Author Topic: 2008 dodge avenger  (Read 4851 times)

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
Re: 2008 dodge avenger
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 01:48:37 PM »
The Volvo platform is based off of the Mazda 6 platform as well. Volvo also shares the Mazda 3 platform as well. Pretty much all of Ford North American sedans that have done well, since the last gen Mazda 6 have been based off the Mazda 6 chassis. Lord knows they need to import the Ford Mondeo

Wrong again, the Mada 6 is on the GG (or ford CD3 platform) which is used on the edge/mkx and fusion/mkz but that is it.  No mazda has the D3 platform that is exclusive to ford/volvo and volvo came out with it in '99 on the S80

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 01:53:48 PM »
Get a honda civic
L

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 02:16:13 PM »
Wrong again, the Mada 6 is on the GG (or ford CD3 platform) which is used on the edge/mkx and fusion/mkz but that is it.  No mazda has the D3 platform that is exclusive to ford/volvo and volvo came out with it in '99 on the S80
look all of it up. Ford typically had the Taurus and Merc counterpart as it's only midsozed platform. The Lincoln continental was a full size FWD platform. Volvo started in the 850 with it's FWD platform (not sure if the 740 was RWd or Fwd--but I know that Volvo use of of Fwd was a put off for my dad). Ford does not like to spend money developing new chassis, the Mazda 6 well reknowned for is sportiness was used as a platform basis for Ford/Lincoln twins, even sharing some of the same engines. Then Ford started putting Volvo in the mix. Ford even had the Lincoln LS and Jaguar S type share the same chassis. And the Ford Mondeo and Jag X-type. Ford has done enough re- engineering  of the md sized chassis to warrant them being diff. But they all have the mother---Mazda. All Fwd. In fact, look at the back of a Mazda 6, Ford/Lincoln Mks or whatever they called the 1st gen. Look at the exhaust placement, engine placement, wheel base...and the suspsension set up...very little diff from car to car.

It's like how the 300C is based off the old Mercedes E class chassis, and the Challenger's is based off of that, but shortened 4 inches

Btw, Lincoln told Car and Driver the reason why they never put a stick in the LS V8, was because they didn't have one that could handle the torque...the same freaking company that made the 390 hp Mustang at the time.

Stavios

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 02:17:20 PM »
Actually the Fords and GM's are hanging right there with Honda and Toyota in terms of reliability. It's the stigma of their previous lack of reliability and qualify that is hurting them. They have gained significant ground, while everybody including the CEOs were driving foreign cars (Ford boss driving a Lexus I believe).

I absolutely hated the cobalt tho.

Stavios

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »
Have you driven one? It's garbage...

I assume that its probably $12-15K depending on kilometers so in that price range for a late model sedan take a look at the malibu or better yet the impala.  I know the impala is a bit of an old man car but it gets damn good reliability ratings and its a solid car built in Oshawa (which won the JD power award as best car manufacturing facility last year) and you can pick one up real cheap since there are so many ex-fleet ones available.

Yeah I tried an Impala and loved it, the avenger was cheaper so that's why I asked

I don't want to put too much money on a car right now while I am in school, but I don't want an old junk that will get stuck everywhere

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 02:26:59 PM »
Pay gym dues and ride the bus, or a buy new car and lose mass. Guess what i chose

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 02:34:30 PM »
I absolutely hated the cobalt tho.

Yeah, it sux, had one as a rental. But the cobalt SS is fucking pocket rocket.

Bossa, I will concede that the Volvo S80 share a diff platform. One that is of Euro in origin. The C/D platform, that is Also shared with the Euro Ford focus.

But I very certain that the Volvo C30 is based off of the Ford Focus/Mazda 3 platform.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 02:51:30 PM »
Yeah, it sux, had one as a rental. But the cobalt SS is fucking pocket rocket.

Bossa, I will concede that the Volvo S80 share a diff platform. One that is of Euro in origin. The C/D platform, that is Also shared with the Euro Ford focus.

