Author Topic: Gym Member Who Keeps Talking..  (Read 3270 times)

paulsed1

• Getbig II
Gym Member Who Keeps Talking..
« on: December 15, 2009, 10:05:33 PM »
I'm not against occasional chit chat in between sets, but by and large I like to be left alone when training, unless I need a spot or I am spotting someone. There's one dude at my gym that I made some small talk with once and it has now exploded to where he talks to me in-between almost every set. It is driving me crazy because it is quite distracting. He is actually relatively big and strong, so he is not some skinny dude asking for advice on everything, although he still asks my opinion for a lot of things. I do get occasional spots from him too, so I can't say he is a complete bother, but it just doesn't let up.

I know there is no magical solution to this, I guess I just have yo tell him to not talk to me quite as much while training, but that is hard to do without looking like a jerk. I'm not going to change my schedule around because of one guy, but my workout time is quite important. Anyone else ever deal with something similar? I actually have never worn an Ipod while training, but that may change. Hope that'll help. Probably will still walk up to me though...

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
Re: Gym Member Who Keeps Talking..
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 03:19:48 AM »
Sunglasses, hat down.. all work... headset.

Now, if he is working into your personal space and smacking gum, you need to sock him upside the head. THere are some really obnoxious bastards at one of my gyms. They do all this talking without saying one fkng word.

They all have one thing in common though... they are all twinks with huge lat spreads. They make a lotta noise. Don't need no megaphone for them in a crowd.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:50:51 AM »

Keep a watch, and look at it between sets, he'll get an idea that you're in a hurry. When your time is up, just lay back down on the bench and do your set. They'll get the hint.

Dyslexic is also correct too. No eye contact, don't smile...give off the vibe that their presence is not wanted.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 10:12:20 AM »
I`d simply explain to him that my workout time is just that...........time to workout.

Also,tell him it`s nothing personal but you like to train hard and intense.

If he can`t understand that,it`s his own damn fault so to hell with him.

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 01:18:31 PM »
Start coming on to him  ???  ;D (j/k)

That'll probably make him back the f off hahahhahahhaa

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 07:22:38 PM »
Start coming on to him  ???  ;D (j/k)

That'll probably make him back the f off hahahhahahhaa

Then again...

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 09:29:59 AM »
you just keep your answers short and snappy,,, i train at a fast pace anyway, dont leave much time for the pencil necks to bother me....

dont get me wrong, i love a good bit of gossip and banter after ive trained tho

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 07:25:56 PM »
That's why they say the gym can also be a social event... it's up to you to prevent that scenario.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 12:12:58 PM »
Once had this situation with a lover of my ex... nice dude but couldnt shut up during training... I just said - I am busy and went to another rack...

...do not be over polite - follow your gut feeling and say it in an amicable way...

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 03:43:13 PM »
As already said, just stick to one word answers, make it obvious that you aren't really interested in chatting. If he doesn't take a hint, wear some earphones crank up some music and you won't be able to hear him.

If all else fails, the just politely tell him that workout time is just that.......time to workout. There isn't a rule that says you have to chat with people.........just don't become one of the hardcore stone faced warriors.  ;D
No doubt about it...

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 05:15:17 PM »
Get some huge iron-on letters (no pun intended) for your manly-man T shirt that say:

STFU

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 01:37:15 AM »
Worse then people who just talk are the once that have to shout - I've seen some of these fucking loosers in the gym I worked before - they come in and all of a sudden the noise is going up WHOOOOOOOOOOOOSHH
Its like they want to everbody else to hear how important and well liked they are "hey look at me I talk to everybody and everybody knows me we have so much fun"   - its fucking annoying

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 02:16:21 PM »
Bring a stop watch? tell him you're timing your sets now. just an idea. try to be sensitive but open about it, nothing worse than someone acting strange all of a sudden for seemingly no reason.
follow the arrows

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 10:02:06 AM »
Been there. lol

man just tell him when he starts to interrupt your sets (not mean just say) "let me finish up this workout real quick (bruh, dude,man..whatever your casual tone is) I'm on the clock man..running late" ...etc,etc. how ever you want to spin it.

after a couple of those he'll get the message trust me and he'll just "find you" when your w/o is over now to get in a chat...only then you'll be headed for the door.

this way you are not being a dick and at the same time not being a pushover. It works to the point where I've seen the "chatters" go stalk somebody else and never talk to me again (WHICH IS THE GOAL)  ;D

good luck.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 11:44:09 AM »
Get some huge iron-on letters (no pun intended) for your manly-man T shirt that say:

STFU
X

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 10:28:32 AM »
its really not that big of a deal
just talk w him and workout
ive done it before-its not the end of the world
w

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 10:13:22 PM »
yes this happens a lot to me and i normally dont like to take a big rest between sets, only 30 sec. with small parts and 1 minute or so with bigger parts.. it's ok if it's a nice chat or a useful one but when there is someone talking to me between sets while i want him to stop i just keep shaking my head while moving towards the bar or the machine to do my set and just tell him "execuse me just one second to do this set".. i cant be impolite with strangers so i believe this is the best way to show them i dont have much time to chat and still without "hurting their feelings".. if this stranger is a young skinny kid i tell him in a polite way also "by the way it's not good to take a big rest between sets".. but with a close friend who likes to keep chatting between sets i just tell him "shut up asshole and leave me to train like a man" ;D

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 11:00:45 PM »
its really not that big of a deal
just talk w him and workout
ive done it before-its not the end of the world

As long as you don't end up with a BFF...

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 02:41:18 PM »
I had the same problem. Two things:

1) Headphones and avoiding eye contact. First few times you "ignore" him, talk to him briefly after your workout like nothing happened. Don't even address it. Which leads to the second tip ...

2) In one of those after conversations, allude to another chatty member, who doesn't seem to get how intense you are while training: "Hell, she doesn't even realize I can't hear her 'cause of the headphones, and I'm really limited on time - you know how it is, we need to focus, right? Man, I hope she understands I'm not ignoring her ..."  Change the sex as an added identity distraction.

Totally worked.

12secGT

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 01:02:13 PM »
Yeah... I had the same issue with a dude who was a Giants fan and I was wearing a Cowboys hat. He was cool and we exchanged some fun jibbing but it ended up into conversation even WHEN I was lifting. It stopped when I moved to LI from Brooklyn... hahahaha... Sorry man. You opened a can of poop by talking to him.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 01:13:24 PM »
Talkers in general bug me more and more. Wherever. I just don't care, fucking shut UP.