Author Topic: Tennis Elbow  (Read 1132 times)

Triton

• Getbig II
Tennis Elbow
« on: December 10, 2009, 05:57:30 PM »
Hey,
Anyone ever had Tennis elbow, a sharp pain in forearm to outside of elbow. Kills when do any pulling movements such as rows, chins and curls are definitely out. Any one know any cures, had 1 cortisone shot about 3months ago and has already come back.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Tennis Elbow
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 08:37:14 PM »
Rest, lighter weights.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 03:23:00 AM »
rest rest and rest.......... are you not seeing physio about this?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 10:05:38 AM »
Did not say how you got TE; certain exercises, only hurt when working out, job related or the outside chance that actually playing tennis caused it. Chaos & Local Hero are correct..... rest. And maybe applying a heating element like warning lotion, heating pad, alternate heat/ice packs, etc. while away from the gym.

If your still working out than might want to switch to DB movements, rather than BB's, for awhile. DB's allow a more natural twist(wrist/forearms), while BB's do not. As you said, pulling will bother it  the most. If insisting on  doing chins or BB rows, than use a false grip (thumbs in front of the bar) to avoid any hard gripping.  It may or may not help, depends on the body reaction. Might try pullovers (bent arm or straight) to hit the lats if wanting to avoid any pulling motion. Also DL's and shrugs work the total back very well. Also keep the arms covered and warm. Applying a heating lotion (blood in the area), while working out, can help. Good Luck.
F

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 04:42:26 PM »
Try some Myofascial Release... if you can handle it. It's a hell of a lot better than invasive surgery. Not saying that's where you are, but if you are already using Cortisone, realize that the healing process is already being delayed.

The twelve tendons of the hand run directly over the elbow. We spend most of our time in "flexion" where the fingers and hand are concerned. Sometimes something as simple as "extension" to even out the antagonists is an easy and quick fix. Really, if you think about it, we always flex with some form of resistance, even if it is a static contraction. Look at the tibialis muscles. These are the ones that are weak when compared against the antagonistic strength of the soleus and gastrocnemius (calf muscles)-- it is usually the imbalance of strength on one side that causes the injury on the other. In this example it would be "shin splints"

How can you exercise your fingers with extension excercise? Big rubber bands. Wrap them around the outside of your fingers and "extend" against the band resistance. You can actually build up a bit of lactic acid in the finger muscles.. and "rep out" 

Be careful though, if you are posing on stage big fingers might cause an imbalance in your overall symmetry. (ha ha funnah)

Triton

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 05:35:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for response,
The injury just all of a sudden just appeared, not from tennis or Golf, maybe when I was doing reno's to house from swinging hammer ( used to be carpenter, now off tools).
I've tried physio, cortisone, massage, ice, anti imflamatory cream.
Using lifting straps for most of back work now, can hardly do any curling or forearm work
Do like suggestion of rubber band finger exercise.
Find it very hard spot to stretch exactly where you want. Is very annoying injury.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 05:41:09 PM »
Did not say how you got TE; certain exercises, only hurt when working out, job related or the outside chance that actually playing tennis caused it. Chaos & Local Hero are correct..... rest. And maybe applying a heating element like warning lotion, heating pad, alternate heat/ice packs, etc. while away from the gym.

If your still working out than might want to switch to DB movements, rather than BB's, for awhile. DB's allow a more natural twist(wrist/forearms), while BB's do not. As you said, pulling will bother it  the most. If insisting on  doing chins or BB rows, than use a false grip (thumbs in front of the bar) to avoid any hard gripping.  It may or may not help, depends on the body reaction. Might try pullovers (bent arm or straight) to hit the lats if wanting to avoid any pulling motion. Also DL's and shrugs work the total back very well. Also keep the arms covered and warm. Applying a heating lotion (blood in the area), while working out, can help. Good Luck.
I actually found that DB aggravated my tendonitis more than barbell movements.

Is that strange ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 10:37:26 AM »
I had this and couldnt do alot of exercises.Mostly bicep work and deadlifts or heavy rows/shrugs would kill it.
It took ages to get round it as i didnt change anything in my workout but i started training a little slower with the reps and therefore lighter and for higher reps and in a few months i was pain free.I kept my training this way ever since with good gains and no injuries to that area so maybe give that a try