Author Topic: Shawn Ray on Dorian Yates...  (Read 165598 times)

nukkaready

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Shawn Ray on Dorian Yates...
« Reply #400 on: February 08, 2010, 03:08:24 PM »
I think its funny that people are saying that dorian's 93 front lat spread is better than Ronnie 99's.

think again people:

:-*

this is a perfect example that illustrates how shallow Ronnie's ribcage is compared to Dorian. Dorian definitely takes that pose. He is wider, fuller and his entire physique has a flow to it unlike Ronnie who is just a compilation of body parts.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #401 on: February 08, 2010, 03:09:12 PM »
And FYI Stupid that's a contest in which Dorian beat Ronnie HAHAHAHAHAH brutal self ownage as usual \

exactly my point genius.

remember what I said about ronnie doing badly in part because of bad conditioning?

thats why ronnie got beat so bad by everyone before he starting winning Mr. O's..

a bit of size and some water lost was all it took..

god, you are so damn slow.

::)
Flower Boy Ran Away

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #402 on: February 08, 2010, 03:09:31 PM »
I think its funny that people are saying that dorian's 93 front lat spread is better than Ronnie 99's.

think again people:

:-*

dorian's is better from the knees down only.

the rest of him lacks the detail and shape of ronnie, esp. in the arms/delts and quads, and his midsection is thicker.

aken out of FLEX nov 1999, page 90.  interview by jim schmaltz with ronnie before the 99 Olympia.

Jim:  What would have happened last year if Dorian Yates (recently retired winner of 6 straight Mr. Olympias) had competed?

Ronnie:  Dorian would have won again.

Jim: You think so?

Ronnie:  I know so.  Dorian has a big physique - hard- and he's been the man to beat, and its hard to knock the champion off the block.  He's a big guy and has a lot going for him. 

;D

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #403 on: February 08, 2010, 03:32:50 PM »
Dorian = fux or Nasser with a great back
blocky huge waiste and torso tiny arms
worst mr o in my opinion
shawn ray was Spot on in the video
choice is an illusion

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #404 on: February 08, 2010, 03:35:14 PM »
worst mr o in my opinion

tiny arms huh? you consider these arms tiny?  ::)

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #405 on: February 08, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »
aken out of FLEX nov 1999, page 90.  interview by jim schmaltz with ronnie before the 99 Olympia.

Jim:  What would have happened last year if Dorian Yates (recently retired winner of 6 straight Mr. Olympias) had competed?

Ronnie:  Dorian would have won again.

Jim: You think so?

Ronnie:  I know so.  Dorian has a big physique - hard- and he's been the man to beat, and its hard to knock the champion off the block.  He's a big guy and has a lot going for him. 

;D

funny how this has nothing to do with the fact that 99 ronnie is owning dorian in the front lat spread..

but you seem to think that posting endless quotes somehow erases the reality that are the pics and videos that show how much better peak ronnie was than dorian.. ::)
Flower Boy Ran Away

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #406 on: February 08, 2010, 04:07:02 PM »
funny how this has nothing to do with the fact that 99 ronnie is owning dorian in the front lat spread..

but you seem to think that posting endless quotes somehow erases the reality that are the pics and videos that show how much better peak ronnie was than dorian.. ::)

no one beats Doruan in the front latspread and pics , vids and quotes confirm this

Flex Magazine June 2002

The lat spread that stunned and revolutionized the bodybuilding world. It is jumbo-jet wide with giant slabs of rock-hard muscle knitted together with gnarly detail. Even in this front shot, you can see the immensity of the billowing lats -- particularly the one on the right, which, amazingly, casts a terrifying shadow.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #407 on: February 08, 2010, 05:14:11 PM »
Shawn said nothing LaBrada ever said about Haney. It was all in competitive spirit. This is were bodybuilder can compare like other sports. Talking the talk and having to walk the walk. Shawn never beat D, but his runner up losses were aguable.
((-::