But I very certain that the Volvo C30 is based off of the Ford Focus/Mazda 3 platform.

Yes I believe you are right about the C30...not sure about the S40..

The new Taurus SHO looks amazing too

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 03:02:18 PM »
I know it's pocket change for you guys ;D
 but is it a good cheap car ?

It is fine, and i bet you can find them cheap.
A

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 03:04:36 PM »
My pharma company gave me a 2009 Dodge Avenger to drive this past year...I have put a lot of miles on it. It is a total shitbox.

Shockingly though the tranny won't die. I even stick the auto trans into LOW and rev the car to redline for miles on end just for fun and the tranny takes the relentless abuse. I am shocked as Dodge/Chrysler has the well deserved reputation for sh*t auto trans.
Avoid this miserable plastic rat of a car. Trust me on this.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 03:06:53 PM »
civics are nice, a little small for massive bbers tho. ;D
A

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 03:09:58 PM »
Yes I believe you are right about the C30...not sure about the S40..

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

they are pretty fast too....several tuners have already ran 11's by just turning up the boost.

i haven't ridden or driven one yet....but i would like too.

bench

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 03:20:22 PM »
Buick Lacrosse vs Lexus ES350...."Buick Embarrasses Lexus"

http://www.insideline.com/lexus/es-350/2009/2010-buick-lacrosse-vs-2009-lexus-es-350-comparison-test-and-video.html

The Domestic sedan is on its way back

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2009, 03:42:17 PM »
Buick and Lexus do not even belong in the same sentence.  One is the gold standard of Toyota who arguably produces one of/if not THE highest quality line of mass produced vehicles in the world.  Buick on the other hand is a sad cast-off "brand engineered" division of General Motors that has been producing miserable garbage for decades.

I will give GM credit for turning around Cadillac and building a world beater with the Z06/ZR1.........but no way with Buick.  Over insulated, under suspended, poorly styled embarrassments of cars that are indicative of why the US auto industry is in the sh*tter.  GM shoulda killed BUICK not Pontiac off - at least Pontiac had the G8 and was making a semi-respectable effort with V8 powered RWD sedans.  Nope, the retards at GM kill Pontiac and keep Buick on life support.  The reality is the only reason Buick is alive is because in China it is the fastest growing "luxury" brand in a burgeoning market of millions of new car buyers.  Domestically Buick is a sad joke of a brand.

No real Lexus customer would cross shop a Buick with a Lexus.  That just is not reality.

Buick Lacrosse vs Lexus ES350...."Buick Embarrasses Lexus"

http://www.insideline.com/lexus/es-350/2009/2010-buick-lacrosse-vs-2009-lexus-es-350-comparison-test-and-video.html

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 03:47:49 PM »
they are pretty fast too....several tuners have already ran 11's by just turning up the boost.

i haven't ridden or driven one yet....but i would like too.

bench

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA H **breath ** HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHJAHAHAHA HAHAHA

oh yeah... ::)  ::)  ::)

just by turning up the boost eh? amazing that most Porsche's and Lambo's can't hit those numbers but a ford taurus can...  ::)  ::)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2009, 03:56:45 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH **breath ** HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHJAHAHAHA HAHAHA

oh yeah... ::)  ::)  ::)

just by turning up the boost eh? amazing that most Porsche's and Lambo's can't hit those numbers but a ford taurus can...  ::)  ::)
the video's are out there...last time i checked porsche and lambos werent really beating anybody in 1/4 mile times...

bench

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2009, 04:01:18 PM »
Buick and Lexus do not even belong in the same sentence.  One is the gold standard of Toyota who arguably produces one of/if not THE highest quality line of mass produced vehicles in the world.  Buick on the other hand is a sad cast-off "brand engineered" division of General Motors that has been producing miserable garbage for decades.

