Author Topic: AAU Mister America - Discuss the AAU History  (Read 332376 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: aau mister america aau thread.
« Reply #375 on: April 04, 2015, 04:16:41 PM »
1954 mr a dick dubois
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #376 on: April 13, 2015, 02:44:06 PM »
 ;D pic from 1945 mr a guy in middle won clancy ross. guy on right was his training partner and future trainer of bill pearl , leo stern...
F

Big Pat

• Getbig II
« Reply #377 on: April 13, 2015, 02:57:16 PM »
I miss the time I used to spend with Mr. Stern.  All the gym owners that came out of his place are now gone. May he rest in peace.

Big Pat

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #378 on: April 14, 2015, 10:20:19 AM »
I miss the time I used to spend with Mr. Stern.  All the gym owners that came out of his place are now gone. May he rest in peace.

Big Pat

big pat you actually knew  leo stern?????{pic'd below} share some memories if you feel so inclined.... :D :D :D :D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #379 on: April 15, 2015, 12:30:11 PM »
the only un-american mr america in aau history....
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #380 on: April 15, 2015, 12:31:40 PM »
roy hilligenn , bodybuilder, weightlifter, strongman,    ........................ ........................ ...........criminal, pervert.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #381 on: April 21, 2015, 12:18:38 PM »
mr usa 1949....
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #382 on: May 19, 2015, 09:45:55 AM »
 ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #383 on: May 22, 2015, 11:27:29 AM »
 8) two mr a's one training other doing autographs..
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #384 on: May 24, 2015, 06:30:36 AM »
1956 lineup.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #385 on: June 01, 2015, 11:19:17 AM »
 ;D parade of early mr a's.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #386 on: October 13, 2017, 03:33:40 PM »
ralph kroger routine done 7 days a week.
F

Big Pat

• Getbig II
« Reply #387 on: October 13, 2017, 07:51:59 PM »
"big pat you actually knew  leo stern?Huh?{pic'd below} share some memories if you feel so inclined..."

Please let me apologize Funk for my lack of response. Been a long 2 years or family obligations and this thread somehow got overlooked.

I met Mr. Stern in late '78 or early '79. I was looking for a well built Mutli Bench for my training and by chance called his Gym Equip. Co. and talked to him personally. I came down to his store in North Park and we sat down and discussed what I needed and I ended up the a Rocmo (Rocky Mtn. Gym Equipment Co.) bench that I still have. Mr. Stern and I just plain got along from the beginning. I was just a big young man with a good memory for all things weight training. Mr. Stern would gladly answer any question I had as long as I could keep up with him while he took care of the gym, equipment store and his wife's figure salon.
I purchased other equipment from him and latter from his son David who tool over the store. Even years latter when I would correspond (by letter mostly) he would remember me and the things we had talked about.  It took me 5 years of waiting to get him to autograph a copy of his image that hangs over the stairway to his gym. Mr. Stern was stern in his business dealings,no doubt about that, but he treated me very well and I miss the time we talked. My biggest regret in not taking the time to sit down with him and talk about the history of weight training in San Diego. He was truly the "Father of Weight Training" here. I remember we were talking about various personalities in the industry and he looked me straight in the eye and said, You should meet Dave Draper ( Mr. Draper has always been a person that I admired and have a great deal of respect for). Maybe someday I will.

Sorry for the rambling and I hope I have given some insight into Mr. Stern. Got to meet many other pioneers of weight training that were in the San Diego area. Hindsight is that I should have taken the time to sit down and talk with each and everyone of them. I guess life sometimes gets in the way of things you would have liked to do.

As a note I have always enjoyed your posting here and on the Ironage forum,.

Be safe and strong,

Big Pat

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #388 on: October 13, 2017, 08:09:51 PM »
would have been steve michalik birthday today.

Did he died for us or something?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #389 on: October 14, 2017, 06:22:28 AM »
"big pat you actually knew  leo stern?Huh?{pic'd below} share some memories if you feel so inclined..."

Please let me apologize Funk for my lack of response. Been a long 2 years or family obligations and this thread somehow got overlooked.

I met Mr. Stern in late '78 or early '79. I was looking for a well built Mutli Bench for my training and by chance called his Gym Equip. Co. and talked to him personally. I came down to his store in North Park and we sat down and discussed what I needed and I ended up the a Rocmo (Rocky Mtn. Gym Equipment Co.) bench that I still have. Mr. Stern and I just plain got along from the beginning. I was just a big young man with a good memory for all things weight training. Mr. Stern would gladly answer any question I had as long as I could keep up with him while he took care of the gym, equipment store and his wife's figure salon.
I purchased other equipment from him and latter from his son David who tool over the store. Even years latter when I would correspond (by letter mostly) he would remember me and the things we had talked about.  It took me 5 years of waiting to get him to autograph a copy of his image that hangs over the stairway to his gym. Mr. Stern was stern in his business dealings,no doubt about that, but he treated me very well and I miss the time we talked. My biggest regret in not taking the time to sit down with him and talk about the history of weight training in San Diego. He was truly the "Father of Weight Training" here. I remember we were talking about various personalities in the industry and he looked me straight in the eye and said, You should meet Dave Draper ( Mr. Draper has always been a person that I admired and have a great deal of respect for). Maybe someday I will.

Sorry for the rambling and I hope I have given some insight into Mr. Stern. Got to meet many other pioneers of weight training that were in the San Diego area. Hindsight is that I should have taken the time to sit down and talk with each and everyone of them. I guess life sometimes gets in the way of things you would have liked to do.

As a note I have always enjoyed your posting here and on the Ironage forum,.

Be safe and strong,

Big Pat

thank you for your insights, i always like to hear stories of the old iron game... i always regretted not getting to meet john grimek  when i would go to york to buy equipment in the mid 60's.usually it was john terlazzo who would sell me the iron.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #390 on: October 14, 2017, 07:42:14 AM »
Did he died for us or something?
                                                 he died in 2012 suicide.
F

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #391 on: October 15, 2017, 10:23:26 AM »
Dale Adrian

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #392 on: February 24, 2019, 03:49:12 PM »
Bump for the memories.

Bert Goodrich

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #393 on: February 24, 2019, 03:52:55 PM »
John Grimek

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #394 on: March 27, 2019, 08:11:19 PM »
John Grimek

I am amazed that you got away with this one.  LOL. 

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #395 on: September 11, 2019, 04:17:39 AM »
richie barrett
F

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #396 on: September 12, 2019, 05:41:22 AM »
richie barrett
all gruskins boys  :Dhad great condition and legs

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #397 on: September 16, 2019, 05:52:07 AM »
all gruskins boys  :Dhad great condition and legs
    bob gruskin was a big influence on a lot of the east coast guys.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #398 on: September 16, 2019, 05:56:05 AM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #399 on: April 28, 2020, 12:05:39 PM »