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #408 on: February 08, 2010, 06:07:03 PM »
tiny arms huh? you consider these arms tiny?  ::)

compared to other pros yes and to his huge torso yes
what are Dorians are 20 if that pooor for a pro a 258lb
flex lighter bigger arms ronnie bigger arms Nasser bigger arms kevin bigger arms and the list goes on
choice is an illusion

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #409 on: February 08, 2010, 06:10:58 PM »
Shawn just wasnt big enough to compete with Dorrian

Quality vs. Quantity.....it's just about what the judges wanted. IMO, Shawn was much better and complete.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #410 on: February 08, 2010, 07:51:23 PM »
Shawn was much better and complete

amen to that.
Flower Boy Ran Away

Royal Lion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #411 on: February 08, 2010, 07:56:57 PM »
. . .

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #412 on: February 08, 2010, 08:02:58 PM »
interesting comparison of shawn and dorian 93 vs 94.

dorian went downhill
shawn went uphill (and got shafted by the judges):

Flower Boy Ran Away

Royal Lion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #413 on: February 08, 2010, 08:09:38 PM »
I agree that Shawn pushed Dorian in 94, but I still think Dorian deserved it.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #414 on: February 08, 2010, 08:16:37 PM »
Both were great. And the sad thing is, if either woke up the next morning and looked like the other, they'd be pissed off. Shawn would  be doing extra cardio and eating less. And Dorian would be eating more and bent rowing 800 lbs!
((-::

Tarantula157

• Getbig III
« Reply #415 on: February 09, 2010, 03:39:42 AM »
Biased you say that like it's a bad thing , yes the judges are biased for the physique that best fits the judging criteria. And Dorian could lose a few poses and still win with a perfect score because they judges toss out the high & low scores try learning how contests are judged and then you wont be scratching your head. And Shawn wanted a rotation of judges because be thought this would favor his physique style , in other words he wanted the rules to bend for him

No muscle group of more important than the other but you're harping on one whilst ignoring others once again NOT how it works. And I love how you just type Kevin & Shawn have better quads & hams and offer up NO explanation what so ever , they're better just because you typed they are lmao

The only '  problem '  with Dorian's quads was the separation of the rectus femoris his quads other than that were fine and his hamstrings were great they're thick and fully developed and overall Dorian's legs were better than Kevin & Shawn because he didn't have short legs like them and he had proportionate calves

And who said he has better proportion in his legs? I did how did I come to this conclusion? because Dorian's legs aren't short , his calves aren't high and lack proportion in relation to the quads , and his hamstrings are fully developed and in proportion with his quads , which you can tell when a competitor is in profile and the IFBB judge backs up my point which is why he claims Dorian had the best LEGS in 1994

Look no one is in perfect proportion ( well Steve Reeves was ) but Dorian has less flaws than his contemporaries , what you ignorantly forget what is judged is clavicle width , height , leg length , arm length torso length and the proportion between them all , back width , etc you can harp one Dorians biceps all you want and I can find flaws on Shawn & Kevin but when all is said and done , when everything is judged Dorian is the clear winner , density , dryness , muscular bulk , balance , proportion , posing , presentation , etc

And I love ignorant internet-fan-boys who sit at home on their computers telling the IFBB judges who were live and in person they're wrong and you are right LMFAO