I will give GM credit for turning around Cadillac and building a world beater with the Z06/ZR1.........but no way with Buick.  Over insulated, under suspended, poorly styled embarrassments of cars that are indicative of why the US auto industry is in the sh*tter.  GM shoulda killed BUICK not Pontiac off - at least Pontiac had the G8 and was making a semi-respectable effort with V8 powered RWD sedans.  Nope, the retards at GM kill Pontiac and keep Buick on life support.  The reality is the only reason Buick is alive is because in China it is the fastest growing "luxury" brand in a burgeoning market of millions of new car buyers.  Domestically Buick is a sad joke of a brand.

No real Lexus customer would cross shop a Buick with a Lexus.  That just is not reality.

Buick may have been alot of things in the past but "miserable garbage" isn't one of them...in fact Buick surpasses Lexus in vehicle dependability and that is before all of this new effort being put into the buick line-up.  Persoanlly I think anyone who pays $5,000 more for a lexus ES350 just because its a lexus over the new Buick Lacrosee which is a better, more cutting edge vehicle is a fucking moron.

J.D. Power and Associates Reports:
Buick and Jaguar Tie to Rank Highest for Vehicle Dependability

Toyota Motor Corporation Captures Ten Segment Awards; Ford Motor Company Garners Four

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 19 March 2009 — Buick and Jaguar each rank highest in vehicle dependability in a tie, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2009 Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS) released today.  Buick improves from a sixth-place ranking in 2008, while Jaguar improves from 10th place. Following in the top five rankings this year are Lexus, Toyota and Mercury.

Toyota garners five segment awards—more than any other nameplate in 2009—for the Highlander, Prius, Sequoia, Solara and Tundra. Lexus follows with four segment awards for the ES 330 (in a tie with the Acura RL), GX 470, LS 430 and SC 430. Lincoln captures two awards for the Mark LT and Zephyr. Models by Acura, Buick, Dodge, Ford, Honda, Mazda, Mercury, Nissan and Scion each rank highest in one segment.

“Buick has ranked among the top 10 nameplates each year since the study was last redesigned in 2003, while Jaguar has moved rapidly up the rankings,” said David Sargent, vice president of automotive research at J.D. Power and Associates. “Lexus remains a very strong competitor in long-term quality.  In particular, the Lexus LS 430 sets the industry standard for dependability, with fewer problems reported than any other model in the study.”

The study, which measures problems experienced by original owners of three-year-old (2006 model year) vehicles, has been redesigned to include 202 different problem symptoms across all areas of the vehicle.  Overall dependability is determined by the level of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100), with a lower score reflecting higher quality. The study is used extensively by vehicle manufacturers worldwide to help design and build better vehicles—which typically retain higher resale values—and by consumers to help them make more-informed choices for both new and used vehicles.

“In the current economic climate, consumers are delaying new-vehicle purchases and keeping their vehicles longer—the average age of a vehicle at trade-in has increased to 73 months in 2009 from 65 months in 2006,” said Sargent. “This makes vehicle dependability even more critical. Automakers have improved long-term dependability by an average of 10 percent each year since the inception of the study, which is a testament to the industry’s commitment to continuously improve and sustain quality, especially long-term quality. Making improvements in long-term quality not only satisfies customers who are holding onto their vehicles longer, but it will also influence their decisions when they return to the new-vehicle market or are seeking to purchase a pre-owned vehicle.”

The study finds that the frequency and severity of component replacement has a particularly strong impact on customer loyalty intentions. Component areas for which the impact is greatest include engine and transmission. When engine components are replaced or rebuilt, just 11 percent of customers state that they definitely intend to purchase or lease another vehicle of the same make, compared with nearly 40 percent among owners who report replacing no components.

The study also finds that Buick, Lincoln, Mercury and Jaguar owners are less likely to replace components than owners of other vehicle brands. While component replacement rates are similar for premium and non-premium makes, there are notable differences between vehicle segments. Owners of models in the premium sporty vehicle segment are least likely to replace components, while owners of models in the van segment are most likely to replace components.

The 2009 Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from more than 46,000 original owners of 2006 model-year vehicles. The study was fielded in October 2008.

