Author Topic: USC Linebackers Owning the leauge  (Read 4363 times)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
USC Linebackers Owning the leauge
« on: December 02, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=4703367

Former USC 'backers standing outLed by Cushing, USC linebacking quartet making strong first-year impressions in NFLComment Email Print Share  By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

The Texans' Brian Cushing, left, is a leading candidate for defensive rookie of the year honors. Clay Matthews has emerged as a valuable contributor for the Packers.

Better noted historically for producing offensive linemen and skill-position players in the NFL draft, the Southern California football program probably will never be known as "Linebacker U," the celebrated handle long ago awarded Penn State.

But given the early results of the 2009 draft, which included four former USC linebackers, including two in the first round, NFL talent evaluators could make the Trojans' campus a must-stop from now on when assessing linebacker prospects.

"We've had some guys who can play there," said USC coach Pete Carroll, a former NFL head coach, of the linebacker position. "Good athletes, and solid football players, so the [recent successes] haven't been that surprising."

That said, putting four linebackers into the NFL in one year, all of them rookie starters at one point in the season, and with three of the defenders now regulars with their respective franchises, is a pretty remarkable feat. Then again, Brian Cushing (Houston), Clay Matthews Jr. (Green Bay) Rey Maualuga (Cincinnati) and Kaluka Maiava (Cleveland) all appear to be special players.

The quartet has combined to start 33 games through the first 12 weeks of the season. Cushing, a viable candidate for defensive rookie of the year honors, and Maualuga both have started every contest for their teams. Matthews, the son of former NFL standout outside linebacker Clay Matthews and a one-time walk-on at USC, has started eight games for the Packers, after opening the season as a situational pass-rusher.

"I think physically, they were all good [prospects]," Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak said when asked about the former USC linebackers. "But the most impressive thing, certainly from our standpoint with [Cushing], is their tremendous handling of the mental part of the game. They know football. They've got great football intelligence and instinct. Put that together with the physical side of things, and they just make plays."

The 15th overall player selected in the spring and deemed a starter almost from the moment Texans officials handed in his name to draft officials, Cushing has made more plays from his strongside spot than his former college teammates. Enough, in fact, to have been selected for the ESPN.com All-Pro team at the halfway point of the season.

Unofficially, Cushing has 99 tackles, the third-most in the league, according to NFL.com. Tackles are generally subjective statistics, with the general criteria varying from team to team, but 99 stops is still a lot, regardless of the formula used. Cushing also has 1.5 sacks, three interceptions and nine passes defensed. His three interceptions, including one against Peyton Manning in Sunday's loss to the Colts, are the second-most in the league by a rookie, trailing only Buffalo free safety Jairus Byrd (tied for the NFL lead with eight). Some pro scouts feel that Cushing is already among the five best strongside linebackers in the league.

He and Byrd certainly have separated themselves from the pack in the race for defensive rookie of the year plaudits.

"It's come together pretty nicely for me," said Cushing, whose confidence was often misinterpreted as arrogance in training camp. "There are a lot of elements that have been a struggle, and I still need to get better at some things, don't get me wrong. But I guess it's been pretty good to this point."

Pretty good, indeed.

His former USC teammates haven't been quite as good as Cushing, but all have enjoyed some standout moments as rookies.

Matthews, the 26th overall choice in April, has 29 tackles, five sacks and five passes defensed in 11 games, including eight starts. Among league rookies, only Brian Orakpo of Washington (seven) has more sacks. A second-round pick, Maualuga has started every game at strongside linebacker for the Bengals, and has registered 46 tackles and one sack. In three starts, including two of the past three games, Maiava, a fourth-rounder, has posted 33 tackles, one-half sack and a pass defensed, and been very good on special teams.

That the USC program has turned out four excellent linebacker prospects in the same year, given the caliber of athlete that Carroll typically attracts to the team, should not be all that stunning. Still, the school had produced only two first-round linebackers (Chris Claiborne to Detroit in 1999, and Keith Rivers to Cincinnati in 2008) in the previous 10 years. Cushing and Matthews were off the draft board by the 26th overall choice, and Maualuga was the 38th player chosen this spring. Maiava was the 104th pick.