Go learn how contests are judged and then come back I'll let you know if you learned anything.  ;)
Yes,you are the only one who know that the judges toss out the high and low scores,lol.Your parade of knowing how the contests are judged is becoming annoying...By the way according to Nasser some judges had Dorian as low as 4th in 97...
Shawn didn't want the rules to be bend for him,what he wanted was the original criteria(the one that existed since the beginning of the sport until the fateful 1994 when it was bended to suit Dorian) back.
Dorian's calves weren't in proportion to his quads,name it how you want either they were too big for them or his quads were small for his calves.How big his calves should be if he ever was able to build thighs like Cutler or Warren and keep his proportions at the same time?And no mr.O since Colombo in 81 had that lack of vastus separation.
Keep that length of legs for the modelling competitions, in bodybuilding the muscular development is more important than the bone lenth,unless you are a "genetic disaster"like Paco Bautista it's not of major importance how long your legs are,and I don't think that was the case with Shawn.You are trying to compare some real flaws of Dorian's physique(e.g.distended stomach,torn biceps)with some minor genetic imperfections(if at all)of Shawn's physique.Other than calves,Shawn was as close to perfection as anyone could be.
It all comes down as to who was better overall on that particular day and at the 1994 mr.Olympia it was Shawn Ray.

You still keep pointing out on Dorian's posing and dryness,even though Dorian was a stiff poser and he himself admitted a water retention in 94.

Tarantula157

• Getbig III
« Reply #416 on: February 09, 2010, 03:55:20 AM »
Hahahaha where in your imagination?
No,I'm afraid not.From a real interview by David Robson!Here is a quote from the man himself:"I had a stomach bug on the day of the contest so I was holding water."

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #417 on: February 09, 2010, 12:39:16 PM »
worst mr o in my opinion

Calling him the worst Mr O. just renders you, and any future posts completely invalid. Tiny arms? 21.5 inches. Yep, real tiny  ::)

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #418 on: February 09, 2010, 01:51:40 PM »
they just dont understand.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #419 on: February 09, 2010, 01:57:58 PM »
It all comes down as to who was better overall on that particular day and at the 1994 mr.Olympia it was Shawn Ray.

its interesting to note that the very last line in the 94 Musclemag Olympia review says the exact same thing..

if I recall it says:

"all I know is that a Mr. olympia should be as close to perfect as possible. and given such ground rules, it would be mighty hard to deny Shawn Ray"

much to the dismay of nuthuggers everywhere.
Flower Boy Ran Away

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #420 on: February 09, 2010, 01:58:59 PM »
You still keep pointing out on Dorian's posing and dryness,even though Dorian was a stiff poser and he himself admitted a water retention in 94.

welcome to the world of ND's fantasy bullshit..

Flower Boy Ran Away

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #421 on: February 09, 2010, 03:01:02 PM »
Yes,you are the only one who know that the judges toss out the high and low scores,lol.Your parade of knowing how the contests are judged is becoming annoying...By the way according to Nasser some judges had Dorian as low as 4th in 97...
Shawn didn't want the rules to be bend for him,what he wanted was the original criteria(the one that existed since the beginning of the sport until the fateful 1994 when it was bended to suit Dorian) back.
Dorian's calves weren't in proportion to his quads,name it how you want either they were too big for them or his quads were small for his calves.How big his calves should be if he ever was able to build thighs like Cutler or Warren and keep his proportions at the same time?And no mr.O since Colombo in 81 had that lack of vastus separation.
Keep that length of legs for the modelling competitions, in bodybuilding the muscular development is more important than the bone lenth,unless you are a "genetic disaster"like Paco Bautista it's not of major importance how long your legs are,and I don't think that was the case with Shawn.You are trying to compare some real flaws of Dorian's physique(e.g.distended stomach,torn biceps)with some minor genetic imperfections(if at all)of Shawn's physique.Other than calves,Shawn was as close to perfection as anyone could be.

Of course it's becoming annoying to you because you're being corrected. And wow according to Nasser  ::) according to Nasser all pros use synthol yet he never did , he's the last person you wanna quote and let's say it's true it brings us back to the high & low scores are tossed out so he could have been in ' fourth ' and still finished first again read a book or two

You don't even know this criteria no matter what you call the ' original ' criteria and more stupidity on your behalf the criteria that is used now is NOT the same criteria used since the beginning , the criteria used to include dental examines onstage ! in Reeves day if a contest was deemed to close to call they had both contestants do gymnastics , you don't know the criteria now of before so stop embarrassing yourself trying to act knowledgeable