Find more detailed findings on vehicle dependability as well as model photos and specs by reading an article and reviewing brand and segment dependability ratings at JDPower.com.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2009, 04:02:11 PM »

No real Lexus customer would cross shop a Buick with a Lexus.  That just is not reality.
I have a former co-worker who baought a Lexus ES350. She cross shopped a BMW 330i (at the time there was no 335i). Well, when she test drove the BMW, which of course is RWD, the salesman ask, "Don't you feel how different it feels from the ES350?" She said, "No, I don't." She really couldn't tell the difference. Well the lease was up on it and she got a Hyundai Tuscan, she told me, "This is so much better than the ES330, it has more space, and the qaulity is great", Well, I nodded my head, because she was talking about two different types of vehicles, yet she didn't cross shop the Lexus RX350. Nor did she cross shop the Lexus IS350 with the BMW 330i. She is all over the map...yet this is the buying public.                

allpumpedup

• Getbig II
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2009, 04:16:33 PM »
anything made by Chrysler should be avoided

agreed.  the worst cars out of the "Big 3"

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2009, 04:18:21 PM »
agreed.  the worst cars out of the "Big 3"
would chrysler still be considered part of the big 3?

the only thing chrysler i have ever driven is my charger squad car.

bench

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2009, 04:27:50 PM »
Your delusional........fact

The ES350 is just a tarted up Camry to begin with.  Compare Buick to anything else in the Lexus line up and you will hang your head in shame.  And paying $5000 up front extra for an ES350 vs a shitbox Buick is smart money as your Buick is worthless after 3 years and the Lexus is worth good money in the used market.

Please stop with the mindless flag waving for Buick - you clearly know little to nothing about cars.

Buick may have been alot of things in the past but "miserable garbage" isn't one of them...in fact Buick surpasses Lexus in vehicle dependability and that is before all of this new effort being put into the buick line-up.  Persoanlly I think anyone who pays $5,000 more for a lexus ES350 just because its a lexus over the new Buick Lacrosee which is a better, more cutting edge vehicle is a fucking moron.

J.D. Power and Associates Reports:
Buick and Jaguar Tie to Rank Highest for Vehicle Dependability

Toyota Motor Corporation Captures Ten Segment Awards; Ford Motor Company Garners Four

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 19 March 2009 — Buick and Jaguar each rank highest in vehicle dependability in a tie, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2009 Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS) released today.  Buick improves from a sixth-place ranking in 2008, while Jaguar improves from 10th place. Following in the top five rankings this year are Lexus, Toyota and Mercury.

Toyota garners five segment awards—more than any other nameplate in 2009—for the Highlander, Prius, Sequoia, Solara and Tundra. Lexus follows with four segment awards for the ES 330 (in a tie with the Acura RL), GX 470, LS 430 and SC 430. Lincoln captures two awards for the Mark LT and Zephyr. Models by Acura, Buick, Dodge, Ford, Honda, Mazda, Mercury, Nissan and Scion each rank highest in one segment.

“Buick has ranked among the top 10 nameplates each year since the study was last redesigned in 2003, while Jaguar has moved rapidly up the rankings,” said David Sargent, vice president of automotive research at J.D. Power and Associates. “Lexus remains a very strong competitor in long-term quality.  In particular, the Lexus LS 430 sets the industry standard for dependability, with fewer problems reported than any other model in the study.”

The study, which measures problems experienced by original owners of three-year-old (2006 model year) vehicles, has been redesigned to include 202 different problem symptoms across all areas of the vehicle.  Overall dependability is determined by the level of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100), with a lower score reflecting higher quality. The study is used extensively by vehicle manufacturers worldwide to help design and build better vehicles—which typically retain higher resale values—and by consumers to help them make more-informed choices for both new and used vehicles.