It's not as if USC has established a strong tradition of standout linebacker play. In the draft classes from 1989 to 2008, the school had only six linebackers chosen in the first three rounds. Junior Seau, a first-round choice in 1990, is probably headed for the Hall of Fame. A second-round pick in 1995, currently injured middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu of Seattle is a three-time Pro Bowl performer. But it's not like the Trojans have been churning out top-level linebacker prospects every year in the draft.

Until this season.

"They've played in big games, in a big-time conference, in front of huge crowds and with a winning program," said Texans four-year veteran middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans, himself a former rookie standout. "So you expect them to do pretty well. But I think they've been even better than advertised."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Re: USC Linebackers Owning the leauge
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 04:38:43 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=4703367

Former USC 'backers standing outLed by Cushing, USC linebacking quartet making strong first-year impressions in NFLComment Email Print Share  By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

The Texans' Brian Cushing, left, is a leading candidate for defensive rookie of the year honors. Clay Matthews has emerged as a valuable contributor for the Packers.

Better noted historically for producing offensive linemen and skill-position players in the NFL draft, the Southern California football program probably will never be known as "Linebacker U," the celebrated handle long ago awarded Penn State.

But given the early results of the 2009 draft, which included four former USC linebackers, including two in the first round, NFL talent evaluators could make the Trojans' campus a must-stop from now on when assessing linebacker prospects.

"We've had some guys who can play there," said USC coach Pete Carroll, a former NFL head coach, of the linebacker position. "Good athletes, and solid football players, so the [recent successes] haven't been that surprising."

That said, putting four linebackers into the NFL in one year, all of them rookie starters at one point in the season, and with three of the defenders now regulars with their respective franchises, is a pretty remarkable feat. Then again, Brian Cushing (Houston), Clay Matthews Jr. (Green Bay) Rey Maualuga (Cincinnati) and Kaluka Maiava (Cleveland) all appear to be special players.

The quartet has combined to start 33 games through the first 12 weeks of the season. Cushing, a viable candidate for defensive rookie of the year honors, and Maualuga both have started every contest for their teams. Matthews, the son of former NFL standout outside linebacker Clay Matthews and a one-time walk-on at USC, has started eight games for the Packers, after opening the season as a situational pass-rusher.

"I think physically, they were all good [prospects]," Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak said when asked about the former USC linebackers. "But the most impressive thing, certainly from our standpoint with [Cushing], is their tremendous handling of the mental part of the game. They know football. They've got great football intelligence and instinct. Put that together with the physical side of things, and they just make plays."

The 15th overall player selected in the spring and deemed a starter almost from the moment Texans officials handed in his name to draft officials, Cushing has made more plays from his strongside spot than his former college teammates. Enough, in fact, to have been selected for the ESPN.com All-Pro team at the halfway point of the season.

Unofficially, Cushing has 99 tackles, the third-most in the league, according to NFL.com. Tackles are generally subjective statistics, with the general criteria varying from team to team, but 99 stops is still a lot, regardless of the formula used. Cushing also has 1.5 sacks, three interceptions and nine passes defensed. His three interceptions, including one against Peyton Manning in Sunday's loss to the Colts, are the second-most in the league by a rookie, trailing only Buffalo free safety Jairus Byrd (tied for the NFL lead with eight). Some pro scouts feel that Cushing is already among the five best strongside linebackers in the league.

He and Byrd certainly have separated themselves from the pack in the race for defensive rookie of the year plaudits.

"It's come together pretty nicely for me," said Cushing, whose confidence was often misinterpreted as arrogance in training camp. "There are a lot of elements that have been a struggle, and I still need to get better at some things, don't get me wrong. But I guess it's been pretty good to this point."

Pretty good, indeed.

His former USC teammates haven't been quite as good as Cushing, but all have enjoyed some standout moments as rookies.

Matthews, the 26th overall choice in April, has 29 tackles, five sacks and five passes defensed in 11 games, including eight starts. Among league rookies, only Brian Orakpo of Washington (seven) has more sacks. A second-round pick, Maualuga has started every game at strongside linebacker for the Bengals, and has registered 46 tackles and one sack. In three starts, including two of the past three games, Maiava, a fourth-rounder, has posted 33 tackles, one-half sack and a pass defensed, and been very good on special teams.