Dorian's calves weren't in proportion with his quads says you and we already established what you know , nothing. his proportions weren't perfect but eons better than Shawn Ray and he didn't lack separations of the Vastus in fact he tore that muscle in 1994 so it was obscured if you're claiming his quads looked like Franco's did in 1981 you're even more stupid then I thought

Hahahahaha yeah keep the better structure and balance & proportion to modeling competitions ( which FYI bodybuilding contests are ) this is the part where you're willing to overlooks Shawn's numerous flaws out of preference , he doesn't have to live up to the standards others do because his small high calves are ' genetic ' biased anyone? Shawn doesn't have to meet the criteria of clavicle width because it's genetic or height  ::) give me a break.

close to perfection? hahahahahaha more biased delusion Shawn's physique is not even close to perfect he's lacking way to much and just because you're willing to overlook doesn't mean the judges were .

Let me explain to you again how contests are judged. All rounds are physique rounds this means in every single pose all of the judging criteria is assessed at once , including muscular bulk , balance & proportion , density & dryness , posing & presentation , this applies to all rounds including the muscularity round , symmetry round and ( back then ) posing rounds

So while Shawn may meet part(s) of the criteria better than Dorian he doesn't meet the all better which is exactly how contests are judged. who satisfies the ALL of the criteria better

You can say how can Shawn Ray lose the symmetry round to Dorian Yates when clearly Shawn is more ' symmetrical ' I'll explain exactly how and why he lost. Symmetry is a broad and misleading term in this sport and means a lot of things to a lot of people. in includes having a small waist , small joints , great taper , small hips which is part of the reason Flex Wheeler is known as the Sultan of Symmetry despite not having the greatest balance and structure.

That is where the other part of the criteria comes into play , such as height ( height counts in a contest of the genetically elite ) torso length ( if one has a short torso , long torso or a medium one ) arm length ( in relation to the torso ) leg length ( compared to the torso and to others , Shawn has short legs , Ronnie has long ones ) then there is proportion between the muscles ( Shawn has short calves that insert high , Dorian has low ones ) muscle length , clavicle width ( narrow like Shawn and super wide like Wolf )

When people say Shawn has better symmetry than Dorian technically they're right if their speaking on that context alone but not right when all things are assessed. Directly compared to Dorian it's obvious Shawn has smaller waist & hips and smaller joints ( relatively speaking of course ) but he's also shorter ( height plays a role ) he also has short legs , a long torso and high insertions in his calves , along with narrow clavicles , so while he may meet part(s) of the symmetry better than Dorian he loses ground when everything is applied because All rounds are physique rounds

In the symmetry round the judges look who meets the criteria better in muscular bulk along with symmetry/balance & proportion. So while Shawn has a smaller waist & hips and smaller joints , he's down on balance & proportion and now muscular bulk. Now muscular bulk doesn't mean much if it's bulk for the sake of bulk. The judges like conditioned muscular bulk which is exactly why Shawn could beat guys who carried much more muscular bulk than him. And muscular bulk is a relative term and an absolute one as well.

Shawn was like a mini-mass monster he carried 205 pounds on a frame around 5'7" roughly the same weight as Lee Labrada who weighed around 190 pounds in contest shape. So if it were Shawn vs Lee , Shawn would have the advantage in muscular bulk because both were usually dead on the money in terms of conditioning and Shawn weighed more and looked physically bigger. However Dorian was 3" taller and in 1994 weighed 262 pounds and was hard as nails. There is a very big difference ( no pun ) on 262 pounds and 205 pounds even on a relative scale. So ontop of having better balance & proportion , Dorian also has a clear advantage in terms of muscular bulk and remember everything is judged at once , so just because Shawn meets part(s) of symmetry better he's losing on all counts so far

Which leads us to density & dryness , Shawn was usually very well conditioned and very dense & dry for his size , it's easy to be dense & dry when you're 205 pounds and a WHOLE other story when you're 262 pounds. The heavier one becomes the harder it is to retain that density which is the absence of intramuscular fat so what you're left with is just pure muscle. There is a huge difference between two guys who are both the same height and weight and one who is dense and one who's not. Which is why the combo of density & size are highly prized in competitive bodybyuilding.