“In the current economic climate, consumers are delaying new-vehicle purchases and keeping their vehicles longer—the average age of a vehicle at trade-in has increased to 73 months in 2009 from 65 months in 2006,” said Sargent. “This makes vehicle dependability even more critical. Automakers have improved long-term dependability by an average of 10 percent each year since the inception of the study, which is a testament to the industry’s commitment to continuously improve and sustain quality, especially long-term quality. Making improvements in long-term quality not only satisfies customers who are holding onto their vehicles longer, but it will also influence their decisions when they return to the new-vehicle market or are seeking to purchase a pre-owned vehicle.”

The study finds that the frequency and severity of component replacement has a particularly strong impact on customer loyalty intentions. Component areas for which the impact is greatest include engine and transmission. When engine components are replaced or rebuilt, just 11 percent of customers state that they definitely intend to purchase or lease another vehicle of the same make, compared with nearly 40 percent among owners who report replacing no components.

The study also finds that Buick, Lincoln, Mercury and Jaguar owners are less likely to replace components than owners of other vehicle brands. While component replacement rates are similar for premium and non-premium makes, there are notable differences between vehicle segments. Owners of models in the premium sporty vehicle segment are least likely to replace components, while owners of models in the van segment are most likely to replace components.

The 2009 Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from more than 46,000 original owners of 2006 model-year vehicles. The study was fielded in October 2008.

Find more detailed findings on vehicle dependability as well as model photos and specs by reading an article and reviewing brand and segment dependability ratings at JDPower.com.

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2009, 04:29:38 PM »
Unfortunately you are correct - I am constantly amazed at the ignorance of the typical car buying public.  I stand corrected.

I have a former co-worker who baought a Lexus ES350. She cross shopped a BMW 330i (at the time there was no 335i). Well, when she test drove the BMW, which of course is RWD, the salesman ask, "Don't you feel how different it feels from the ES350?" She said, "No, I don't." She really couldn't tell the difference. Well the lease was up on it and she got a Hyundai Tuscan, she told me, "This is so much better than the ES330, it has more space, and the qaulity is great", Well, I nodded my head, because she was talking about two different types of vehicles, yet she didn't cross shop the Lexus RX350. Nor did she cross shop the Lexus IS350 with the BMW 330i. She is all over the map...yet this is the buying public.                

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 04:38:40 PM »
Your delusional........fact

The ES350 is just a tarted up Camry to begin with.  Compare Buick to anything else in the Lexus line up and you will hang your head in shame.  And paying $5000 up front extra for an ES350 vs a shitbox Buick is smart money as your Buick is worthless after 3 years and the Lexus is worth good money in the used market.

Please stop with the mindless flag waving for Buick - you clearly know little to nothing about cars.

The only fact is it's you're NOT "your" you stunned girl. 

Now that we have cleared that up the Buick Lacrosse is meant to compete with the ES350 which is ENTRY LEVEL If you want to move up in the Lexus lineup that is what the Caddies are for....."fact". 

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009, 04:45:09 PM »
Don't overlook Hyundai.  I have an 07 charcoal grey Tiburon SE bought at EOY for the model, and love it.  It is uncomfortable to get in and out of and I'm only 5'4" 195lbs, but once you are in it it is heaven.  Fun to drive, great seats, standard system was cool (but I upgraded thanks to a break in and state farm), and lots of cool little gauges.  The price for what you get is incredible, and I've never had a single problem...that's including being stuck in a flood back from WI in Iowa this summer.  I would recommend this company's vehicles to anyone, and I'd buy another Tib in a second if they still made them.  I like it's replacement, the Genesis......more HP's and a little bigger, but I can't see getting one in the midwest since it is RWD......especially after our first snow storm of the year being 12+ inches :o

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2009, 04:45:36 PM »
Ok Gramps - why don't you go back out in the driveway and give your Buick another coat of Turtle Wax.

The only fact is it's you're NOT "your" you stunned ####. 

Now that we have cleared that up the Buick Lacrosse is meant to compete with the ES350 which is ENTRY LEVEL If you want to move up in the Lexus lineup that is what the Caddies are for....."fact".