Author Topic: Do you do back extensions the same day you do deadlifts, also T Bar extensions  (Read 8315 times)

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
Example of back extensions

I also need to know if anyone does T - Bar extensions and likes them.  I have NEVER seen anyone do this free weight style like this.  Some gyms have the free weight machine for it similar in design to the calf raise machine and I have seen people use that.  My current gym doesn't have it though. 
&NR=1

jprc10

• Getbig III
I actually never do back extensions, I just do stiff legged and regular deadlifts for my lower back.

As far as the T-bar rows, yes I do them, I actually feel more lat work than on traditional barbell rows.

nolotil

• Getbig III
yes i love t-bar rows and have always done them instead of barbell rows

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
for me the bent over row, the way yates performs it,, cant be bested for overall back thickness and size..
if you stick with it and learn the form you will have slabs of meat on your back...

ive never been a fan of extensions, lower back will get alot of work from rows, deadlifts, squats etc

jdooly

• Getbig III
for me the bent over row, the way yates performs it,, cant be bested for overall back thickness and size..
if you stick with it and learn the form you will have slabs of meat on your back...

ive never been a fan of extensions, lower back will get alot of work from rows, deadlifts, squats etc

agreed.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
I did back extensions as part of rehab after L-3 & 4 surgery. Improved a lot with them. Though now I will do GM'ings, SLDL's or Romanian DL's.  Actually back extensions could be part of a well planned  DL program. Or even squat workouts. The trick is not to go to failure on any movement, in every workout. That's where the abuse of the back comes into play. And not do too many exercises, but focus on a selective few.

After seeing some visiting Eastern European Olympic lifter's handle 350-400+lbs, when during complete ROM GM'ings, can only wonder how strong the lower back really is. Or see a couple of these lifters walk off the street, rack up 400+ and do a few playing around sets of squats. Without any warmup at all. The more powerful the back, the more powerful the squat. Their low back thickness & depth was unbelievable.

T's are a very good movement for a lot of guy's. Does not suit me that well because the chest tends to get in the way. Probably best be done with the fingers interlaced, rather than handles. Seem to get more of a stretch, for me any way. Can apply inter lacing the fingers to a chinning bar also. Standing sideways to the bar of course. Greater stretch by far. Alternate the head right & left at the top position of the bar. Or pull to the center of the body and arch the body, bring the bar closer to the upper/middle chest. Involve the lats strongly. Something to be experienced to find that out. Good luck.

F

nolotil

• Getbig III
even if you do deadlifts,, back extensions is a good exerice as it will allow you to train lowerback in different way compared to deadlifts if you do 'rolling' back extensions

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
You would never do back extension or reverse hypers on the same day as deadlifting.

If you don't believe me, try it. You will never do it again. You put 100% into deadlifts. Done deal. You should walk away after and go home to eat and rest.

you wouldnt warm up with them either. You would warm up with lighter deads. Mimic your lift for specific warmups.

Back extensions on deadlift day are redundant and counter-productive.

There are a million ways to die.. choose one.

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
Nope. If i did do extensions it would be for warm up before deads.

Current routine for back

Deadlifts

Lat pulldowns and/or chinups/pullups

seated cable rows

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Back extensions can be part of the whole with a well planned program. And in the same workout as the dreaded DL, which can be more of a mental barrier at times for most folks.

If anyone is feeling it way too much in the lower back, when DL'ing, than they are either doing the exercise with bad form, too heavy a weight in regular workouts or their low back has not been trained to match the strength of the legs/glutes/hips. As weak link in the process of lifting heavier weight in the DL, the lower back needs not to be.  I think we all understand that a good and proper warm-up, and keeping the area warm, goes along with lifting. Of course there are those who's body mechanics  (body type, bone leverage/structure) are just not meant for regular DL'ing. Thats where trap/diamond bars can come into play, for some, for strictly BB'ing. Even heavy DB's for that manner.

If lifters spent more serious time on lower back training they might be surprised how better equipped they become when doing DL's and squats. And avoiding most injuries. Adding heavier ab work increases the mid point (transferring point of power from the lower to upper body) of strength and balance for the human body. I gained a great lesson when watching the Eastern European lifters train. Good Luck.
F

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
My suggestion would be to incorporate reverse hyper-extensions on a day other than deadlifting and treat them as you would a bench press or a squat. Pyramid weights, keep track of lifts, look forward to getting stronger, etc.

Give them your all. They are often ignored and most folks don't even know what they are or how to execute them correctly. If you used them on a day other than a DL day, you could really gain some strength from them and even up that "weak link" in the LB area. I suppose you would also have to consider the fact that most commercial gyms don't really have a specific apparatus for them. You have to be creative.

If you did DL's once every two weeks and trained weekly with Reverse Hypers (and put some effort and focus into them)- you could strengthen the whole posterior chain quite substantially over time. You would most definitely increase your DL strength.

Most people, (BB's especially) -- if they even work the posterior chain, treat their PC workouts as if they are insignificant; where as a Power lifter would train the posterior chain almost exclusively most times... Hence, the lack of mirrors in a hardcore Powerlifting gym. Some Powerlifters feel that without concentrating on the PC, you will never max your Bench. They believe that the lats are extremely synergistic with the chest.

The Posterior chain of muscles are much larger and potentially stronger than the anterior chain would ever dream of being. The problem is, you cant stare at teh Posterior chain in the mirrors while you are training, nor can you flex it like the chest, bi's (tris???) abs, etc.

Posterior chain: Out of sight, out of mind (for most)

Think about it.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
alternate between extensions and deadlifts every week.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
This thread seems to be morfing into PL'ing rather than BB'ing, but Oh well.  

Just my view...that's all:  If you want to get stronger on any lift, than practice that actual lift more.  Not less, like every two weeks. The max, in some special designed programs, being 9 days between workouts.  But may be for a shorter training cycle. Keeping the edge (when lifting off the floor)  on form and timing, speed/quickness, with regards to the firing off of muscle fiber nerve impulses ,should be kept  primed on at least a weekly bases. In harmony with the CNS, insures a progressive strength increase. Strength is not that difficult to gain if you think about it.

If you were to only do the DL (for example) once every 2 weeks, than do GM'ings, SLDL or Romanian DL's, rather than hyper X's only, the alternate week. Want to keep the body adjusted to handling weight in the standing position and as close to the actual DL it's self. These 3 movements bring those fore mentioned posterior chain into play strongly.

If only doing the DL once a week than do them on Monday. On Thursday try GM'ing, SLDL's orRD's.  Add a few sets of hyper X's along with any of the three.  Hyper X's are a very good movement when included in a all around back program. Good Luck.
F

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
most olympic powerlifting teams lift several times per day.

Nasty Nate

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
alternate between extensions and deadlifts every week.

Yeah this is what I do too... deadlifts 1st and 3rd week of the month, hyperextensions 2nd and 4th week of the month.