That the USC program has turned out four excellent linebacker prospects in the same year, given the caliber of athlete that Carroll typically attracts to the team, should not be all that stunning. Still, the school had produced only two first-round linebackers (Chris Claiborne to Detroit in 1999, and Keith Rivers to Cincinnati in 2008) in the previous 10 years. Cushing and Matthews were off the draft board by the 26th overall choice, and Maualuga was the 38th player chosen this spring. Maiava was the 104th pick.

It's not as if USC has established a strong tradition of standout linebacker play. In the draft classes from 1989 to 2008, the school had only six linebackers chosen in the first three rounds. Junior Seau, a first-round choice in 1990, is probably headed for the Hall of Fame. A second-round pick in 1995, currently injured middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu of Seattle is a three-time Pro Bowl performer. But it's not like the Trojans have been churning out top-level linebacker prospects every year in the draft.

Until this season.

"They've played in big games, in a big-time conference, in front of huge crowds and with a winning program," said Texans four-year veteran middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans, himself a former rookie standout. "So you expect them to do pretty well. But I think they've been even better than advertised."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

When USC was unstoppable for a few years there, it was all defense. they got off the line as fast as any pro team in the trenches. Granted, they had some awesome offensive players, and they were extremely oganized and well coached on offense, but not many of their O players have translated to the pros the same way they were in college. 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 07:52:08 PM »
cant say the same for the pac10  :-\

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 03:51:56 PM »

haha BOOM !!!  But Arizona is some pretty tough competition..... ::)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:08:56 AM »

We loose to other pac 10 schools...

did you see what we did in bowls last season...yeah 6-0 in bowl games

Oh did we not loose 4 linebackers that START in the nfl this year...And playing a true freshman that last year this time was playing the likes of Carson highschool...

Yeah we took an expected step back..

Still out out of conference is ohio state at ohio state...and floridas is.............the citadel, florida interntional...when you schedule someone holla at me

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 10:26:51 AM »
who the hell is talking about florida  ???

keep thinking losing to pac10 teams makies you less softer, though

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 11:04:33 AM »
who the hell is talking about florida  ???

keep thinking losing to pac10 teams makies you less softer, though

The Pac 10 as a whole is a competetive conference...we dont get represented in the bowls like we should because of this wacl ass system...the pac 10 is a tough conference

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 02:43:54 PM »
The Pac 10 as a whole is a competetive conference...we dont get represented in the bowls like we should because of this wacl ass system...the pac 10 is a tough conference
SC  had a bad year.   But I can use a nice Emarald Bowl t-shirt for a change. :D
((-::

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 03:04:48 PM »
USC would have went .500 in the SEC this year....   ;D ;)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 03:07:35 PM »

I think .500 is a stretch.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 03:31:44 PM »
the sec...shittin me right...tenn, vandy, miss state, uk, uga, sc....power houses right...

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 04:03:14 PM »
the sec...shittin me right...tenn, vandy, miss state, uk, uga, sc....power houses right...

I was half joking, hence the wink buuuuuut, USC barely finished over .500, 5-4......losing to mighty Washington...... Tenn, UGA and SC would have finished in the top half of the Pac 10 this season....I mean Stanford finished 4th and lost to Wake Forest.....haha

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 04:17:45 PM »

I was half joking, hence the wink buuuuuut, USC barely finished over .500, 5-4......losing to mighty Washington...... Tenn, UGA and SC would have finished in the top half of the Pac 10 this season....I mean Stanford finished 4th and lost to Wake Forest.....haha

SHEEEIT....Stanford was pretty good...i think their style would play with a lot of people...ball control always has a place in the game

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 06:38:49 PM »

SHEEEIT....Stanford was pretty good...i think their style would play with a lot of people...ball control always has a place in the game

I actually really like Stanford and Harbaugh is going places, but a loss to a very mediocre/bad Wake team and then go on to finish 4th in the Pac doesn't speak well of the Pac...

