ten of all time...that = overrated....look at the list of opponents out of 60 fights I can count on one hand the ones that were decent fighters....

Beat an undefeated lb for lb no 1 at the time Toney, Hopkins, McCallum, knocked out Hill with a single body shot, came back from a defeat to knock out Griffin in one round, beat Traver, Trinidad and went up to hw to beat Ruiz.

Yeah, overrated.

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2009, 05:31:26 AM »
Roy! Paying them debts off, I see.

I cannot for the life of me, understand why/how these athletes continually get themselves into financial trouble.
Almost always, yes.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2009, 06:10:52 AM »

Also, even though he was probably the greatest figter of his generation he is an incredibly modest individual!

Get on your feet.. right now...

For Roy Jones Jr....

The best pound for pound fighter in the world...
Whoever don't agree... ya know what?

I guess - y'all musta forgot! ...

[Roy Jones Jr.]

When they stole my gold medal in Seoul, Korea

Let's look back at my whole career

Cuz y'all musta forgot! ....

The "best pound for pound" is mine

Hit Percy Harris with four hooks at one time

Y'all musta forgot! ....

When I beat Bernard Hopkins, and won the IBF

The right was hurt, beat him with the left

Y'all musta forgot! ....

You remember the left hook that James Toney got

Sucka move that I stole from a gamecock

Y'all musta forgot! ....

Will there be another Roy Jones? Probably not

Stopped Virgil Hill with a body shot

See y'all musta forgot! ....

I got disqualified in March of '97

After givin a whippin to Montell Griffin

Late hit - my title; they had to take it

Why? I guess that's the only way I could lose

Five months later; rematch, I needs my crown

First round, one punch and he sat down

Don't get me mad cuz I'm amped already

Took titles from fighters who was champs already

The heart and soul of boxing on HBO

What these other fighters take me fo? A joke?

Ah y'all musta forgot! ....

And they got the nerve to say I ain't fight nobody

I just make 'em look like nobody

Y'all musta forgot! ....

And David Telasco, he really asked for it

So I beat him with a fractured wrist

See y'all musta forgot! .... (remember that...)

In the ring I BOX, there is none higher

When I use these, they call me sire

To earn my kindom, I must use fire

and I won't stop boxing till I retire, I'm Roy...

Y'all musta forgot! .... Y'all musta forgot!

When I beat Reggie Johnson,

and took his light heavyweight title from him

See y'all musta forgot! That I'm nice with these

Y'all musta forgot! This is what I do

Y'all musta forgot!

We could go on and on, Mike McCallum, Vinnie Pazienza

See y'all musta forgot! .... Y'all musta forgot!

Y'all musta forgot! ......

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2009, 07:49:58 AM »

Yeah, overrated.

glad you see it my way now...
DAWG

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2009, 08:23:41 AM »

You can look at that 2 ways

It's not his fault that he was dominant at a time when there weren't a lot of good fighters

OR

He was so much better than them he made them look like shit.

RJJ was one of the best all time and fought anybody you put in front of him, never dodged anyone. Moved up and down 5 weight classes to get fights, no one wanted anything to do with him.

Because....in his prime, he could embarrass any boxer on the planet. Was he a bit of a showboater? hell yes, but he was still fucking bad-ass.

I still remember when he melted that guy with a kidney shot, or the time he stood in the corner with his hands behind his back and let James Coulon try and hit him

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2009, 09:22:44 AM »
Got any footage of that, Groink? I'd love to watch!
Almost always, yes.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2009, 09:38:32 AM »
With Jones' style, fight at 40+ is tough.  Unless your a big puncher with a hard chin and hadn't relied on speed/agility your whole career (like a Foreman or Moore), 40 is a great time to become a coach.

exactly. his legs are absolutely shot compared to the springing lunging around on his toes boxing roy of old that would and could extend himself in a flash and drop you with a left hook from nowhere.

not to mention his "style" simply cannot carry over time since it's based off so much athleticism to be intact. Not to mention he seems to have jell-o head. Those equilibrium shots can be a bitch to push through also.  

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2009, 09:44:04 AM »
exactly. his legs are absolutely shot compared to the springing lunging around on his toes boxing roy of old that would and could extend himself in a flash and drop you with a left hook from nowhere.

not to mention his "style" simply cannot carry over time since it's based off so much athleticism to be intact. Not to mention he seems to have jell-o head. Those equilibrium shots can be a bitch to push through also.  

QFT.

i think my daughter could knock him out now. his bell is permanently rung

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2009, 10:08:26 AM »
You can look at that 2 ways

It's not his fault that he was dominant at a time when there weren't a lot of good fighters

OR

He was so much better than them he made them look like shit.

RJJ was one of the best all time and fought anybody you put in front of him, never dodged anyone. Moved up and down 5 weight classes to get fights, no one wanted anything to do with him.

Because....in his prime, he could embarrass any boxer on the planet. Was he a bit of a showboater? hell yes, but he was still fucking bad-ass.

I still remember when he melted that guy with a kidney shot, or the time he stood in the corner with his hands behind his back and let James Coulon try and hit him

this guy was so damn good it was ridiculous and absolutely insane to the point where I had to sit down in a quiet room and think about just who in the hell past or present could take him out. I kept coming up with Sugar Ray Robinson.......MAYBE

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2009, 10:42:36 AM »
Roy Jones and Darrem Charles need to retire.   They were great at their craft but now their bodies are saying "no more..please"!
((-::