So Shawn was usually very good with density & dryness he wasn't better than Dorian in this area. Perfect example he tried to compete heavier ( 215 pounds ) at one contest and his conditioning suffered for it. Dorian wins not only muscular bulk and balance & proportion now he wins density & dryness ( remember Shawn may meet part(s) of the criteria better but he loses when ALL of it is applied )

Now we can move on to posing & presentation. A lot of people always scratched their heads wondering how Dorian could win the symmetry round and well as the posing rounds. Now you have your answer All rounds are physique rounds Shawn is a very good poser and very good at presenting his physique to it's best advantage but so is Dorian and in any posing round or symmetry round the judges are looking at muscular bulk , density & dryness , balance & proportion so Dorian wins any round and any pose simply because he satisfies ALL of the criteria better than Shawn and any of his contemporaries

So when you type Shawn should have beat Dorian in 1994 it really means you're ignorant on how contests are judged and/or you simply prefer the way Shawn looks over Dorian .

According to how contests are judged Dorian clearly beat Shawn in 1994.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #422 on: February 09, 2010, 03:03:26 PM »
welcome to the world of ND's fantasy bullshit..

See above this applies to any of your moronic claims as well.  ;) 

Fantasy bullshit like Dorian should have lost in 1994 and Ronnie had more detailed calves than Dorian? And Ronnie dominated in 2001 by losing the entire pre-judging lmfao you're very far from reality my dim-witted friend.

NeoSeminole

• Getbig V
  • Ronnie > Dorian
« Reply #423 on: February 09, 2010, 03:21:47 PM »
no one beats Doruan in the front latspread and pics , vids and quotes confirm this

Flex Magazine June 2002

The lat spread that stunned and revolutionized the bodybuilding world. It is jumbo-jet wide with giant slabs of rock-hard muscle knitted together with gnarly detail. Even in this front shot, you can see the immensity of the billowing lats -- particularly the one on the right, which, amazingly, casts a terrifying shadow.

epic desperate attempt to connect the dots. Where does the quote you posted say Dorian has the best latspread ever?

oh.. and in before ND posts some irrelevant quote to deflect the obvious - that he's a clueless moron when it comes to arguing.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #424 on: February 09, 2010, 03:30:59 PM »
epic desperate attempt to connect the dots. Where does the quote you posted say Dorian has the best latspread ever?

oh.. and in before ND posts some irrelevant quote to deflect the obvious - that he's a clueless moron when it comes to arguing.

I never said the quote claimed Dorian had the best front latspread ever but I'm pointing to examples of people raving about Dorian's front latspread and yet none of you can post quotes raving about Ronnie's because it wasn't anything special , and let me guess when they refer to his front latspread as ' stunned and revolutionized ' they don't mean it was the best , just very good  ::) I don't need to play with words that's your game , here's another.

FROM MARKUS RUHL

October 2000, FLEX page 166   (notice how it is post 1999)

"DORIAN YATES HAD THE BEST BACK IN THE HISTORY OF BODYBUILDING.  HIS LAT SPREAD WAS UNBELIEVABLE.  HIS SIZE, MASS, AND CONDITIONING WERE PERFECT,"

need anything else corrected Mr Verbatim? you're the moron who plays semantics games , you're the moron who constantly tries to connect the dots , you're the moron who doesn't and still don't know how contests are judged , you're the moron with comprehension issues you're the moron who thinks 2003 is Ronnies best hahahahaha you're the moron who thinks balance & proportion are the same thing , you're the moron who thinks Ronnie carried more muscular bulk than Dorian by being 13 pounds lighter ,  I mean I can continue if you'd like.