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 06:50:13 PM »
Not if half the teams were UGA, Tennessee (though I like the Vols) LSU, Kentucky, Miss St, Miss, and Auburn!  Whats with LSU's Mardi Gras helmets?    They look like they need beads!

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 08:01:49 PM »
I'm not big on the PAC-10, more of an SEC guy. But, Mal is right here, PAC-10 is definitely stronger this year and look to be coming up more and more each year. SEC really only had the Gaytors and Bammers this year, everyone else was mediocre or worse. The Washington Huskies will be a force in years to come with Sarkisian leading the way, and who wouldve thought Stanford would do what they did. You USC fans should start getting a little more nervous though, The Pac-1(USC only powerhouse) just doesn't apply anymore.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 08:01:54 PM »
Not if half the teams were UGA, Tennessee (though I like the Vols) LSU, Kentucky, Miss St, Miss, and Auburn!  Whats with LSU's Mardi Gras helmets?    They look like they need beads!

If you moved those teams to the Pac 10....USC would find a way to beat LSU, Tenn and UGA, but would lose to 3 of the other 4.....just like they did this year to vastly less talented teams.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 08:09:20 PM »

If you moved those teams to the Pac 10....USC would find a way to beat LSU, Tenn and UGA, but would lose to 3 of the other 4.....just like they did this year to vastly less talented teams.
Washington has arguable the BEST QB in the west.   He had more to do with that win than anything. Oregon was going to win anyway...the game was in that state   and SC cannot win in that state  as i predicted.  Stanford has the best running back in the NATION ....yes he's better than Ingram and Spiller!!!!  I am not sure how we lost to Arizona   but we did   so be it.   But lets face it   SC is a poerhouse in COLLEGE FOOTBALL and always will be.   Carroll can go to Gainsville and steal that citie's best player if he wanted to.   The Pac is getting better and with teams finally beating SC and others giving them problems that is all the proof you need.  The SEC is ok   as is the Big 12..there is no better conference   its all good from San Diego St  to UCONN!!!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 08:45:59 PM »
Washington has arguable the BEST QB in the west.   He had more to do with that win than anything. Oregon was going to win anyway...the game was in that state   and SC cannot win in that state  as i predicted.  Stanford has the best running back in the NATION ....yes he's better than Ingram and Spiller!!!!  I am not sure how we lost to Arizona   but we did   so be it.   But lets face it   SC is a poerhouse in COLLEGE FOOTBALL and always will be.   Carroll can go to Gainsville and steal that citie's best player if he wanted to.   The Pac is getting better and with teams finally beating SC and others giving them problems that is all the proof you need.  The SEC is ok   as is the Big 12..there is no better conference   its all good from San Diego St  to UCONN!!!

Oh come on.......exactly how many BCS titles does USC have?  You make it sound like they walk to a natl title every year, yet the find a way to stumble against teams with half their talent EVERY year.  No doubt they have talent, but they underachieve on a very regular basis.

"SEC is ok" doesn't even deserve a response. 

And talking about Locker and Gerhart, I like both of them, but as for their teams.....Washington was what 4-5 in the conf and Stanford lost to a weak Wake Forest team.  So they add nothing to your argument about the Pac 10 being a good conference. 

body88

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 09:06:28 PM »
Washington has arguable the BEST QB in the west.   He had more to do with that win than anything. Oregon was going to win anyway...the game was in that state   and SC cannot win in that state  as i predicted.  Stanford has the best running back in the NATION ....yes he's better than Ingram and Spiller!!!!  I am not sure how we lost to Arizona   but we did   so be it.   But lets face it   SC is a poerhouse in COLLEGE FOOTBALL and always will be.   Carroll can go to Gainsville and steal that citie's best player if he wanted to.   The Pac is getting better and with teams finally beating SC and others giving them problems that is all the proof you need.  The SEC is ok   as is the Big 12..there is no better conference   its all good from San Diego St  to UCONN!!!

Florida's won two national titles recently, and they had a better year than USC, yet again.  What does USC have to show for all these "five star" guys they have?  Zero, as usual.  The NFL says thanks, the fanbase says, WTF, how can you not win a title every year with all the talent you have.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 09:42:47 PM »
Oh come on.......exactly how many BCS titles does USC have?  You make it sound like they walk to a natl title every year, yet the find a way to stumble against teams with half their talent EVERY year.  No doubt they have talent, but they underachieve on a very regular basis.

And talking about Locker and Gerhart, I like both of them, but as for their teams.....Washington was what 4-5 in the conf and Stanford lost to a weak Wake Forest team.  So they add nothing to your argument about the Pac 10 being a good conference. 
SEC is the KING OF UNDERACHIEVERS    UGA  and Tennnessee!!!!!!!!   Those schools pretty much have their own state (Ga. Tch shops around the nation more than inside the state) and every year both teams lose emberrassingly (see UCLA at Knoxville!!!!). 

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 09:47:26 PM »
Florida's won two national titles recently, and they had a better year than USC, yet again.  What does USC have to show for all these "five star" guys they have?  Zero, as usual.  The NFL says thanks, the fanbase says, WTF, how can you not win a title every year with all the talent you have.
Had SC played Fla the last 4 years before this season SC'd have slapped the blue off of Fla (like ALA did......the Gators looked SO WHITE hahaha)   The sad thing is this year and a couple of games last year, is   SC has become mike Tyson of the 80's ...the big bully in the Pac 10...so used to the team bowing down letting cardinal and gold move as they wish. Unfortunately NOW  those teams are standing up to SC kind of like  Buster Douglous did to Tyson.  No one outside the Pac 10 will ever beat SC till Notre Dame gets back to business which hopefully will take years and years. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 05:53:38 AM »
SEC is the KING OF UNDERACHIEVERS    UGA  and Tennnessee!!!!!!!!   Those schools pretty much have their own state (Ga. Tch shops around the nation more than inside the state) and every year both teams lose emberrassingly (see UCLA at Knoxville!!!!). 

Ummmm, Tenn has the exact same number of BCS titles as your beloved Trojans, chief.  And every time you bring up ANY team in America with an embarassing loss is laughable.  USC/Carrol can recruit, but they have massively underachieved year after year after year.....this season being yet another example.

And as for the SEC being "kings of underachievers" how bout FIVE BCS titles by 3 different teams, including the last 3 and a great chance at another this year?  The sorry ass Pac 10 will NEVER have a championships outside of USC.  Hell, the ACC has more championships than your "mighty" Pac 10.....hahaha   

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 07:24:20 AM »

So check this out...I can care less about the BCS National Championship...This shit it the biggest farse in the nation...From the "preseason rankings"  ::) to schools playin cupcake schools deep into the schedule...Idiots runnin around talkin about the sec...These fags play 1AA schools....word?...thats who you play?...While USC Goes to Ohio State to play them in the shoe with a freshman QB.......Florida plays the almighty Charlston southern?...get the fuck out of here...no one respects that shit...and not only do they play 4 of those bitch ass schools in the same season...they freakin get to play, UK, Miss state, Vandy and garbage ass tenn....so you can miss me with that shit until they play more than 2 real games in a season...

Sheeeit the "Weak ass" ::) pac 10 did 6-0 last year in bowl (out of conference) while powerhouse BAMA got their asses kicked by UTAH....so give me a fuckin break with the "King SEC shit" How about when USC travels to the SEC they OWN them...Remember AUB was ranked 5th in the nation on preseason...yeah SC went down and hung 30 on they ass...and gave them the goose egg for good measure...Oh what about when they did the home and home with ark..yeah usc hung 70 on them the first time and 52 on them the second time...and Ark went on to win the SEC WEST both times......hahahahaha miss me with the SEC shit...

Floridas out of conference
Charleston Southern
Troy
Florida International
Florida State

Bamas out of conference
Virginia Tech
Florida International
North Texas
Chattanooga

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 07:28:12 AM »
we cant win a title because We play real teams week in and week out...and if you really wanna be real about it...anytime we travel to play a team who has the balls to play another D1 school (charleston southern ...really...get the fuck out of here" said school gets the snot beat out of them...the PAC plays real teams week in and week out